Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks, Vid. I'll be on later tonight after work to level a bit. I just hit 7 on Noob Island and I'm in the process of getting my Omni starter armor and leaving the island. Do I still need to stay in the Subways until 20 or can I go do other things?

My biggest problem with this game is that I just get lost and don't know what to do. I do my Subways runs, then move on to TOTW, and I just kind of....stop. I hit 30 on an old Adventurer and I just wasn't sure where to go next. I hope that with the SL content, that doesn't happen.

Looking forward to playing with some Goons again. I'll definitely need some help, though. I forgot a lot about this game.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Okay, I'll download this again if you guys want to play. I forget what server I'm on though.

I'm on server 1. Add Slumpy101

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 16, 2008

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Do you ever get a chance to reset your skill points? The fixer guide says to never put any points in psychic/nano, but I didn't have enough max nano to activate my entry-level HoT and dumped some points into it.

edit for clarification: Was about 40 max nano short at lvl 7.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 16, 2008

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tristram.mp3 posted:

My biggest problem with this game is that I just get lost and don't know what to do. I do my Subways runs, then move on to TOTW, and I just kind of....stop.

That was my problem too last time I played. I finished TOTW, hit some heckler groups in nascene, then when I got to Elysium I don't know what to do.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
^^^^ If you want to just grind till you get to alien sectors/etc, just do Ely hecklers till you get to adonis, do hecklers till you can buy yer boots and start grinding Inferno missions..... Seriously, get a Yalm and start exploring around so you don't get bored.

Hello Sailor posted:

Do you ever get a chance to reset your skill points? The fixer guide says to never put any points in psychic/nano, but I didn't have enough max nano to activate my entry-level HoT and dumped some points into it.

edit for clarification: Was about 40 max nano short at lvl 7.

I'm not sure if new toons still get it, but there's always a Full IP Reset and about 3-5 single-skill IP resetters per title (at tl7-210+, i have about 2-3 dozen individual IPRs and 1 full reset available), plus IIRC you can buy some resetters with points gained from PvP. Only reason resetting is a pain in the rear end is if you twink poo poo on and then have to re-twink (Skill resets require you to take out every single item/implant you're wearing)

You have to work REALLY hard to majorly gently caress yourself with skill points unless you're doing a 150 twink (full IPR cause i hosed my soldier's nano skills aaaaagghhhhhhhhhhh).

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 16, 2008

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I started with AO just after launch, then wandered away after SL emptied Rubi-Ka. I've made several return visits and was even an ARK. In the end without the population and a focus on Rubi-Ka it can't really hold me. SL and all the metaphysical pseudo-fantasy crap really depressed me as it drained the life from what was a great science fiction game.

A new game based on the sci-fi side of AO would be a good thing, along with a bit of streamlining of some of the gamemechanics like clusters. Can't see that happening though. :(

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
Anyone on server 1 I can add to my friends list?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Don't let yourself fall into the trap of waiting for a Heckler PL team. Solo SL experience is nearly as good and much more fun than Heckler groups. Here's an excellent list of places to level at various level (you'll need good equipment to get the most out of these locals but not extreme twinkage). I didn't write this and I can't remember where I found it, but it got me to 175 on my fixer pretty drat fast:

Shadow Lands 1-200 Soloing Guide for All Classes
Nasc
Level 1-10 (Training Grounds)
Level 5-10 (Frontier Bridge-Chimeras, silvertails etc)
Level 10-18 (Old Frontier i.e. Temple area, cascading spirits great and fast exp)
Level 18-25 (Swamp in Frontier Border Malahs drop spirits, Frontier outskirts)
Level 25-30 (Nasc Swamp- Mountain Cats, wetlands- Hatchlings careful they swarm named Malahs drop Omni Tatts, Nasc Wilds-Cripplers and Prime Hiathians)
Level 30-40 (Crippler Cave non stop action careful of add ons)
Level 35-48 (The Core-Mala Anahs named drop Tatts and DKN, Spiders here can drop Clan Tatts)
Level 38-45 (Nasc Wilds south- Croakers of the Night, again be careful of BAFs I believe there are two named here also)
Level 40-60 (Dungeon in Brawl, 2 Dungeons by Growlers in Crippler tunnel-Scuzzy Weavers, Hiathians, Core Dungeon Kolannas, Spirit Hunters and spirits QL40ish spirits)
Level 50+ (Green Redeemed/Unredeemed Mobs)
Level 65 - 90 (those heckler's level 80 Two Mountain area, borders of wetlands, Steppes of Dispair)

***The dungeon by the Lord and Lady has been nerfed down.***
The Lord, Lady and Soul Dredge are all higher level in Temple area beware of them in your teens!

