Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Valithan posted:

My iPhone 4 was just killed by a bad drop while walking my dog so I'm looking for a new phone.

Right now I'm USA/AT&T/price isn't really an issue.

The most important thing to me is the quality of the camera / battery life. What should I be looking at? I'm really out of the loop as far as phones go so I have no idea where to start.

If you liked your iPhone just get the 6 or 6+, 64 or 128GB size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qadaffi Taffy
Oct 1, 2006

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510
Posted this in the wrong thread.

I want a new phone as a Verizon customer. 

I cutently have the HTC one m7. I bought it used with root and custum Rom etc and the battery is comeplete poo poo. I'm a moderate to heavy user and the phone needs a recharge by the end of the work day most of the time. 

I've narrowed down my choices to the HTC one m8 or the Moto X. I've found both for sale in good shape on swappa.com. the moto x is about a hundred and forty dollars more however as it's a newer phone. I like the stock android feature and voice control feature of the Moto x. The HTC one m8 looks like a nicer phone to me however. And I don't mind sense really. 

My main deciding factors I think are going to be the camera and secondly battery life. Reviews state that both cameras are just ok. Does anyone have any side by side camera shot examples of the m8 and the moto x? I'm having a hard time finding some. Anyone have a personal preference between the two based on experience?

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
Welp, my phone was recently stolen and my upgrade it's until the end of December. I was thinking about grabbing a cheap android verizon phone for the time being. After using almost exclusively iPhones for the past five years I'm kind of unsure what to look for. Main use will be web browsing and texting. Anyone have any recommendations for a $100-$150 price point, preferably around $100. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Piearesquared posted:

Posted this in the wrong thread.

I want a new phone as a Verizon customer. 

I cutently have the HTC one m7. I bought it used with root and custum Rom etc and the battery is comeplete poo poo. I'm a moderate to heavy user and the phone needs a recharge by the end of the work day most of the time. 

I've narrowed down my choices to the HTC one m8 or the Moto X. I've found both for sale in good shape on swappa.com. the moto x is about a hundred and forty dollars more however as it's a newer phone. I like the stock android feature and voice control feature of the Moto x. The HTC one m8 looks like a nicer phone to me however. And I don't mind sense really. 

My main deciding factors I think are going to be the camera and secondly battery life. Reviews state that both cameras are just ok. Does anyone have any side by side camera shot examples of the m8 and the moto x? I'm having a hard time finding some. Anyone have a personal preference between the two based on experience?

Camera on the M8 is pretty terrible, I would have a hard time believing the new Moto X camera is as bad. So if camera is important, do NOT get the M8.

I love my M8 (use it for work) a lot otherwise, it has fantastic battery life in particular, but I used the camera on a vacation and it just doesn't look good, and I'm not a picky camera person. I couldn't use it as my only camera again.

Albert Cole
Oct 17, 2013
So at the moment I am thinking about getting the LG tribute with the unlimited your way plan from Virgin for 35$ a month.
I have had a moto razr flip phone since around 2005-6 and was wondering what the overall consensus is on this decision before I even attempt at getting a smartphone.
I guess my question would be what plan and phone can I be recommended for about 500-700 dollars when I primarily would be using the phone for email, text, and web browsing.
I also want to avoid any phone that runs on the iOS or windows. I would prefer a phone that uses android.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Albert Cole posted:

So at the moment I am thinking about getting the LG tribute with the unlimited your way plan from Virgin for 35$ a month.
I have had a moto razr flip phone since around 2005-6 and was wondering what the overall consensus is on this decision before I even attempt at getting a smartphone.
I guess my question would be what plan and phone can I be recommended for about 500-700 dollars when I primarily would be using the phone for email, text, and web browsing.
I also want to avoid any phone that runs on the iOS or windows. I would prefer a phone that uses android.

Do the TMobile nerd plan. $30 a month, 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB of data. Minute overages are $0.10 a minute, and honestly you can probably use google voice with Hangouts VOIP to just use your data on phone calls.

