Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can get a Nexus 6 on Verizon, actually. Either that or a Droid Turbo are your best options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

You can get a Nexus 6 on Verizon, actually. Either that or a Droid Turbo are your best options.

The Nexus 6 seems like it's kinda too big, so Droid Turbo it is I guess. Thanks!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I too, need to upgrade my phone using a Verizon plan. Which phones tend to be the most durable in terms of getting dropped or have good protective cases available for them (I am tremendously clumsy when it comes to phones)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anything remotely popular will have a Lifeproof and/or Otterbox available. I'd recommend checking out their websites and going from there.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Unless you absolutely have to buy from Amazon, I'd recommend a 2014 Moto X. You can buy direct from Motorola. I'm not 100% sure it will have wifi calling and I have no idea how easy it is to work on, but other than that, I think it hits all your desires.

It's funny you mentioned this because a friend had mentioned it to me a bit ago and I couldn't find it on Amazon or in any stores (just the 1st gen). I poked around a bit more and made one on Motorola's website for funsies, then checked the price: they have a $100 off orders of $500 or more deal right now, so I can get the 32gb version for $450. I ended up ordering one today. Thanks for the advice!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually, you mentioned waterproof, so you might want to look at a rugby. They're $300 at AT&T (too much) but a Google search brings them up on eBay for $80. They aren't ground breaking, they aren't even quite old school Nextel level rugged, but they are def waterproof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351251271830?lpid=82

What a nostalgic feeling :monocle:

I think I had one in the past because it looks extremely familiar to me but probably lost in the drawer of old tech and cables. I remember when cell phone had games which were included and not demos.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Hello, I'm looking to replace my Galaxy Note (1) which has been sluggish and struggling with updating/installing apps thanks to its "2GB internal storage" issue.

Country/Provider: Australia/Amaysim
Current contract status: prepaid + 1GB data - don't call/text much.
Budget (phone/plan): $300, but flexible if there's anything amazing that will last a couple years, specs/update-wise.

Features I know I want (in order of importance):
- enough storage/RAM/processing to be able to use a bunch of social media apps (facebook, pinterest, instagram, twitter) and utility/productivity apps (evernote, strava), without choking on low storage/becoming unresponsive due to limited space/RAM. This is the main gripe I have about my Note and the main reason I'm upgrading.
- Android
- battery life
- decent display (got spoiled with the Note's Amoled)
- don't care about size or camera (have great pocket camera)

I've been considering the Moto G, but was wondering if there was anything just a smidge better with a slightly higher budget?

plasmoduck fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 22, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I've had Republic Wireless for approximately 4 months now. I love that it's $30 a month with unlimited 3g, talk & text with WiFi calling and texting enabled. The biggest cons are that you can not bring your own device, I don't think it's possible to activate old phones and Emoji's don't work. The network runs off Sprint.

I'll gladly answer and further questions about this service!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm moving to San Francisco and need a phone and a plan. I'll be going to Europe often enough that I need a something unlocked that I can put a local SIM into to have data.

Currently I have a Nexus 5 and I like it, and I've had android ever since the iPhone 4 came out (usually Cyanogenmod), but I can't find unlocked Nexus 6 in stock on the Play store. I'm looking at getting a T-Mobile unlocked iPhone 6, but I'm not sure how the integration with Google mail/calendar/contacts/drive will work.

Ideally I want something that is pay-as-you-go that I can pay for the phone up-front since I don't have credit in the US yet and I don't like the idea of carrier subsidies. Mostly I just end up using data, some texting (mostly whatsapp/google hangouts/skype though) and not very much actual talking on the phone. I do need to be able to call/text internationally in a pinch though.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

luminalflux posted:

I'm moving to San Francisco and need a phone and a plan. I'll be going to Europe often enough that I need a something unlocked that I can put a local SIM into to have data.

Currently I have a Nexus 5 and I like it, and I've had android ever since the iPhone 4 came out (usually Cyanogenmod), but I can't find unlocked Nexus 6 in stock on the Play store. I'm looking at getting a T-Mobile unlocked iPhone 6, but I'm not sure how the integration with Google mail/calendar/contacts/drive will work.

