Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man I hate iTunes, but I know that it is probably my own lack of knowledge in the area. Here's what I want to do:

- Have a iTunes library shared on my (WHS) server.
- Allow multiple iTunes clients to access the library.
- I'd like the clients to be able to sync to various iPods/iPhones.
- I'd like clients to be able to sync purchased music FROM the clients TO the shared library.
- I'd like to be able to specify where the purchased content (or more accurately ANY content that is added via a client) goes, from a folder level. This will allow me to tag and store it according to my OCD folder structure.

Is this possible? Right now I use SharePod and just put whatever music I want on the drat thing via click and drag. My wife wants to be able to create exercise playlists and what have you via iTunes and sync to her iPhone. I have iTunes installed on her Vista laptop, but it runs like absolute rear end, has a habit of losing tracks in the library, and will occasionally just refuse to open.

To add to that, I'd also like my HTPC to always have an up-to-date music library as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So how do you guys with large collections manage your iTunes portable devices? I have a 100gb+ Music folder on the server, but I've had bad luck in the past with just adding all of my music to iTunes: very sluggish performance, tracks (sometimes complete artists) disappearing, determining gapless playback that never stops ever...it hasn't been good. Should I just pick out songs/albums I like and only add those, then build my playlists and what not from there?

Also, I'm trying to sync my iPhone, and I'm in a weird position. I haven't synced with iTunes in months. I moved my \iTunes directory to a new computer. I want to sync all the information in the phone to the iTunes library, including all the apps and data. When I try to sync, I get a message saying that the phone is synced with another library and doing this will erase the contents of my phone. Not good!

If I've purchased music from the phone directly, do I just not worry about the "YOU ARE ABOUT TO PURCHASE THIS SONG" box when I'm redownloading it via iTunes?

Edit: One more! Is there an easy way to view previously purchased apps/music in iTunes? I can get to the screen where you view the individual charges made to the account, but there's got to be an easier way than that, right?

EC fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 18, 2009

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks for the help, I'll definitely check that out. Smart playlists are the reason I want to (finally) adopt iTunes (well, that and the iPhone kinda dictates that I have to).

For the purchased stuff, there's a "transfer purchases" option in one of the menus that took everything on the iPhone (music/apps) and put it in the library. So that worked!

Yet another question: with a lot of people upgrading to the 3GS on Friday, what is the best method of making sure all my info will come over? I'm thinking that I'll sync/backup in iTunes, then just do a restore to the new phone. Will that get all my app saved data as well?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So it's the network connection that kills iTunes? I wonder if I installed iTunes on my server, then shared the library across the network, if I would be able to just drag and drop from that library to my iPhone and sync stuff like ratings and playcounts back.

My Purchased playlist only has one thing on it, as does the Purchased on iPhone playlist. No biggie, I probably don't need 60 apps installed anyway.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Since iTunes doesn't store the rating information in the tags, is there a plugin or something that will (a) tag the ratings into the tags and (b) read the existing ratings from the tags and write that into the iTunes db? I'm trying real hard to use iTunes, but it's so alien from what I'm used to doing...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

When I had to move them, I just sorted by ratings, and then added to the comments "5" for 5 stars, and so on. When I moved the files, I changed it back. Just make sure that when you do this have the comment field visible right next to the stars, just so you can see if you're going to overwrite anything in those fields.

But I want to use the ratings I'm making on my iPhone in other applications that read my music directly from the server, not via iTunes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm pretty sure there's no way to do this, but I figured I would ask here just in case. I've got XBMC setup and pointed at my music library. To get the crazy cool looking fanart/artist images, though, you have to have a dedicated Artist folder. Right now all of my music is in \Genre\Artist - Album\ format. Everything is tagged in a standard fashion, so actually changing the folder structure is trivial. Just test it with Tag & Rename to make sure it works and let it run.

That's going to completely break our iTunes libraries, though. Since iTunes struggles when adding ALL of my music to the library, I've just been adding the albums I want and using smart playlists to sync them to my phone. My wife does something similar. So if I change the entire folder structure, iTunes won't be able to find those files, and I would have to add them back in.

That isn't a big deal, but I'd like to be able to keep all of my ratings and play count information somehow. Am I just kind of hosed on the ordeal? The actual filenames/tags won't be changing, just the paths.

evensevenone posted:

Is there a way to make playlists only include full albums? Like I want a smart playlist that contains the 5gb most recently added, but I don't want it to include half an album or a single song from a bunch of albums.

Just tested, and it looks like if you use "Limit to 5 GB selected by album" it will pull in the entire album. The only issue I see is that iTunes doesn't know that it isn't the FULL album, so if you have only 2 songs on a particular album it will put both of those in the playlist.

EC fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 18, 2009

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

chimz posted:

If you're OK with letting iTunes deal with your filesystem, you can consolidate your library, and iTunes will move all your stuff to Music/Artist/Album/TrackNum-Discnum Trackname.mp3.

If you were on a Mac, I think you could just move the files and iTunes will magically find them as long as they're on the same hard drive. Try moving just one and see if iTunes finds it. (Move it while iTunes is off!)