Virgin runs off Sprint's network, Tmobile is simply night and day faster. Phone wise the Moto G (2nd ten) is $179. apparently you can find the original Moto X for pretty cheap as well. Nexus 5 is $350.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The first gen Moto X is $230 new on eBay right now. I'm not really sure the Nexus 5 is worth $120 more.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I'm also looking to pick up a new phone for the T-Mobile nerd plan. I was leaning towards the Nexus 5 at first, but now I've been hearing more about the Moto X and Moto G. Anyone want to explain the differences and help me pick one?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Moto G is a low-mid range phone running a very close to stock version of Android with a couple small, useful enhancements. It's cheap and certainly the best thing you can get at the cost. The current version has pretty identical internal hardware, but they gave it a bigger screen than the first generation. It lacks LTE, though they made an LTE model of the first generation that you can still probably get. They cost $180-200 unlocked depending on generation, model, and storage.

The Moto X similarly has had two generations and it's a mid-high end phone (that is, maybe not quite as cutting edge hardware as other flagships, but not in any way that really matters) that also runs a close to stock version of Android with several enhancements. Most notable is the Active Notifications where it pulses the AMOLED screen at you to show you notifications. There's two generations, with the first being a year old and being sold for $230 unlocked on eBay right now and the second being $500 unlocked or $99 with a subsidy (which doesn't apply to you). The first gen is absolutely worth $30-50 more than any Moto G unless you absolutely have to have the bigger screen.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The only thing I'd add is the first gen Moto X had a weak camera that the second gen improved. The first gen Moto X is also like the perfect size if you don't want a giant phone.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Current Contract: No contract - Basic 200 Sprint plan month-to-month.

Budget: $50 month

I'm currently paying ~$40 a month for a Sprint plan on a plain cell phone with texting; my texting and calling are both pretty light, but I'd really like to grab a smart phone, mostly for the occasional web search and for access to GPS while driving. I'm not worried about paying for the phone itself upfront, but I'm looking to find the cheapest plan setup for me. Should I shoot for a pay-as-you-go plan because of my light usage pattern? What about something like metroPCS's $40 a month basic plan?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mo_Steel posted:

Current Contract: No contract - Basic 200 Sprint plan month-to-month.

Budget: $50 month

I'm currently paying ~$40 a month for a Sprint plan on a plain cell phone with texting; my texting and calling are both pretty light, but I'd really like to grab a smart phone, mostly for the occasional web search and for access to GPS while driving. I'm not worried about paying for the phone itself upfront, but I'm looking to find the cheapest plan setup for me. Should I shoot for a pay-as-you-go plan because of my light usage pattern? What about something like metroPCS's $40 a month basic plan?

Metro is same as tmobile so that is probably fine. Tmobile has a $30 prepaid plan for 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB of data. See the Tmobile thread for details.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Metro is same as tmobile so that is probably fine. Tmobile has a $30 prepaid plan for 100 mins, unlimited text and 5GB of data. See the Tmobile thread for details.

I'll take a look, thanks.

e: Sounds like exactly what I'm after, thanks a ton. :)

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 26, 2014

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Recommend me a new smart phone!

Current Contract: AT&T, 2 year contact is up (by a lot) but I'm so grandfathered into it, they have me for life. Cingular customers unite!

Budget: =< $200 for a new AT&T phone w/ a 2 yr contract & $100 credit for my old 4S.

I have only had iPhone smart phones but I am very tired of how limited and restricting they and and hate just everything about iTunes.
I use my current phone , I stream music, especially when I go to bed, or look at pictures and videos via the SA app. I also play a lot of games so battery life is important. I don't want to wake up with 10% battery and have to charge it in my car on my way to work. If it charges fast or has a battery extender that isn't massive in size and price. I also have a tendency to multi-task and be forgetfull so the ability to multi-task, rapidly switch between apps, and help me not forget to pick up the milk on my way home is key.
I would like a large screen so I can use it to read more and watch movies/TV shows.
I would also like ti to have a lot of memory, either built in or upgradeable.
I would also like to use it to assist in Geo-caching. So if it has great GPS capabilities then all the better.

Finally, I would like it to be the most recent version of whoever makes the phone.

I don't care about swap-able batteries, OS specific apps, chargers/connector types, OS platforms, if the best phone for me is the new iPhone. I just want a recommendation on what phone would probably be best for me.