Ideally I want something that is pay-as-you-go that I can pay for the phone up-front since I don't have credit in the US yet and I don't like the idea of carrier subsidies. Mostly I just end up using data, some texting (mostly whatsapp/google hangouts/skype though) and not very much actual talking on the phone. I do need to be able to call/text internationally in a pinch though.

You could look into Republic Wireless that I mentioned above. $30 a month (after tax) no credit needed either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midorka posted:

You could look into Republic Wireless that I mentioned above. $30 a month (after tax) no credit needed either.
He wants something he can use in Europe as well as the US. I wouldn't expect anything on a Sprint MVNO to work out of the box.

luminalflux posted:

By all reports, T-Mobile works well in the Bay Area. The $30 "nerd" plan might work for you, depending on how many minutes you need. As for your questions regarding Google services on an iPhone, calendar and contacts work perfectly, Gmail won't get push unless you use the Gmail app, and Drive has an app as do Docs and Sheets, though the level of integration won't be as good as it is on Android, though you can probably get a lot of it to work on some level.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

He wants something he can use in Europe as well as the US. I wouldn't expect anything on a Sprint MVNO to work out of the box.

Good call, I missed that.

Zila
Jun 21, 2013
Currently AT&T grandfathered Unlimited plan - $90/month and ends next year
Southern California and don't travel much
I am a heavy phone user when I'm out of my house and use it for all of my web surfing, texting, email, and gaming with a little videos and music streaming here and there.

AT&T throttles me after 5gb so I was considering switching the Tmobile and with the new data stash drop down to a 3 gb plan for $60 a month. I also considered the nerd plan but I average about 300 mins of talk time a month. I will be saving $30 a month which can go towards the phone.

I have been using and iphone 5 and I wanted to wait until next year to upgrade to get the new 810 snapdragon 64bit processors and LPDDR4 ram but my phone was stolen on Saturday and I don't have a back up phone. Should I get an older phone and wait to make a big upgrade next year or get one now and wait a year or two?

The iphone is nice but I kept getting annoyed by the small screen size, so I don't think an iphone 6 would be good. I almost always use my phone 2 handed landscape so I am thinking that maybe the 5.0-5.5 range would be nice as they seemed reasonably sized. I went into the store and looked at a 6+ which seemed nice but the nexus 6 seemed like the same footprint with bigger size, and is$200 cheaper or the G3 which had a smaller footprint but the same 5.5 screen size.

Functionally is touchID or wireless charging really a big deal? They both sound good but is one better then the other if you had a choice?

I don't have a mac or really use itunes but I'm just familiar with iphones since I've used them for years. Anyone have any experience of having recently switched between the two?

I guess it's the problem of so many choices which one do I go with.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have an unlocked iPhone 4 that I want to make my primary phone. I bought a Simple Mobile BYOP card, but after looking at the plans, I think I can do better. I never use the phone to talk, maybe 30-60 minutes a month. Maybe 1-200 texts a month. I'll read news or the forums, but probably never break a gig a month in usage. The plans scale up from $25 a month for unlimited everything, with the extra tiers going to more 4g data. Does this mean their 3g network is free, or that they don't have one? My phone is only 3g anyway, and my goal is to spend as little money as possible. Any other opinions about what to do with the phone? I'm not even sure of Simple Mobile's network, since I'm in a forest 14 miles from my city's center.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Simple Mobile is a T-Mobile MVNO, so it doesn't matter how much 3G data they offer your plan since you'll be stuck on 2G data since that's all your phone supports. Looking at the $25 plan, I don't think it offers any data at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

What's the best camera option for a cheap smartphone?

My wife is currently on an iphone 4 and it's pretty rubbish; android or ios is fine. She isn't fussed about too much else, she only uses it to text and call. Fitness monitoring stuff would be a bonus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It really helps if you define "cheap."