Ely
Level 50-65 (Coral rafters great fast exp till 64, Lucent Silvertails near porta Dropped QL44 Spirits no Tatts)
Level 60-70 (Coral Rafters, Hiathlins, spirits near Port Seven Portal area all dropped QL44 Spirits no Tatts)
Level 63-75 (Malahs and Hoathilins in temple of Chants near Redeemed Stone Whispervale, Unredeemed Village there also, lucent silvertails and Kolanna all dropped QL44-52 spirits No Tatts)
Level 70-90 (Shell Beach in NW Ely Mire Rafters, Eremites)
Level 75-110 (Spirit Hunters, Spirits, named spirits all Behind the Temple of Chants, they drop Neutral Tatts, Novictum, patterns and DKNs on occassion along with spirits)
Level 85-90 (Spirits Just a little South, They drop QL66 and 73 spirits)
Level 85-100 (NW Ely near Ergo Insidious Spirits, drop QL66-83 Spirits)
Level 93 - 105 (Spiders found in Ely near Wipserdale)
Level 95-105 (Devourers of life, Chronas Canyon, Entrance to Ergo)
Level 100+ (Bone Dragons)
Level 120-145 (Leteth Dungeon in either temple, I would say 115 would be tough but doable to a point, Visions of the unshakeable, staff of Pelias and embryos drop here. Exp kinda sucks here but the loot for tier 1 makes it worth it)
Level 125-130 (Named Minxes and Imps by Ergo they also drop DKNs)
Level 140+(You can solo a eylsium heckler with CI)

Scheol
Level 100-110 (Beits near entance, Mossy Girders in Temple Bog these drop Alban glyphs for weapon upgrades also had Insignias drop but very low rate)
Level 120-145 ( Unredeemed mobs in Temple of Roch, Eric Miller Omega Chain is here good luck getting those tattoos, Redemeed mobs in Temple of Scheol)
Level 110-140 (Spiders N of drop off rumors of them dropping QL100-150 Clan Tatts)
Level 130-? (Chimeras near Giants Hoof rumors of DKNs dropping I have not seen one in 50+ kills including Bosses)
Level 165-185 (Both temple Dungeons, which drop embryos at a high rate for T1 armor)
Level 170+ (You can solo a scheol heckler)

Ok, I'll add something here to the Scheol section... but first off, you must have this; Spheremap. Without it, you are as good as lost in SL. Static Dungeons are drawn in as blue dots on the spheremap.

I'm elaborating on Scheol becuase.... well... while everyone was out killing Elys Hecks with all the "cool kids" (jokes, jokes), I was out and about in Scheol... maybe a little more than is healthy, but I realy love the landscape, and it is an interesting place.... only problem is you gotta sometimes contend for spawns with toons farming for pb's to get their alts into symbs, including me at the moment. But unlike some random, I'll probably help you out.... maybe....

lvl100-120/130ish: "Enter the Mountain"
N/NW of the portal entrance into Scheol is an Incarntor (lvl 140). This boasts a dungeon nearby with "neutral" mobs. No Redeemed or Unredeemed here. It's a great place to farm for you Insignia of Ocra (clan insigs), for the Jobe Suit advanced pieces (chest, pads, helmet and support unit). Both insigs drop here, but at a lower rate than from sided mobs. The bonus is you can get your clan insignia without having to attack Unredeemed mobs, and ruin your faction. Another bonus is the occasional Pearl drop (great vendor food), and also, you will find Spirit Baubles, for Crepuscule Armour. Infantry can get about 1mil each, as they make nice melee weapon buff items for those that cannot afford AI armour (and realy, who can at this level without a higher alt?). I personaly used the gloves of infantry expertise for a nice 2he buff on Darkblayd.

Chimeras
I have personaly seen, but not often, soldier armour drop from these dynas (take the Marble Orchid stat from Garden). Roughly ql100-120ish iirc.... and it's nodrop, so you may want some help to get it at a level when it wil be useful to you (which realy is just keeping to the form of most SL gear). Pernicious Armour.

Croakers
Ok, N/NE of The Temple Bog, are Croaker dynas. These drop some interesting armour along with pb patterns. The armour is Smuggler's Armour. Only useable by Traders and Enfos, it's nothign spectacular, but it gives a bonus to Comp Lit, which will help that trox enfo get some decent NCU chips in . It is NOT nodrop, you can horde it for alts or friends, but each piece is Unique. Drops in ql's of 90-120 in this area.