I played around with Amazon's phone and I liked some aspects of it but I felt the interface was a little clunky. However, it may be me just not being used to anything that isn't an iPhone. I real like the aspect of being so connected to my Amazon Prime account for music and movies and my Kindle books.

Thanks in advance!

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 28, 2014

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Anyone hear anything about Allview phones? They seem to be pretty well equipped for the price.

For refference: http://www.allviewmobile.com/index.php?id=6

I'm particularly curious because i heard they're manufactured in my country (that's Romania) and the few people i know that have them seem to speak highly of them but i can't seem to be able to find much info or many reviews of said phones that come from outside my country so figured i'd ask here at least.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Country/Provider: USA - Verizon

Current contract status: On contract

Budget (phone/plan): Less than $250

Features I know I want: LTE

I'm looking to lower my cel phone bill. Right now, I've got 3 phones on the lowest Verizon family plan w\4GB shared data. Unlimited txt is kind of a must because my wife and I work different shifts and communicate through txt a lot. I tried lowering data but found we ended up going over so 4GB is kind of a sweet spot.

If it helps, I'm in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. It should theoretically be covered well but I've had issues with T-Mobile\Sprint in the past but it's been 5+ years.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Got a combination of recommendation request and a phone question. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Gio, with a China Unicom SIM card. I will be relocated to Vietnam in the near future, but will still need to travel to China for business. So, I was wondering if a dual-SIM card would be worth looking into. Are they actually useful, or just a gimmick?

Countries: China / Vietnam

Providers: China Unicom / Viettel maybe?

Key Features:
- Dual SIM?
- Good camera, high res with an auto-focus that isn't infuriating.
- Android OS variant that is not terrible. My bar is pretty low, so something that's responsive with a UI that isn't rear end would be fine.

The other stuff I want can be taken care of with software (multilingual keyboards, dictionaries, etc.).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Current Contract: AT&T, 2 year contact is up (by a lot) but I'm so grandfathered into it, they have me for life. Cingular customers unite!

Budget: =< $200 for a new AT&T phone w/ a 2 yr contract & $100 credit for my old 4S.

I have only had iPhone smart phones but I am very tired of how limited and restricting they and and hate just everything about iTunes.
I use my current phone , I stream music, especially when I go to bed, or look at pictures and videos via the SA app. I also play a lot of games so battery life is important. I don't want to wake up with 10% battery and have to charge it in my car on my way to work. If it charges fast or has a battery extender that isn't massive in size and price. I also have a tendency to multi-task and be forgetfull so the ability to multi-task, rapidly switch between apps, and help me not forget to pick up the milk on my way home is key.
I would like a large screen so I can use it to read more and watch movies/TV shows.
I would also like ti to have a lot of memory, either built in or upgradeable.
I would also like to use it to assist in Geo-caching. So if it has great GPS capabilities then all the better.

Finally, I would like it to be the most recent version of whoever makes the phone.

I don't care about swap-able batteries, OS specific apps, chargers/connector types, OS platforms, if the best phone for me is the new iPhone. I just want a recommendation on what phone would probably be best for me.

I played around with Amazon's phone and I liked some aspects of it but I felt the interface was a little clunky. However, it may be me just not being used to anything that isn't an iPhone. I real like the aspect of being so connected to my Amazon Prime account for music and movies and my Kindle books.

Thanks in advance!

Games are best on the new iPhone, assuming you don't mind paying for them. Personally, iphone 6 or 6+ would match what you're looking for. The Plus ($100 more) in particular has ridiculous battery life if you don't mind a really large screened phone. If you don't want a phone that large, I have the 6, I don't find it that big, battery will make it all day. You want to plus it in every night, but they charge fast.

FYI the 64GB 6 is $100 more than the 16Gb, by probably worth it for that much more storage. Same with the plus. Just fyi all iPhones are back ordered at ATT, and probably hit or miss at Apple. Check your Apple Store, worst case place an order by end of the month and have it shipped, that locks you in for the $100 trade in promo. If you wait until November you might not get the trade in.

Holy Moley don't get the Amazon Fire phone. Just don't. You can have all the prime features on an iPhone and have a phone that works and more than 5 people bought (hence developers will support it for apps).

