Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
This page is a good place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Godzilla07 posted:

The Xperia Z3, while it doesn't have as nice a software experience as the Moto X, offers a better camera and much better battery life in return.

Actually I've been overthinking this way too much and was thinking I'd just default back to another Samsung phone. Convince me why I should go for the Moto X/Xperia Z3 over an S5/Note 4 if I don't really care too much about the pure Android experience.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Their marketing seems silly and they've made a few missteps there but I'm not seeing any glaring problems. Apparently people have been reporting lots of problems but everything seems to be running great on my device. Is there something I'm missing?

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I left the country to travel for a year, and now I'm home, and I need to get a phone. I am joining my company's Verizon plan so I don't have to pay for the plan, but I may have to kick in a little bit for the phone. Before leaving, I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus that I was fairly happy with.

Provider: Verizon
Features Required: Must be Android. I don't want a massive screen, something 5" or smaller please (Galaxy Nexus was ~4.65" and I thought that was just fine). I'd like something with non-obtrusive OEM software or preferably something from the Nexus family so there's none. I mostly use the phone for playing Scrabble, responding to work emails, reading junk on Wikipedia, and getting driving directions.

I have access to a free Samsung Galaxy S3 that probably meets all these requirements, so I guess I'm wondering if there's something awesome that's come out in the last 12-18 months that would fit the bill and be substantially better that I just haven't heard of because I've been out of the loop? Thanks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I wrote this rant a long time ago (ironically in telling someone they should buy one) on what the CM experience is like:

LastInLine posted:

First off let me preface by saying I think you should get it if you can get one. Being as you're in Taiwan this is going to be better supported than any of the Shenzhen specials and it will work better too. CM's improvements are well-thought out and work for the most part as advertised and are genuinely nice to have around.

The thing with living with CM is that none of the issues seem like they should be issues in even daily use. Oh wifi/cell data handoff doesn't work 100% of the time after tonight's nightly? Tomorrow's nightly might fix it. Or it might not and it's a problem for a month but then someone fixes and it's a problem easily forgotten. With a review unit I assume small niggles like that are chalked up to "maybe it's my network" or "maybe it's my device". Eventually though you start to see that even on so-called "Stable" releases there's always something that doesn't work right. Now, maybe that's because the makers are targeting Nexus devices and welp, the Galaxy S3 does something strange so there's your issue. Again, nothing you can say is a problem with CM but is just the nature of supporting such a wide array of devices but that's not something that should apply to a phone designed from the ground up for CM.

In the end though it's a treadmill and the carrot is always a 100% working device. A glance through this thread will show you that outstanding issues exist on every device, Nexuses included and CM's faster release schedule addresses flaws faster and that's all true, but it doesn't mean it's not still a treadmill, it's just moving a lot quicker.

The result being that you end up spending more and more of your time janitoring your phone, updating the firmware and wiping things just to see if maybe this time everything will work and in the case of Nexus devices all for a set of diminishing returns in terms of features added. Stock Android has gotten so much better and now includes so much of what CM used to add that dealing with the constant updates to address bugs that feel small but annoying just isn't worth the battle. Once Xposed/GravityBox came along it was pretty much the nail in the coffin for CM because now you didn't have to deal with it at all to get the features.

There's also the fact that reviewers are reviewing a lot of lovely devices. They aren't comparing this device to the ideal Android phone, they're comparing it to Samsungs and LGs with horrible stock firmware or non-flagships that break things all the time and diminish the user experience constantly and to them, the CM phone is going to look pretty loving good, warts and all.

Let's use the example of the voice actions. They don't work and are garbage on the CM phone. Lots of reasons for that, most beyond CM's control but there you go. Either way that's a line in a review ("I couldn't get voice actions to work but CM says they're working to improve it.") and users with skin in the game are going to say every update "improves" it (dubious, at best) and then if it works 50% it's "fixed" (better than it was) and you're left with a device with a feature that fails often enough that it's worthless. That's CM in a nutshell.

I still have my doubts as to how good they'll be about updating this device to new Android versions. Major OEMs get prerelease software (now) and the results are clear as even Samsung and LG have been able to issue updates pretty quickly. CM has historically been very slow to move to new Android versions (just due to the sheer amounts of changes they make to the underlying software) and when it comes to a major change like Android L I have serious doubts they'll be able to issue an update in anything resembling a reasonable timeframe. The software this device uses is heavily modified and it will be no small feat if they can port their changes to Android L quickly. In the past (the move from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich) they took about six months to get to "this is just stock Android" and then another six months to get to "this is 4.0 with all the CM features ported in". It took so long, in fact, that they skipped making a stable version of CM9 and went straight to CM10. Android L is going to be an even bigger changeset so what do you think will happen?