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sebmojo posted:

What's the best camera option for a cheap smartphone?

My wife is currently on an iphone 4 and it's pretty rubbish; android or ios is fine. She isn't fussed about too much else, she only uses it to text and call. Fitness monitoring stuff would be a bonus.

Used Nexus 5 would be a good bet. Used LG G2 will also have a great camera and better battery, but pretty bad software. Galaxy S4 also, but I'd prefer either of the first two.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a grandfathered AT&T Unlimited plan. With 1,000 texts and discounts, it works out to be about $65/mo. Needless to say I'm happy with my plan and don't want to do anything to jeopardize it. Two things I'd like to change, though:

First, I would like to get an iPhone for a family member. Nothing fancy, probably a 5C or whatever is "free" on contract. Carrier and plan features do not matter. Keeping the existing number is not an issue. Pre- vs. post-paid is not an issue. For simplicity, I'd like to "add a line" to my existing plan, but I'm fine with opening a new account. I know that's kind of vague, but I haven't looked at phone contracts since the dawn of the iPhone, so I'd like to know what my options are.

Second, I'd like to add LTE tethering. I want it to work like the iPad, where I can turn it on when I need it, and turn it off when I don't. Again ideally if I could add this to my existing plan, that would be ideal. But, from what I can tell, I either need a new plan or I need to pay a fixed monthly fee. Since this would primarily be for traveling, could I get one of those little "MiFi" devices? LTE (or equivalent) speed is important.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Kobayashi posted:

I have a grandfathered AT&T Unlimited plan. With 1,000 texts and discounts, it works out to be about $65/mo. Needless to say I'm happy with my plan and don't want to do anything to jeopardize it. Two things I'd like to change, though:

First, I would like to get an iPhone for a family member. Nothing fancy, probably a 5C or whatever is "free" on contract. Carrier and plan features do not matter. Keeping the existing number is not an issue. Pre- vs. post-paid is not an issue. For simplicity, I'd like to "add a line" to my existing plan, but I'm fine with opening a new account. I know that's kind of vague, but I haven't looked at phone contracts since the dawn of the iPhone, so I'd like to know what my options are.

Second, I'd like to add LTE tethering. I want it to work like the iPad, where I can turn it on when I need it, and turn it off when I don't. Again ideally if I could add this to my existing plan, that would be ideal. But, from what I can tell, I either need a new plan or I need to pay a fixed monthly fee. Since this would primarily be for traveling, could I get one of those little "MiFi" devices? LTE (or equivalent) speed is important.

You're gonna be in a predicament with tethering. ATT just won't allow it with your plan, and paying $50 from AT&T for a separate MiFi isn't a great deal either.

An iPhone 5C on a separate mobile share plan with your account is $50 a month for call/text/ 1Gb of data, $18.35 for the 5C until it's paid off. So in this scenario $65 for your plan, $50 for 2nd line, $18 for the 5C. So $133.

A 10GB shared plan is $130 for two lines, includes tethering and hen $18.35 for that 5C. So that's 130 + $18.35 = $150ish, and then subtract whatever work discount you are getting. If you are adding a line, that will be cheaper than your unlimited plan.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
Country/Provider: USA, T-Mobile

Current contract status: None. Prepaid plan (100 mins/unlimited text & data)

Budget (phone/plan): Ideally $100. Will consider upping to $150 if super good deal.

Features I know I want: Good battery life, 4G. MicroSIM would be nice, for the convenience.

Really, I'm not too picky. I've been rocking a Nexus 5 for just over a year and it's recently been coming down with an issue (long-story short: It'll turn off randomly when not charging). I don't use my phone a ton these days anyways. It's mostly texting, Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, email, web browsing. I also listen to podcasts, but I can do that on my mp3 player. I don't do much for mobile games anymore. Or when I do, it's on my iPad.

