Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

jeeves posted:

Question about monthly plans:

Do iPhone users really pay like 100 bux a month to use it? It seems their cheapest plan ATT has is 45$ base, then a required 30$ for 'data', and like +15$ for a good amount of text messages. Then all of the bullshit taxes on top of that would easily make it 100+?
Yes, they really pay that much. This is why there's a collective Cellphone Shack mega-eyeroll when jackasses who can't do math march in here and ask how "(device x) can possibly hope to compete with the iPhone when the iPhone only costs $199?!?!"

I think you're a little off on the prices. iPhone plan is $40 (voice) + $30 ("iPhone data") + $20 (unlimited SMS) = $90/month + whatever AT&T's taxes are.

Legacy SERO customers pay about $34/month after taxes for the same plan, current Sprint EPRP customers pay about $68/month after taxes, and customers with unlocked UMTS smartphones on AT&T pay $70/month + tax (whatever that comes out to) for an essentially-equivalent plan.

Sprint EPRP and AT&T's plan for unlocked-phone customers are the only acceptable wireless plans in the United States right now. You can pay T-Mobile $5 more if you're seriously craving Android and have decent T-Mobile UMTS coverage, but that's a pretty dubious choice.

kbar fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

Sprint EPRP and AT&T's plan for unlocked-phone customers are the only acceptable wireless plans in the United States right now. You can pay T-Mobile $5 more if you're seriously craving Android and have decent T-Mobile UMTS coverage, but that's a pretty dubious choice.

This. This right here is the "big collective eyeroll" or whatever the gently caress of TCS.

You can acknowledge that other plans cost different amounts, but to imply that "The only good choices are the ones I, kalibar, endorse" is total horseshit.

Long and short: Just take what people say at writ of "Features they want or need" and give them suggestions. Some people are gonna be very happy with a BlackBerry or G1 or fruitphone, even paying $20 a month more than you do. I know it hurts your thrifty soul to do this, but I would imagine many who need a recommendation would want every fitting option.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Right now I pay like 60$ a month (40+20 in rear end gently caress taxes they dont tell you) for the most basic ATT coverage ever on my L7/Slvr. I've only once or twice bumped up against my text limit of like 200 or 500 or whatever a month, so I spent 10 more to up it to 1500 texts.

But even 60$ a month is a lot for my needs. I like the idea of the iphone, but I have no idea if I'd want to pay even more for what I have. No wonder the iphone is selling so well though, if apple pockets money on the units controlling the selling and buying of apps since most people are too lazy/dont know how to unlock it, and att gets to charge whatever they want a month for it.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Steinbeck posted:

You can acknowledge that other plans cost different amounts, but to imply that "The only good choices are the ones I, kalibar, endorse" is total horseshit.
Just telling it like it is. An open-ended monthly premium for the privilege of carrying a couple of really specific devices on exactly the same service that people carrying "lesser" (oftentimes equivalent or superior) devices use is a raw deal, and there's no two ways about that.

Plenty of people are happy to pay the iPhone and BlackBerry premiums. I think it's a really crappy thing to recommend to people who don't have any predisposition to those phones, especially in a market of ample choice. At the very least, it's worth recognizing that iPhone customers will be paying $2,160 + taxes for their phone service, vs. $1,680 + taxes for bring-your-own-phone or $1,440 + taxes for Sprint and a Windows Mobile superbrick.

The iPhone and G1 are cool. But, you're paying a lofty premium for the iPhone data charge, and you're sacrificing 3G device-swapping freedom (and paying a $5/month premium) for the G1.

More "Googlephones" are on the way to popularly-priced monthly plans, and while it's true that there isn't an identical iPhone experience on the way, you can do a lot of cool poo poo with an iPod touch and a WiFi-tethering 3G phone.

I can justify a lot of expenditures, but ongoing premiums "because this manufacturer says so" really piss me off, and they should piss you off too. If a device is really worth that much more, they should be able to ask that price for it upfront and with a straight face.

kbar fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 27, 2009

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

... vs. $1,680 + taxes for bring-your-own-phone

Are you adding in the average cost of an unlocked device in the math on this?

And I completely agree with you that the imposed carrier device-specific plans suck-rear end a lot of the time--But i'm also okay with putting all that out itt and letting people just pick what they want.