Again, if it's this phone versus any no-name, cheap as hell Chinese Android, sure, it's a great phone at a great price, buy it. If it's this phone versus a Nexus or a Moto, the Nexus and the Moto are going to be a better experience in the long run. By the way, I'm not using those two because they're my favorites (they are) but because their user experience is the most like CM's and the most similar to what CM is trying to accomplish.

Does this make sense?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

pandaK posted:

Actually I've been overthinking this way too much and was thinking I'd just default back to another Samsung phone. Convince me why I should go for the Moto X/Xperia Z3 over an S5/Note 4 if I don't really care too much about the pure Android experience.

Even if you don't care about the ideal of stock Android, good software extends the life of a device and makes it nice to use rather than a chore. There are OEMs with decent software, like HTC and Sony. But Samsung's software has always been questionable at best, and why buy a phone with questionable software when there are phones with similar hardware and much better software? The Z3 has better battery life, a better camera, and better software than the SGS5.

That being said, I can make an exception for the Note 4 since its battery life, camera and screen are so much better than its immediate Android competitor, the Nexus 6.

Sub Par posted:

I left the country to travel for a year, and now I'm home, and I need to get a phone. I am joining my company's Verizon plan so I don't have to pay for the plan, but I may have to kick in a little bit for the phone. Before leaving, I had a Samsung Galaxy Nexus that I was fairly happy with.

Provider: Verizon
Features Required: Must be Android. I don't want a massive screen, something 5" or smaller please (Galaxy Nexus was ~4.65" and I thought that was just fine). I'd like something with non-obtrusive OEM software or preferably something from the Nexus family so there's none. I mostly use the phone for playing Scrabble, responding to work emails, reading junk on Wikipedia, and getting driving directions.

I have access to a free Samsung Galaxy S3 that probably meets all these requirements, so I guess I'm wondering if there's something awesome that's come out in the last 12-18 months that would fit the bill and be substantially better that I just haven't heard of because I've been out of the loop? Thanks.

The 2013 Moto X still holds up pretty well today, has great ergonomics, and offers a very similar experience to a Nexus device with stock Android and very quick updates.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Godzilla07 posted:

The 2013 Moto X still holds up pretty well today, has great ergonomics, and offers a very similar experience to a Nexus device with stock Android and very quick updates.

Thanks! I'll see if I can grab one at the Verizon store later today.

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004
I'm on the Verizon network, which phone is better for gaming and emulation? The Galaxy S5 or the Note 3? Both are only 97 cents at Sam's Club during the Thanksgiving sales.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So family plan upgrades are coming around, and I've been thinking of replacing my iPhone 4 with something that runs Android. It's gonna be a gift from my mom's side, so I'm limited to what is cheap at the Verizon store. Two year contract though, so that's a few different options.

Country/Provider: US/Verizon
Budget (phone/plan): Anything "Free," or up to $50, with a two year contract.

Features I know I want:
A decent battery, removable storage, Android OS. Relatively durable, and preferably with good case support. Any size works, but preference towards larger screens.
Camera preferably at least on par with an iPhone 4.

It's mostly gonna be used for posting on SA, taking picture of my baby brother, playing the occasional game, and testing whatever apps I feel like writing.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 19, 2014

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

LastInLine posted:

Compared to the Nexus 4, the Nexus 5 is more comfortable to hold, carry, and use in every way. It's thinner, easier to grip, nicely tapered, and far better to use one handed due to all of this. If you're satisfied with the size of the N4, I think you'll prefer the N5 in actual use.

OK I guess nexus 5 seems acceptable, any recommendations on how I can buy one? Google has been out of stock for the past week. Is it still in production?

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

There are budget iPhone options from free on contract on up but I'd tell you to get the most recent iPhone 6/6+ and let that last you three years rather than getting an older one and then needing to replace it sooner. Certainly don't go for one that's not 64-bit (5c, 4S).