I've been giving people my Google Voice number for a few years, so I'm tied up into the Google web. I'm willing to bear with it and jump to Windows Phone if that gives me the best bang for my buck, though. I really am shooting for under $100, ideally. I know cheap phones aren't nearly as unbearable as they used to be.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PrivateEyeball posted:

Country/Provider: USA, T-Mobile

Current contract status: None. Prepaid plan (100 mins/unlimited text & data)

Budget (phone/plan): Ideally $100. Will consider upping to $150 if super good deal.

Features I know I want: Good battery life, 4G. MicroSIM would be nice, for the convenience.

Really, I'm not too picky. I've been rocking a Nexus 5 for just over a year and it's recently been coming down with an issue (long-story short: It'll turn off randomly when not charging). I don't use my phone a ton these days anyways. It's mostly texting, Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, email, web browsing. I also listen to podcasts, but I can do that on my mp3 player. I don't do much for mobile games anymore. Or when I do, it's on my iPad.

I've been giving people my Google Voice number for a few years, so I'm tied up into the Google web. I'm willing to bear with it and jump to Windows Phone if that gives me the best bang for my buck, though. I really am shooting for under $100, ideally. I know cheap phones aren't nearly as unbearable as they used to be.
Have you called Google and asked them if they'd replace your Nexus 5? Assuming you bought it from the Play Store I would think they would.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

luminalflux posted:

iOS natively supports Gmail over IMAP (no push and awkward labels), calendar, and contacts. There are google-provided apps for gmail/inbox, drive, hangouts, docs/sheets/etc.

I've heard mixed things about Tmo in SF. AFAIK it's mostly pretty good except inside buildings or if you leave the major urban areas.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Kind of an odd request, but I am due for a new phone and will be on a road trip for the better part of next year, and was hoping for some advice on which phone to get with that in mind. I currently have an iPhone 4s on an ATT family plan, and have never not had an iOS device. That being said, I'm kind of jaded about iOS/iPhone 6 and toying with the idea of switching to Droid - probably a Moto X or Galaxy S5.

For someone who has always had an iPhone, how hard is the switch to Android? Also, is the better camera and battery life of, say, an S5 noticeably better than the iPhone 6? How about durability? Which would you rather have on a month long camping trip?

Lastly, how's gaming on the Droid as compared to iOS (I understand that IAP garbage pervades all mobile platforms but still really enjoy the number of quality games on my iPhone and play games there or on my iPad more than my Xbox)?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Migrating is fairly easy unless you only have your contacts synced with iCloud (or not synced with anything), and I'm pretty sure there's tools for that, so it shouldn't be a big deal other than getting familiar with Android.

The iPhone 6 camera is as good or better than the S5 camera. They're certainly two of the best phone cameras currently available. Same with battery life. Anandtech has it being better in most of their tests. You can swap batteries in the Galaxy, though. Neither is going to be notably durable, though the plastic of the Galaxy does tend to let it take a bit more of a beating than the metal of the iPhone.

Android gaming is generally six months behind iOS, but you'd have to be more specific about what you're looking for. It's mostly the same timer "game" garbage as iOS.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Kind of an odd request, but I am due for a new phone and will be on a road trip for the better part of next year, and was hoping for some advice on which phone to get with that in mind. I currently have an iPhone 4s on an ATT family plan, and have never not had an iOS device. That being said, I'm kind of jaded about iOS/iPhone 6 and toying with the idea of switching to Droid - probably a Moto X or Galaxy S5.

For someone who has always had an iPhone, how hard is the switch to Android? Also, is the better camera and battery life of, say, an S5 noticeably better than the iPhone 6? How about durability? Which would you rather have on a month long camping trip?

Lastly, how's gaming on the Droid as compared to iOS (I understand that IAP garbage pervades all mobile platforms but still really enjoy the number of quality games on my iPhone and play games there or on my iPad more than my Xbox)?

People switching from one phone platform to other in my experience tend to either love it or hate it. so 50% chance you will hate android, so know your return policy. Gaming on iOS is one area where Apple is just always ahead, games come out first for iPhone, there are more, I think they're better maintained and updated.

Camera, battery life and durability between S5 and the iPhone 6 is equal except the S5 is water proof.

