Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

A customer contacted the ISP that I work for last week with a pretty funny issue. At least it was funny to me.

About 12-15 months ago we changed our 1st line support number from some random number to one more closely aligned to our customer service number.

This poor customer has now ended up with our old support number as his own private landline number and he is a bit unhappy that a bunch of our customer service people apparently haven't bothered to update the support number in their telephone agent so he gets a lot of forwarded calls from people who cant get their internet to work.

They should supply his voicemail for the next 6 months for free, as long as he says "if you're looking for XYZ Company, you've reached the wrong number. Please call XXX-XXX-XXXX. Any messages left for them will be deleted. otherwise, please leave a message..."

But that'll never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

Our entire organisation uses this version for all our email, bulletin board and document management needs :suicide:

I can't even get the connector for MS Outlook (so I could use Outlook to send and receive email, at least) working since Notes is so old...

I... I'm sorry :(

Company I'm contracted to work for recently moved from Lotus Notes to Outlook. It's heaven (though I much prefer Sametime over OCS, which is a horrible piece of buggy-rear end junk)

Best part is that even when LN problems come in, I don't support them *transfers to LN/Outlook team* :smug:

Also, from a few pages ago about office perks:

Dress code is basically "don't dress as a street urchin or lady of the night". We also just got a PS3 and PSMove installed in the break room. I'm the only one on lunch at my time slot.

We also have a foosball table in my break room, and the one upstairs has table tennis and an air-hockey table.

Coffee from the machine is 25c a half mug, 45c full. They don't have plastic/paper cups as to go "green", so they gave everyone mugs.

Now, if only they paid better...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

That's why I got the like $0.99/mo insurance that covers repeat service calls and hardware swaps, iirc. I've gone through two modems, and when I moved to my current place I had to get 3 cable guys to come out. Finally, the third and final one looked at my line, and then she just ran another line to cover the overburdened single line, instead of sitting on the phone with the helpline trying to get someone to reboot my poo poo remotely of w/e.

I have 3 coax lines coming through the wall behind my TV, one is probably 20-30 years old and garbage, but it only took 25 minutes and a long drill bit to get my poo poo straightened out.

I was with this one ISP in Canada for a year (got the line for free from my friends father as someone ordered a 2 year lease on a line for a site that was being decomm'd within 2 weeks, that fucker got fired, anyway, I digress). The tech support we had for the site was limited as it was going through my friends fathers company, and I couldn't ask for much. We were getting 1.5mb through a line that should easily be doing 5mb. I rang the company up, told them the problem, and they, repeatedly said "you're too far from the switch, nothing we can do".

Day comes along that the lease for the line is up, we switch over to Teksavvy (awesome ISP in Canada), and have the same problem. They get a Bell tech out to check the line, and find that the phone line for the service had exposed wires. He replaced the wires, and BOOM, full 5mb service.

So we had a year of really lovely Internet because 1 company determined that it was our distance from the switch (which was all of 2-3km) instead of, I dunno, faulty lines.

I can see where they're coming from, but every attempt to get a tech out resulted in them saying no. Can't really complain though, had a free Internet connection for a year.

Anyway, back on topic: gently caress Fiberlink. That is all.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I hate our help desks help catalog. It's literally impossible to find anything in it.

I want to find a list of all resolver groups, so i don't have to ask everyone "What's the spelling for such and such obscure resolver group that doesn't come up in Remedy". Apparently we don't have one, at least, according to my searches.

Other things we don't seem to have:
- Basic troubleshooting steps for simple fixes (though we seem to have a lot of complicated ones, like ones that require pseudo-hacking the registry)
- List of which resolver groups handle what
- List of error messages for certain applications that seem to spurt out millions of error messages (ones that you can't find on Google)

Just to name a few, of course.

Also, ou know you're a total loving masochist when:

You hate repeating yourself
You work in IT.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

ok this is pretty cool http://www.ihatelotusnotes.com/

I'm so buying one of those shirts and wearing it into work.

I think everyone will end up agreeing with me.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Julianus posted:

Inception : the screenshot version.