I'm not sure I'll ever be OK with iTunes having that much control over my library. That plus the fact that it only has about a tenth of my library now due to performance issues scares me away from doing that. I tried moving an album, but iTunes just puts an exclamation mark beside it and goes about it's business.

I wish there was a way to export/import metadata. Or at least sync ratings to the ID3 tags and have iTunes reimport that info. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

wolffenstein posted:

Dude just use Home Sharing.

That doesn't work for apps though, right? I tried dragging an app to my wife's library and it didn't work (I also tried from her computer and it didn't work either).

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Alfalfa posted:

Is there a way to set up a playlist or rule of some sort that any song that i rate a 1star automatically gets remove from my ipod the next time I sync it?

I have iTunes setup to only sync checked songs, and then I use a smart playlist to list out all songs rated with one star and just select all > uncheck.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I use iTunes to manage music on my iPhone. I have it set to sync the entire library, but only checked songs. When I'm actually playing music through iTunes itself, though, it skips unchecked songs. Is there any way to disable that?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cacahuate posted:

Why would you want to keep songs that you don't want to play with your iPhone or on iTunes? Why not just delete them?

There's a lot of music that I'd like to listen to at my computer that I don't necessarily want on my iPhone 24/7.

It seems like I have to go the playlist route, which I can do. It's weird how iTunes assumes you have enough space on your device for your entire music collection, though.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I had to reinstall Windows today. I backed up everything to my WHS box, and have been slowly but surely restoring everything (unfortunately I had to do a new install so I can't use the WHS restore disc). For iTunes, I copied the iTunes folder to My Music and renamed it, then installed iTunes. I opened it up, authorized my account, then shut it down and copied everything from the original iTunes folder to the newly created one. When I open iTunes now, my library and everything is there, but if I attempt to play a song I've purchased, it tells me it can't find it.

I realized belatedly that this is because I changed my login name, so now My Music exists under C:\Users\NewName\My Music\iTunes. Is there a way to bulk change the file locations for purchased music, or do I have to go through and manually locate each one?

Edit: Just dragged the music back into the library and manually deleted the dupes.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 2, 2010

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Jesus gently caress I have entered iTunes hell over the last day or so. Like I mentioned above, I reinstalled Windows, thinking that I was doing everything good by backing up the iTunes folder. Not really. Not only did it not find any purchased music, when I finally got around to letting it sync it erased (almost) all my apps.

What is the proper method of migrating your iTunes library to another computer? I thought as long as I kept the folder I was doing good, but I forgot to keep the paths the same. Now I'm going through the painful process of reinstalling all of my favorite apps, one at a time. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

wolffenstein posted:

Try this.

This is working for music (which is good), but doesn't seem to import any applications. I don't even have the application library at this point. Do I just need to drag wanted apps into the library? I'm resigned to losing my saved data at this point, which completely sucks. Excluding games (oh god Angry Birds and Hook Champ), I still lose all my poo poo in Things and Shazam. :(

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I setup Home Sharing awhile ago so my wife and I could copy songs back and forth. I had to reformat my laptop, and even though I've authorized both her and my iTunes account, I can't drag and drop songs from her library into mine. Am I missing something dumb?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been using song ratings a lot to have an easy way of listening to the songs I like and also to remove songs from my iPhone that I don't like. I have a couple of questions, though:

- Is there any way to sync iTunes ratings with the actual ID3 tags? I'd like to use these ratings OUTSIDE of iTunes (like in XBMC). If there's a way to sync ratings back into iTunes that would be sweet as well.

- I created an "Unrated" smart playlist to help me rate stuff in my library. The problem is that as soon as I rate a song, it's removed from the playlist. That's not a big deal, but if I'm listening to the song it stops playback and moves to the next track. Kind of aggravating. Is there a way to leave it in there until the next song starts playback?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

maltesh posted:

Turn off "Live updating" on the Smart Playlist.

Playlists that aren't Live updating do update at some point, though exactly when the current version updates them is a question I've not yet researched. In the past, I recall it being "When you synch the playlist" or "When you reboot iTunes"

Excellent, thanks!

Amphigory posted:

Just thinking about this - you could write a wee Autohotkey script or something, combine it with some smart playlists, and you could automate this to get pseudo-syncing...

I hadn't thought of using another tag...hmm. I'll explore that and see if I can get something cooking.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Morkai posted:

Does anyone know of a quick and easy way (Windows user) for me to remove all of a certain tag from my files? I specifically want to strip lyrics, comments, and BPM from 5000ish songs...

I've been using things like TuneUp and MP3 Diags to get all of my metadata just the way I want it, but I don't know of anything that will just kill tags I don't want.

I don't know about the two you mentioned, but Tag & Rename will strip the tags away pretty easily. I did to all of my collection at one time when I first started getting it organzied.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
This is only tangentially related to iTunes, but I'm not sure where else to ask. I'd like to figure out a way to sync stuff that I purchase from iTunes (currently on a Win7 laptop) to my server (WHS) so it'll show up on my HTPC.

Is there a way to tell iTunes to move particular files into a specified directory with a specified file name? I like to keep my music organized a specific way (\Genre\Artist - Album\Track - Title) so it's easy to find stuff.