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 30, 2014

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tupperwarez posted:

Got a combination of recommendation request and a phone question. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Gio, with a China Unicom SIM card. I will be relocated to Vietnam in the near future, but will still need to travel to China for business. So, I was wondering if a dual-SIM card would be worth looking into. Are they actually useful, or just a gimmick?

Countries: China / Vietnam

Providers: China Unicom / Viettel maybe?

Key Features:
- Dual SIM?
- Good camera, high res with an auto-focus that isn't infuriating.
- Android OS variant that is not terrible. My bar is pretty low, so something that's responsive with a UI that isn't rear end would be fine.

The other stuff I want can be taken care of with software (multilingual keyboards, dictionaries, etc.).

Dual-SIM is pretty big in China and the rest of Asia because quite a few local carriers don't have widespread coverage, and some carriers even charge higher fees to call numbers outside of their network.

Normally, you'd have to pick between having dual-SIM and having LTE access, but some flagship phones like the Galaxy S5 have dual-SIM versions made in China that also have LTE antennas. Those are few and far between, though. According to Wikipedia, Vietnam doesn't have any carriers with LTE and China's LTE network isn't really compatible with most of the rest of the world, so you might as well get dual-SIM anyway if you feel you need it.

Most major OEMs like Samsung don't really have dual-SIM phones that don't have poo poo specs, so your best choice might be to look for a dual-SIM Motorola Moto G (2014 version). Alternatively, you can look at the dual-SIM options at Xiaomi. Their product quality has gone up ever since Hugo Barra from Google joined them, and they're currently the third biggest smartphone OEM after Samsung and Apple.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So I have a Lumia 920 from a year ago, and recently bought a Lumia 1520. Sometimes I want a massive screen, sometimes I don't. What's the easiest way to use a single plan and be able to pick and choose which phone I want to take with me for the day? SIM CLOOONNINGGG!!!? Is that even a real thing?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Duckman2008 posted:

Games are best on the new iPhone, assuming you don't mind paying for them. Personally, iphone 6 or 6+ would match what you're looking for. The Plus ($100 more) in particular has ridiculous battery life if you don't mind a really large screened phone. If you don't want a phone that large, I have the 6, I don't find it that big, battery will make it all day. You want to plus it in every night, but they charge fast.

FYI the 64GB 6 is $100 more than the 16Gb, by probably worth it for that much more storage. Same with the plus. Just fyi all iPhones are back ordered at ATT, and probably hit or miss at Apple. Check your Apple Store, worst case place an order by end of the month and have it shipped, that locks you in for the $100 trade in promo. If you wait until November you might not get the trade in.

Holy Moley don't get the Amazon Fire phone. Just don't. You can have all the prime features on an iPhone and have a phone that works and more than 5 people bought (hence developers will support it for apps).

What about the Lumia 1520? I like the concept behind Cortona but how supported are windows phones.?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

What about the Lumia 1520? I like the concept behind Cortona but how supported are windows phones.?

Windows Phone is a platform perpetually two steps behind, from third-party app developers not caring (their apps are there, but always behind their Android/iOS counterparts) and Microsoft's own tenuous commitment to the platform.

If you want a not-Apple alternative, and don't mind the size, the Nexus 6 looks nice and it'll have a 64 GB version. It'll be out sometime in November. If you need more storage than that, buy a Galaxy Note 4 and jam in a 128 GB microSD card.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm entering into a new contract and will be choosing between an iPhone 5S 16GB, HTC One (M8), Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3. I'm pretty sure the iPhone is out because I'll want more space than it can provide.

I like what I've heard about the Galaxy Note 3 but there are times when I am driving that I need to be able to make a call, manipulate google maps or answer the phone which I understand can be difficult to do one-handed on a device that size. I'm aware there is a one-handed feature, has anyone found this to suffice for the things I'd need to do?

