Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Edit: Nevermind. I upgraded my BIOS after other programs kept doing the same thing and everything is snappy.

-Dethstryk- fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Girl With Huge Tits posted:

When my iPod syncs with my music library, does it sync both ways? I'm curious if the Play Count and Last Played fields reflect only whats happened from the music library and if my listening from work on my iPod has any bearing on them.
Yeah, if you listen to something on your iPod, it updates the last played and play count fields when you sync it back.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

The Dissonant posted:

What is a program other than ITunes that can sync your Ipod with your library? For some reason, the GUI on Itunes 8 displays completely black on Vista, I can't see a drat thing. Any alternative program will do, as long as it supports syncing.
You might want to try updating drivers or figuring out what is causing the display to be wonky. It's not a Vista issue.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

TLG James posted:

This may be a really stupid question but I don't use iTunes for anything except syncing music.

I want to have a workout playlist and a normal playlist. Some of the music on the workout playlist I want on my normal playlist, but not all of it. If I just build 2 seperate playlists with 40 or so duplicate songs, will it take up double the space or is it smart enough to realize that the song is already on it.
It's smart.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Kristneder posted:

I just finished reformatting my computer, and I ran into a small problem - I forgot to backup the games I've purchased for my iPod. Is there a way to re-download the games I've bought though iTunes, without having to pay again?
Just go to their page in the store and click the price/buy button. It should say you've already purchased it and let you download it again.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Casao posted:

You have to email their support and beg and plead to get it put up for redownload.
Weird. I don't know what I'm thinking about then, because it's worked like that for me before.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm going to delete every bit I can of iTunes (except my library) to try and reinstall and fix issues after the 8.1 update. Would the best way to do this be just to uninstall every Apple program, and then delete all the directories I can see that are left over?

(The issue: When upgrading to v8.1, the installer just sat for hours doing nothing, verified by my resource monitor. I killed the task and installed v8.1 manually. Now it does "installing device driver" every time I update my iPhone, and won't sync what I listened to on my phone to the computer. My iPod classic works fine, except if I right-click and hit sync, it locks iTunes up until I unplug the iPod. I have to sync by just unplugging it and replugging it.)

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

IUG posted:

The only thing I can think of to help you is try to make sure you have the most up-to-date version of Quicktime. If that doesn't help, maybe quicktime would benefit from a re-install too?
I plan on nuking Quicktime as well, so I assume it will grab a new copy of it when I reinstall iTunes. Thanks.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

syphon posted:

Hmm, does the Apple Software Updater thing utilize iTunes 64 bit?

I had the 64 bit version of iTunes 8.0 installed, and ran the Apple updater. Now, i'm running the 32 bit version of 8.1.
Every time I've installed 64-bit iTunes, it still goes into the x86 programs. I don't think it's actually a 64-bit program yet.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

pokeyman posted:

Before you get too far along, keep in mind that an archive and install takes like 20 minutes. Add on maybe an hour total dragging apps/settings over and you're back to where you were, except (in all likelihood) with working iTunes/QuickTime.

Just something to consider before spending four hours aimlessly browsing forums, blogs and newsgroups. I've definitely made the wrong choice before in a "must solve problem!" fervor.

e: If you're on Mac OS, I mean. Windows tends to be a bit more involved in a reinstall.
Definitely on Windows, or I probably wouldn't be having these issues. :)

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

mobn posted:

Is the latest version of itunes really laggy and lovely for anyone else? Anytime I'm doing anything while iTunes is playing it starts skipping, getting crackly, playing in slow motion for split seconds, etc. It can't be my computer's performance because it's a drat Core 2 Duo with 4 gigs of ram and a decent Intel motherboard. I'm running Windows 7 pro. What the hell is going on?
I'd update every driver you can, because there's no reason you should see anything like that.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
It will also update automatically at around midnight or 1am. I can't remember which it is.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Ziploc posted:

It worked in iTunes9. Stuff I finished on the PC would disappear from the list and the iPhone and stay that way. I don't know why it stopped, but now it dissapears from the playlist and then gets re-added by the phone.
I'm having similar syncing issues with iTunes 10. I also had these problems in earlier versions of iTunes 9, but they were fixed in the most recent releases. I don't know how they gently caress this up so much.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

trilljester posted:

Do I have to sync all of the playlists, or just the final resulting playlist?
Just the final.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm going to be reorganizing my music library and would like to just somehow automatically update the path location after the move so I can preserve my metadata. I don't let iTunes manage my music library at all, as it's all organized on a separate drive in its own structure I maintain.

The stuff I pulled up on Google dated back to 2007 and 2006, and involved editing the XML with a find->replace and letting iTunes repair the database, but I'm going to end up changing every album's folder name to add the year, so that won't work for me. It's been long enough, I was hoping that maybe there was a smarter way to do this by now.

If not, I can deal with the metadata being lost, but it would be nice to keep it.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

chimz posted:

Or you could shed your OCDitude and let iTunes manage it. It'll do iTunes Media/Music/<Artist>/<Album>/DiscNum-TrackNum Name.mp3 for you. Just set your wanted music location in Advanced prefs, then do File-Library-Organize Library, and select both Consolidate and Reorganize. Make sure to enable the Keep and Copy options in Prefs-Advanced afterwards.
You know, I'm not sure why I've always avoided that, but I might try this. I have my iTunes directory on my music drive as well, but it's pretty much just for podcasts. If I let it start doing the sorting, I'll just have to make sure my tags are done correctly before throwing them in there to make it easier.

Thanks. I think I'll try this and see how it goes.

Edit: Holy poo poo I feel liberated already

-Dethstryk- fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Ridonkulous posted:

I added some new albums today and it created playlist for every album.
Is this new or did my wife gently caress with settings when I was not looking?

If you had some kind of playlist file in the folders for the albums, that causes it. It happens to me all the time while I've been working on converting over my OCD music collection to iTunes management.