Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'll toss my issue in. I'm looking for something comparable to the functionality of an iPhone that I can get without a contract, and maybe staying on Verizon (I'm in the DC area and the coverage is best here). I could care less about MP3 playback (happy with my iPod), do some text messaging, but mainly I want web access without breaking the bank and cool apps (Urbanspoon caught my attention, although I could be fine just accessing their site). Right now I have a Moto RAZR and a contract that expires in March.

The iPhone is really cool to use for net, GoogleMaps, apps, when I use my friend's but I seriously question whether entering a two year contract and the high non-contract price tag is worth it.

You can get a not quite as good G1 unlocked for T-Mo for like $400? That's all I can think of. The browser on the G1 is second best only to the iPhone and the monthly plans are cheaper. Also, if you commit to a 2 yr w/ the carrier, it's only 180.

e: Staying on VZw, i've got nothin'. That carrier has some pretty lovely phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

WeaselWeaz posted:

My problem with T-Mobile is I had horrible coverage and customer service from them two years ago, which led to me switching to Verizon.

What about the Blackberry Storm? I'd be fine sticking with Verizon for another year or two contract, plus I should get some funds for the 2 Every New deal. Only downside appears to be that the monthly cost works out to $10 more than ATT/iPhone.

The general consensus is that the Storm is a very poor device:

Wired.com article: http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/12/the-votes-are-i.html

The carrier networks have all seen significant improvement over the past two years: It'd be worth asking around for how people are liking / not liking their current T-mo coverage around you. That is, if you can forgive the bad customer service experience that you had (they rate fairly satisfactory in recent surveys.)

I'm a huge fan of the iPhone 3G but realize that phone is not perfect for everyone's individual needs.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Matlock, BRB posted:

My dear old mum said she'd buy me a new phone for christmas since my current one is an old piece of poo poo. It'd be nice to know what phones I would prefer want so I could tell her, but I have no idea. I want a phone with like wireless network access and a nice browser/screen (the one I had before my current could run opera mini, that seemed nice)
I was looking at the S60 phones, some of them were too expensive, but the N78 seemed alright. Then I found out they were sluggish and slow, and I can not stand that in a phone. The iPhone seems to be fast, but I'm not really an Apple fan and it's too expensive here, 4000 NOK ≈ 580 USD for an "unlocked" version (so I can use it with my current operator and not the overpriced iphone monopoly operator).
Are there any other smartphones that I should check out?

What's the G1 priced like for carriers in your area on NOK moon money ?

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

voodoonoid posted:

I have a Blackjack that I have had for 2 years and it has started to breakdown on me.

Country/Provider: US/ AT&T

Current contract status: I have been with AT&T for almost 10 years and have never had a problem with them. $49.99 1500 anytime minutes (I caught them while they had a sale and was able to keep it when I bought the Blackjack.)

Budget:$200-$300. Plus I know I may be adding a data plan for the phone I am looking at.

Features I know I want: My current life has put me cross country from the rest of my family ( i am in NY while my family is in CA.) We text eachother like crazy which was why I liked the Blackjack because the keyboard worked perfectly. I was looking at either a Blackberry or jumping the shark and getting an iPhone since I saw the 8G was within my range. I do use my phone for internet access if my computer is not available, but I do not use my phone for music and such. I do however take a lot of pictures with my phone that I end up sending.

I guess what I am looking for is a phone that doesn't drop calls, has an easy to use keyboard, can take pictures and send them without ease. And internet access when I need it. Am I looking at either a Blackberry or iPhone or another phone all together?

I say you should read some online reviews and strongly consider the iPhone. It sounds like exactly what you're looking for and it's a loving great device.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Umph posted:

and for some reason I'm avoiding blackberries.

What up with this? Is it the extra monthly fee or? Just asking because they're drat solid all-around smartphones ('cept the Storm, but that's not what we're talking about). I find WinMo to be a gurgling abortion of an OS and would recommend pretty much any other smartphone OS instead.

