Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

syphon^2 posted:

I work on the Build & Deployment Team for a large Internet software development company. This means my job (aside from handling Builds and Deployments) covers basic investigation of Test Environment problems, configuration issues, and Problems Nobody Else Wants To Deal With.

Your jargon and location lead me to believe we work for the same company. Do phrases like TPID/EAPID and WWPD hold any meaning for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

algo posted:

It can get a little absurd some times, what with incident bridges and war rooms and NOCs and such. You are typing away trying to fix the problem while some dude keeps bugging you for updates through your phone's headset. Then the ever so exciting 'root cause analysis' follow up.

Does your company HQ have a magical number for an address?
Are you working this weekend?
Does the "E*" initiative mean anything to you?

If so, we may work for the same company.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

algo posted:

1) Do you mean magical in the programming/computer sense or 3 is a magic number sense?
2) Of course, like most.
3) Who knows. We have a ton of initiatives, but nothing that I know of that starts with an E that affects me.

edit: for that matter, I don't know what building qualifies as our official HQ. Does your company have 20+ buildings in their main/starting city?

I fail.

It's not like I thought the terms you used (NOCs, war rooms, etc) are highly unique. I thought the fact that we used all the terms you used verbatim might be significant, but it's not.

syphon posted:

Dude stop trying to find coworkers on SA... in this thread, specifically. :P

What? It's worked in the past!

quote:

Here's a small gripe. Our web team has a token was pass around to designate which developer is on-call for emergency live site support.

While carrying the token, I got an emergency call from our NOC one night that just said "We have a live issue, please call into this bridge." I drop everything and hear people in the background yelling about outages and trend graphs and lost revenue. Deep poo poo, seemingly.

:( This is the on-call dev joining the bridge. What can I do for you?
:o: Oh. Go to [customer-inaccessible URL]. On the left side of the page is a broken image.
:( ...What? Isn't there something serious going on?
:o: Yeah, but we've got a handle on it. But I saw that while checking if the site is up, and I thought you should know.
:( Uhh, thanks.

An email would've sufficed. Maybe it could've waited until work hours? Maybe, just maybe, they should've been focusing on the issue at hand instead of a page that nothing on our site links to?

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I count my blessings.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Leshy posted:

To play the devil's advocate, he may want to use Lynx to check that in a text-only environment the site is still functional and accessible. It would easily point out whether the document structure is correct, whether fallback content for images, JavaScript and other objects is set correctly, and whether a mobile browser with lacking CSS support and images disabled or a screen-reader for the visually impaired would be able to properly use the page.

Of course he probably doesn't need Lynx for that as several browsers (at the very least Opera and Firefox) are able to disable plugin content, images, JavaScript and CSS and can give you the same view of the page, but the idea behind it may not necessarily be a bad one.

It's also slightly useful for SEO. Google gives no shits about your pictures and javascript.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Rohaq posted:

There's a particular BT phone ringer that still makes me shudder when I hear it.

It was the phone we used to use for 24 hour standby support. gently caress getting woken up at 4am for a home broadband user.

I put this as our rington on our new 24-hour support blackberry.

The blackberry before that? I put it in a lake.

I've sort of got a weird reputation now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

notwithoutmyanus posted:

How do you guys word the user panics from fear of change?

If were to word it as "it's not a big deal"or as a small thing, I'd get a glare from a shitload of our higher ups.
What wordings do you use, aside from trying to be positive and stressing that (whatever the irrational fear is of) the end result is a good thing/step forward? Example in this case - migration from lotus notes with no date restriction on the archive (and bad folks with 6yr archives) -> outlook with a 1yr expiration policy on emails.

Send them a PDF of "Who Moved My Cheese?"

Good enough for management, good enough for IT.