Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
Does anyone know a way to link two songs together even when a playlist is shuffled? For example, let's say I have a large playlist, but I want "With a Little Help From My Friends" to always play after "Sgt. Pepper". C'mon those songs go together!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Is there a way to clear just the last played date on a few songs here and there? I have a date-based smart playlist, and sometimes I want to force a song or two back onto the playlist that I heard recently.

edit: I found a script here. It worked like a charm:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/download.php?sc=newlastplayed

Mithra6 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 25, 2010

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I know I quoted a script from this site a couple of posts above:

http://dougscripts.com/

Looking through these, you can do some cool stuff, particularly with tagging and library management. I'm a techie, but I hate scripting. This poo poo here is really easy. I recommend that everyone check it out.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Mac only, so it's not universally helpful. There are some javascript writers, but no repository like this.

Sorry forgot to mention that.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Backup backup backup! I've never had an upgrade delete my music, but any upgrade can potentially cause problems. Plus, having done hundreds of data recoveries, I'm now acutely aware of the unpredictability of hard drives.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

iVolume

iVolume works really well. It's not perfect, but close enough that I don't care. You run this, it analyzes your music. It edits the "sound check" option, so that when you have it enabled, it normalizes the volume. If you turn off sound check, your music goes back to its unnormalized volume.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Ridonkulous posted:

Why is it that Smartlists can not update themselves on an Ipod/Iphone?
Is this technology we can reasonably expect in the future?

I have a smart playlist that plays songs from another playlist that I haven't played in 45 days that updates on my iPod Classic. For it to update you have to leave the playlist and go back into it, but I don't have to sync it.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Ridonkulous posted:

Then why does my smartplaylist that contains all files from another list with 0 play count never update to remove the tracks I have listened to until I sync?

To be more specific. List X contains 8 Audio Books. Smartplaylist Y contains the first 20 tracks from List X that have playcount 0. Every track I finish from Smartplaylist Y should delete from the list but does not until synced.
why can this not be done on my Iphone4?

I don't have an iPhone, so maybe it's an iOS thing. That would be strange though.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

The library is sort of like the master database. You can't hide items in it.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

bonzaisushi posted:

Looks like you gotta go all in as of right now. But i don't think match has officially launched at least thats the impression i have gotten so far so maybe they will drop some more knowledge on us over the next few days about how it works.

It hasn't launched yet. I think it's out of beta though. I keep hearing different launch dates. I keep hearing it's going to happen this month.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

HolySwissCheese posted:

Does anyone know how iTunes Match is designed to work with incrementing play counts? My smart playlists rely heavily on play counts and last played date so this is important.

If I listen to a song via Match on my laptop while at work, when/how will the play count and past played date on my desktop at home be updated?

No because they are playing from separate files.

zalmoxes posted:

I'm a little confused about match. The reason I bought it was so I could have it ID my songs and finally give me proper metadata for my library, but if I delete a song that is marked as "matched" and redownload it from icloud, it still doesn't have artwork or proper metadata.

From what I understand metadata is untouched. I read that there is a trick for album art where you have to download the new Match file, delete the album art, and then the file, and then download it again. Something like that. Maybe it will work for metadata as well.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

I am pretty sure "nested" playlists are not allowed on iTunes Match, but I can't find the article on Apple's site.

Yep I have smart playlist based on another playlist, and the error specifically says "Smart playlists referencing other playlists are not supported on iCloud".

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

Fairly certain that number syncs when you sync your iPod. I'd say like 99% certain.

I'm 100% certain because I have a smart playlist based on play count.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

This is really minor, but this makes the music nerd in me rage.

I know that you can join songs in iTunes if burning from a CD. However I have some music purchased in iTunes that I'd like to join. I found a free app called "Join Together" that's really easy and can join MP3s. When I do it, there's a little hiccup where the join is and it drives me batty.

As an experiment, I tried burning it to a CD and ripping them while joining the two songs I want joined, and same thing, there's a little split second gap. They sound fine in iTunes itself.

Any ideas?

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

My library is almost 16000 songs, and I have tons of playlists. I have a problem with volume leveling between various tracks.

I know iTunes uses soundcheck, and as many have commented, soundcheck is less than stellar. I downloaded iVoume, and it does a much better job, but even iVolume seems to play dumb with albums that are mixed really quietly, and albums that are mixed loudly.

For instance, I have a playlist for The Cure. "Lovecats" on "Staring at the Sea" is pretty quiet, but their more recent remasters are noticeably louder - though the remasters actually match the "average" volume overall throughout my library. The "Staring at the Sea" album is a problem.

The only workaround I can think of is when I notice these discrepancies, is to either manually alter the album in iVolume, or iTunes' volume in "Get Info" for the album. Doing this for so many songs is a pain, because as you can imagine I can't remember every discrepancy I hear.

I'd say about 70% of my library is fine, the rest not so much.

Any other ideas?

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

iTunes on Windows works about as well as Office on Mac.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Re: iTunes in Mac vs. Windows:

I'm speaking out of my rear end here, but my programmer friend said that when Apple ported iTunes, they ported the whole program, including more Apple related components, as opposed to creating a Windows version from scratch.

How I understand this, is that Apple took the entire program from the Mac, and basically used a Windows shell to make it work. That is why it is so sluggish in Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

I noticed a little bug after updating. I added a couple of CDs to the library. Both imported normally, but neither showed up in the library. However the weird part is that they appeared in "Recently Added".

After some googling, I found that if you sign out of the store and back in again (which is what I did), or turn off iCloud then on again, the music will appear as normal. This worked.

Weird.