Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't get a Droid Ultra. It's a bigger, uglier Moto X, except that it's a Verizon Special Snowflake phone so updates will be slower and there's not really any advantage to it. Check out the Droid Maxx, however, which is essentially the same phone but with a much bigger battery and more storage space. There's also the Moto X, which is definitely worth considering. If you're getting a Samsung, you may as well just go for an S5 when those come out. There's no really good reason to get an S4 except for cost and I assume if your current phone is four years old you'll have a subsidy available.

(If, for some reason, you're buying off-contract, the Moto X is also cheaper than any other option. I don't know why you would do this on Verizon except to get in the EDGE program.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

Has anyone tried any of these Wifi based phones? I've been looking at Scratch, which is buy a phone get free wifi service and free cell texts forever, Republic Wireless, which is about $10 a month for low level cell access with wifi phones, as well as the one that was up in SA-Mart, but they all require a specific phone for that plan which is a big up front investment.

Yeah, for $10 a month you won't get much if a discount on the phone. That being said, I'm sure there is a bit of "you get what you pay for" but republic at least offers the Moto X now. Personally, for $20 more you might as well get the tmobile nerd plan (100 mins, unlimited text, 5GB) which will just have way more reliability.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Avasculous posted:

I'm finally making my first foray into the 21st century by shopping for a phone manufactured this decade (seriously) and I could use some very basic help.

The problem is that I'm so out-of-touch with smartphones, I don't even know what many of the features are let alone which ones are worth caring about. My current phone had "Text messages!!" listed as a feature on the box. Asking people I know hasn't helped because every one of them is certain that their specific phone is the unequivocal apex of human achievement. Looking at the webpages for each phone lists a bunch of stuff that sounds cool, but I don't really have any frame of reference for its usefulness.

Country/Provider: USA/Verizon
Current Contract Status: Family plan
Budget: $500
Features I know I want: durability, phone calls, internet access, cool smartphone stuff?

I know that I don't want an iPhone and on aesthetics and brand recognition I'm leaning towards either the Galaxy S4 or the Droid Ultra. Does anyone have any frank recommendations between the two? Are one of the alternatives worth a closer look?

Are you recontracting or are you going to be buying a unsubsidized phone?

If you're seriously considering an S4 and you're going to recontract/subsidise your phone purchase, I would hold out a couple of weeks and buy the Galaxy S5. It's slightly larger, but it is higher resolution and significantly more powerful with a better quality camera. Out of the box it's also waterproof up to 3 feet for 30 minutes, so accidentally dropping it in the toilet isn't an automatic bricked phone. It will have some proprietary fitness software built in and you can get things like samsung fitness watches, but YMMV on how you would actually use it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edit: quoted the wrong post and on phone argh

The Note 3 speaker is surprisingly beefy. The One's is supposed to be the best in the business but you won't be upset with the note 3's of you aren't used to boomsound. It was a huge improvement from my previous phones (s3, iPhone 4).

And the size difference is negligible despite the huge screen size difference (One has to use part of theirs for buttons).

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 2, 2014

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Any opinion on the Sony Z2? I last had a Note 2 as my first proper smart phone but that got destroyed :( I'm currently trying to decide between the Z2, HCT One M8 (although the camera is starting to put me off), maybe a Samsung S5 or iPhone 5s.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

gender illusionist posted:

Any opinion on the Sony Z2? I last had a Note 2 as my first proper smart phone but that got destroyed :( I'm currently trying to decide between the Z2, HCT One M8 (although the camera is starting to put me off), maybe a Samsung S5 or iPhone 5s.

If I wasn't a butterfingers and they didn't just sign an exclusive carrier deal in Canada it would be my phone of choice from the newest generation. But putting it in a case seems criminal and I'm not switching to Bell.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Country/Provider: Sweden/universal

Budget: $200
Features I know I want: Dual sim, 3g that works in Sweden and Finland, google playstore, decent at surfing the web. Don't want to fool around with system roms and stuff. Also a plus is good audio during phonecalls.