I don't see $600 worth of value between the 4 and the 6. The 6 is too new, and seems horrendously overpriced right now. I can't seem to find certified pre owned 5Ses, let alone 6s, and it looks like pre-owned 5s still run $250 or so. The jump from $250 for a pre-owned 5 to $550 for a new 5S is steep enough to make me balk.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

peepsalot posted:

OK I guess nexus 5 seems acceptable, any recommendations on how I can buy one? Google has been out of stock for the past week. Is it still in production?
I honestly don't know where to buy one right at the moment but Google did say they would continue to sell it throughout 2015.

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

I don't see $600 worth of value between the 4 and the 6. The 6 is too new, and seems horrendously overpriced right now. I can't seem to find certified pre owned 5Ses, let alone 6s, and it looks like pre-owned 5s still run $250 or so. The jump from $250 for a pre-owned 5 to $550 for a new 5S is steep enough to make me balk.
It's that much of a price difference because iOS8 runs like rear end on the older devices and well on the newer ones. The difference is between a phone that will work horribly for one year and one that will work well for three or four.

The iPhone 4 uses the A4 processor which is 4 years old now, it simply can't handle what the current iOS throws at it, much less what the next version or the one after that will. The Apple A8 is four (or is it 5?) generations newer.

You'd be a fool to get an iPhone 4 in the year of our lord 2015.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

LastInLine posted:

I honestly don't know where to buy one right at the moment but Google did say they would continue to sell it throughout 2015.
It's that much of a price difference because iOS8 runs like rear end on the older devices and well on the newer ones. The difference is between a phone that will work horribly for one year and one that will work well for three or four.

The iPhone 4 uses the A4 processor which is 4 years old now, it simply can't handle what the current iOS throws at it, much less what the next version or the one after that will. The Apple A8 is four (or is it 5?) generations newer.

You'd be a fool to get an iPhone 4 in the year of our lord 2015.

The thing that you're saying that makes no sense to me is that a 3 year old phone is horrible, but that you expect a current phone to last 3-4 years no problem.

To expand, I see your point about improved technology. I see a jump in RAM between the generations, and the jump in RAM speed, even, and I see that the processors have steadily been improving (particularly between the 4 and 4S, and between the 5 and 5S). I even see that Apple doesn't support iOS 8 on the 4 - can you not still run that model with iOS 7? I've been using flip phone for the last decade and it's only the need for email on the go and access to something slightly better than 10 year old paper regional maps that is pushing me towards a smartphone.

I'm willing to do some reading. Why are you saying what you're saying? Link me some use-case information about what runs like poo poo on older models but runs fine on current hardware, and I will find your recommendation compelling. I appreciate you're trying to give good advice but the initial conflict I pointed out makes me think that part of this advice is borne of an attitude I have seen from technophiles that amounts to keeping up with the Joneses.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

So family plan upgrades are coming around, and I've been thinking of replacing my iPhone 4 with something that runs Android. It's gonna be a gift from my mom's side, so I'm limited to what is cheap at the Verizon store. Two year contract though, so that's a few different options.

Country/Provider: US/Verizon
Budget (phone/plan): Anything "Free," or up to $50, with a two year contract.

Features I know I want:
A decent battery, removable storage, Android OS. Relatively durable, and preferably with good case support. Any size works, but preference towards larger screens.
Camera preferably at least on par with an iPhone 4.

It's mostly gonna be used for posting on SA, taking picture of my baby brother, playing the occasional game, and testing whatever apps I feel like writing.

Amazon offers phones for much cheaper, because they get kickbacks from Verizon and you'd have to pay a massive ETF to both Amazon if you cancel before a specified time. The 2014 Moto X is a penny, and the LG G3 is $50.

The 2014 X will last longer since Motorola's been great about supporting phones, and Motorola phones on Verizon don't have to deal with the same fuckery that everyone else does. If you think there's not enough storage with the 2014 X, the G3 is still a nice phone.

The thing that you're saying that makes no sense to me is that a 3 year old phone is horrible, but that you expect a current phone to last 3-4 years no problem.

To expand, I see your point about improved technology. I see a jump in RAM between the generations, and the jump in RAM speed, even, and I see that the processors have steadily been improving (particularly between the 4 and 4S, and between the 5 and 5S). I even see that Apple doesn't support iOS 8 on the 4 - can you not still run that model with iOS 7? I've been using flip phone for the last decade and it's only the need for email on the go and access to something slightly better than 10 year old paper regional maps that is pushing me towards a smartphone.

