Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
Just thought I'd poke in and let you all know that "The Website is Down" just posted a new video (Episode 4.5 Part 1) in celebration of Sysadmin Day.

http://www.thewebsiteisdown.com/chipadmin.html

Pretty funny, but most of the comedy is on the screens that flash by in a split second. Keep your finger ready on that pause button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Moey posted:

Their website is down :ohdear:

It's working for me, at least now. :/

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Crowley posted:

When did The IT Crowd run that "Don't google Google" joke? I think that might be part of the cause for the rise.

Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdjRwpYM-Kw

It was Season 2, episode 5, and it aired September 21st, 2007 according to Wikipedia.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Fox_Spy posted:

With the ubiquity of flash drives, I'm not really sure this is enough. I've got a 64 gig flash drive that goes around with me in my bag. I'm not really sure there is a reasonable size to pad a file to in order to avoid theft anymore.

I think the idea was that many older filesystems don't support individual files over 4GB. FAT32 being one of them (which most USB drives come with as default).

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have come to loving HATE the google toolbar, and any searchbar for that matter.

It seems that every time I ask someone to type an address into the ADDRESS BAR (the URL http where you see the www thingy) it winds up in the google search bar and takes an hour of frustration and convincing that the GOOGLE bar != the address bar.

Depending on their browser, you can tell them it's no longer supported and uninstall it. Google just announced last month that they're dropping support for Firefox (starting with Firefox 5), due to Firefox having most of its functionality built in.

Hopefully this is a trend that will continue to IE.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

enotnert posted:

BUT HAS A MASTERS IN COMPUTER SCIENCE!

Good, then he can write a script that will just automatically mail you the check when everything goes to poo poo!

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

stubblyhead posted:

I hope it goes somewhere and that he's not tenured.

If he is tenured, I think this would fall under one of the "just cause" manners by which their tenure can be revoked.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Broken Knees Club posted:

Haha, you think tenure can be revoked. Check the statistics for a good laugh.

I'm aware of the statistics. :/

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Dick Trauma posted:

Bad news: unexpected problems possibly putting me 1-2 weeks past a deadline for getting a new location built out
Good news: no one told me the deadline had been extended by 2 weeks

I like how your pod thinks. Make up a bad event to create a more realistic life situation, and then still turn it into a good event by sheer luck.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Thel posted:

A ticket came in:

"Help help I can't access [form] that is used for [blah]. This is critical and stopping me from doing any work."

Resolution: User was advised to use [new form]. User's supervisor and manager were advised that [new form] has been in use for three years now and to please ensure all staff are familiar with the (new) process for [blah].

Seriously people. Three loving years what the jesus.

Report to HR. User has obviously not been working for the past three years.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

nitrogen posted:

Sex != Gender.

But oh god, what other choices do they WANT??

Believe it or not there are legitimate people who medically do not fall under either category, even from birth. Honestly I don't know why everyone hasn't just gone to M/F/Other by now and saved themselves a world of trouble.

Also, at the Trillian discussion, their continuous client system isn't just implementing whatever MSN does. It actually works for every service you connect with in Trillian. It's rather impressive, albeit a tad buggy at times.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

FISHMANPET posted:

I remember back in 4th grade when we first got AOL I was so excited because I figured out how to make my AOL profile say Sex: Please or some such thing.

That was a big thing in Starcraft profiles as well.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

anthonypants posted:

That's not nearly obscure enough.

B&W version:

I'll see your MS Tag, and raise you:

http://pastebin.com/9sUcaETD

ASCII (Unicode really) QR Code. Use RAW for it to be scannable. I'd paste it here but the forums go nuts on it.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Crowley posted:

On top of most tickets.. oh what's this?
*IMAGE*

gently caress!

Tickets and phone calls for everyone!

Edit: turns out it's an X9720 related problem. Good thing I have the direct number for HPs level 3 support now. :toot:

I love how it has an error "stack". The implication that errors within the program are so numerous that they might become novellas amuses me.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Bonzo posted:

That reminds me of one of my favorite lines in Blazing Saddles

Bart: A man drink like that and he don't eat, he is going to DIE.
Jim: [eagerly] When?

It reminds me of IT Crowd, which I'm fairly sure he was referencing. :smug:

(I have never seen Blazing Saddles)

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Thel posted:

(Seems to work. Strangely, though, Google Maps will override it and force color.)

Probably a good idea in general if it's printing the map itself. Google's maps look unreadable in b&w.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Jabor posted:

Nah, just tripped a circuit-breaker. It auto-reset and everything's fine.

It's a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something. :tinfoil:

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

TenjouUtena posted:

Does any C-level exec ever consult IT in a meaningful way when making any of these decisions?

Quite often... after they've already made the decision.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
How does that person make breakfast in the morning without burning their house down?

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
Movey has likely been parachuted in already and will begin hauling IT equipment to lower floors with power. Via the stairs.

e: just to move them back on Monday when the power is restored.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

ptier posted:

So I have the rare opportunity to pick out a new chair for my workstation. I am at a lab bench which is at about in-between normal desk height and standing height. I was wondering if any other goons here would have a good recommendation for a chair that is comfy and can telescope up high enough for my desk. I can spend less than $500 bucks. And this should go without saying, my rear end will be there A LOT. Any recommendations?

Also, thank you all so much for talking about your jobs, its made my love affair with Highland Park 12 year a thing that I enjoy instead of worry about.

I'd redirect that question to the almost-a-megathread chair thread in SH/SC:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
I should boot up my ancient IBM Thinkpad sitting in the corner of my room and see if I can track down CARDFILE.EXE on it. It's running Windows 95 OSR1.

(It was a pretty awesome laptop by the way. The screen was too small for a full-size keyboard, so it actually splits in half and slides up when you close it, and expands when you open it, sticking out slightly over the edges.)

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
You can't joke with users, because they'll think you're entirely serious no matter how ridiculous the set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

the littlest prince posted:

I started skimming that 404 page and thought it said something about bending over. Based on my expectations at that point, it wasn't so bad.

Yeah, I was about 2 bullet points in and my brain was flipping out at what it was reading.

Then I read snow angels. :wtc:

Edit: angles != angels