I was thinking about getting the xiaomi hongmi since it's pretty cheap (179$ at merimobiles) and it seems to have decent reviews.
My other choice would be the LG Optimus L5 2, but the xiaomi seems to be better in just about every way. Better CPU, better screen and more ram. The only thing LG has going for it right now is that it's more easily available, but not I'm not in a hurry so that doesn't matter that much.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

organburner posted:

Country/Provider: Sweden/universal

Budget: $200
Features I know I want: Dual sim, 3g that works in Sweden and Finland, google playstore, decent at surfing the web. Don't want to fool around with system roms and stuff. Also a plus is good audio during phonecalls.

I was thinking about getting the xiaomi hongmi since it's pretty cheap (179$ at merimobiles) and it seems to have decent reviews.
My other choice would be the LG Optimus L5 2, but the xiaomi seems to be better in just about every way. Better CPU, better screen and more ram. The only thing LG has going for it right now is that it's more easily available, but not I'm not in a hurry so that doesn't matter that much.

Is the Moto G not available there? If it is, how much is it?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

anakha posted:

Is the Moto G not available there? If it is, how much is it?

It's around 259$ in Sweden, and seems to have worse specs than the xiaomi at a quick glance (although it has bigger internal memory which is nice, but no memory card reader)

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hi everyone. Does anyone have a decent comparison of the HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5 please? There's a bunch of reviews that basically call them a wash, so I wondered what the thread thinks in terms of reliability, reputation of the manufacturers etc.

I've currently got an old HTC One that I'm looking to upgrade from. I generally like it a lot, with the exception that the syncing software that HTC provided is hot poo poo (to the point where I struggle to get ISyncr to recognise it as a phone), and the audio chip occasionally cuts out. Are the newer HTC phones any better built/more reliable?

Secondly, would either phone be resilient enough to use without a case? I don't really know how good the new gorilla glass is, or if either phone is particularly vulnerable or resistant to dropping.

I'm currently leaning towards getting the One M8, as it's 20 cheaper and comes with a 100 gift voucher to a big department store.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

organburner posted:

It's around 259$ in Sweden, and seems to have worse specs than the xiaomi at a quick glance (although it has bigger internal memory which is nice, but no memory card reader)

It's also most likely going to be better supported in terms of software updates than the Xiaomi.

Is that 259 price for the 8GB or the 16GB version of the Moto G? If the latter, I'd easily recommend it. If the former, I'd think harder about getting it. It depends though on whether you can spend above that 200 budget limit.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone know of a sim unlock code site that isn't a scam? Need to buy one for my HTC One (UK) soon.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

anakha posted:

It's also most likely going to be better supported in terms of software updates than the Xiaomi.

Is that 259 price for the 8GB or the 16GB version of the Moto G? If the latter, I'd easily recommend it. If the former, I'd think harder about getting it. It depends though on whether you can spend above that 200 budget limit.

It's the 8 gb version, unfortunately, can't even find the 16 gb version in Sweden, might have to try Germany or the UK

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Country/Provider: USA / ATT
Current contract status: Contract Ended
Budget (phone/plan): Under $300.00 for the new phone (with contact). Plan is already decided.
Features I know I want: Large screen, fast response time, strong call quality.

Currently have a 1st gen note and have been reasonably happy with it. Thinking about moving to the Note 3 but the phone is already coming around 6 months old and don't want to get something that will rapidly begin to lag behind. Also looking at a Lumia 1520 as I don't think there are any Android only apps that I absolutely must have and it seems to have great reviews.

