Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hadn't made any changes to playlists on my phone or computer, or to how the phone synced, all I did was try to restore the phone which somehow corrupted the library to the point where the music files literally vanished from my hard drive without warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My wife and I are throwing a Christmas party and we'd like to have all of our Christmas songs in a single playlist. Our iTunes libraries are already shared. Is it possible to create a playlist that mixes songs from both libraries, or would I need to add her songs to my own library? I'm way more :spergin: about my library organization than she is, so I'm hoping to avoid that scenario if possible.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

My wife and I are throwing a Christmas party and we'd like to have all of our Christmas songs in a single playlist. Our iTunes libraries are already shared. Is it possible to create a playlist that mixes songs from both libraries, or would I need to add her songs to my own library? I'm way more :spergin: about my library organization than she is, so I'm hoping to avoid that scenario if possible.

I've not tried, but could you turn on family sharing and then just add those songs to your "Up Next" to put it in the playlist, so to speak?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can you not edit the genre tags when you've selected multiple files? I use iTunes to organize my music for DJing and it's kind of annoying that I can't do that, especially when I have multiple versions of a song.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Sure. I do it all the time.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Weird. It doesn't let me type in the Genre but I can select from the drop down and then type something in later. This doesn't happen in any of the other fields except the genre field.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just got a new computer, and i want to transfer my apps and podcasts from the old iTunes, i put them all on my phone, but when i want to sync them onto the new iTunes, it just tells me that anything that is not in my iTunes library will be deleted from my phone. Does anyone have an idea how to transfer them?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I really need to add pictures to the OP, but the instructions are here.

IUG posted:

Moving Your Music and Library
If you are switching your computers and want to keep your library the way it was, there are one or two things you need to move. First would be the music itself, and the second would be the music library files created by iTunes.

This is the music library, with the Artist, and Albums inside of it. Standard iTunes organization.

This is the actual library files. Most of the time your mp3 (or whatever format files) are going to be stored in here.

My files are on another drive to not take space away from the OS. So I have to replace both folders. The easiest way to do this is to launch your fresh version of iTunes, let it create your new folders, and then replace them. Keep in mind you might run into a problem with your old drive name not being the same as the current. The easiest way to fix this is to use a temporary disk image. If your old drive was called "Tycho" but your new drive is called "Leela", then the library won't be able to find the files using the new location. You should be able to make a temporary disk image with the name of the old drive, and move the music into there (and any temporary folders it was in). Then change the iTunes settings to your new location, and have it consolidate to the final location.

You can also export the iTunes library file from within the program by going through the menus:

Basically, look in your Users folder of your computer, and copy over the iTunes folder. Or export it from the File menu in the program. Put those on your new computer, and sync again.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't really think to look at the OP, I appreciate the help, I figured it out.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Hi. I've never posted here before but I'm having trouble with iTunes. I downloaded a season of a show and none of the episodes audio is syncing up with the video. The audio is also glitchy and makes popping noises. I deleted a couple episodes and redownloaded them, making sure nothing else was really going on, but it's just as bad. I went into options and I can gently caress around a bit in there with the download Hz but I have no idea what I am doing. Can anyone offer advice?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Edit: I found the dedicated app thread.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 11, 2014

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Echeveria posted:

Hi. I've never posted here before but I'm having trouble with iTunes. I downloaded a season of a show and none of the episodes audio is syncing up with the video. The audio is also glitchy and makes popping noises. I deleted a couple episodes and redownloaded them, making sure nothing else was really going on, but it's just as bad. I went into options and I can gently caress around a bit in there with the download Hz but I have no idea what I am doing. Can anyone offer advice?

Are you using Airplay?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
So while I've had Yosemite and iTunes 12 on my rMBP for quite some time, I never really use iTunes on that machine. But I upgraded my workstation this week, and I've discovered that iTunes 12 has removed the ability to have individual shuffle/repeat settings per playlist, and instead now just has a universal setting. Before I start raging about how Apple manages to find new ways to annoy iTunes users with each new version, am I missing anything that would get me that functionality back?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

I just got a new computer, and i want to transfer my apps and podcasts from the old iTunes, i put them all on my phone, but when i want to sync them onto the new iTunes, it just tells me that anything that is not in my iTunes library will be deleted from my phone. Does anyone have an idea how to transfer them?