The E71 gets pretty high marks in the TCS threads for balance of usability and overall cost. If that ends up being an option on AT&T, that'd be the way to go if you hate blackberry that much.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

RichterIX posted:

My family is upgrading their family plan, so we are looking at snagging some phones from AT&T while the upgrade discount applies.

I'm really partial to both regular QWERTY smartphone (like the Blackjack II and the Moto Q9h) and slider phones (as long as they're hiding a full QWERTY keyboard in there). I couldn't care less about the quality of the camera, and I won't be using it to listen to music or watch videos. That said, I would like microSD support because people send me a lot of stuff (I think all smartphones phones pretty much support microSD now anyway, but I thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of being specific).

I'm not super thrilled with touch screens, but I don't hate them so much that I couldn't be convinced.

Good internet support is a plus, but my funds are a little tight right now so I probably won't be adding normal smartphone browser support to my plan right away. Mostly I just need something reliable with a quick, responsive interface. My personal favorite right now is the Blackjack II, but I haven't gotten to use one at length, and they've been around so long that I feel like there might be something better out there by now.

Edit: Is the Palm Centro worth a drat? I know I said I wasn't thrilled about touch screens, but other than that it seems like a really good compromise between stuff I want vs. stuff I'll never use.

The Centro has phenomenal review and user satisfaction ratings overall compared to the other phones you had mentioned. I think it'd be worth your while to give it a hands-on test drive and see how it suits you.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

thebushcommander posted:

I wanted to wait for the N97, but its not coming until at least May/June. The iPhone seems like the logical choice in this situation, but it pisses me off so much that the UI is so locked down. Simply changing the colors of certain things could make it so much better. Being forced to Jailbreak and install Winterboard and kill the speed of the phone just to make a few changes is annoying. The is a screenshot of default status bar I think vs black hacked one and its like 100x better looking and its such a simple change.

I really hope apple opens up simple customizations in the future firmwares.

I was going to get the X1, but best buy still doesn't have them in stock even though they said they would be in-store for purchase on Nov. 28th. I don't really like Windows Mobile, but ability to customize is pretty big.

If the lack of Open-ness about the iPhone is holding you back, have you considered the G1 on T-Mo?

It's my 2nd favorite phone I've used (other than the fruitphone) and has a lot of customization available.

Web browsing is also pretty great via the touchscreen and trackball (I actually prefer the feel and control of it to any of the BB trackball controls)

The keyboard is, admittedly, one step back from what you'd get from the iPhone or Bold.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

The Rumor sucks hard,

What are you basing this upon? I've recommended this phone to several casual phone users on Sprint who just want QWERTY txt and they've been really satisfied with it.

The user reviews i've read online have also been strongly positive for a simple txting dumbphone.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

adorecm posted:

Country/Provider: Los Angeles, CA

Current contract status: AT&T Business; 2yr expired

Budget (phone/plan): Cheap As Possible

Features I know I want:
I want a phone+plan that will allow me to do a FEW things: call people, check my email (gmail+webmail), reading the news, and occasional texting. That's it. Period.

I'm really learning towards a BlackBerry because I'm not too hot on the iPhone's text interface (my fingers are just huge or something, and it's amazing hard text screen with precision). But with a BlackBerry I don't want enterprise email service and additional features, I just need the ability to access my gmail account via a web interface or to use gmail's free imap service.

For cheap as possible, you should really look at a lot of other smartphones that can be activated on AT&T. Both the iPhone and a BB require a $30/mo PDA data plan. Others allow for the cheaper MediaNET data plan.

That being said--you might reconsider the iPhone keyboard thing (practice on a friend's iphone/ ipod touch?) as my old man has fat-as-poo poo sausage fingers, and prefers the fruitphone's keyboard to the blackberry he carried for years. It takes about a week to get used to it.

