Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Favorite tip for iTunes:

If you're in a playlist, you can hit alt-backspace to delete a file from the library, rather than from the playlist. (Keys may vary between Mac and Win.) Even works in smart playlists. As far as I can tell, this is just magic and there are no matching menu commands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Trypsin posted:

it's option + delete on a mac.
Thanks, I'm always confused because I'm using a PC keyboard on a Mac.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

JD Brickmeister posted:

Is there a way to put an Mp4 of a tv show that you downloaded from Google Video into iTunes so you can play it on your iPod?
I generally just drag stuff onto the iTunes icon, and it puts it wherever it should.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm subscribed to a couple of iTunes Season Passes. They are supposed to auto-download, right? It seems like I get the email about new episodes in the middle of the night, then I have to manually download by clicking on the little iCloud icon next to them. If I manually do "Check For Available Downloads" (which is no better really), it is about 50/50 it will find the new episode. This is all on a Mac.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

"Download Pre-Orders When Available" also has to be turned on in the preferences. It's in the Store tab.

By default (Download Pre-Orders off), it'll check and let you know they've become available, but you have to then download them yourself.

Yeah, doesn't work right here. I toggled it on and off, and also signed in and out of the store, but it still says "No available downloads" after I force a check.

It's annoying since they release them in the middle of the night and I would like them to download while I'm asleep, but instead I have to remember to download them the next day if I want to watch them only one day behind.

Ideally I would just watch them live-streamed on the Apple TV but my DSL is not up to that. You hit Play and it says it will be ready to watch in 40 minutes, which is about half the time it would take to just download the drat thing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Other common gotcha is that it may match explicit versions of songs to the censored version.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

binarysmurf posted:

It's obviously a metadata issue, as I've used TuneUp in the past. Is there a simple fix? I have tried the View Info and editing the Artist, Album Artist, and Album fields with no joy. I've done the same with the Sorting Tab under 'Get Info'.

Other possible issues:

1) Inconsistent disc numbers. Disk 1 is separate from disk blank.
2) Trailing spaces on Artist Names or Album Name.

I have also seen the case where everything was correct as far as metadata, but iTunes would only be fixed by removing and re-adding the tracks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is iTunes Match buggy for everyone, or just me? On my Mac, it just breaks regularly, like every month or so, and says I need to sign out and back in and reenable Match.

Maybe I just need to start over or something, since this library is from ages ago.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If people like free songs, the Starbucks app is worth installing. They give out decent stuff pretty regularly, and you don't need to pay much attention and download them every week since the codes are good for a while. Unlike the iTunes free songs where you need to download them that week.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple really needs to work on their Season Pass system. I have an episode from Wed night that still isn't showing up as available. Not to mention the automatic downloads pretty much don't work at all, although the streaming works better here anyways.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rabid Koala posted:

We've had the same issue with Project Runway and a few other shows. Did you look in "More on iTunes?" Sometimes the episodes show up there.
We use it for Top Chef. That worked the previous week, but the week I was complaining about they must have screwed up more, since the ep in question was listed on "More on iTunes" but for $2.99 when I had a Season Pass. Then they took it down and didn't get around to posting it until Friday.

Pretty typical, unfortunately.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh I thought you could use it to 'fix' your horrible tags for free.
No, pretty much the opposite. You can use it to fix your horrible rips for free, as long as it matches to the server's higher bitrate copy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

hirvox posted:

iTunes Match must finally have been enabled for Finland, because I've started seeing those iCloud download icons in my track lists. The odd thing is that I haven't subscribed to Match (yet), and the tracks that are available for download are somewhat odd. I still have the original files I initially downloaded from iTunes, complete with their old ratings. But iTunes shows these new matches as separate from the old tracks.

Is there a way to reconcile these differences or do I have to manually update ratings for the iTunes Match versions and then delete the original tracks?

Maybe it's just iTunes in the Cloud and not iTunes Match.

Edit: iTunes in the Cloud being the "you can redownload stuff that you bought" service. Compared to old iTunes, where the download of the song you bought was it, and if you lost that particular file, you had to buy it again. Sounds like it isn't properly matching up the old songs to the ones on the store.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 30, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Stupid iTunes, "Bedroom Speaker" is too long of an Airplay device name to fully show?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

Based on that image -- yes. With the volume bar you'd get maybe Volume Speak and then have no room for ...
Oh yeah, I just think the popup window that holds this stuff is unnecessarily small if it cuts off stuff that isn't very long. You can't even have something like "Living Room Apple TV."

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is it just me, or has anyone else just never had any problems with iTunes?
Well now you jinxed yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

There is one specific podcast that, when it's in my library, whether subscribed or just with an episode or two downloaded, causes the iTunes interface to hang for 15-20 seconds in response to basically any action while the Podcasts tab is active. When it's in my library, it's also the only podcast whose album art won't appear. This has been happening for several months. I'm guessing some piece of metadata or something related to this podcast got corrupted in my library. Is there something specific I can delete short of redoing all my iTunes poo poo?

Maybe find the raw RSS feed and see if it's crazy? Like maybe they have 100 episodes each with long descriptions, or are embedding artwork in the feed, or some other junk.

Of course, if that's the case, not like you can fix it.