Mostly hoping someone out there with more experience in the current generation of phones can weigh in on what the best choices available will be.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I purchased the Note 3 a few days ago and even though I haven't used it enough to comment on the overall call quality, I haven't had any problems with the service. Also, if its a big screen and fast hardware you're looking for then the Note 3 is hard to beat. I haven't had it a full week yet, but I'm already happy with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Exinos posted:

Country/Provider: USA / ATT
Current contract status: Contract Ended
Budget (phone/plan): Under $300.00 for the new phone (with contact). Plan is already decided.
Features I know I want: Large screen, fast response time, strong call quality.

Currently have a 1st gen note and have been reasonably happy with it. Thinking about moving to the Note 3 but the phone is already coming around 6 months old and don't want to get something that will rapidly begin to lag behind. Also looking at a Lumia 1520 as I don't think there are any Android only apps that I absolutely must have and it seems to have great reviews.

Mostly hoping someone out there with more experience in the current generation of phones can weigh in on what the best choices available will be.

Galaxy S5 is $100 less, still a decently big screen, and newer.

FYI if you are on the 10GB mobile share plan a 2 year contract is more money, otherwise it is pretty even between that and Next.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Country/Provider: USA / VZN
Current contract status: Contract ending in 22 days
Budget (phone/plan): $200 for phone, plan is locked in
Features I know I want: Won't be a piece of poo poo in 2 years, minimal Android mods or ability to get close to AOSP

I'm coming up on my 2-year upgrade date with a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. It's a loving POS that drives me insane daily at this point. I don't want to be in this position again in April 2016. What should I get that will be minimally not-AOSP (or at least let me use CM) and hopefully not be slow crap in 2 years? I'm pretty torn between M8, S5, switching to ATT for a Nexus 5, or even a Moto X if it will really last 2 years performance-wise. Maybe it's just information overload but I'm lost. I really use phone cameras pretty rarely so they're not a big factor, just a nice bonus. I guess I'd use them more if I had one that wasn't trash.

turtlehammer
Feb 17, 2010

turtlehammer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 26, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TheQat posted:

Country/Provider: USA / VZN
Current contract status: Contract ending in 22 days
Budget (phone/plan): $200 for phone, plan is locked in
Features I know I want: Won't be a piece of poo poo in 2 years, minimal Android mods or ability to get close to AOSP

I'm coming up on my 2-year upgrade date with a Verizon Galaxy Nexus. It's a loving POS that drives me insane daily at this point. I don't want to be in this position again in April 2016. What should I get that will be minimally not-AOSP (or at least let me use CM) and hopefully not be slow crap in 2 years? I'm pretty torn between M8, S5, switching to ATT for a Nexus 5, or even a Moto X if it will really last 2 years performance-wise. Maybe it's just information overload but I'm lost. I really use phone cameras pretty rarely so they're not a big factor, just a nice bonus. I guess I'd use them more if I had one that wasn't trash.
It's really hard to predict how future updates will affect a phone's performance. What's apparent is that the power of phones have either hit a point where they're as powerful as they need to be or are really close. If you stick with Verizon, you either have to hope a Droid Maxx/Moto X will be powerful enough for another two years (hard to say but they will probably only get another year of support at this point) or hope a Galaxy S5 is easily rooted/bootloader unlocked. Realistically, you should probably switch to AT&T and get a Nexus 5.

turtlehammer posted:

I'm phone-stupid and I need a new phone. Before I post poo poo, I'm wondering: I had a Droid Razr Maxx that was under a friend's name and the contract has ended. Is there any way I can take it to Verizon and get a plan in my name with it?

If not... here's the the other info:

Country/Provider: USA. Doesn't matter which.
Current contract status: None and I don't mind signing a contract.
Budget (phone/plan): $100~ for the phone with a contract/$80~ a month.
Features I know I want: I need a smart phone that has ridiculously good battery life, a pretty decent camera, and whatever service/plan gives me the best bang for buck in data usage. I'll be using my phone a lot for my new job. I've only had droids so I probably prefer them over iphones, but I'm not overly picky. I have no idea what new phones or good these days.
You can do this but it doesn't really make a lot of sense to do so, since you'll pay the same regardless of whether you get a phone or not. Either a Droid Maxx or Moto X is your best option on Verizon. There's a single line plan for $75 with 2 GB of data, which is going to be your cheapest option. (It also offers a $10 discount if you use Verizon Edge, so you could spend $81 total before taxes and such and get a Moto X on your plan, though this would end up spending you more than just paying the $50 subsidy on it.)