Eremites
Yet another spawn area with occasional contention from higher toons for pb's, you will find the eremites along the S/W brink area, just north of the Redeemed Temple, stretching up and away. Be very careful here, as they are close to Hecklers and Voracious Horros. One wrong step could bring a rather nasty surprise down upon you. Amongst the pb patterns they drop, they also have a chance of giving you Exploiter's Armour. This is for Fixers and Crats only... much like the Smugglers, it isn't impressive for the most part, but this also gives Comp Lit with each piece. Drops in QL's of 90-120ish, and each piece is Unique.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Minor nitpick on fighting Eremites, especially Ely ones.

Those bastards Blind.

Then again, as long as you're a stationary fighter with a ranged weapon, this isn't too much of a problem. Face the right direction and fire away. You'll probably hit.

Melee may have other problems

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 18, 2008

Insensitive
Aug 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone recommend some places to farm the money for the jobe suit? I'm only level 90.

Also, what's the best way to sell the loot if I don't have a shop? I have some Miy's melee/ranged/tank whatever pieces, I searched the market terminal and they seem to yield a nice price, but I can't find a buyer.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Lamb Virtuoso posted:

Can anyone recommend some places to farm the money for the jobe suit? I'm only level 90.

Also, what's the best way to sell the loot if I don't have a shop? I have some Miy's melee/ranged/tank whatever pieces, I searched the market terminal and they seem to yield a nice price, but I can't find a buyer.

An excellent, but boring way, to farm cash is to run the Basic Clothes quest in batches. A full set of basic clothes goes for 10-12m and there's huge demand for it since it's made into alien armor. It will take some time to farm but it's extremely easy if you have a yalm and guaranteed money. As for not having shop, find a neutral corporation who will rent you a shop. It's hard to sell stuff without one.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

GoonCorp has a city and we have a shop that you can rent terminals in if you're omni! You can also use the city for alien raids and stuff like that, plus it gives you some nice bonuses to your nanoskills.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
I tried this out quite a while ago with goons and made an engineer. I think I might give it another try but I see that the engineer I created is an Opifex. Looking at the OP it seems like that was a bad choice. Should I start over with a different race? He's only like level 14 so I wasn't that far along before.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

DisposableHero posted:

I tried this out quite a while ago with goons and made an engineer. I think I might give it another try but I see that the engineer I created is an Opifex. Looking at the OP it seems like that was a bad choice. Should I start over with a different race? He's only like level 14 so I wasn't that far along before.

It's probably not a bad idea. I think Solitus is the best class for engineers these days, and nanomages aren't bad either, though you don't have nearly as much survivability early on. Later in the game there's some cool equipment that's nanomage only to narrow the gap a little though.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
In that case is there an easy way to give my new character the items I had on my old engineer? A generous goon gave me some stuff before so I'd hate to waste it.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

DisposableHero posted:

In that case is there an easy way to give my new character the items I had on my old engineer? A generous goon gave me some stuff before so I'd hate to waste it.

If it's the same server, just double log in. Log in once, get your character in game, minimize, do it again with a different character.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

DisposableHero posted:

Just grab a backpack (or two), throw all your non-nodrop items in it, and ask on roflbot if anyone can transfer some stuff for you. Then just give it to them and have them trade it to your new character.

namesarehard
Dec 7, 2008

Is not everyone in Roflbot a goon? A bunch of members are grilling me over how I found out about the channel. But its in the op.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

namesarehard posted:

Is not everyone in Roflbot a goon? A bunch of members are grilling me over how I found out about the channel. But its in the op.

Yeah, sorry about that. If anyone else shows up just say that Vidmaster posted about the org in here and they shouldn't give you any crap.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ten_twentyfour posted:

I played this game from about launch up until about last year. It soaked up so much of my life, but I wouldn't change a thing. It is without a doubt the most fun I've ever had with a video game. To be honest though, it has definitely lost a lot of its appeal.

It was fun in the beginning because there was so much mystery to the whole game. People would level ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE on Rubi-ka, the community was great, and the gameplay was fun. NW made the game amazingly fun. I remember every friday night going in-game to a huge party at Reet Retreat where everyone would dance in-game while listening to a live DJ steaming.

I think a lot of MMO's are like that at launch, but whether they have something like Shadowlands or not, people find the places with the best XP/loot and the dynamic shifts from a trial-and-error sandbox type play to grinding. I've had the most fun playing games at launch, but once things start getting systemized they start to lose their appeal to me.