Assuming it can't it's between the HTC One and Galaxy S5. I think the determining factors will be battery life and audio quality, I've looked at engadget's aggregate reviews and it appears the HTC One comes out ahead for media support with comparable battery life.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

I'd wait for the Nexus 6 to come out and play with that versus a Note 4 or LG G3. Other than that your option is a iPhone 6+. The Amazon phone is a piece of poo poo.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
I am in Canada (Montreal) and I am fairly sure I want to get a Moto X, probably first gen unlocked off eBay. Who should I go to for unlocked service with this phone? I don't want unlimited anything, just moderate texting and data and a good number of minutes. Currently I am with Telus who likes to throw in something for free like caller ID as I've been with them for a long time but I really don't mind switching to someone else.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in Canada. Right now I've got a business plan with Telus for two phones that are up for renewal.

My current plan includes:

700 minutes, shareable between the two
Unlimited evenings after 6pm and weekends
Unlimited texts
6gb data in Canada, shared between the two
Unlimited between two phones across Canada
Unlimited incoming mobile to mobile calls
1000 incoming minutes free, for each phone
Call display, voicemail, etc.

I'm almost positive that I won't be able to get this plan again if I sign up for another contract ... but I also want two iPhone 6s.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to drop $2k on phones outright to keep this plan, or if there's a similar plan that will allow me to get subsidized phones, or if I'm better off splitting the two phones on to separate plans (with a different provider?)

It works pretty good right now because my wife uses all the minutes, and I use all the data, so if I split into two plans, I'd need one plan targeting lots of data, and one targeting unlimited talk and text.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Okay, don't really know anything about phones but I lost mine recently and after a week of searching my house and phoning bus agencies I can't really find anything.

I live in Canada, my last plan was a top up 40$ a month thing with unlimited text talk and data so I'd probably want a plan that covers that. Really the type of phone doesn't matter much if I can save money but I'd like something with a touch screen, I don't use it for much other than checking facebook and sending messages to people. If there's anything else just tell me and I'll edit it in.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I've only ever known Verizon and my contract is up so I'm looking for a new carrier!

I'm in the US, and the only requirements are unlimited text and 1-2gigs of data. I use barely 100 minutes a month and I mostly use wifi on my phone except at work or when traveling so I rarely top a gig of data.

There's just so much information out there that I get super confused when looking this stuff up.

I also have a Samsung GNex and I'd ideally like to be able to still use it. If not though, it's really no big deal. I don't want to pay like 10 bucks more a month because I have to have CDMA or something.

foxy boxing babe
Jan 17, 2010

I want to replace my broken camera 16GB iPhone 4s and dump my Verizon service. I'm certain I want to go with a prepaid plan, which seems to mean buying a phone at full price. I would spring for a 5s or even a 6 in a heartbeat because I'm already pretty invested in the Apple ecosystem, but I cringe every time I look at the price tag. Right now I'm in a situation where I should probably be more responsible with my money, at least for a little while.

Country/Provider: United States/Verizon

Current contract status: None

Budget (phone/plan): $300, $60/mo

Features I know I want: As decent a camera as possible in this range. I'm probably going to go with Cricket because AT&T's towers have the next best coverage in my area when compared to Verizon. Sprint was garbage when I had them and T-Mobile is a little sparse looking, enough to make me worry.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Inudeku posted:

I've only ever known Verizon and my contract is up so I'm looking for a new carrier!

I'm in the US, and the only requirements are unlimited text and 1-2gigs of data. I use barely 100 minutes a month and I mostly use wifi on my phone except at work or when traveling so I rarely top a gig of data.

There's just so much information out there that I get super confused when looking this stuff up.

I also have a Samsung GNex and I'd ideally like to be able to still use it. If not though, it's really no big deal. I don't want to pay like 10 bucks more a month because I have to have CDMA or something.
You can't use it anywhere other than MVNOs using Verizon. You probably don't want that.

You sound like the T-Mobile $30 nerd plan would probably be for you. Pair that with a cheap, decent phone like an unlocked 2013 Moto X (on eBay for $200 right now!) or a Nexus 5 and you're good to go. If you travel to more remote areas, then Cricket will be a bit more expensive, but offer better coverage than T-Mobile.

Julie And Candy posted:

I want to replace my broken camera 16GB iPhone 4s and dump my Verizon service. I'm certain I want to go with a prepaid plan, which seems to mean buying a phone at full price. I would spring for a 5s or even a 6 in a heartbeat because I'm already pretty invested in the Apple ecosystem, but I cringe every time I look at the price tag. Right now I'm in a situation where I should probably be more responsible with my money, at least for a little while.