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I too am finally making my first foray into smartphones and like Avasculous I don't even know what many of the features are, let alone which ones are worth caring about.

Country/Provider: USA/T-mobile
Current Contract Status: I have long since transcended the need for contracts.
Budget: $100, maybe $150 if it's super amazing and will write my dissertation for me.
Features I know I want: water/shock-resistant, camera that's not crap, ability to run life-changing apps like Pleco Chinese.

I know that I don't want an iPhone and I'm leaning towards either the Galaxy S4 or Moto G/X. The Galaxy S4 has a lot of bells and whistles, the Moto X has the best aesthetics (I love the color choices), and the Moto G seems like a very respectable phone and is available unlocked for $180, which while over budget is unlocked which is very appealing. Does anyone have any frank recommendations between the three?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm looking to get a SIM-free Note 3, however I can see a number of different ways with different costs and I wondered what the reason for the different costs would be, and whether I should go for a particular source:

Phones4u or high street retailer - 580

GiffGaff - 495

Ebay new - 380

Since they're all purporting to be the same thing, what's the likely difference between them and what could one lose out on going for the cheapest (if it's new in a sealed box from a seller with good feedback, from whom I'd collect it in person)? I'm quite aware that this may seem like a stupid question but I've never bought anything substantial from ebay, nor have I ever bought a SIM-free phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Brennanite posted:

I too am finally making my first foray into smartphones and like Avasculous I don't even know what many of the features are, let alone which ones are worth caring about.

Country/Provider: USA/T-mobile
Current Contract Status: I have long since transcended the need for contracts.
Budget: $100, maybe $150 if it's super amazing and will write my dissertation for me.
Features I know I want: water/shock-resistant, camera that's not crap, ability to run life-changing apps like Pleco Chinese.

I know that I don't want an iPhone and I'm leaning towards either the Galaxy S4 or Moto G/X. The Galaxy S4 has a lot of bells and whistles, the Moto X has the best aesthetics (I love the color choices), and the Moto G seems like a very respectable phone and is available unlocked for $180, which while over budget is unlocked which is very appealing. Does anyone have any frank recommendations between the three?
None of those options are particularly shock or water resistant. The S4 has the best camera of the three (and the Moto G the worst). I don't think anything you could buy today will have issues running Pleco Chinese (assuming you're talking about this.)

Also, if you're staying with T-Mobile, they don't offer subsidized phones any longer and instead offer no-interest loans on the total cost of the device. They're all unlocked, as well, I believe. Which is to say that your budget is technically unrealistic since the only things within that price range are a couple low-end Windows Phones and the Moto G if you go just over it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

None of those options are particularly shock or water resistant.
The X and G are treated with a water-resistant coating, but it's not advertised because Motorola did not go through all the testing and certification.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

None of those options are particularly shock or water resistant. The S4 has the best camera of the three (and the Moto G the worst). I don't think anything you could buy today will have issues running Pleco Chinese (assuming you're talking about this.)

Also, if you're staying with T-Mobile, they don't offer subsidized phones any longer and instead offer no-interest loans on the total cost of the device. They're all unlocked, as well, I believe. Which is to say that your budget is technically unrealistic since the only things within that price range are a couple low-end Windows Phones and the Moto G if you go just over it.

