Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

We had a similar problem with one of the "heads" in our department. He was in charge of putting together a billing and reporting system, among other things.

For this project we are required to receive data from one of our partners, we use this data to cross reference billing information with our records in case we ever have a billing issue.

Here are the problems we had...

a) He asked us to setup an FTP server for our partner... to receive sensitive billing/client information..

b) My coworker and I advised that this was a bad idea and that we could setup an SFTP server but really we should use some sort of secure request interface or something. He did not agree but we did setup an SFTP server regardless of his feelings.

c) Instead of using the SFTP server we setup he had the partner email this sensitive billing information through our corporate mail server, which our group does not control or secure.

d) To make things worse, to import all this data into the billing/report database he used outlook MAPI calls. He asked us to install outlook on our production servers so that this could work (only because we wouldn't let him run this on his desktop). He also said that if we wanted the email to be secure we'd have to run exchange servers in production to receive the email, which we are very against because there's no need for it in our environment.

He is no longer with us, not because he had horrible security policy but because he actually didn't complete any of the projects he was assigned. My coworker has now taken over the development of this project and there is absolutely no usable code.

We now use our partners secure web API that they've always had to pull the data we need and import it into our databases for reporting using report server (which he was against too for some reason).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

m2pt5 posted:

To be perfectly honest, I can see this from the other side. When I call up or email or whatever and want to cancel something, I don't want to have to answer a shitload of questions or listen to "fantastic offers", I just want to loving cancel it.

Yea really, I hate when companies try to get you to stay on. Chances are if I'm not hassled when I want to cancel and the service was good I'll refer friend and/or sign up again later.

On the opposite side of the coin though, customers that expect a full refund even for the time they used the service are absurd, at least expect a partial refund for the days/weeks/whatever you didn't use it.

Really I don't like people being jerks either way, just because one side is selling and the other buying doesn't mean everyone has to be mean and angry, same with the support tickets.

I have coworkers that have been hung up on by our providers (Qwest, Level 3 etc.) because they were being a bit less than kind, doesn't mean the other guy on the phone wasn't being a jerk but being a jerk back never fixes the problem.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 2, 2008