File | Devices | Transfer Purchases should do the job. Downloaded podcasts are considered "purchases."

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Kaizoku posted:

Are you using Airplay?

No. I'm downloading to my laptop and playing right from itunes on my laptop.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Is there a way to add a m4r ringtone to an iPhone from an iPhone without syncing it to iTunes?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
If I have a bunch of music on my iphone that was synched to an older hard drive that is busted and gone, am I totally screwed if I want to use itunes with my iphone and keep that music on it? It says it's synched with a different library and will clear out all the music if I try to sync with this one. A lot of the music is old and ripped from CDs so they aren't like attached to my itunes account or anything.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Pretty much. Install CrashPlan, prevent issue from happening ever again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Keep getting the "your purchase could not be completed please contact customer support at ___" in the AppStore. I did send a help request but it's been a day and will probably take another. I bought an app 3 days ago and the charge was pending on my card and finally went though today and I got the email. I've removed and readded my card to no avail. Do they have to "reset" it somehow or what?

-edit I got a gift card applied to my account and I can't even use that lol

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 21, 2014

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Geight posted:

If I have a bunch of music on my iphone that was synched to an older hard drive that is busted and gone, am I totally screwed if I want to use itunes with my iphone and keep that music on it? It says it's synched with a different library and will clear out all the music if I try to sync with this one. A lot of the music is old and ripped from CDs so they aren't like attached to my itunes account or anything.

Do you have a Mac? Senuti can pull the songs off your phone and you can add them back to your library.

https://www.fadingred.com/senuti/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Geight posted:

Try iFunbox:

http://www.i-funbox.com/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Also $25 card is $20 on gyft if anyone cares

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is it really safe to turn on itunes match and replace my lower bitrate songs with better copies downloaded from apple? My music collection has been cobbled together from all kinds of poo poo for the last 10 years and began its life on a version of winamp I had in college. I am afraid of losing something for good if I turn on match. Is it really as simple as it looks?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

Is it really safe to turn on itunes match and replace my lower bitrate songs with better copies downloaded from apple? My music collection has been cobbled together from all kinds of poo poo for the last 10 years and began its life on a version of winamp I had in college. I am afraid of losing something for good if I turn on match. Is it really as simple as it looks?

iTunes Match replaces a song once you delete it from your local library and then play or download it again.

If you wanted to be super safe, you could back up your music library to an external drive and then run iTunes Match, but it only replaces tracks if you explicitly force it to.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
My one iTunes Match warning is that it may (will) sometimes arbitrarily change explicit tracks to clean.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Modern Leper posted:

My one iTunes Match warning is that it may (will) sometimes arbitrarily change explicit tracks to clean.

Really? I switched to iTunes Match earlier this year and it seemed to get everything right, in contrast to Google Music which was way more aggressive about 'matching' files and getting the wrong version

Clint Howard
Jul 16, 2006

by zen death robot
Are there any issues with having my iTunes library on a mapped network drive? This is on a Windows network, and I always manage my library manually (I leave "keep iTunes Media folder organized" unchecked). If the networked drive is disconnected, iTunes won't blow up, will it? It won't be able to locate my music files obviously, but I assume my library will be fine until I reconnect the network drive.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Can we bitch about iCloud for Windows in here too? Because I sure liked having my Photo Stream update on my PC until the 4.0 update broke it.

My Shared Streams update fine. Old and new alike update like "magic" but my personal Photo Stream just stops updating. A few reinstalls may have knocked it back into updating but gently caress me if I can keep it going.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Clint Howard posted:

Are there any issues with having my iTunes library on a mapped network drive? This is on a Windows network, and I always manage my library manually (I leave "keep iTunes Media folder organized" unchecked). If the networked drive is disconnected, iTunes won't blow up, will it? It won't be able to locate my music files obviously, but I assume my library will be fine until I reconnect the network drive.
I've run my iTunes music library off of a CIFS share for several years now and done the let iTunes manage my files thing mostly alright. On a rare occasion, I've had iTunes permanently lose track of my album art for a bunch of albums that were inaccessible for a period of time and even though the library doesn't show me album art, iTunes' database thinks there's album art assigned, so a smart playlist will not record it as having album art. The fix for it is to simply have iTunes re-load the tags by going to the first track's information. This really doesn't work well for me since I have like... 2600 albums now.