I thought the S4 had an active option which was? At any rate, I'm thinking general durability--I have a two-yr-old son and our current phone gets gnawed on/thrown a lot. I don't care if I stay with T-mobile, AT&T has equally good coverage where I live. Consider my budget as more "upfront cost" if it makes you feel better. I know it's not the same, but $20/month for two years doesn't have the sting as $480 in a lump sum. Also, if you have better ideas for baby's first smartphone, I'm all ears.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The X and G are treated with a water-resistant coating, but it's not advertised because Motorola did not go through all the testing and certification.

Would that be enough if say it was dropped (and instantly fished out) of a pool or toilet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Brennanite posted:

Would that be enough if say it was dropped (and instantly fished out) of a pool or toilet?
They're pretty tough. You can listen to this annoying woman talk for entirely too long about it and watch her give one a bath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVaTKG5q4YI

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
My Samsung Galaxy S2 stopped working (won't power up on battery or USB).

Region : Atlantic Canada
Provider : Virgin Mobile
Budget : $400
Preferences : removable storage and battery, front facing camera, similar size as 4.3" screen

I've been trying to find a Galaxy S2 on the Kijiji but haven't had much luck. I was leaning towards a Galaxy S3. I haven't had time to do much research but I thought there might have been some Motorola phones worth looking into as well.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Hi I'm a big clumsy oaf and I've broken my second Nexus 4 screen in six months and I'd like a phone that doesn't become completely unusable and require a replacement if it accidentally falls off the table.

Region: New England
Provider: T-Mobile
Budget: $350
Preferences: sturdy, doesn't stop working entirely if the screen breaks, adequate battery life, ability to websurf without frustration

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bleusman posted:

Hi I'm a big clumsy oaf and I've broken my second Nexus 4 screen in six months and I'd like a phone that doesn't become completely unusable and require a replacement if it accidentally falls off the table.

Region: New England
Provider: T-Mobile
Budget: $350
Preferences: sturdy, doesn't stop working entirely if the screen breaks, adequate battery life, ability to websurf without frustration

Nexus 5 or Moto X are within your budget.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Country/Provider: us/verizon

Current contract status: contract is up on the 17th

Budget (phone/plan): 250/ already know the plan

Features I know I want: good camera, fast. I'm using the Droid Razr Maxx right now and it's been really good but it's starting to chug along and the camera is absolutely terrible.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

My HTC G2 is finally going on the fritz. :( What's the most accessible (as in custom ROM flashable, SD expansion, physical back button, etc) android phone on the market these days?

Country/Provider: Canada/Wind (or T-Mobile)
Contract status: no
Budget (phone only): ~$300

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jehde posted:

My HTC G2 is finally going on the fritz. :( What's the most accessible (as in custom ROM flashable, SD expansion, physical back button, etc) android phone on the market these days?

Country/Provider: Canada/Wind (or T-Mobile)
Contract status: no
Budget (phone only): ~$300

I don't know why you need to flash ROMs (phones work on their own now a days without needing tweaking) or need a physical back button, but you should probably just get the Nexus 5 or Moto X. No expandable memory, the only one with a SD card slot now is the Galaxy series unfortunately. And in case the question is asked there are literally no good phones with a physical keyboard, so don't hope for a keyboard phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doesn't the One (M8) (god you suck at naming, HTC) have an SD slot?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't know why you need to flash ROMs (phones work on their own now a days without needing tweaking) or need a physical back button, but you should probably just get the Nexus 5 or Moto X. No expandable memory, the only one with a SD card slot now is the Galaxy series unfortunately. And in case the question is asked there are literally no good phones with a physical keyboard, so don't hope for a keyboard phone.

Carrier/manufacturer ROMs work fine for most people, but I prefer having features that custom ROMs tend to have like root capability and hold-back-to-kill-app. And I know physical keyboards are no longer a thing, that's why I was holding out on my G2 for so long.

Endless Mike posted:

Doesn't the One (M8) (god you suck at naming, HTC) have an SD slot?

The HTC One M8 would probably do the trick, if it weren't for the fact it's not out yet here and will cost $700 outright. Are there any older AWS phones that will still be faster than the G2?