It does take some time to be familiar with and the blah blah blah re: trusting the autocorrect is no joke: You can type very quickly on the fruitphone, even with hammy mitts.

Hope this helps.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I'm looking into getting a refurb AT+T Tilt when I renew my contract, but I'm not planning on having a data plan. How much of the phone's features are useful without the data plan? It seems like stuff like Wi-Fi would work without it, but how much of the other features would be blocked?

I don't think they "block" any of the features--they'll just merrily charge you ala-carte per Kb data rates when you accidentally use something that uses network data.

And the per-Kb data tends to be really loving expensive if you don't know you're using it.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

Here's a utility that will actually disable the non-wifi data sources so you don't accidentally use them. The rape-charge for not having a data plan is not worth risking it.

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-software/246171/new-free-utility-nodata/

Nice! Thanks for the info.

Just curious of you or Kalibar's opinion: is the Tilt still "worth it" at that price point? It seems like dated gear and that there are a lot of better WinMo alternatives for not too much more.

Steinbeck fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 21, 2008

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I didn't really mean "block" in terms of "being charged up the rear end for what I accidentally use", more in terms of, if I never use the 3G features/have them put a block on it/use that NoData program, how much of the phone's features am I really missing? It seems like just mobile browsing/email when there's no wi-fi available, their video service thing, and the GPS unless I buy separate software. It's hard to get a clear answer for anyone at an AT+T store without them pushing for a more expensive phone or the data plan.

Only thing I can think of is that you'd be on EDGE over 3g, which is a lesser quality audio for voice calls.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

ChuckSteak posted:

* Country/Provider: USA / Verizon
* Current contract status: Contract ended. Verizon still gives me best service. Continuing on $45/mo including simple web on a RAZR. I have $50 off an upgraded Verizon phone.
* Budget (phone/plan): I almost never text. I mostly talk to Verizon users (free in-network) and use few minutes (definitely < 450 min). I want the web available for occasional email but I do not need super-fast unlimited data or expensive BlackBerry email. So, I shouldn’t need to spend much more than $40/mo total.
* Features I know I want:
--Email – Prefer GMail. I would not use it constantly, but I still want a better keypad than RAZR provides.
--MP3 player – I’ve never owned an MP3 player or an Apple product (so iTunes is a slight disadvantage). I think I’m due for a player by now.
--Good Camera – Optional, very low priority. I don’t have a camera though so it would be handy.
--Santa gave me a cool car GPS device, so I do not need GPS.
--Calendar – Prefer Google Calendar (or at least a sync with it). Also a to-do list or note taker. I need to keep my life organized when on the move.
--Video, Games, cool Apps, sizable screen, maybe a Web Browser – I think I should get an iPod Touch in addition to a Verizon phone. Is there a real alternative?

I’m thinking of buying two devices:
1) Verizon phone for talking and rare ($2/MB) email.
2) iPod Touch (or a competing device) for free/better email and web browsing at Wi-Fi spots, MP3s, video, games, apps, maybe calendar.

These phones have caught my eye:
1) LG Dare – Good keyboard, great camera, solid reviews. $80 purchase.
2) LG Voyager – Much better keyboard, mediocre camera. $50 purchase.
3) Pay-As-You-Go Verizon phone. Samsung SCH-u340, Samsung Suke, Samsung SCH-u430, LG VX5500, Verizon Wireless Blitz, Nokia 6205, MOTO W755. I talk infrequently on the phone (and mostly in-network), so this might be much less than $40/mo. I would not have a 2-year contract and could jump ship later. The phones don’t look great though.

Reviews say the Dare-Voyager comparison is mostly a matter of how much typing I plan to do.

Also, I would buy one device now and the other in 3-4 months. Which choice makes more sense:
1) Buy phone now. Later get a cheaper or newer media device.
2) Buy iPod Touch now. Keep my off-contract RAZR $45/mo. Later get a better new phone.

Thanks.

Your whole post sounds like the phone--in all ways--is your secondary concern.