I won't recommend letting iTunes keep the actual iTunes Music Library.itl file on the network file system though, that thing's hit constantly and network latency starts to take its toll quickly on the performance of the iTunes client.

Things work out fine as long as you try to keep iTunes from running if the network drive is down for whatever reason, so keeping your network share stable is absolutely critical to avoid having to un-suck your library if you've had to curate your library like I have.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Please suggest a different thread if I am off-base asking here... (I could see arguments for OS X Software, iPhone, iPad, etc...)

I'm about to get a new iMac. (5k, woohoo!) Im going to give my wife my iMac 2010. All our together-life, her iPad, iPhone and all her music have resided in these 2 places respectively. (her iPad/iPhone syncs to my iTunes for her physical backup as well as apps.)
Her music lives on her "login" in her own iTunes on this computer.

Now obviously it is not hard to get her music to her. (From one computer to another, as you would any media.)

My question is this: can you go find in a directory somewhere, her mobile backup or what-have-you and like, copy it over to her computer and then just kinda make it think everything is business as usual over there?

edit] Of course right after I ask you guys this I find the answer. Sounds quite simple, actually...

Let me alter the question a bit and ask you lot if anyone has experience with this and if I should look out for any pitfalls or potential snags.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 2, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Holy poo poo I updated the OP for some reason. Now with 100% less broken images, taken out some out of date poo poo, and removed the script that no longer works (and had a broken URL anyways).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Why not resize the images by half? 3840x2400 is an absurd resolution for a screenshot, especially for those on non-retina, and the images in the OP takes quite a while to load.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I didn't see imgur choke on them for some reason. And I forgot that my resolution is that big, since it's only a 13' screen.

EDIT: They're significantly smaller now.

IUG fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 4, 2015

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Regarding the new OP: I envy your OCDness with library organization and completeness. I used to have like a 13 step process I'd go through with every album in order to properly tag and catalog everything for my impeccable library but lately Spotify Premium has spoiled me and I haven't bothered or desired to worry about my actual music library in months.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can't tell if match is junk or I'm just really spoiled, but for some reason it really bothers me that it will only match half of some albums in my library--including some I bought through the itunes store. I've tried removing and re-adding the files, running them through musicbrainz picard, and turning match on and off. I have no idea why it bothers me so much that I bought a service that let me upgrade thousands of files in a few hours that failed on a few hundred tracks, but it's making me really OCD about my music now. Is there anything I can do short of ripping the discs over again (or buying them used)?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Speaking of tagging, anyone know a sane way to try to tag LPs that are directly ripped to tracks that can work with most software? I'm thinking of tracks labeled A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3 but don't want to just enumerate them as 1, 2, 3 because I might have another album named the same title with the same year that has a different track set and it'd help me figure out if it's from the LP-only release versions. iTunes doesn't seem to like my track letter-number combos last I saw, and I got random ordering.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Regarding the new OP: I envy your OCDness with library organization and completeness. I used to have like a 13 step process I'd go through with every album in order to properly tag and catalog everything for my impeccable library but lately Spotify Premium has spoiled me and I haven't bothered or desired to worry about my actual music library in months.
I kind of have to curate my own library because most of my music doesn't even show up in Spotify. Also, streaming music to a mobile device really destroys battery life in my experience and given my iPhone 5S barely lasts a work day on battery despite my best efforts keeping media on my device is still my go-to.

13 steps though? I really don't have a huge problem after I've manually entered in the audio tracks to freedb and let everything work through foobar 2000 (or Picard, whatever), have a script write the folder.jpg or cover.jpg to the tags individually (iTunes' Get Album Art won't work on 80%+ of my files), and plop everything into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder and have that do the file renaming for you. If you want to go absolutely bananas and become a music curator professional or something maybe you could just pull in data from discogs.com and that could be done with a one-off script that makes sense for whatever insane tagging system you want.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

necrobobsledder posted:

Speaking of tagging, anyone know a sane way to try to tag LPs that are directly ripped to tracks that can work with most software? I'm thinking of tracks labeled A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3 but don't want to just enumerate them as 1, 2, 3 because I might have another album named the same title with the same year that has a different track set and it'd help me figure out if it's from the LP-only release versions. iTunes doesn't seem to like my track letter-number combos last I saw, and I got random ordering.
I kind of have to curate my own library because most of my music doesn't even show up in Spotify. Also, streaming music to a mobile device really destroys battery life in my experience and given my iPhone 5S barely lasts a work day on battery despite my best efforts keeping media on my device is still my go-to.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but have you played around with the "sort album" field in the track info? You could append the Sort Album title with some extra descriptor to keep the tracks separate from other editions, or similarly-titled albums.