Also, have we had a link yet for people to check on corporate/educational/gov't discounts on their carrier of choice? That would be a useful thing to put in the OP.

http://consumerist.com/5125567/get-an-employer-discount-with-any-cellphone-company

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Steinbeck posted:

Are you adding in the average cost of an unlocked device in the math on this?
You still receive a subsidized phone when signing a contract, you can still sell your subsidized phone to recover your cash subsidy, you can still apply this subsidy to your unlocked phone purchase, we have gone over this exactly one million times.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

jeeves posted:

Right now I pay like 60$ a month (40+20 in rear end gently caress taxes they dont tell you) for the most basic ATT coverage ever on my L7/Slvr. I've only once or twice bumped up against my text limit of like 200 or 500 or whatever a month, so I spent 10 more to up it to 1500 texts.

But even 60$ a month is a lot for my needs. I like the idea of the iphone, but I have no idea if I'd want to pay even more for what I have. No wonder the iphone is selling so well though, if apple pockets money on the units controlling the selling and buying of apps since most people are too lazy/dont know how to unlock it, and att gets to charge whatever they want a month for it.

In all your posts, you've hit the nail on the head as for what the iphone will run monthly. This is typically what the user is paying, depending on their txt/voice plan of choice.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

Also, have we had a link yet for people to check on corporate/educational/gov't discounts on their carrier of choice? That would be a useful thing to put in the OP.

http://consumerist.com/5125567/get-an-employer-discount-with-any-cellphone-company

I put it in the FAQ.

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.
Country/Provider: USA / T-Mo, but willing to change.

Current contract status: Out of my 2 year requirement.

Budget (phone/plan): I am flexible.

Features I know I want: Data capable, at least decent camera. Touch, and real keyboard.

Mock me all you want, but I love a sexy looking phone. Short of a blowjob feature on a phone, someone being wowed by my phone is the best feature to me. I was looking at the xperia because it was just that, and full of cool features. Then I realize I was looking at a very expensive phone, and not really checking out the competition as much as I could. So far Sony Ericson phones have always been the ones who treated me best. I currently have the s500i, and it's wonderful, but I am ready for a phone with better data capabilities. I have been reading the other threads on HTC phones, and they look good, but I figured I should make sure with you guys that I shouldn't be narrowing it down to one or 2 phones specifically.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Mr. Wynand posted:

• Country/Provider: Canada :canada:

• Current contract status: no contract

• Budget (phone/plan): up to $500 i guess but i can't imagine it needing to exeed $200 or so. Plan should be on the cheap side because i'll be pre-paying it - $100/mo is too much.

• Features I know I want: SIMPLE, good camera, SIMPLE, looks purty

This is not for me, this is for my mother. She is about as techsavvy as your average mom, which is to say not very. Fancy phone features like wifi browsing, crazy sync options etc would be completely wasted on her. She already has an ipod, so it doesn't really need to play songs, but i'm sure she'd like to waste some money on ringtones (maybe). Data-plans are RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE in Canada so iPhone isn't really a great option either (also her ipod is brand new :p).

She is however quite a bit more fashion conscious then most moms (no offense to your mom and her mom-jeans), so it's important that it look hip and cool and happenin' (but not like, for teenagers). Imagine Lisa Kudrow.... my mother is like that but a bit older and not blonde. Yeeeep...

For all it's worth this is in BC but i think the same phones are usually available across-country from one carrier or another.

Noone can recommend a nice designer-ish phone with a simple UI? :(

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Fastbreak posted:

Country/Provider: USA / T-Mo, but willing to change.

Current contract status: Out of my 2 year requirement.

Budget (phone/plan): I am flexible.

Features I know I want: Data capable, at least decent camera. Touch, and real keyboard.

Mock me all you want, but I love a sexy looking phone. Short of a blowjob feature on a phone, someone being wowed by my phone is the best feature to me. I was looking at the xperia because it was just that, and full of cool features. Then I realize I was looking at a very expensive phone, and not really checking out the competition as much as I could. So far Sony Ericson phones have always been the ones who treated me best. I currently have the s500i, and it's wonderful, but I am ready for a phone with better data capabilities. I have been reading the other threads on HTC phones, and they look good, but I figured I should make sure with you guys that I shouldn't be narrowing it down to one or 2 phones specifically.