Just get the ipod touch and enjoy it--it's a really fun mobile device. I just hope you don't enjoy it so much that you feel like getting an iPhone (cause it's an obvious retardation to end up owning an iPod touch and a fruitphone)

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

b0bx13 posted:

What's the consensus on the Samsung i760? I'm going to upgrade from my i730 to either that or the XV6800/Mogul. I know they're both a bit older now but I'm not on a contract and I'm fine with a used older phone.

Here's some opinions: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-sch-i760-verizon/4505-6452_7-32177475.html?tag=mncol;lst

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

enigma105 posted:

Getting a pair of new phones soon:

• Country/Provider: US/Alabama/Verizon
  • Current contract status: Contract ends in May, just hitting "new every two" $50 credit which will renew it as well. Am Sharing a contract with the wife, and we use the in-Network stuff to talk, but both our families are also on Verizon and thus the majority of the calls are free if we stick with Verizon. We don't text more than 15 messages a month.
  • Budget (phone/plan): $100-150 (we need to get 2 phones. We have had Samsung u740's which are nice.)
  • Features I know I want: Gmail/Google Calendar connectivity (can be via computer network/connection rather than Wireless) for me. QWERTY keyboard for both.
  • Features I know I don't need: Music (though everything will come with this), navigation.

I'm tempted to get a Blackberry (non Storm because of price/reviews I've seen here) and get her a nice phone with a flip out QWERTY keyboard.

You may want to check out the G1's. If T-Mobile has 3G coverage in your area, you could (possibly) be saving a shitload on your monthly plan vs what Verizon charges. Especially w/ their "Fave 5" free calling feature. The G1 is also a pretty kickass handset and not terribly pricey on-contract.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
e: n/m

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

jeeves posted:

I have been using one of these for 2 or more years, a SLVR kajigger:

I've simply loved how slim it was, as it keep it in my jeans from pocket. Anything bulkier would really annoy me. However, I want to upgrade to something that has a full keyboard, as my 20 somethings generation seems to do 95% of communication via text message.

I'm on ATT, but I have a long loathing of Apple products due to being in tech support for the last 8 years. It seems like the iPhone is the only thing as slim, but I really don't know if I want to buy into the whole iPhone thing.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? I'm already ATT, would rather not switch to Verizon, and TMobile apparently has poo poo service in my area (Santa Cruz, CA).

Budget is not too much of an issue, as long as it is not over like 300$.

The Samsung Eternity or the Blackberry Curve? Those are the only other super-slim QWERTY phones I know of on at&t that aren't the iphone.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

atomicbuddha posted:

Seconding the Blackberry Curve; they're only slightly thicker than the 3G, but a far better workhorse.

I'm not quite sure if a BB curve with 3G has been released on at&t yet... I like a curve as a general smartphone, but "workhorse" can be misinterpreted a lot of ways by what the user wants / needs most.

I didn't get the impression he wanted to edit excel spreadsheets on the go or anything--I just recommended it because it's a decent phone and it's really goddamn slim (which seemed to be major selling point for his request).

I have no experience at all w/ the pantech slate.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
Jeeves: In short, do look into purchasing any of the phones we've recommended except for the Moto Q: You can get it cheap because it is a shitpile of a phone (in a slim form factor!). Every variant. Yes, every last variant.

That Nokia E71 gets high marks-- maybe give that one a pocket test somewhere? And in light of Godzilla07's insight: only get a Curve if you REALLY don't care about speedy data connections (EDGE takes all the fun out of it.)

Steinbeck fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 12, 2009

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

Sprint EPRP and AT&T's plan for unlocked-phone customers are the only acceptable wireless plans in the United States right now. You can pay T-Mobile $5 more if you're seriously craving Android and have decent T-Mobile UMTS coverage, but that's a pretty dubious choice.

This. This right here is the "big collective eyeroll" or whatever the gently caress of TCS.