AO was fun though, I heard a lot about it from a friend who had beta'd, so I got it when it was launched (playing over dial-up, on a low end computer). I used to have to turn the graphics all the way down, look at my feet, and navigate by the minimap to get through Omni-1. I liked the social/non-killing stuff aspects of it, and like the guy I'm quoting said, there's lots of cool little touches all throughout Rubi-Ka. I eventually quit because the combined technical issues of both the game and my lovely computer were too much. I'd love to play again, but don't really have the time anymore. I miss high school :smith:

I dunno if Agents should be considered a "hard" class. I played mine pretty seat-of-the-pants up to 50 or so and had no problems, although admittedly I was given a pretty dastardly rifle by some high level dude in my guild. (I one-shotted a few people in PvP.) I really liked the idea of the class, and it was a lot of fun to play.

Troph
Aug 30, 2004
In as Troph2 (lv78 MA) on server 1

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I dunno if Agents should be considered a "hard" class. I played mine pretty seat-of-the-pants up to 50 or so and had no problems, although admittedly I was given a pretty dastardly rifle by some high level dude in my guild. (I one-shotted a few people in PvP.) I really liked the idea of the class, and it was a lot of fun to play.

They've been made much much harder-as with the rest of the classes, every attack is percentage-based for PvP (highest is i think 25% of total enemy HP?) and dmg-capped for PvM. With agents really having 2 attacks (Made and AS) they're pretty low on the dmg scale-but the snares and false profs make up for it. It's not VERY hard, but it's definitely a class that requires a good knowledge of the game.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
I love Penumbra.

Click here for the full 1276x762 image.

Click here for the full 1276x723 image.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Captain Schlork posted:

I love Penumbra.

Your eyes are melting for xxx points of cold damage.

Always forget the fukken glasses. :v:
But yea, I loved pen too.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
in as lesbica. server 1

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Tyshalob posted:

Just a reminder that this game requires certain levels in MAP READING to use maps. That you have to buy. And plug in your head. Also, you might as well run around naked for all the good 80% of the gear does. I mean, who thought making damage specific armor class attributes for armor and then saying 1k specific AC = 1 pt damage reduction was a great idea? Also, the core game is still buggy as all hell after seven years.

This game is just horrible all around.

I wish to retract a bit of what I said for the sake of fairness to the game, and because of recent events that have altered my opinion slightly. When I last played AO (earlier this yearish) I had a computer that for whatever reason rendered this game like absolute rear end despite having hardware far better than the recommended. That computer died about a week ago, and I'm now playing on a computer with less awesome hardware. This computer can render AO just fine with solid framerates even in Rome Blue with hundreds or thousands of people running around.

Newbie Island still has some odd bugs. Last night the Junkbot Leader decided to walk off the edge of the pier and started sailing off into the sunset after I took a shot at him. Some other players came to do the same mission and we all just sat and watched the robot as he finally came to a stop about a mile out. I petitioned it, but around an hour later there was no response.

The general uselessness of gear also still stands as one of my complaints about the game. Also the unnecessarily complicated skill/attribute advancement system. It's nice that it allows you to only advance things you want, but it could have probably been simplified and should have included a way to ungimp an otherwise gimped character.

I have to admit that re-rolling a character last night and starting over was kind of fun. It isn't a great game by any measure, but as a free MMO it's probably one of the better ones available. I'll probably be applying for the Gooncorp as Bolahsyt sometime.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
My only real complaint is the huge ammount of unnecessary skills and even armor slots (Sleeves? Might as well make a shoelace slot).

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Slumpy posted:

My only real complaint is the huge ammount of unnecessary skills and even armor slots (Sleeves? Might as well make a shoelace slot).

Sleeves? Look up Combined armor or De'Valos or OFab or the soldier sleeves (forget what they're called.

This game relies heavily on having the right skills, and having that many slots helps you get the right buffing items.

Tysh-there's definitely a way to un-gimp toons. I've reset my Agent's skills 3 times, and perks way too many times to count. My MA has had at least 4 re-dos, my soldier, 2.

It's easy enough unless you have seriously twinked implants in that you don't want to take out.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Naturally Selected posted:

Sleeves? Look up Combined armor or De'Valos or OFab or the soldier sleeves (forget what they're called.

This game relies heavily on having the right skills, and having that many slots helps you get the right buffing items.