Calling these inceptions from now on.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I, too, am curious. What the hell?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stonefish posted:

The worst thing about broken keyboards?

Broken shift key, on a machine I've never used before.
I locked my own account twice before I figured that one out. Username is all lowercase, and the local admin account is too. My password however, is upper, so I couldn't join the machine to the domain, but the guy doing it remotely could.

The right number of asterisks/dots show up as the password. How am I to know one of them isn't uppercase when it should be? :)

I've had this quite a few times over the past couple of days.

Not broken keyboards, but passwords locking out.

I usually get them to type their password in the username field to see if it comes out correctly. 90% of the time, it doesn't. 9% of the time it does, then when they try to log in again (after retyping their username), it "magically works".

That's only 1% failure rate for other issues/pebkac errors.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My "bonus" was a free-paid day off. It's something all employees get.

Other than that, nothing. Not that I was expecting something after only working for them for 3 months. Or considering I'm just a phone jockey.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On office coffee mugs: Our company gave us ceramic mugs during the entrance interview. Pretty much said "we're going green so we don't have paper or styrofoam cups anymore"

That's all well and good until you see that some people leave their coffee mugs filled with coffee... for 3 weeks... then wash it and re-use as if a small colony of microscopic organisms didn't harvest a city there for the past 3 weeks :gonk:

Needless to say, I don't use the coffee mug they gave me, as it tens to brown and look pretty horrible after from discoloration. I bought myself a nice thermos from a tea store down the road (which has a built in plunger for loose-leaf teas :3: ). My coffee mug is currently filled with salt, pepper, and ketchup packets from various restaurants.

On topic: Yesterday I had to apply for access to a network share as part of my job. The guy who received the request, also another help-desk worker, didn't know I worked for help-desk, so he forwarded me an email stating that I needed to get 'approval' from my 'line manager'.

I informed my TL, who then decided he wanted to play a practical joke on the guy. He asked me to forward the request to one of the other TL's (who that guy knew), and ask him for approval. I CC'd the guy in that e-mail as well. he replied back, CC'ing him again, and I forwarded the approval back to him.

We were all laughing our asses off, the guy didn't even blink.

If there's one thing I've learned about this job, it's that night shift and day shift workers have completely different attitudes.

Accipiter posted:

As a technical person, you should appreciate the error you are seeing.

This is my new second-favourite phrase, just after "do the needful"

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Heners_UK posted:

Do they give you a dishwasher? Having actually had a look at the chemicals that go in those, I don't find that distressing at all. In fact I think it got me out of a pickle when I left my mug full of tea while I went on leave for 2 weeks.

Wait, wait, good sir I withdraw my doubts. I was wrong.

So they don't do a normal thing and just have a load of mugs in the kitchen cupboards with ones you know are for public use and washed daily and some that you just sort of know are a specific person's? Reusing the ones for people who leave... kind of like asking the new person to get married to the old.

There's no dishwasher, we're all responsible for our own mugs. It's a free mug they gave to all employees when they start. Hell, you could've kept it at home and they wouldnt've cared, just as long as you don't ask "where's the plastic/paper cups? I'm thirsty."

Still, the state of some peoples mugs make me want to throw up. WE HAVE SOAP AND HOT WATER PEOPLE, IT TAKES ALL OF 1MINUTE TO RINSE IT UNDER THE TAP!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

:words:

Grats on getting out of that hellhole. I will miss the stories about Tony and his incompetence, however I'm sure after reading through the thread, everyone here feels like you deserve it.

Which you do.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Dick, you should make sure that he doesn't find out, for the rest of your stay.

Then when you're gone for a few days and he asks, oh yeah...

A ticket came in a few days ago. Users account kept on locking out. We traced it back using EventCombMT to a computer that ws hosting some reporting software. We close down everything we can, but it still shows some bad password attempts in LockOutStatus.

I check the scheduled tasks

calc.exe was set to execute every 10mins with the users credentials.

We were both staring at it like "wtf? who set this poo poo up". Even the user didn't know.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I've decided that tomorrow is a "jeans day." It's traditional that the first Friday following a resignation is celebrated with the wearing of jeans.

