Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I've used iTunes with the database on an external hard drive since Mac OS 9 and version 1.0

Make alias of iTunes music folder, point alias at external drive, name appropriate so iTunes can't replace or create a local library since the alias is already there.

Never had a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Goldguy27 posted:

what?

alias

it's also called a symbolic link, the functionality is very robust on the mac.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
I think an mac os alias is a type of symbolic link, whereas the unix-style is another type, but that may not be correct.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

TangyRaptor posted:

Can anyone tell me why this happens? As far as I can tell the tags are all exactly the same for artist, album, album artist, etc. I have a couple albums like this where everything seems identical, yet it separates them.

Select both together using the shift key, hit apple-i for get info, make sure all the information is really the same. You can't see everything in those tags, and there could be something like a trailing spacebar after a name somewhere.

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

TangyRaptor posted:

Yeah that's how I was looking at the info.

no, I meant select both albums at the same time, using the shift key, and hit apple-i to edit both simultaneously. They can't be different if you do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur
use iTunes library sharing and stream from laptop to desktop.