Alright, doesn't mean I don't think it's kind of odd to have a sleeves slot. Couldn't you just redistribute those abilities over the other pieces? Just saying.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Naturally Selected posted:

Tysh-there's definitely a way to un-gimp toons. I've reset my Agent's skills 3 times, and perks way too many times to count. My MA has had at least 4 re-dos, my soldier, 2.

It's easy enough unless you have seriously twinked implants in that you don't want to take out.

Doesn't resetting IP also require the Shadowlands expansion? I seem to recall that it also costs 250,000,000 spacebux.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 16, 2018

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Tyshalob posted:

Doesn't resetting IP also require the Shadowlands expansion? I seem to recall that it also costs 250,000,000 spacebux.

Expanding on what Captain Schlork said, you get a limited number of free reset points (each of which can be used to reset one skill), one full reset, and then if you need more you can buy them in the shadowlands for 250 million credits each, or you can buy them from the lost eden vendors for 50,000 victory points. I think you get something like 40 of them free though, which is more than enough unless you seriously seriously screwed things up by trying to max every single skill every level or something.

It's still a pain, and I wish they'd implement a better system though. I did hear they're doing something to improve perk resetting though, so maybe we'll get a full perk reset every 24 hours or something in addition to the ones we get every 2 hours now.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Vidmaster posted:

Expanding on what Captain Schlork said, you get a limited number of free reset points (each of which can be used to reset one skill), one full reset, and then if you need more you can buy them in the shadowlands for 250 million credits each, or you can buy them from the lost eden vendors for 50,000 victory points. I think you get something like 40 of them free though, which is more than enough unless you seriously seriously screwed things up by trying to max every single skill every level or something.

It's still a pain, and I wish they'd implement a better system though. I did hear they're doing something to improve perk resetting though, so maybe we'll get a full perk reset every 24 hours or something in addition to the ones we get every 2 hours now.

Last time I was active, I did a complete IPR and perk reset, which took a week. I can say pretty safely that's what drove me back away from the game, spending all that drat time just to get my 300 Hawk mk5 on, the putting everything back where it belonged. Didn't even resub after that, but it's probably because being a Fixer in full perk reset really makes you drat near worthless.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

I've got about half a dozen or more of these instruction disc things. Are they worth hanging on to, or should I just vendor them?

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

There are only a handful of instruction disks worth anything: Nullity Sphere I, Nullity Sphere 2 (which is a regular drop off only one, high level, mob), and the 4 Grid Armor nanos, all of which are extremely rare. Odds are you don't have them, so just vendor it all. Pretty much nothing that drops off regular mobs is worth money to anyone except a vendor.

Ra
Mar 14, 2006
That spoon is mine.
Woo! Just got shadowlands since ive heard good things. I look forward to hanging with my fellow goons. Level 3 (lol) engineer in the training grounds. name is "Nerrevar."

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Is there an easy way to move items/money between characters on the same account, or is the only way to do it with a mule account?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Tyshalob posted:

Is there an easy way to move items/money between characters on the same account, or is the only way to do it with a mule account?

Yea, you need a mule account for it. A bit annoying but at least the client is pretty light so even crappier computers should be able to handle two clients while you do your stuff.

Ra
Mar 14, 2006
That spoon is mine.
Oh dear god, the learning curve! I made some stims, but for some reason cant use them, even though i have all the skill prerequisites. I just tried to go into nascence to level, but everything gangs up on me. Oh god this game is overwhelming.

Also I cant seem to access the roflbot chat channel. Ive tried /ch and /join, but those dont work =(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speeddub
Jan 3, 2008

Pooling enthusiast. See you at the YMCA!
Maybe this is the wrong thread but there's something weird going on here and maybe you guys can help me.

I've never played Anarchy Online. Ever. Never even had any interest in paying it.

Today I got an overdraft statement from my bank, I haven't touched the account in 2-3 months so I was wondering what was going on. I saw a $15 charge from Funcom, as well as a $15 charge for every month for the past 6+ months. I figured they hosed something up with the Age of Conan account I canceled two days after buying the game and checked their site. Apparently the only subscription I have active is to Anarchy Online, which I have never loving played once and find it unacceptable that they have charged me all of this money for no reason (I know, it's my fault for not paying closer attention to my checking account).

Did they provide a free anarchy online account with Age of Conan or something? I'm looking for some way I can dispute this, because with the overdraft fee they just charged, I'm down about $200 total from a subscription for a game I never knew I had or played at all.

edit: their site also said I had no payment option set, but it was pulling straight from my checking account.

Speeddub fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 28, 2008

• Locked thread