I use an iPhone 6 for personal, HTC M8 for my work phone. Personally, I find current android phones to be great for multi tasking, they finally have good a battery life, but I still always tend to go back to iPhone. More consistent experience between apps.

Endless Mike posted:

Migrating is fairly easy unless you only have your contacts synced with iCloud (or not synced with anything), and I'm pretty sure there's tools for that, so it shouldn't be a big deal other than getting familiar with Android.

Both google and Apple allow exporting as CSV files, so moving info from one cloud to another is easy if you have a computer.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks a lot guys, I was always under the impression that Droid offered superior battery life, so it's good to know that's a misconception. Gaming then becomes a tiebreaker for me so I think I'll stick with the iPhone!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

Thanks a lot guys, I was always under the impression that Droid offered superior battery life, so it's good to know that's a misconception. Gaming then becomes a tiebreaker for me so I think I'll stick with the iPhone!
One misconception that you still seem to have is that Android is monolithic like iOS. It is not, and the experience you get with one OEM can differ vastly with another OEM or even between devices from the same manufacturer.

So there are devices with enormous batteries that last forever and those with tiny batteries that last eight hours. You just can't make generalized statements about Android devices in that way.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

^^^That's a good point, thanks a lot for clarifying. That's part of what makes the jump to Android OS so daunting in the first place. In any case, the S5 was the main phone that I was considering and I now understand that it does not provide significantly better battery performance so I'll probably stick with what's been working for me.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Country/Provider: New England

Current contract status: 4 months with a flip phone on Verizon

Budget (phone/plan): Willing to spend some money if it will lower monthly cost.

Features I know I want: Phone that can last a few years if not abused. Longer battery life would be good. Probably won't be watching much media other than the occasional youtube video.

I'm on contract with Verizon until April, and I have a flip phone. For a job I am starting soon it would greatly benefit me to have a smartphone. No real commitment to Verizon if I can get a cheaper plan elsewhere. I've used an iPhone, but probably don't want one. Not sure how much data I'd end up using, but probably not a ton. I text quite a bit, but not so heavy on the talking. It looks like I can get a discount at AT&T with my .edu email, not sure about the others. I've had the same plan for about a decade, so I really don't know what company is willing to offer what.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Mikey Purp posted:

In all honesty I haven't seen a better camera in a phone outside of the 6. I wouldn't have a point and shoot if I had a 6.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Any word on Sony Xperia X3's? Compact or normal model?

Asking because i could get a discount on those

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Illegal Username posted:

Any word on Sony Xperia X3's? Compact or normal model?

Asking because i could get a discount on those
If you mean Z3, the Android thread seems to like them.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Help, I don't know what's good anymore.

Country/Provider: US/Sprint

Current contract status: Renewed 2-year contract a few months ago to get my Samsung S5 at a discounted rate...Wife wants the new Iphone 6 (currently has older iphone)...

Budget: Would like to pay less than we're currently paying: ~160$/month for the Everything Data Family Plan 1500 (includes protection plan for my S5)

Usage: averaging ~3 to 4 GB data/month; currently have unlimited text/calls so not sure of that usage

Features/wants & deepest desires: Lower bill if possible (new carrier...?); Wife wants that Iphone... Not sure if we switched carriers if this S5 could still be used...

Coverage: We live in Austin; coverage for me (LTE/WCDMA) has been pretty good with the S5. I've seen everyone say Sprint sucks and everything is better (work mate says the same), but besides from sometimes spotty coverage at the house it seems to work OK...

I had planned on just getting her the Iphone with the 2-year renewal, but now I'm not sure what to do...

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Looking to upgrade from my old faithful Nexus 4. It's getting old, the battery is a bit meh, and I need 4G.

Budget is $400ish (AUD) for phone outright. Can go a bit higher if necessary.