EDIT: I ended up getting a One (M7) used, I decided MTP would be fine for storage access. Liking it so far!

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 12, 2014

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

The girlfriend and I are on our respective parent's family plans through Verizon and AT&T, respectively. We want to get on our own plan, perhaps foolishly, but aren't too sure of our best options.

We're both thinking about the Nexus 5. Apparently, I use anywhere between 1 and 4 gb of data a month, while she uses about 1 gb per month. Given this, who has the most affordable plans?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Donald Kimball posted:

The girlfriend and I are on our respective parent's family plans through Verizon and AT&T, respectively. We want to get on our own plan, perhaps foolishly, but aren't too sure of our best options.

We're both thinking about the Nexus 5. Apparently, I use anywhere between 1 and 4 gb of data a month, while she uses about 1 gb per month. Given this, who has the most affordable plans?

ATT will be $130 for call text and 10GB of shared data (and maybe less if either of you get a work discount).

I don't know Tmobile as well, but with 1GB for her and 5 for you the ballpark would be $100-120 total.

Don't go with sprint. Verizon won't take the nexus 5 and their plans don't give you a discount for bringing your own phone.

I would say ATT in this case.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Got wasted and lost my 4S. I haven't informed my carrier and haven't filed a police report, but I'm not holding out much hope for its return.

So, I'm looking for something to tide me over until Apple announces the next iPhone. I mainly use my phone for Awful, Facebook, Evernote, Talkonaut (Jabber chatrooms) and iBooks.

Lumia 520 is cheap and seems OK - anyone wants to tell me why this would be a bad idea?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

huhwhat posted:

Got wasted and lost my 4S. I haven't informed my carrier and haven't filed a police report, but I'm not holding out much hope for its return.

So, I'm looking for something to tide me over until Apple announces the next iPhone. I mainly use my phone for Awful, Facebook, Evernote, Talkonaut (Jabber chatrooms) and iBooks.

Lumia 520 is cheap and seems OK - anyone wants to tell me why this would be a bad idea?

For $80ish or less it'll get you by, it's windows so it won't hve a ton of apps, and obviously it won't be as fast as your 4S or have as good of a screen or camera.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

Duckman2008 posted:

For $80ish or less it'll get you by, it's windows so it won't hve a ton of apps, and obviously it won't be as fast as your 4S or have as good of a screen or camera.

I'm willing to spend a bit more and get myself a Moto G. General goonsensus on this is that it's a good Android phone for the price?

Edit: Got the Moto G.
vvvvv

huhwhat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 19, 2014

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

huhwhat posted:

I'm willing to spend a bit more and get myself a Moto G. General goonsensus on this is that it's a good Android phone for the price?

If you want a cheap Android phone, this is the only one to get. It's a great little phone and my friends like it.

Now for my question!

Country/Provider: USA/help me choose
Current Contract Status: up in June
Budget: $75 per month for service, willing to do pre or post-paid
Features I know I want: lots of data, maybe 200ish minutes a month, unlimited text, decent domestic roaming

I'm currently on Sprint with an old Everything plan. I'm not excited about the current direction Sprint is going (dropping svlte) and realize I could possibly save some money elsewhere.

I spend a lot of time in places without good wi-fi and can use quite a lot of data trying to keep myself entertained. Of course, since it's Sprint, I pre-load a lot of music etc because I know if I go too deeply into the interior of a building I lose data. I will probably use more than the 2-3 gigs a month I currently use if I switch to a carrier that has good indoor penetration.

(I also maybe don't need that decent roaming option if another carrier doesn't roam when indoors :v: )

Any recommendations? Is there a cheap way to try out other carriers' data performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
About 2 years ago, I ended up taking this thread's advice and getting a Galaxy Nexus. Would it make sense to upgrade to a Galaxy S4 or S5?

(Carrier is Verizon, line on a family plan, though I pay for data)

Willing to spend a up to $300.