Windows Mobile has a shitload of software, is incredibly customizable but showing its age right now. I use it, and I have learned to deal with it's bullshit in favor of the open platform, not open source, it just works like a computer where I can do whatever the gently caress I want with no "jailbreaking" required. If you want a WinMo phone, check out the Sprint SERO thread and the Touch Pro or Diamond. Fast data and unlimited text for $60/month, dollar for dollar that plan kicks rear end.

Another avenue, especially if you want a camera that doesn't suck, is an unlocked Nokia on AT&T's 3G network. You sign a new contract, get a cheap phone, sell that phone and buy a nice Nokia. Some of the best looking phones you can find. You might check out the S60 thread, they will know where to buy and what to get based on your price range.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Noone can recommend a nice designer-ish phone with a simple UI? :(

Have you looked at SE phones? They are definitely good looking, you might want to check one out to see if they're simple enough for your mom, though.

900ftjesus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 28, 2009

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.

900ftjesus posted:

Stuff on winmo phones and places to look.

This is great, thanks. Now just to pose a personal preference thing to you guys, whats do you think is the best bang for the buck? The Xperia is mucho mucho sexy, but the fuse is much cheaper, not as good of a feature list or power, but still looks good. The HTC touches are also awesome, but not as cheap as I would hope they would be.

Drewcifer
Jan 21, 2006

I like to play drums and kill things.
I currently have a Motorola w385 that I got with Boost Unlimited. As of right now, I can't afford the $60ish a month it will cost to keep service on it.

Would there be any way I can keep this phone and get it set up on a pay as you go plan, or would I be better off just buying another phone already set up for this?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I am looking for a new phone and I need some help. I just got out of Navy boot camp and have arrived at my next training station and am trying to decide which phone to get and carrier to go with. I will be stationed near Virginia Beach for the next year or so but afterwards may wind up anywhere in the world. I would like a smartphone that I can browse the internet from and possibly play music from as well. The phone that is catching my eye right now is the iPhone but I don't know much about service plans or what other options for phones I have that compares to that. I am willing to spend 200-300$ on a phone and I will probably need somewhere on the order of 1000 minutes a month. Thanks in advance for any help.

Radon
Oct 3, 2004
.':'.
[*]Country/Provider: USA/Not sure yet

[*]Current contract status: Contract up, paying $50 for sprint with ~400 minutes + ~250 text.

[*]Budget (phone/plan): Cheaper the better $50 or less a month. Assuming I need an expensive phone for the features below, maybe $150 AR, but I don't really care too much on the phone as long as it's equivalent to an old school razor, and can accomplish the following:

[*]Features I know I want: ~300+ anytime, ~100+ text, internet - specifically google maps/map quest, and email.

Hope this is possible nowadays for around $50. Assuming it's not, drop the internet/google maps, email, and what's the cheapest text/talk?

Thanks guys... been meaning to figure this stuff out the last few months as sprint been offering me like 10 bucks less a month for my same plan if I sign a new contract.

A little bit unrelated, but if I call sprint and say I'm switching if you can beat a certain price, will the budge? If for example there's a cheap cricket plan of text/talk for $35/40, could I get them to give me a contract with the same features i've already got, and same phone for under that price?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Radon posted:

[*]Country/Provider: USA/Not sure yet

[*]Current contract status: Contract up, paying $50 for sprint with ~400 minutes + ~250 text.

[*]Budget (phone/plan): Cheaper the better $50 or less a month. Assuming I need an expensive phone for the features below, maybe $150 AR, but I don't really care too much on the phone as long as it's equivalent to an old school razor, and can accomplish the following:

[*]Features I know I want: ~300+ anytime, ~100+ text, internet - specifically google maps/map quest, and email.

Hope this is possible nowadays for around $50. Assuming it's not, drop the internet/google maps, email, and what's the cheapest text/talk?

Thanks guys... been meaning to figure this stuff out the last few months as sprint been offering me like 10 bucks less a month for my same plan if I sign a new contract.

A little bit unrelated, but if I call sprint and say I'm switching if you can beat a certain price, will the budge? If for example there's a cheap cricket plan of text/talk for $35/40, could I get them to give me a contract with the same features i've already got, and same phone for under that price?