Country/Provider: United States/Verizon

Budget (phone/plan): $300, $60/mo

Features I know I want: As decent a camera as possible in this range. I'm probably going to go with Cricket because AT&T's towers have the next best coverage in my area when compared to Verizon. Sprint was garbage when I had them and T-Mobile is a little sparse looking, enough to make me worry.
See above, though a Nexus 5 will be a hair above your price range. Neither has a great camera, but probably the best you'll find in that price range.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 4, 2014

Snostorm
Sep 9, 2013
Country/Provider: US (Bay Area) / AT&T

Current contract status: finished 2 year contract off current iPhone5, grandfathered unlimited data plan

Budget (phone/plan): doesn't matter

Features I know I want: tethering (although I don't want to pay $20 monthly for it). Good camera. I know I don't want a phablet.

My work supplies me now with a Verizon iPhone 6, so I'm interested in trying out a droid phone. I don't know if I want to keep my grandfathered data plan or not (I average 2-3 gb monthly only, since I don't stream on my phone), so I'm not trapped to AT&T. I've been reading about the Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3compact that sound pretty appealing since I have a PS4, but that would mean I would have to go to Tmobile for their free hotspot (Verizon's Z3 is inferior and rooting the phone for tethering loses the DRM for PS4 Remote Play functionality).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Country/Provider: United States / Verizon

Current contract status: Family plan (2 phones) with Unlimited Data (grandfathered)

Budget (phone/plan): I don't mind keeping my current plan, but I have a iPhone 4S right now, and I have to take 24 hour call at a hospital weekly, which has lovely wifi. If I could get a 4G phone, jailbreak/root it, and stream to my iPad or laptop, I could keep up with shows while I hang around the call room.

Features I know I want: iPhone/Android doesn't matter to me. I want it to be rootable/jailbreakable. I don't want to use an "upgrade" because I do not want to lose unlimited data. I know 4G gets a bit throttled during "peak" hours, but it's gonna be mostly nights and weekends, and will likely be pretty fast. (I'll have a co-worker run a speed test on a verizon phone with 4G sometime this week to give me an idea of how it will be out there.)

So I'm going to have to buy this phone outright. Would a used Android or maybe iPhone 5 be a good choice? I don't really love how huge Androids have become, because I have to carry around my phone in a scrub shirt pocket. But I suppose I could get one of those goofy waist holsters.

Just looking for a phone that will be a significant upgrade over the iPhone 4S that isn't too enormous and will possibly last me a couple years. And is 'rootable' or jailbreakable. Thank you!

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

revengeanceful posted:

Currently on Sprint Simply Everything Plan with two iPhones (5 and 5s) as the devices on the account. Voice and messaging usage is somewhat limited, use about 2GB of data a month but could probably scale that back a little. Monthly bill is $160 after taxes etc. One contract expires in January, the other in November 2015. Is there any reason I shouldn't consider switching to Ting? My preliminary cost comparison has me cutting my monthly bill roughly in half, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with doing this or knows of anything in particular I should be aware of in making this switch. I'm okay with not being able to have the latest and greatest devices.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

revengeanceful posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

How do you feel about your Sprint service? Are data speeds and coverage acceptable to you? If so, I guess you'd be okay with Ting.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Snostorm posted:

Country/Provider: US (Bay Area) / AT&T

Current contract status: finished 2 year contract off current iPhone5, grandfathered unlimited data plan

Budget (phone/plan): doesn't matter

Features I know I want: tethering (although I don't want to pay $20 monthly for it). Good camera. I know I don't want a phablet.

My work supplies me now with a Verizon iPhone 6, so I'm interested in trying out a droid phone. I don't know if I want to keep my grandfathered data plan or not (I average 2-3 gb monthly only, since I don't stream on my phone), so I'm not trapped to AT&T. I've been reading about the Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3compact that sound pretty appealing since I have a PS4, but that would mean I would have to go to Tmobile for their free hotspot (Verizon's Z3 is inferior and rooting the phone for tethering loses the DRM for PS4 Remote Play functionality).