On the subject of album metadata - there's no way to set a year for an album outside of the year listed in individual tracks, right? I'd like to use Album Artist -> Year for my overall sorting, but compilations throw that off as I always tag tracks with their release years. That might sound like overkill but I really like using the specific years in smart playlists.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 21, 2015

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Minidust posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem, but have you played around with the "sort album" field in the track info? You could append the Sort Album title with some extra descriptor to keep the tracks separate from other editions, or similarly-titled albums.
I'm ultimately looking for a tagging layout that could work elsewhere like foobar2000, Media Monkey, etc. and not have my files look like they did in 1998 off of Napster. I'm looking for something more elegant than Album Title [LP], Album Title [Limited], Album Title [JP] kind of garbage that litters music tags from random places online. But I'd like to capture the metadata better to indicate a variant of the same album. I'd prefer something like a "release format" field so I could put down something like "UK LP" "UK CD" "JP LTD CD" and die making a microformat. I currently copied a lot of the edition information into the random "comments" field that isn't sortable or indexable.

Which field are you talking about though? Do you mean the Sort as "album" field in the below screenshot? Do you know if it gets written out to id3 tags in the generic field or if there's a field that's accepted for it? Sounds like it's worth a shot though, thanks.

Minidust posted:

On the subject of album metadata - there's no way to set a year for an album outside of the year listed in individual tracks, right? I'd like to use Album Artist -> Year for my overall sorting, but compilations throw that off as I always tag tracks with their release years. That might sound like overkill but I really like using the specific years in smart playlists.
Not sure if it'll help for your case, but the Grouping field may be helpful since it's probably the most widely abused tag for "I just want another random field."

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm ultimately looking for a tagging layout that could work elsewhere like foobar2000, Media Monkey, etc. and not have my files look like they did in 1998 off of Napster. I'm looking for something more elegant than Album Title [LP], Album Title [Limited], Album Title [JP] kind of garbage that litters music tags from random places online. But I'd like to capture the metadata better to indicate a variant of the same album. I'd prefer something like a "release format" field so I could put down something like "UK LP" "UK CD" "JP LTD CD" and die making a microformat. I currently copied a lot of the edition information into the random "comments" field that isn't sortable or indexable.

Which field are you talking about though? Do you mean the Sort as "album" field in the below screenshot? Do you know if it gets written out to id3 tags in the generic field or if there's a field that's accepted for it? Sounds like it's worth a shot though, thanks.
Yeah, iTunes will alphabetize and group by whatever it reads in the Sort as "album" field, without actually displaying that version of the title anywhere. "Get Info" is the only place you'll ever see it.

It's fun to force iTunes to alphabetize things exactly how you want it this way... I like having the band 311 sorted by the word "three," for example, while still displaying everywhere as "311". It's also a good way to keep the tracks from "1999" by Prince from mixing with the "1999" by Cassius, or "Greatest Hits" by Band X from "Greatest Hits" by Band Y... you get the idea. iTunes automatically populates this field for any band beginning with "The" btw, that's why you'll always see those alphabetized "correctly" right from the get-go.

I'm not really sure if this is manifested in an id3 tag however, or if it only exists in the iTunes data file. So I can't say if it would even show up in other media players... hmm

quote:

Not sure if it'll help for your case, but the Grouping field may be helpful since it's probably the most widely abused tag for "I just want another random field."
Oh man... I suppose it would work. But that's a LOT of re-tagging and :effort: Maybe with the comments field. Currently I use "grouping" for things like discs in a collection that have their own separate titles. Or occasionally to mimic "bonus tracks" labeling from the back cover of an album, stuff like that.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Is there anyway to prevent iTunes(12.0.1.26) from switching to the lovely 'Artists' view when you search for something while in 'Songs' view? I just want it to be 'Songs' view always and forever. All other views can suck my dick.