You can definitely try to get a good deal with Sprint if your contract is up. Just ask for what you want at the price you want. The best department to talk to is retentions, and you get them by calling *2 and saying "cancel" at the prompt. Their job is to keep you on Sprint.

The Palm Centro will do everything you want and the phone is $50 on a contract but you won't be able to type if you've got ham hands. It's easily the best bang for the buck at $50 as it's a full smartphone but the keys can be a bit small for some people. Go try one in a store first to make sure.

If not look at the Samsung Rant, it will run Google Maps, Opera Mini, and has QWERTY but is not a smartphone and will only run Java apps.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Axetrain posted:

I am looking for a new phone and I need some help. I just got out of Navy boot camp and have arrived at my next training station and am trying to decide which phone to get and carrier to go with. I will be stationed near Virginia Beach for the next year or so but afterwards may wind up anywhere in the world. I would like a smartphone that I can browse the internet from and possibly play music from as well. The phone that is catching my eye right now is the iPhone but I don't know much about service plans or what other options for phones I have that compares to that. I am willing to spend 200-300$ on a phone and I will probably need somewhere on the order of 1000 minutes a month. Thanks in advance for any help.

Go with AT&T or T-Mobile. They use GSM which is a worldwide standard. The iPhone doesn't play nice unlocked. If you have your phone unlocked, then you can use it with any GSM SIM card. For web browsing, you can get the $15 MediaNET plan and configure it to work with your phone. My recommended phone would be a AT&T Tilt unlocked. They run from $200-$300 and with SkyFire, you have the ability to view websites like you would with your desktop browser. Music playback isn't high because it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack though. Here's an example of the phone I'm talking about.

Go to xda-developers for tips on the Tilt. They can really help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HTC-ATT-Tilt-Sm...parms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Axetrain posted:

Just gonna throw it out there the the Tilt is just some last-gen slow processor headache of a handset.

Dunno what issues have you on the fence over the iPhone (it works fine in a ton of global GSM markets and Jailbreaking for cheap overseas use with prepaid sims is a no-brainer)

As for other handsets you may consider, try to follow the advice of others as far as signing up for the contract and then selling the subsidized phone for money towards a good unlocked phone.

And bear in mind that going with certain BB handsets or the iphone will offset monthly at&t data plans by about $15/mo.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Dear Cell-Phone Shack,

What is the cheapest and best used or cellphone I can get that is compatible with T-Mobile? My first instinct was to get the cheapest phone, which looks like motorola f3 unlocked for about $30. Then I noticed people were selling first generation smartphones for about $50. I am currently out of contract
but for what are amusing and embarrassing reasons I'm stuck on tmobile for a few more months. I won't sign another contract. So all in all I want a smartphone for about $80 or less. I'm willing to hack it up do whatever, is this doable or a pipe dream?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Steinbeck posted:

Just gonna throw it out there the the Tilt is just some last-gen slow processor headache of a handset.

Dunno what issues have you on the fence over the iPhone (it works fine in a ton of global GSM markets and Jailbreaking for cheap overseas use with prepaid sims is a no-brainer)

As for other handsets you may consider, try to follow the advice of others as far as signing up for the contract and then selling the subsidized phone for money towards a good unlocked phone.

And bear in mind that going with certain BB handsets or the iphone will offset monthly at&t data plans by about $15/mo.

AT&T data plans are $30 a month if you buy any smartphone from them.

The 1G iPhone is the only iPhone I would use for unlocking. Unlocks are easier to get for the 1G iPhone than the iPhone 3G. 1G iPhones can run from $200 to $350 depending on condition.

I know the Tilt is a bad phone but it is workable with a custom ROM from xda-developers.

Another phone I recommend is the Nokia E71. Buy a BlackBerry Bold and sell it. Then with the profits, buy the E71. It doesn't run Windows Mobile which is terrible. It can work with the $15 MediaNET data plan and you can use it overseas. It doesn't require a special plan like a BlackBerry would.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Belasarius posted:

Dear Cell-Phone Shack,

What is the cheapest and best used or cellphone I can get that is compatible with T-Mobile? My first instinct was to get the cheapest phone, which looks like motorola f3 unlocked for about $30. Then I noticed people were selling first generation smartphones for about $50. I am currently out of contract
but for what are amusing and embarrassing reasons I'm stuck on tmobile for a few more months. I won't sign another contract. So all in all I want a smartphone for about $80 or less. I'm willing to hack it up do whatever, is this doable or a pipe dream?

