Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Maybe someone can comment on the way I just moved my iTunes library after an erase and install of os x (I want to know whether I did it the best way).

1. Copied the iTunes music from the external HD back to the empty iTunes folder.

2. Deselected the 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library' option

3. File > Add to Library (85GB of music)

4. Reselected the 'Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library' option (so anything I add in the future is saved to my iTunes Music folder).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Is it possible to rip CDs directly to a connected iPod and bypass the process of the tracks being added to the iTunes library?

Should I let CDs rip using the default encoder?

I've never used iTunes with an iPod before so any other tips (in addition to what's in the OP) would be appreciated.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Why isn't the album art being displayed for the currently playing track?

It doesn't show on my iPod either.

Also, is there any advantage to changing the Media Type of the This American Life shows from 'Music' to 'Podcast' or 'Audiobook'?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 12, 2010

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

IUG posted:

You have that album artwork for some or one of the tracks in that album, but not for that particular track. This is useful for something like Nine Inch Nail's "Ghosts" albums, where you have that album art, and then each track has it's own image.

I see. How do I get the tracks without the art to adopt the same art as the rest?

Is it possible to extract the album art picture file from any of the other tracks?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

IUG posted:

Get info on the first track in the album. Go to artwork. If it doesn't have artwork, hit the next button until you find the artwork. Then click it, copy the image, hit exit, select the whole album, get info, and paste the album artwork to every track in the album.

Thank you. I did it slightly differently by just dragging the album art onto my desktop then dragging the clipping back in the artwork section.

All beautiful now.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

I just drag and dropped a couple of new mp3s into iTunes and it took some time to 'Determine Audio Volume' when importing them to my library.

Does it always do this or is there some option I can change to prevent iTunes from doing it?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 16, 2010

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

IUG posted:

This sounds like you have volume normalizing on. Preference -> Playback -> Sound Check, turn it off.

Nope, I don't.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

If my HDD ever dies, can I use the music on my iPod to restore things? There seems little point in making another back-up on an external drive when the tunes on my iPod are [essentially] a back-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Thanks guys. I'm using OS X, but it's handy to know there is an option in iTunes to "Transfer Purhases from iPod". I'll look into that other software. It would be cool if there was a way you could trick iTunes into thinking it was all iTunes store music.

Edit: I just found these instructions on how to copy your music from your iPod to iTunes without any third part software. Is written for PC though. http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/ontherun/how-to-copy-music-from-your-ipod-to-your-itunes-library-5615

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 19, 2010