I'm willing to do some reading. Why are you saying what you're saying? Link me some use-case information about what runs like poo poo on older models but runs fine on current hardware, and I will find your recommendation compelling. I appreciate you're trying to give good advice but the initial conflict I pointed out makes me think that part of this advice is borne of an attitude I have seen from technophiles that amounts to keeping up with the Joneses.

You'll generally get 3 years of life out of an iPhone, and maybe more now that mobile SoCs are not growing as fast as before (see the CPU graph starting to flatten out with the 6 on Apple's iPhone page.) Buying an older model means you're buying a phone that already has time on the clock. The 4S has its 3 years up, and the 5 has a year left although it might have a little more since the A6 is a decent chip even now.

If you don't want to pay $650 for a 6, 5Ses on Swappa, a safe site, are going for around $350-$400.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not in the iOS universe so I don't have resources handy but this isn't like the PC game where a computer is supposed to last a decade. These are devices designed and made to last two years and you're talking about a phone launched 4 years ago. The operating system has changed with the hardware and expects to run on the hardware released in its annual cycle. It needs that better GPU, that better CPU, the additional and faster RAM and NAND storage to run well.

Now Apple is better than anyone else at making current software run on older devices. On the Android side of things you will not be running modern software on a four year old device full stop. It just won't ever happen. The fact that Apple gets it to run at all is amazing and the experience will be horrible.

Not only that, Apple has moved to higher res screens with bigger resolutions, and with the 5S moved to 64-bit processing. They won't even accept new 32-bit apps into the App Store anymore. Given that the operating system has changed in a large way since the iPhone 4 was announced (iOS6 > iOS7), the architecture has changed (32-bit > 64-bit), and the size and complexity of apps have grown along with it, there's just no way you're going to get another 3 years of life out of a 4 year old device--you just won't.

If you're coming from a dumbphone then I'd also argue that you really don't understand your use case for a smartphone. No one does until they use one and integrate it into their daily routine and everyone's use case is unique to a degree. There is no reason to hobble yourself out of the gate with a phone that will be locked out of apps due to its age and specs, not to mention that you'll have to replace relatively soon with something else almost immediately.

Lastly I'm not saying a current phone will last 3-4 years, I'm saying a top-of-the-line current phone will last 3, maybe four years tops. A three year old smartphone is absolute junk and the prices you're seeing reflect that. Just take the subsidy and buy an iPhone 6.

An iPhone 4 won't even run on Verizon's LTE network. Getting a non-LTE phone on Verizon is lunacy so you shouldn't even consider that as an option. Trust me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Okay, so the iPhone 4 reached its end of life a year ago and did not get the most recent major revision of iOS. Will it work to make phone calls, send texts, and check email? Sure, I guess, but it will never get any further updates, to include security updates, and it runs very poorly, not to mention missing a bunch of features that newer phones got (you mention maps as being important to you, and turn-by-turn navigation is NOT available on the 4). Not having the current iOS version means that certain apps will not be available to you, and just by having a phone that old will also prevent you from getting some. As LastInLine noted, it is lacking LTE (as is the 4S), which make a HUGE difference in usability when away from wifi on Verizon, yet you pay the same regardless.

Will an iPhone 6 be a good phone to *buy* in 3 or 4 years? No, but if you buy one TODAY, it will be a good phone for at least the first two of those and will likely continue to be supported for 3 or 4 years (and maybe longer). Buying a 4 today you are not getting a good phone. At this point, I would have a hard time even recommending a 5/5C due to the 32-bit processor which will become something of a hindrance in the next version or two of iOS (I wouldn't be shocked if iOS9 is the last they get because of this).

No one is saying you should get the latest and greatest (well, maybe someone said that), just that buying something that is completely obsolete makes very little sense and you'll likely find yourself unhappy with the purchase.

All that said, you might want to check AT&T's coverage in the areas you find yourself, since it's rarely worse than Verizon on the east coast (out west it can be lacking in comparison) and get a new, unlocked 2013 Moto X from eBay for $200 and use Cricket (one of AT&T's prepaid companies).

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm looking to replace my slightly screwy Galaxy S3 in the next few months, and the thing I'm really looking for in a phone from here is longevity. I don't care about having the latest and greatest, I just want something that is durable and won't start locking up for minutes at a time 2 years down the road thanks to a bloated firmware update.