My backup phone (8700) was acquired for $30. If you want data on it, add the $24.99 BlackBerry Internet/E-mail plan. But make sure you get the 8700g version because only that one works on T-Mobile (there are unlocked 8700c models out there but they cost more.)

Cortel
Sep 9, 2008
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Current contract status: 2-year contract expired last month

Budget (phone/plan): <100$/month, I have a the LG enV (VX9900) and pay something like 15$ a month for being on a family plan.

Features I know I want: a usable internet browser (I haven't seen any except for this godawful one that my phone has), a decent camera, GPS, unlimited data would be nice...uh, what features do phones have nowadays? I've only ever had this phone and don't know much about newer ones :\

Right now it's between the LG Dare and the Samsung LG Voyager, which look pretty similar except for the physical keyboard on the Voyager. What are the other differences?

Cortel fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 7, 2009

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

My backup phone (8700) was acquired for $30. If you want data on it, add the $24.99 BlackBerry Internet/E-mail plan. But make sure you get the 8700g version because only that one works on T-Mobile (there are unlocked 8700c models out there but they cost more.)

Thanks, is there possibly anything I could get with 802.11?

Chris Interactive
Oct 15, 2008
# Country/Provider: U.S. / Verizon

# Current contract status: Resigning 2 yr. contract. 500 mins a month, in-texting.

# Budget (phone/plan): my phone budget is about $150

# Features I know I want: I definitely would like a QWERTY keyboard. Needs camera phone and music playback. Needs a basic organizer (dates and notifications, ect.) I would also like a touch screen (and possibly be able to program my own apps for it, though this is just a plus and will not cause me to not buy a phone.)

I've been looking at the LG Dare, Samsung Sway, and the LG Voyager. Any advice on these phones or other suggestions would be greatly appreciative.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Country / Provider : US / MetroPCS

Current Contract: N/A

Budget: ~200 dollars (maybe more)

Features: Full QWERTY keyboard, CDMA network (for MetroPCS). Not one of the ones that slide open and turn horizontal.

I have a iPhone that I'm getting rid of that won't work with PCS and I can't go back to T9 after using it for so long.

deathfalls
Oct 28, 2003
death cult armageddon
# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: Out of contract.

# Budget (phone/plan): ~$400

# Features I know I want: 3G/Smartphone

After reading some posts here, I was heavily leaning towards the Nokia E71. I started looking at the N95 8G, which is now tempting me as well. I've not used a QWERTY phone before, and generally don't text a lot, so I was thinking the N95 8G may be more suited to my use. Is one of these particularly better than the other or would I be safe going with either of them? Of course if there is a better option available in my budget, please let me know.

When I first started looking for a new phone, I was aiming at the HTC Touch Pro/Fuze, but dropped that idea since I saw a lot of complaints on Windows Mobile.

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys
# Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

# Current contract status: hitched on for another two years, but willing to pay full price for phone.

# Budget (phone/plan): ~$200

# Features I know I want: Flip style phone, Bluetooth, The ability to use my own ringtones, camera, being able to withstand throwing it or having something else in my pocket.

I went through 2 Nokia 6133s in under a year, first one I stepped on(not paying attention), second one I cracked both of the screens by having a screwdriver in my pocket. I've since defaulted back to my indestructable little Samsung E335 that has basically been beat to hell but still works perfectly and looks ok to boot.

I was looking at the Samsung flips that T-mobile offers, the'yre all ugly and have idiotic key layouts, but I was curious about the durability, and also using my own ringtones because I know T-mobile likes to mess with that.

Basically I want something I want something that's really hard to break. If t-mobile has nothing, I'm willing to look for something used.

Edit: May consider a slider

Lean Six Ligma fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 4, 2009

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

deathfalls posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: Out of contract.

# Budget (phone/plan): ~$400

# Features I know I want: 3G/Smartphone

After reading some posts here, I was heavily leaning towards the Nokia E71. I started looking at the N95 8G, which is now tempting me as well. I've not used a QWERTY phone before, and generally don't text a lot, so I was thinking the N95 8G may be more suited to my use. Is one of these particularly better than the other or would I be safe going with either of them? Of course if there is a better option available in my budget, please let me know.