I suppose I could move the files out of the iTunes directory and then edit all the tags with Tag&Rename and then add them back manually into iTunes, but that just seems like such a pain in the rear end. I guess I'm looking for any and all possible solutions on how to approach the problem.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
We just got an iPad, and I'm going to use my iTunes account to manage content on it. I'm looking for a way to tell iTunes to automatically sync (a)every app I specify (b)new iPad apps that are in the library and (c)exclude new iPhone apps. Does this exist?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
gently caress. I was clearing up some old podcasts, and somehow selected all of them and deleted them. poo poo poo poo poo poo. The files are still in the recycle bin, but is there a way to auto-add them, along with the subscriptions, back to iTunes? I don't want to find and subscribe to the 50 or so feeds I was subscribed to before.

Hell, I probably don't even remember what they are unless they're on my phone.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My wife got a new job, which means a new laptop, which means I have to migrate her existing iTunes library to it. I've done this before, but the location of the library has always stayed the same. My method before:

- Install iTunes on new laptop
- Move the \users\username\my music\itunes folder from old laptop to new
- Open itunes on new laptop and authorize it
- Sync

In this case, though, I'm going from Win 7 > WinXP (don't ask me why a worldwide company is still running on XP), so the path to the files are going to be way different. Can I edit the library.xml file manually with the new paths, or should I do something else?

Google returns many, many different ways of doing this, some of them conflicting with each other.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Choadmaster posted:

Thanks! This worked great. Unfortunately she had her music in about 5 different directories, but I think I've gotten that sorted as well.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I've been having a problem with iTunes and the way it syncs apps. I have an iPhone 3GS and an iPad. Back when I just had the iPhone, iTunes just installed all of my apps and whatever I didn't want I deleted from the phone itself and all was well.

Now that I've got my iPad, I want to be picky about it. There are certain universal apps that I only want on one device. So I go into Apps and check off the apps that I want per device. The problem comes when I upgrade iOS versions. When I update, it goes through everything and then finally syncs the device, but it doesn't save my selected apps. This results in me having to manually check all the apps again, and then recreate all my folders so I don't have 20 pages of poo poo.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thank god it seems to store the app data so when they do sync I don't lose anything, but it's annoying as hell. I've been running the iPad OS beta so I've been updating more than usual.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm using FireFly to stream music from my WHS box to various clients around the house. It's working great, but I'd like to be able to grab a track/album and put it into my main library for syncing to my library. I know I can do that just using the Windows Explorer, but this is mainly to make it easy for my wife. Is there any software that will do that?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I keep all my music on a server, and recently built a new one. I thought I had added all of music to iTunes using a mapped network drive, but apparently quite a few albums were added via SMB (this is all on Windows). So now iTunes thinks tracks are at \\OldServer\Music\path\to\track, and it's actually in \\NewServer\Music\path\to\track.

Is there a way to mass edit these files to reflect the new server name? Or to even see a list of files affected without manually scrolling through the library? I know I can simply delete the files and re-add them, but then I lose playcounts, rating, etc.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

IUG posted:

I don't have any experience with keeping the media files over the network, but couldn't you just select the network drive's folder in iTunes' preferences, and then tell it to consolidate your library to do it?

I'll give that a try. I'm not sure if it'll work, as I don't have all the music on the sever in iTunes, just specific albums.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is this the thread for iTunes account issues? I hope so.

I got the usual email with my latest purchases, two apps and a song. The apps I actually purchased, but the song I didn't. It's not on my iPhone or iPad, or in my iTunes library. I had my wife change my iTunes password (I wasn't at home and couldn't figure out how to do it on my phone), then I started looking through my purchased items in the app store and iTunes. Nothing unusual except this song.

I'm finally back at home, and I'm going through my Purchase History (which is an incredible pain in the rear end) but I don't see anything else weird. I used the 'report a problem' form so we'll see what Apple says, but is there anything else I should do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My Win7 iTunes installation seems to be hosed, and I've barely used it. I installed it several months ago when I got my new laptop, and added a few albums to the library so I could play them while using VLC for something else. Now it won't connect to the store, check for updates, or allow me to sign in to the store. I get different errors that all amount to "check your network settings."

I have a 5S coming Monday, so I decided today would be a good day to backup get my 4S synched with iTunes so I can backup/restore locally rather than having to wait on my lovely internet to do it via iCloud. I had to update iTunes, so I decided to uninstall/reinstall in the hope that it would fix the problems it has connecting to the internet. It didn't.

My 4S is backing up now, but I'm worried that since iTunes can't see the internet it won't let me activate and restore the backup onto my 5S. So far I've:

- Checked that iTunes and Bonjour service are allowed in the Windows firewall
- Checked the hosts file, even though I've never done any jailbreaking on this computer I figured I would check
- Uninstalled/reinstalled iTunes

What else can I try?

Edit: well it says it's backing up but it's been at "estimating time remaining..." for about 20 minutes now. :(

Edit2: This article fixed my connection issue, after I uninstalled every piece of Apple software and reinstalled iTunes again. Hopefully this will fix the backup stuff too.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2013