Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Lewk posted:

Oh wow, this is great, I finally understand how I might use playlists properly.

I have a question though. I should have a 4gb Nano arriving in the post soon, and I've been wondering how to store my music on it. Ideally I would like to have a few 'stock' albums on there, which will be pretty much permanent, and then the '1 week' and '4 & 5' playlists on there, which obviously will change dynamically. is it just a case of dragging the playlist across to the nano? Would that then copy across all relevant songs as well and keep it synced? My library is around 30gb, so not huge.
By default iPods sync automatically, so if you choose a smart playlist to sync, the iPod will automatically copy and delete songs to reflect that smart playlist. It's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
One thing I'm noticing about this thread is the lack of consideration of OS. iTunes works on Mac and Windows, and it's easy to forget that. Solutions for one OS don't always work for the other.

I don't think this thread is the place to discuss issues between iTunes and the OS (file system, hardware, etc.), but I'm not the original poster. Limiting it to just iTunes, as in interacting with the program itself, seems the right focus for this thread.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just installed XP 64bit edition on my PC to take advantage of 4 gigs of RAM. To my horror, iTunes doesn't work on this edition of Windows.

I have an iPhone that I use daily, and I have to get it working with my PC. I don't want to have wasted money on this RAM. What recourse do I have?
In the other thread I meant go back to XP 32-bit OS.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I guess this is what I have to do. I've tried all the workarounds I've found on the web and each has failed.

I'll have over a gig of ram totally inoperable, unless anyone can offer a solution.
Buy Vista 64. XP 64 sucks for many reasons.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It's really simple. Consolidate your library (which copies all your media to the set iTunes library folder), then copy the folder to the hard drive. You're done.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

deathmerc posted:

I hate the way iTunes syncs my Podcasts. Sure, I want you to copy all new podcasts to my iPhone, and remove ones I've listened to as well. But why delete it when I'm half-way through? That's crazy.

Is there a smart play list or something I can do so iTunes will:
* Copy new podcasts to my iPhone
* Remove ones that I've listen to 99% of
* Leave alone anything I'm halfway through

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Identity Thief posted:

Sorry if this was covered already - I'll admit I didn't read every post on all 15 pages....

I'm putting language audio CD on my iPod - I have the disks and already imported them into iTunes.

Is there a way to get iTunes to categorize these as Audio Books so I can find them in that category instead of Books & Spoken Words? I don't really want them listed in my music, but instead just to show up with the rest of my audio books.

Thanks
Select all files you want converted to Audiobook. Right-click and choose Get Info. Click the Options tab. Choose Audiobook under Media Kind.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

suboptimal posted:

Anyone have any pointers?
Are you sure the changes you make are being synced to the iPod? Have you done a sync after removing the Audiobooks (or whatever) playlist then another sync after adding the playlist again?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That's good advice and all, but the iPod Touch and iPhone got rid of disk mode.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
On the OS your music ISN'T stored, hold down ALT while opening iTunes. You will have an option to open another library, browse to your iTunes folder on the other partition. Click OK and you're done.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

mexecan posted:

Okay, it's time. With Apple starting the free ipod for students deal I foresee a mac purchase for me in the near future.

A question: copying my mp3s from my PC to the Mac should be straight forward enough. However, is there any way to also transfer over my itunes data (preferences, lists, ratings etc) so I'm not starting from scratch?
Consolidate your library then copy your iTunes folder (where all your iTunes media is) to the Mac. Done.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Ziir posted:

I got really excited hearing about the Home Sharing feature but I'm reading another article right now and it says that Home Sharing only works for tracks purchased on the iTunes Store. Is that true? Because meh, talk about going from 12 to 6 in a few seconds.

quote:

HT3819 Says
You can still manually transfer iTunes Store and other content between Home Shares.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
File > Show Duplicates

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Well there's Dupin but if price is a major factor, see if one of his AppleScripts will do the job.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

stripeymonkey posted:

Fairly new to itunes and I'm wondering whether, if you have several smart playlists synced to an ipod, itunes will only load a song onto the device once even if it's in more than one playlist.
Yep.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You can convert files straight from iTunes. Right-click and choose "Create [format] Version". Format and bitrate can be changed in Preferences, Import Settings.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 25, 2009

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

mattfl posted:

Does music in itunes work the same was as iphone apps? I have 2 authorized laptops on my itunes account, my wife's and mine. If she buys an album on her laptop, can I just re-download it on my laptop or will it force me to rebuy it?
Dude just use Home Sharing.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

EC posted:

That doesn't work for apps though, right? I tried dragging an app to my wife's library and it didn't work (I also tried from her computer and it didn't work either).
According to Apple Home Sharing works for applications too.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Space.Plant posted:

Is there a way to back up iTunes library information to import to a Mac from a Windows computer?