When I first started looking for a new phone, I was aiming at the HTC Touch Pro/Fuze, but dropped that idea since I saw a lot of complaints on Windows Mobile.
Have you considered the N85? It should be in your budget from Dell with a coupon.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Belasarius posted:

Thanks, is there possibly anything I could get with 802.11?

Not at that price range. If you're a masochist, then get the T-Mobile Dash. WM is a big bag of hurt.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Pixelated posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

# Current contract status: hitched on for another two years, but willing to pay full price for phone.

# Budget (phone/plan): ~$200

# Features I know I want: Flip style phone, Bluetooth, The ability to use my own ringtones, camera, being able to withstand throwing it or having something else in my pocket.

I went through 2 Nokia 6133s in under a year, first one I stepped on(not paying attention), second one I cracked both of the screens by having a screwdriver in my pocket. I've since defaulted back to my indestructable little Samsung E335 that has basically been beat to hell but still works perfectly and looks ok to boot.

I was looking at the Samsung flips that T-mobile offers, the'yre all ugly and have idiotic key layouts, but I was curious about the durability, and also using my own ringtones because I know T-mobile likes to mess with that.

Basically I want something I want something that's really hard to break. If t-mobile has nothing, I'm willing to look for something used.

Edit: May consider a slider

The Nokia 5610 seems like the phone for your needs. It can use its own ringtones, and it has a good camera to boot. The camera is the third best cameraphone T-Mobile offers after the Zine and Behold. Another option is a BlackBerry Pearl Flip but you need the data plan ($24.99 for Internet and 400 texts) to take full advantage of it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hamelin posted:

Country / Provider : US / MetroPCS

Current Contract: N/A

Budget: ~200 dollars (maybe more)

Features: Full QWERTY keyboard, CDMA network (for MetroPCS). Not one of the ones that slide open and turn horizontal.

I have a iPhone that I'm getting rid of that won't work with PCS and I can't go back to T9 after using it for so long.

Being on MetroPCS is a terrible idea. There's going to be a Curve 8330 but since there are no contracts on MetroPCS, the slated price for the device is $449. But it will only be in the Miami, Orlando, Jacksonville, Dallas, Atlanta, Sacramento, and San Francisco markets because those markets are not on AWS.

Seriously, go to Sprint and get the EPRP plan if you want a good deal. Sprint doesn't suck as much and they have a decent selection of phones.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current Contract: Month to month since September

Budget: N/A (explained below)

I basically want to switch to Verizon, as T-Mobile hasn't rolled G3 coverage out here yet, and from what I hear, doesn't really plan to anytime soon, so I can't get the G1. I already have my plan for Verizon picked out, I just can't decide between the LG Voyager and the LG Dash. Both have rather decent reviews, and both have features that I would use daily. I just can't decide. Any suggestions?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I guess I'll bite.

Why Verizon? Do Sprint and AT&T not offer "G3" service in your area?

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

adamrobertt posted:

You couldn't swap your SIM card into a Virgin Mobile phone. They don't use SIM cards.

You could buy a $20 ATT wireless phone and use that, or even take the SIM out and put it in your unlocked phone.

AT&T SIMs expire after something like 3 months, so if he's only spending a month in the US per year, he'd have to get a new one each time. Not a huge deal if he doesn't care about the phone number, but I hate having to arrange for a new SIM card each time I make a trip back to the US (especially since there's not a good way to get one ahead of time).

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

* Country/Provider: US/Minnesota, leaning towards AT&T

* Current contract status: None whatsoever

* Budget (phone/plan): Maybe $150 for my phone, as cheap as possible for the plan

* Features I know I want: Camera, the ability to put my own ringtones on it would be nice (don't a lot require that you buy them from the provider? i dunno), good battery life, small form factor

Basically I've been on the family plan for years, paying $10 a month to my parents for it. They're dropping us at the end of the month, and now my girlfriend and I have to get our own plan. Between the two of us, we've used 15 text messages and about 900 minutes over the last 3 months. I can get a discount on an AT&T plan through my employer, so I'm leaning towards them, but with the plan I'm looking at (550 minute 2-line family plan, $59.99/month) it's only a $5/month discount, so if there's anything cheaper, I'd be open to it.