Wear a miniskirt, see if anyone comments.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I walked down to my office, emailed the HR Director and we got it all wrapped up. I'm already home!

If we ever meet, drinks are on me.

Good going on getting the gently caress out of there. Enjoy your next 1 1/2 weeks off.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

First day at the new job. Here's what I see in the breakroom:

Click here for the full 500x669 image.

I've gone from an office in a windowless storage room to this view:

My office is right next to the receptionist who is one of the best looking women I've ever seen. Tomorrow morning I fly to S.F. for the day to do some new user setups and meet some folks.

This feels like an upgrade.

My god man, you've found Shangri-La

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xir posted:

After 17 years in IT, I finally received a screenshot in a Word document.

For the company that I support, every ticket that comes from India that has an attachment is pasted in a docx file. Screenshots, worklogs, documents that require translating, everything.

Not just India, but Poland, Italy, Uzbekistan...

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

angry armadillo posted:

thank god for pstools system uptime, catches a few out...!

Amen to that. Most of our Indian users use virtual machines to do their work. We tell them to use a reboot button that we put on their desktop once per day, as for some reason we have issues with uptime and connectivity, but whatever. When they have problems and we ask when the last time they rebooted? "Yes I rebooted yesterday"

psinfo -d \\compname

Uptime: 30 days :gonk:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
On the plus side, at least you didn't have to move anything.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My job in Australia allowed me a months worth, with 2 weeks carry over.

My job here allows 2 weeks. Why does every loving Canadian job only allow 2 weeks for non-execs?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Holy god, stop complaining about computers while we're waiting for the software to download. Yes, computers are complicated. Everybody knows that. Yes, Shakespeare wrote his plays with quill pens. His children also died in infancy. Nobody loving cares. If you need somebody to talk to go to a bar or something instead of calling tech support.

I love talking with my clients about absolutely nothing that I will remember. It passes the tedium of waiting for an app to be installed, or while I pretty much fix their problems. I get kinda sad when you get the 1/20 people who don't wish to talk.

I guess that's because my first rule is "Treat them like a human, not a machine, that's what the computer is, not the user". Some people are just natural born chatterboxes, and most people love to talk.

You'd be surprised how much faster a ticket seems to get resolved when you speak to them rather than have this awkward silence filling the air.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

No, no, it's not that- my favorite calls are the ones where somebody's in from out of town and, in addition to needing help hooking up to our wifi, wants to know what a good place to eat is or something. I once had a nice conversation with somebody, while helping them reinstall some drivers, about movies we'd seen recently. I like chatting with people. My complaint is people who spend the whole goddamn call whining about how computers are hard and why can't the computer just know what I want it to do and why do they make computers so hard and on and on and loving on. It's not news that computers are complex and require some attention and learning, and his passive-aggressive "why do you guys make this so hard?" nonsense wasn't meant to be friendly or sociable.

Ah, well, in that case, I tell them to contact their manager who can then forward their request to their managers who will then CC everyone including the loving helpdesk into forwarding a message to the executives in regarding why one program on the network doesn't do what they want it to do.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there any documentation that shows that it was the Prof that downloaded that poo poo?

I feel sorry for the grad student, but glad he was able to get into another Uni.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We always seem to get our screenshots in MS Word, which is OK, since we use 2k7 and it's the easiest thing to tell users to do.

"I don't know how to do that"
"Just paste it into Word"
"Oh yeah, didn't think of that"

I can't wait for them to contact me at home on their home computers with Office 98, yelling at me for it not working.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

A ticket came in, and then another one 10 minutes later for the same problem. Yes I saw your first ticket, yes I am busy with other things, yes I will stop by when I can. Sending more tickets for the same thing is only going to make me not want to help you.

I had one guy create 6 request tickets for the exact same request, which was to modify his AS400 account so he has access to a particular product.

I modified the record, closed one ticket per normal, then 5 as duplicate.

20mins later I see 2 more requests for the exact same guy for the exact same request :ughh:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We're not allowed our mobiles to be active at work, but since I use it as my music medium (and since I don't work on the phones), no one notices I have it on (thank gently caress for bluetooth headphones).