I'm past the 2 year contract with AT&T at the moment and was thinking about making the jump to Republic Wireless. Would the Moto X fit the bill for this?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Carrier: Verizon, grandfathered unlimited data plan
Budget: Flexible
Features: Durability, battery life, root, comfortably usable in one hand

My ideal phone would be a Nexus 5, but since that doesn't work with Verizon, apparently, that means I have to look elsewhere. I also can't get a phone at an upgrade price, since I'll lose my unlimited data. Being able to root is a necessity for me, because of reasons.

I've been looking at the 2014 Moto X and the HTC One (M8) as my primary options, but having a hard time deciding between the two. Moto X fits more of the size profile I like, but I'd be willing to shell out the extra money to get the M8 if it's really that much better. What are the big differences between the two?

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 20, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

interrodactyl posted:

Carrier: Verizon, grandfathered unlimited data plan
Budget: Flexible
Features: Durability, battery life, root, comfortably usable in one hand

My ideal phone would be a Nexus 5, but since that doesn't work with Verizon, apparently, that means I have to look elsewhere. I also can't get a phone at an upgrade price, since I'll lose my unlimited data. Being able to root is a necessity for me, since I don't want to pay Verizon $10/mo more just for tethering.

I've been looking at the 2014 Moto X and the HTC One (M8) as my primary options, but having a hard time deciding between the two. Moto X fits more of the size profile I like, but I'd be willing to shell out the extra money to get the M8 if it's really that much better. What are the big differences between the two?
The Moto has a slightly faster version of the same processor, they have the same GPU, the Moto has a 0.2" larger screen, though they are both the same resolution. The Moto has an AMOLED screen while the HTC has an LCD. Neither has a particularly great camera, though the Moto's might be a hair better. The M8 has an SD card slot, the Moto does not. The Moto has software much closer to stock Android than the M8. I have no idea about rooting either, you'll have to look that up yourself.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
M8 has the all metal body and front speakers too. The design gets touted a lot but eh I feel like it's nothing special, aside from being made out of metal.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

posters posted:

Good information.

Thank you! I was under the impression that phone tech and software had stabilized a bit more than this suggests. Financially, I think either one of these used 5S or used 5s can make sense, over a 4S. I freely admit I don't know my exact use case, which is why I'm being conservative while buying, so I don't get stuck with something I can't afford, either up front or monthly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thank you! I was under the impression that phone tech and software had stabilized a bit more than this suggests. Financially, I think either one of these used 5S or used 5s can make sense, over a 4S. I freely admit I don't know my exact use case, which is why I'm being conservative while buying, so I don't get stuck with something I can't afford, either up front or monthly.
Hardware tech is maybe just now reaching a point where there won't be major improvements year to year (this year's crop of Androids don't really feel significantly faster than last year's, though they're better on battery, and Apple's own performance charts show the iPhone 6 being faster than the 5S, but not nearly as big a jump as previous generations). Software is constantly being updated and improved on both sides - Apple is on an annual release cycle and Google says they're moving to that, as well, though they've iterated a bit faster in the past.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Endless Mike posted:

You're probably not going to do a whole lot better than what you're paying now, really, if T-Mo isn't an option.

I figured this. Is there any easy way to get a new phone while on sero at all? I'm stuck on a evo 4g and wouldn't mind getting a new phone but would rather not if it will increase my rates as well.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Endless Mike posted:

The Moto has a slightly faster version of the same processor, they have the same GPU, the Moto has a 0.2" larger screen, though they are both the same resolution. The Moto has an AMOLED screen while the HTC has an LCD. Neither has a particularly great camera, though the Moto's might be a hair better. The M8 has an SD card slot, the Moto does not. The Moto has software much closer to stock Android than the M8. I have no idea about rooting either, you'll have to look that up yourself.

Thanks for the info! I'll probably grab a Moto X.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
New job means I'm outgrowing my nerd plan. I'm on GVoice but will port my number (it gets 0 junk calls to bug me). I want to keep my Nexus 5 (so no verizon, and gently caress sprint) and go as cheap as possible for unlim voice/SMS and at least 2.5-3GB of data.
Suggestions?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

