Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Very useful thread, thanks. It inspired me to clean up my library.

However I am still trying to figure out how best to deal with my setup. I have two iTunes libraries, my full one at home (on a Mac) with about 40gb of music and a smaller one at work (on a PC) with about 5gb. But the one at work I take more care of - rating music, pruning it, tagging it, etc.

Now I know I can't really maintain two separate libraries, especially with an iPod and two different operating systems. I wouldn't mind consolidating the libraries, but the only way I see that happening is putting all my music on a external drive and dragging it back and forth to work, which I don't want to do.

Is the only way to maintain one library to leave my home Macbook on and connected, and do some kind of network share, playing / modifying that library?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yossarko posted:

I finally set up iTunes to properly display (read: do not display) artists in a compilation, and to sort correctly with the sort tags. It's great, but I'd like to have the same thing for my iPhone 3G.

I don't have all that much music on it (8GB) but I have three compilation albums / soundtracks that fills my "Artist" page on the iPhone with garbage (many, many one song artists). I can barely use the Artist page anymore.

Any way to get around this ? Tried googling, but seems it's not a feature ?

I was wondering about this too. I asked in the iPhone thread but they're too busy talking about Craigslist. I found a tip to add a "#" in front of the artist in the sort tab, but that didn't seem to help.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

American McGay posted:

Yeah, if you're letting iTunes manage your library (which you should), when you purchase (download) a new album, add the folder to your library and then delete the folder.

Is this the general consensus? I still have my directories split by genre, the same file structure I created literally in 1998. Now there's obviously less of a need since I'm not manually playing things through Winamp, but I wasn't sure if iTunes was to be trusted with moving my files around.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hah, thanks. I guess I'll give that shot then.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone setup Home Sharing over the internet? I'd just like my ratings and such that I do on my work computer to sync up with my home computer.

Is it as simple as setting up something like Hamachi X?