The main things i'm looking for above my N4 are:
- 5 inch screen (or close to)
- Better battery life
- Better camera

I've naturally gravitated towards the Nexus 5, but I frequently read that the battery life is pretty poor. The LG G2 appears to be identical to the N5 except for a bigger screen (for the same size phone) and a much better battery life. However, the G2 is already more than a year old. I've looked at the G3 too - it is a bit too big for my liking, but it will last longer before requiring an upgrade with the the extra ram and processing power.

Are there any other phones i'm missing? Thoughts on the N5 vs G2? What about the size of the G3? I use my phone one handed most of the time, hence having an issue with the size of the G3. It's also pricier.

I'm pretty sold on the G2 but i'm happy to be talked into something else!

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
I have the unlocked 2014 moto x. In Canada (Montreal), Fido is pretty much the best for bring-your-own-phone plans with talk, text, data, etc. right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

logis posted:

Help, I don't know what's good anymore.

Country/Provider: US/Sprint

Current contract status: Renewed 2-year contract a few months ago to get my Samsung S5 at a discounted rate...Wife wants the new Iphone 6 (currently has older iphone)...

Budget: Would like to pay less than we're currently paying: ~160$/month for the Everything Data Family Plan 1500 (includes protection plan for my S5)

Usage: averaging ~3 to 4 GB data/month; currently have unlimited text/calls so not sure of that usage

Features/wants & deepest desires: Lower bill if possible (new carrier...?); Wife wants that Iphone... Not sure if we switched carriers if this S5 could still be used...

Coverage: We live in Austin; coverage for me (LTE/WCDMA) has been pretty good with the S5. I've seen everyone say Sprint sucks and everything is better (work mate says the same), but besides from sometimes spotty coverage at the house it seems to work OK...

I had planned on just getting her the Iphone with the 2-year renewal, but now I'm not sure what to do...

Austin was an early Sprint LTE rollout so it actually should get decent sprint Coverage.

That being said, check Tmobile coverage for Austin. the biggest impairment you have towards lowering your bill is the contract you just signed. See what TMobile coverage is (I would think equal), and they can buy out that contract. The two line family plan right now is $100 for unlimited call/text/data, you do have to buy the phones outright on installment plans, but long term you'll come out ahead.

You will have to get yourself a new phone in this scenario, sprints S5 only works on sprint. That being said, Tmobile takes any phone as a trade in for the ETF buyout, so trade in some junker phone, sell S5 on eBay for $300ish (if more great), buy two phones and you'll be fine. If you aren't married to the S5 the Moto X is a solid phone and a bit cheaper.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, wife hosed up her phone. She likes her Lumia 928 and the windows. What are the good windows phones right now?

No contract, on Verizon.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

My current 2011 phone's screen is delaminating and is way too small to actually look at anything on line with. I was trying to hold out until graduation, but now the touch screen is failing.

Current info
Provider: Boost Mobile
Plan: Unlimited talk/text and 2Gb data.
Cost: 35 $/mo
Phone: Samsung SPH-M820 Galaxy Prevail
Usage: I only talk a little. Several hundred texts a month. Only a little data usage, but that will increase with a larger screen and a faster processor.

What I'm looking for
Provider: Don't care. I live in southern VA at the moment, but I'm trying to move across the country in 5-6 months.
Plan: Unlimited talk/text with at least 2Gb data, but 3+ would be preferred. Prepaid, contract w/ phone, or contract w/o phone doesn't really matter to me. I don't really change my phones or plans very often.
Cost: I'd like to keep with 35 $/mo for now. If I get hired right away I can upgrade, but right now money is pretty tight.
Phone: minimum 4+ inch screen.

I have lots of issues with Boost loading my phone up with crap every update meaning I'm constantly running a low storage warning. I'd like a phone that stores program information on the SD card as opposed to the phones hard drive , but apparent you normally have to jailbreak your phone for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, wife hosed up her phone. She likes her Lumia 928 and the windows. What are the good windows phones right now?

No contract, on Verizon.
Your wife had the second best WP on Verizon.

HTC One M8 Windows is the next step up and a pretty good (Windows) phone. It is massive stepdown in the camera area, however.