New job means I'm outgrowing my nerd plan. I'm on GVoice but will port my number (it gets 0 junk calls to bug me). I want to keep my Nexus 5 (so no verizon, and gently caress sprint) and go as cheap as possible for unlim voice/SMS and at least 2.5-3GB of data.
Suggestions?
Cricket for $50 before taxes/fees? I mean, you're leaving T-Mobile and don't want Verizon or Sprint so AT&T is only one left.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Cricket for $50 before taxes/fees? I mean, you're leaving T-Mobile and don't want Verizon or Sprint so AT&T is only one left.
I'm OK with staying with T-Mo if thats the cheapest option, I just need more than 100 minutes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I'm OK with staying with T-Mo if thats the cheapest option, I just need more than 100 minutes.
How much are paying in overage minutes? T-Mo's got an individual plan for $60/m for 3GB (obviously unlimited talk and text). Seems like you could eat more than a few overage minutes before the $60 plan is a better deal than the $30 nerd plan.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

LastInLine posted:

How much are paying in overage minutes? T-Mo's got an individual plan for $60/m for 3GB (obviously unlimited talk and text). Seems like you could eat more than a few overage minutes before the $60 plan is a better deal than the $30 nerd plan.
Good point. None as of yet, but I know I'm going to be on my phone a lot more than I am today once I start at the new job. Setting up interviews and follow up calls and the like I'm at 5 minutes left 10 days into my month.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
So I've been with Straight Talk and have been paying 3 months at a time to save like $5/month... this batch is up at the end of December but I need a new phone asap, and I'm currently on a gnex so that means going from micro sim to nano sim. What's my best bet for using the rest of my service before switching to MetroPCS or whatever, should I just trim down my existing sim card or can I get a new sim card easily enough for cheap/free? I also can't remember if those multi-month payments are forcibly linked to a certain sim card or anything obnoxious like that.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
My wife and I have finally decided to get on the smartphone bandwagon. We currently both have dumb flip phones. We had a two year contract with Verizon which has expired, so this is a window for us to make changes if that's what we decide to do. I will preface this by saying I don't know much about smartphones so my requirements may be things that exist on every phone.

• Country/Provider: USA, Verizon

• Current contract status: Month to Month

• Budget (phone/plan): Preferably somewhere around what we pay now, which is about $100 for both of us.

• Features I know I want: Camera, video camera, ability to post pictures directly to social media, navigation, MP3 player, maybe plays videos?

I've been looking at the Verizon prepaid plan. Verizon because tests show that they are the best provider in my area for quality, speed, etc. The plan I am looking at is $45 per device, 1 GB data per month, unlimited talk/text. So that would be $90 for the two of us. Their contract plan is $130 for up to ten devices and 10 GB of data. We only need the two devices and can live with less data so I feel the prepaid option is best, but I'm open to opinions from those who know more thanI. I have not had a data plan before but I think 1 GB will do us because we spend most of our time at places with wireless networks (home or work) that we can put our phones on.

So it looks like the phones we would be restricted to are those specifically offered on the Verizon site, linked above. Am I generally better off buying elsewhere but selecting the model on the site, or just ordering through them? I will probably be going with one of there lower end phones (like less than $100 per phone). Are any of the phones listed their specifically thought to be good? I'm interested in the iPhone 4 because I assume I can sync my iTunes like I can with my iPod. Here are the phones listed on the site also in our price range.

Moto G by Motorola
Luge by Motorola
LG Transpyre in Black
LG Optimus Exceed 2
Apple iPhone 4 - 16 GB
Nokia Lumia 928
Samsung Galaxy Legend
LG Optimus Zone 2

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grifter posted:

My wife and I have finally decided to get on the smartphone bandwagon. We currently both have dumb flip phones. We had a two year contract with Verizon which has expired, so this is a window for us to make changes if that's what we decide to do. I will preface this by saying I don't know much about smartphones so my requirements may be things that exist on every phone.

• Country/Provider: USA, Verizon

• Current contract status: Month to Month

• Budget (phone/plan): Preferably somewhere around what we pay now, which is about $100 for both of us.

• Features I know I want: Camera, video camera, ability to post pictures directly to social media, navigation, MP3 player, maybe plays videos?

I've been looking at the Verizon prepaid plan. Verizon because tests show that they are the best provider in my area for quality, speed, etc. The plan I am looking at is $45 per device, 1 GB data per month, unlimited talk/text. So that would be $90 for the two of us. Their contract plan is $130 for up to ten devices and 10 GB of data. We only need the two devices and can live with less data so I feel the prepaid option is best, but I'm open to opinions from those who know more thanI. I have not had a data plan before but I think 1 GB will do us because we spend most of our time at places with wireless networks (home or work) that we can put our phones on.