Buy an iPhone 6 with your upgrade, sell it, and buy an unlocked Z3 Compact (D5803 for AT&T.) It's got the best camera out of any Android that's not a phablet.

Chinook posted:

Country/Provider: United States / Verizon

Current contract status: Family plan (2 phones) with Unlimited Data (grandfathered)

Budget (phone/plan): I don't mind keeping my current plan, but I have a iPhone 4S right now, and I have to take 24 hour call at a hospital weekly, which has lovely wifi. If I could get a 4G phone, jailbreak/root it, and stream to my iPad or laptop, I could keep up with shows while I hang around the call room.

Features I know I want: iPhone/Android doesn't matter to me. I want it to be rootable/jailbreakable. I don't want to use an "upgrade" because I do not want to lose unlimited data. I know 4G gets a bit throttled during "peak" hours, but it's gonna be mostly nights and weekends, and will likely be pretty fast. (I'll have a co-worker run a speed test on a verizon phone with 4G sometime this week to give me an idea of how it will be out there.)

So I'm going to have to buy this phone outright. Would a used Android or maybe iPhone 5 be a good choice? I don't really love how huge Androids have become, because I have to carry around my phone in a scrub shirt pocket. But I suppose I could get one of those goofy waist holsters.

Just looking for a phone that will be a significant upgrade over the iPhone 4S that isn't too enormous and will possibly last me a couple years. And is 'rootable' or jailbreakable. Thank you!

Here's a NOS 2013 Moto X on eBay for $250. The 2013 X has fantastic ergonomics, and your phone will stay updated for a while since Motorola phones on Verizon don't have to go through quite the same fuckery that everyone else does with updates there.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Godzilla07 posted:

Here's a NOS 2013 Moto X on eBay for $250. The 2013 X has fantastic ergonomics, and your phone will stay updated for a while since Motorola phones on Verizon don't have to go through quite the same fuckery that everyone else does with updates there.

Thanks! Will Verizon let me use this phone and just slip it into my plan? There's not some SIM-card Verizon-only nonsense that I have to consider?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chinook posted:

Thanks! Will Verizon let me use this phone and just slip it into my plan? There's not some SIM-card Verizon-only nonsense that I have to consider?
No, as long as it's a Verizon phone, you can just pop your SIM card in and it *should* just work (assuming appropriately sized SIM card). At worst you might have to head to the Verizon store and get a new SIM card.

EDIT: Just looked back and you have an iPhone 4S which is 3G. The Moto X *should* come with a SIM card, but you'll have to go through activation.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

My dad wants to replace his AT&T iPhone with an Android with a bigger screen. He wants to buy it off-contract for under $400. Not a phablet, but something with a 5"-ish screen would probably be ideal. He's not at all techy so reliability and ease of use are key. My own hope is that it should have the most recent OS version possible and have a roadmap for Lollipop in the near future. Suggestions? The price point seems like it will be the limiting factor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LifeSizePotato posted:

My dad wants to replace his AT&T iPhone with an Android with a bigger screen. He wants to buy it off-contract for under $400. Not a phablet, but something with a 5"-ish screen would probably be ideal. He's not at all techy so reliability and ease of use are key. My own hope is that it should have the most recent OS version possible and have a roadmap for Lollipop in the near future. Suggestions? The price point seems like it will be the limiting factor.

2013 Moto X (4.7", $200-230 new on eBay) or Nexus 5 (5", $350-400 on the Google Play store). If he can wait a hair, the 2014 Moto X (5.2", $500 unlocked from Motorola and customizable, or $450 with an educational discount) might have a Black Friday sale he can try for. Only the Nexus has a definite roadmap for Lollipop, but the Motos should get it fairly quickly if past performance predicts the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrontRowSeat
Jul 14, 2006

I would often visit the local duck pond to contemplate life and consider which duck looked the most delicious.
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Budget (phone/plan): Doesn't matter

Features I know I want: High quality camera for both still pictures and videos for filming videos of action packed movement like rock climbing, gymnastics, martial arts. Tough enough to accompany me on long journeys in the Maine woods. Preferably not huge, but that's that big of a deal.

Basically I want to promote my business as a MovNat Certified Trainer, which is kinda like parkour but in the woods with rocks and logs and stuff.

Thanks, goons.