Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Is there a setting I need to use to get iTunes 12.2 to sync non-Smart playlists to my iPhone.

The Smart playlists synch over fine. The 'Normal' playlists don't.

*sigh*

binarysmurf fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I apologize if this comes off as a stupid question, but are you sure you didn't scroll down on your iPhone? The "Normal" playlists show up listed after the smart ones, they aren't mixed in alphabetically.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Kenderama posted:

I apologize if this comes off as a stupid question, but are you sure you didn't scroll down on your iPhone? The "Normal" playlists show up listed after the smart ones, they aren't mixed in alphabetically.

This was actually a great question, but not the solution. Apparently I have to re-create the manual playlists in 12.2 to have them sync when Apple Music is turned on. I'll get on to that..whenever. :)

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Sometimes iTunes Match is saying some of my files are from Apple Music, when they are not, they were purchased through bandcamp.

Worried that when I turn off Apple Music these files will be deleted.

Also iTunes Match is terrible now. I can't force it to start uploading my files.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Besson posted:

Sometimes iTunes Match is saying some of my files are from Apple Music, when they are not, they were purchased through bandcamp.

Worried that when I turn off Apple Music these files will be deleted.

Also iTunes Match is terrible now. I can't force it to start uploading my files.
File>Library>Update iCloud Music Library

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Did we figure out how to shuffle an artist using Apple Music yet?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm still not even sure what Apple Music is after using it for a while. It's like....Pandora? But they already had that? But you can also search for song so its like spotify?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

I'm still not even sure what Apple Music is after using it for a while. It's like....Pandora? But they already had that? But you can also search for song so its like spotify?

it's literally beats music+itunes radio+itunes match+bbc radio 1. those are the constituent parts of the service.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Oh thank you. This is a big help.

Still not excited about my legitimately purchased music being incorrectly tagged as Apple Music. That could be a problem down the line!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Thanks for this. Sure would've been nice to have it visibly somewhere on the iTunes interface instead of being hidden in a menu though. My initial issues with the new iTunes were most likely server issues and besides a few questionable design choices and album art fuckaridge, it's working fine for me now, Match and all.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

omg how do I get rid of this disgusting thing?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Fix your album cover? IVRY (the album with the purple cover) doesn't appear to be on iTunes, so I'm not sure where that art would have come from if you didn't put it there.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I don't care about the album cover or the gfx or anything... I don't want that huge banner there taking up so much screen space!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

and another thing... this is what one of my playlists looks like:

But I just started making a new one and now it looks like this:

wtf!! I don't haave the screen space for such huge-rear end layouts.

Can you roll back an iTunes update? This is abysmal.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

opus111 posted:

and another thing... this is what one of my playlists looks like:

But I just started making a new one and now it looks like this:

wtf!! I don't haave the screen space for such huge-rear end layouts.

Can you roll back an iTunes update? This is abysmal.

Change the view from "Playlist" to "Song"

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

The Modern Leper posted:

Change the view from "Playlist" to "Song"

thank you!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

opus111 posted:

omg how do I get rid of this disgusting thing?

Fix your ID3 tags.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I listen to the mp3s, not look at them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

opus111 posted:

I listen to the mp3s, not look at them.

Seeing as you're talking about visual stuff being nearly a deal breaker, you must at some point look at them...

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

Seeing as you're talking about visual stuff being nearly a deal breaker, you must at some point look at them...

I only have an 11" screen, that banner takes up too much space. It means i cant see as much of the playlists as id like. The tags are of no comsequence.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

After years of being tolerable, upgrading to 12.2.0145 has somehow made iTunes very slow to respond. This is on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. There's a good 3-4 second time gap between clicking and responding if the iTunes window is not already focused. This has never happened before, is this at all common?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Something I've been wondering for a while - what determines the year that gets associated with an album, when tracks with multiple year tags are present? For artist collections, or like a themed compilation with various artists, I tag each track with its own release year (for both :spergin: and smart playlist reasons). I'd like to sort albums by Artist/Year, but collections and anthology-type stuff always throw this off.