So it looks like the phones we would be restricted to are those specifically offered on the Verizon site, linked above. Am I generally better off buying elsewhere but selecting the model on the site, or just ordering through them? I will probably be going with one of there lower end phones (like less than $100 per phone). Are any of the phones listed their specifically thought to be good? I'm interested in the iPhone 4 because I assume I can sync my iTunes like I can with my iPod. Here are the phones listed on the site also in our price range.

Moto G by Motorola
Luge by Motorola
LG Transpyre in Black
LG Optimus Exceed 2
Apple iPhone 4 - 16 GB
Nokia Lumia 928
Samsung Galaxy Legend
LG Optimus Zone 2
The Moto G doesn't make use of Verizon's LTE network and neither does the iPhone 4. Get an iPhone that does.

Every single one of those Android phones except the Moto G is terrible and the Moto G won't work on LTE. I wouldn't consider any of them to be viable options.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

You can also expand your options if you're willing to consider moving from Verizon.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

LastInLine posted:

The Moto G doesn't make use of Verizon's LTE network and neither does the iPhone 4. Get an iPhone that does.

Every single one of those Android phones except the Moto G is terrible and the Moto G won't work on LTE. I wouldn't consider any of them to be viable options.
I'm not that concerned about internet speeds. It's actually kind of a plus for me that it's slow. I spend too much time in front of a computer normally anyway, so if I'm out I could use a disincentive to make me stop and talk to people instead. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the iphone 4.

anakha posted:

You can also expand your options if you're willing to consider moving from Verizon.
Call quality is important to me, so I'd rather not switch. For my area verizon is best. When I started looking into this I was considering smaller companies that lease time on the big networks but couldn't find on the verizon network that also had good rates, so I ended up back with Verizon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grifter posted:

I'm not that concerned about internet speeds. It's actually kind of a plus for me that it's slow. I spend too much time in front of a computer normally anyway, so if I'm out I could use a disincentive to make me stop and talk to people instead. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the iphone 4.
You'll be a lot more concerned as Verizon continues to move toward VoLTE and starts dismantling its CDMA data network starting next year. Verizon without LTE is useless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grifter posted:

If you're absolutely sure you're okay without LTE (and I agree it's a really bad idea on Verizon), you should *really* get the Moto G over an iPhone 4. There's a discussion on it specifically a page or two back from someone with similar needs to yours and why it's a bad idea.

EDIT: If you're willing to go used, you can get a good condition Moto X for under $200.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 25, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Grifter posted:

That's really bad reasoning. Just stick with a dumb phone then.

Do not get a 4.5 year old phone, that is incredibly dumb. My impression is Verizon prepaid usually isn't a great option, but others are probably more knowledgeable about that. If you're on a plan without a subsidy, as others have said a Moto G or Moto X, either 2013 or 2014, will be good options. If it supports Verizon's LTE bands, a 2013 Moto G LTE would be a good bet for cheap and decent, or a 2013 Moto X for just a little more. No off contract phone that is cheaper than a Moto G will be worth the tradeoff of a slightly cheaper price.

If you are buying on subsidy, spend the $100-200 to get a current flagship, like an iPhone 6. You're new to smart phones, you want one that is top of the line so it is as nice and pleasant to use as possible. The notion that people new to smart phones should get a cheap bad one is completely backwards.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

That's really bad reasoning. Just stick with a dumb phone then.

Do not get a 4.5 year old phone, that is incredibly dumb. My impression is Verizon prepaid usually isn't a great option, but others are probably more knowledgeable about that. If you're on a plan without a subsidy, as others have said a Moto G or Moto X, either 2013 or 2014, will be good options. If it supports Verizon's LTE bands, a 2013 Moto G LTE would be a good bet for cheap and decent, or a 2013 Moto X for just a little more. No off contract phone that is cheaper than a Moto G will be worth the tradeoff of a slightly cheaper price.

If you are buying on subsidy, spend the $100-200 to get a current flagship, like an iPhone 6. You're new to smart phones, you want one that is top of the line so it is as nice and pleasant to use as possible. The notion that people new to smart phones should get a cheap bad one is completely backwards.
I'm now considering this, I can't tell if it's 2013 or 2014.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That's the 2013 version, which is still decent value nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Grifter posted:

I'm now considering this, I can't tell if it's 2013 or 2014.
If you're going to get an Android that's probably the one I'd recommend.