As for the phone, I've had a Motorola V710 for about three years and I'm sick of its stupid antenna, lovely battery life and slow, stupid UI. Girlfriend has had some Nokia brick for about 4 years. She'd be happy with drat near anything that has a battery that lasts more than half an hour and is cute. I like the looks of some of the LG Incite (wifi is cool too), but I'm really afraid of buying another phone I'll hate.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 7, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

dur posted:

* Country/Provider: US/Minnesota, leaning towards AT&T

* Current contract status: None whatsoever

* Budget (phone/plan): Maybe $150 for my phone, as cheap as possible for the plan

* Features I know I want: Camera, the ability to put my own ringtones on it would be nice (don't a lot require that you buy them from the provider? i dunno), good battery life, small form factor

Basically I've been on the family plan for years, paying $10 a month to my parents for it. They're dropping us at the end of the month, and now my girlfriend and I have to get our own plan. Between the two of us, we've used 15 text messages and about 900 minutes over the last 3 months. I can get a discount on an AT&T plan through my employer, so I'm leaning towards them, but with the plan I'm looking at (550 minute 2-line family plan, $59.99/month) it's only a $5/month discount, so if there's anything cheaper, I'd be open to it.

As for the phone, I've had a Motorola V710 for about three years and I'm sick of its stupid antenna, lovely battery life and slow, stupid UI. Girlfriend has had some Nokia brick for about 4 years. She'd be happy with drat near anything that has a battery that lasts more than half an hour and is cute. I like the looks of some of the LG Incite (wifi is cool too), but I'm really afraid of buying another phone I'll hate.

Any AT&T smartphone will require you to get a $29.99 data plan. The Incite sucks anyways because of Windows Mobile.

The Samsung Eternity is $149 AR. It has a good camera. But you'll be paying $199 at the store. If you don't want to go with the Eternity, then go with the Sony Ericsson W760. It's better than the Shine. The W760 should be fine for your girlfriend also but the Shine is an alternative also.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I almost bought an iPhone today but before I do, I want to find out what other options there are for smartphones similar to the iPhone. I would like it to have:
Decent camera
Good media & music player
Sexy & responsive UI
Lots of 3rd party applications / games etc.
Touchscreen
etc.
Basically, other phones that are similar to the iPhone (and costs the same or preferably, less). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Edit: Should probably add that I'm Australian, but I haven't chosen a provider yet.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

I almost bought an iPhone today but before I do, I want to find out what other options there are for smartphones similar to the iPhone. I would like it to have:
Decent camera
Good media & music player
Sexy & responsive UI
Lots of 3rd party applications / games etc.
Touchscreen
etc.
Basically, other phones that are similar to the iPhone (and costs the same or preferably, less). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Edit: Should probably add that I'm Australian, but I haven't chosen a provider yet.

Really, if those are your criteria, just get the iPhone and be done with it.

I can't think of anything that hits all those points and will save you any great margin on money overall.

(Been using one for a year and and a half and despite the higher price point, it's a really loving great phone.)

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

I don't think any of us here can offer you a worthwhile price-based recommendation without doing a bunch of boring research on Australian carrier pricing.

Just get an iPhone and pay what your carrier's asking for it, you sound like you want one pretty bad.

If you have carrier options that are much cheaper than your iPhone-having carrier (like the U.S. does), what phones do they offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

(1)

You charge at the head scientist. Just before reaching him you dip your head, connecting strongly with his solar plexus. He falls, gasping for breath. You ready your self to charge at the next suit, that is backing away in fear, but an orange plastic arm reaches across your face from behind. A flower of pain burst in your nose. The waxy, heavy material enters your mouth and you bite down.

You taste blood and hear a scream, and are tackled to the ground by the other suits. The leader stands shakily and pulls a pistol out of the environment suit pocket.

“I’m sorry Jonathan, you knew what the risks are.”

You ready yourself for death. You never did anything for anyone else in your lovely life, and you vow that if you live through the next few seconds you will be a better person.

The gun fires, and the bloody, torn armed suit slumps to the floor.

“What a waste. Sedate the subject. We will try again tomorrow.”

YOU ACTUALLY DECIDED TO SINGLE HANDEDLY ATTACK A GROUP OF PEOPLE, WHILE YOUR ARMS ARE FLOPPY LIKE loving FISH. ARE YOU SOFT IN THE HEAD?

CancerCakes fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 15, 2013