I'm getting a new Mac soon and was wondering what is the easiest way to keep the library information intact, if possible. I was thinking of using SharePod, but it doesn't mention anything about a windows-iPod on a Mac, just vice versa.
Just copy the iTunes folder over. Consolidate your library if you don't already do that.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Downloaded only. Album art embedded in files are not modified.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If she has her own computer, set up Home Sharing.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

maniacripper posted:

Anyone ever have an issue like I'm having?

Whenever I'm downloading a podcast from itunes my internet connection takes a huge poo poo, it doesn't matter if it's getting a single one, or grabbing 3 at the same time. It completely fucks everything, web pages won't load, etc...

I'm guessing it's a router issue because my ISP provided 2Wire router/modem is known for being pretty terrible.

I'd like to know if there's any tcp or udp ports I could mess with to try and solve the problem.
It's probably your router. There is no reason to open ports or mess with your router configuration if you're downloading podcasts. Your computer initiates the connections, so most firewalls don't block any communication.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You didn't specify which OS you use, so I'll assume Windows. Does she use Windows Media Player at all? Even by accident? Is it installed on your computer? Is WMP associated with any file? I've heard numerous anecdotes WMP mysteriously deletes stuff. The only files iTunes will delete automatically are old podcasts (unless you change it) and rentals from the iTunes Store.

Another idea is the playlists she might be using. If she uses the Recently Added playlist, it may have dropped off the list, and if so, it's still in the Music library.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You'll have to get your music off the iPod using third-party software. As you and most people found out the hard way, native iTunes and iPod/iPhone/iPad syncing is one-way (from iTunes to device). Getting your actual music won't be a problem, but don't hold your breath for ratings and playlists.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It might be lame, but iTunes automatically fills in the sort name and album based on certain criteria. For bands starting with "The", iTunes will omit that in the sort name tag so searching for artists alphabetically is more logical (at least to me). Fuckin' smug rear end bands think they're "the" poo poo.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Apple smugness answer: well since iTunes is managing your music, why do you care about the filenames? iTunes is designed so you don't ever need to browse your music through Finder or Windows Explorer ever again.

Nonsmug answer: iTunes tries to ensure cross-platform and cross-file system compatibility, so it replaces all special characters including periods with underscores. Why periods? I'm not sure, but perhaps it's to not confuse the user and/or the operating system.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Try this.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Skip five seconds ahead in song: Option+Command+Right Arrow.
Skip to next album: Shift+Option+Command+Right Arrow.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
iTunes only deletes old podcasts and movie rentals without user intervention. It won't delete anything else without user confirmation. So your girlfriend or you are dumb. Congrats.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Ularg posted:

I have one other computer that has the Music I bought on it, and I made a playlist with all of it, do you think I could just burn it to a CD and than rip it to this computer to get the music on it? I'd say just transfer it, but it's fileformat is something idk will work.
If the two computers are on the same network, use the Home Sharing feature.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

SebAndSeb posted:

Say I transferred all my music when switching to Windows 7 by just backing up my Itunes Media folder and then pointing there and clicking 'Add Folder to Library'. Since my iPod Classic was set to automatically sync to the old library I know it's going to want to wipe everything and put it all back on when I connect it, but what happens to the couple of games I bought for it? Will it let me put them on there, and if so will the progress in those games be deleted? I don't want to do all those Peggle challenges again :suicide:
If you still can, open iTunes while holding ALT or CTRL (I can't remember which one for Windows), then Choose Library and navigate to your backup. iTunes will know it's the same setup from your old OS, and you'll be able to sync your iPod with no problems. Otherwise you're SOL.

Scaught posted:

I have my iPhone set to manually manage music and videos but I would like to be able to put premade playlists on there. Is there anyway to accomplish this?
Use Smart Playlists.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Of all the multitude of failures that is iTunes, the fact that you can't re-download your music is the worst.
Given you can redownload apps you've purchased to your heart's content, I suspect the media companies stipulated this in their contracts with Apple.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Probably keep your iTunes media folder on an external hard drive then point iTunes to it every time you reinstall.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yeah you're asking for a world of hurt with that. If you have the space though, iTunes' Home Sharing feature is a supported compromise.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Don't use Album List view. Switch to another view.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
For you, this bad:

This good:

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
So right-click the column headers and Uncheck the album column.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Guess your poo poo's hosed then bro sorry :(

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Uninstall and reinstall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Copy the iTunes folder in My Music to external. Copy to ~/Music (~ = your home folder for the account).