So when this plays, randomly, in the middle of the morning, I get to scare the poo poo out of a lot of people.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FISHMANPET posted:

Somebody just won a dollar!

:golfclap:

Time to bail and start your own IT consulting company.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I use these: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/bluetooth-wireless-stereo-headset_504113

If you know what's good for you, you won't pay $200 for them (Futureshop sells them for $120).

I can usually get about 6-7hrs use of them before needing recharging. They bleed sound like a motherfucker though.

I want to get myself these, but I can't justify spending $600 on a pair of headphones: http://www.sennheiserusa.com/wireless-bluetooth-stereo-headset-cell-phone_502417

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

I'm hanging on to hope. :colbert:

I read that as "I'm hanging on to rope" :ohdear:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
How is Help Desk Guy by the way? Paternity leave yet?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Karanth posted:

This is really good advice. IBM software is garbage.

Sametime is the only exception to this. Sametime is awesome.

I've used Tivoli Service Desk before, it's not too terrible, but still terrible compared to most other ticketing systems.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I spent 1 1/2hrs troubleshooting someones Windows account today. Apparently it kept getting locked after a few seconds. After going through the regular spiel of checking everything that used a password, locking the computer and unlocking, and everything, I ran out of ideas.

I come to find out that the guy reset his password while he wasn't on the company network (the site the guy is at is remote and doesn't have a direct company connection so he did it when he turned his computer on but before he connected to the VPN). Usually it would update in AD after it saw a password update, and it certainly looked like that in the system, however it seems as if it didn't. Windows was constantly using the old password as his current password.

I had the guy stay on VPN, I reset the guys password, then had him change it through WinSec.

Why did this take me 1 1/2hrs? Part incompetance, part not having eaten in 24hrs, part because English was not his first language, and part because his username was on our slowest domain.

Holy balls, I'm gonna buy some cheap hooch.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Probably a lot easier than just moving the copier.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

I had a bag of baked lays from the vending machine. Dinner will consist of whiskey.

I eat once every 2 days.

I should really stop that. I found out that having whiskey and coke for dinner, on a day that I haven't eaten, will help me sleep, but will make me wake up still drunk. 6 1/2hrs later.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

I'm really not seeing a problem here.

The problem comes when the alcohol wears off and you stumble into hangover season.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Farking Bastage posted:

aaah flexing out overtime. My last employer did that to us.

My current employer does it. One guy who works in my department is constantly putting in an extra 30mins-2hrs each day because people keep giving him poo poo to do.

I keep telling him to claim the hours, but he never does. he's loving himself over.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Null Set posted:

People that get free tech support:
1. Parents
2. People you want to/are having sex with
3. People you owe a favor to

All others pay cash or alcohol. May vary depending on abuse of the privilege.

I've always had a system where the first one's free, the next time it's gonna be charged.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Null Set posted:

I just don't want to deal with the whining "but you did it for free last time come oooooon"

My parents never call for tech support unless it's really bad. The last time was "there's smoke coming out of the back. I unplugged it, are we hosed?"

I always tell them, up front, that the first one is free and the next one will be charged. If they don't like it, stiff.

My mother knows I'm probably the only worthwhile person to touch a computer around her house. My cousin keeps trying to bug her to install Linux.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Todays lunch consisted of poo poo I bought downstairs from work because I forgot my lunch at home. Some sort of weird chicken salad sandwich, a big rear end cookie, and chocolate milk.

I can't afford to be buying this junk.

Also, we're now losing 6 people, with the possibility of 7, within 3 weeks of each other. We've already lost 4. Hooray for being in a job with a high turnover rate. Job security is awesome. Too bad it pays like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Moey posted:

Am I in the matrix?

An email came in, one of the departments is having a cinco de mayo potluck and invited me to come eat. Tacos, taco dip, desserts, chips, salsa, and something wonderful that I ate way too much of called "Fiesta Dip".

I'm sure I will be back in reality as soon as the next helpdesk comes in.

Did anyone ask you to move anything while you were there? If so, no.