Is there a way to influence what iTunes chooses for the (album) year, or like some type of hidden tag value I could write with an external program?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not at my library (at work), so I can't check. But I know I have some compilations with multiple dates per album, and I'm pretty sure the most recent year in any track is what gets sorted. I guess it figures that if you have two tracks from 2002 on your 1983 album, then that's a 2002 re-release album.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

IUG posted:

I'm not at my library (at work), so I can't check. But I know I have some compilations with multiple dates per album, and I'm pretty sure the most recent year in any track is what gets sorted. I guess it figures that if you have two tracks from 2002 on your 1983 album, then that's a 2002 re-release album.
This is it! Thanks. I just tested it out with the "Naked" reissue of Let It Be. When I changed the tag in one song from 1970 to 2003, it updated the year displayed in the Albums view.

Seems like a logical enough way to handle it, honestly. So maybe I'll choose an "anchor" track on albums where the sorting is problematic. Gimmick the year on one song and maybe add a comment that I could use to exclude it from smart playlists.

The only problem now is that having "Various Artists" albums sorted by year is kind of pointless, and actively counterintuitive for browsing, but oh well. At least browsing an artist's catalog will be nicer.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

So. I installed the update with apple music and stuff and played with it a little bit and that was cool, and then I went up north for work for a few weeks beyond phone/internet service and found that itunes decided to shuffle around the music I had in my phone removing some stuff that I wanted and adding some stuff from my library that I didn't necessarily want with me so I got to deal with that for a couple weeks. Now I'm going into itunes and it's not letting me modify the music in my phone at all.

What gently caress?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

you have to turn iCloud library off on your devices

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

So it's pretty much manage my music from my computer and lose the stuff I grabbed off apple music or manage it from my phone? That seems unnecessary, I feel like there's got to be something that I'm missing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Slightly Toasted posted:

So it's pretty much manage my music from my computer and lose the stuff I grabbed off apple music or manage it from my phone? That seems unnecessary, I feel like there's got to be something that I'm missing.

Nope, that's it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I use itunes on osx 10.10.4.

I "activiated" itunes radio on my iphone

when I try to use itunes radio on my mac with something that isn't in my library, it either doesn't play (the regular stations), or it redirects to some error page that just says error.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I just wasted a few hours trying to figure out why iTunes kept maxing out one of my CPU cores, finally found the cause: Missing album art. If I have iTunes set to Always Show Artwork, and there's a placeholder icon on the screen my CPU usage goes through the roof.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm using iTunes 12.2.1.16 on Windows 8.1

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Avulsion posted:

I just wasted a few hours trying to figure out why iTunes kept maxing out one of my CPU cores, finally found the cause: Missing album art. If I have iTunes set to Always Show Artwork, and there's a placeholder icon on the screen my CPU usage goes through the roof.

hahah no way. iTunes is so bad. I used to have this exact problem on Windows years ago.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Avulsion posted:

Hahaha, exact same thing happens to me.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Anyone else having trouble using apple music today? Whenever I try to listen to any station or track that's not already on my phone it locks up and either plays something on my phone or tries to get me to sign up for apple music again and stalls. On LTE & wifi.

cheese sandwich fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 20, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Slightly Toasted posted:

Anyone else having trouble using apple music today? Whenever I try to listen to any station or track that's not already on my phone it locks up and either plays something on my phone or tries to get me to sign up for apple music again and stalls. On LTE & wifi.

Yeah it's terrible today.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's still bad even tho the status page says everything is up. Now we aren't paying anything right now so we cant complain too much but its annoying.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I definitely get the impression that the three-month trial is basically a way to have an open beta without calling it that.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

The rear end Stooge posted:

I definitely get the impression that the three-month trial is basically a way to have an open beta without calling it that.

Concur.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The rear end Stooge posted:

It's also marketing genius.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Is there a way to simply "Shuffle Artist" in Apple Music without actually adding all of their music to my library and then going to the artist pane and hitting shuffle?

Seriously on Spotify it's like the #1 front and center option when you view an artist's page. How is it this hard Apple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Man my computer is acting slow this morning... time to check activity monitor.