You can acknowledge that other plans cost different amounts, but to imply that "The only good choices are the ones I, kalibar, endorse" is total horseshit.

Long and short: Just take what people say at writ of "Features they want or need" and give them suggestions. Some people are gonna be very happy with a BlackBerry or G1 or fruitphone, even paying $20 a month more than you do. I know it hurts your thrifty soul to do this, but I would imagine many who need a recommendation would want every fitting option.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

... vs. $1,680 + taxes for bring-your-own-phone

Are you adding in the average cost of an unlocked device in the math on this?

And I completely agree with you that the imposed carrier device-specific plans suck-rear end a lot of the time--But i'm also okay with putting all that out itt and letting people just pick what they want.

Also, have we had a link yet for people to check on corporate/educational/gov't discounts on their carrier of choice? That would be a useful thing to put in the OP.

http://consumerist.com/5125567/get-an-employer-discount-with-any-cellphone-company

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

jeeves posted:

Right now I pay like 60$ a month (40+20 in rear end gently caress taxes they dont tell you) for the most basic ATT coverage ever on my L7/Slvr. I've only once or twice bumped up against my text limit of like 200 or 500 or whatever a month, so I spent 10 more to up it to 1500 texts.

But even 60$ a month is a lot for my needs. I like the idea of the iphone, but I have no idea if I'd want to pay even more for what I have. No wonder the iphone is selling so well though, if apple pockets money on the units controlling the selling and buying of apps since most people are too lazy/dont know how to unlock it, and att gets to charge whatever they want a month for it.

In all your posts, you've hit the nail on the head as for what the iphone will run monthly. This is typically what the user is paying, depending on their txt/voice plan of choice.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Axetrain posted:

I am looking for a new phone and I need some help. I just got out of Navy boot camp and have arrived at my next training station and am trying to decide which phone to get and carrier to go with. I will be stationed near Virginia Beach for the next year or so but afterwards may wind up anywhere in the world. I would like a smartphone that I can browse the internet from and possibly play music from as well. The phone that is catching my eye right now is the iPhone but I don't know much about service plans or what other options for phones I have that compares to that. I am willing to spend 200-300$ on a phone and I will probably need somewhere on the order of 1000 minutes a month. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just gonna throw it out there the the Tilt is just some last-gen slow processor headache of a handset.

Dunno what issues have you on the fence over the iPhone (it works fine in a ton of global GSM markets and Jailbreaking for cheap overseas use with prepaid sims is a no-brainer)

As for other handsets you may consider, try to follow the advice of others as far as signing up for the contract and then selling the subsidized phone for money towards a good unlocked phone.

And bear in mind that going with certain BB handsets or the iphone will offset monthly at&t data plans by about $15/mo.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Vidaeus posted:

I almost bought an iPhone today but before I do, I want to find out what other options there are for smartphones similar to the iPhone. I would like it to have:
Decent camera
Good media & music player
Sexy & responsive UI
Lots of 3rd party applications / games etc.
Touchscreen
etc.
Basically, other phones that are similar to the iPhone (and costs the same or preferably, less). Does anyone have any suggestions?
Edit: Should probably add that I'm Australian, but I haven't chosen a provider yet.

Really, if those are your criteria, just get the iPhone and be done with it.

I can't think of anything that hits all those points and will save you any great margin on money overall.

(Been using one for a year and and a half and despite the higher price point, it's a really loving great phone.)

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

jackpot posted:

Ok, I should've expected that. Alright then, if I'm looking at around $80 a month for this phone, and an iPhone appears to be around $85 (plus fees) per month, am I crazy in figuring that the iPhone isn't really that much more expensive?

I'm not really trying to talk myself into it...yet.

A lot of this boils down to your time of day or txt usage--Sprint overall gives more for less.

Example: Lowest iPhone plan is 39.99 for 450 Nation minutes, 5000 night and weekend with rollover. Requires a $30.00 a month data plan. No texts are included. "Nights" also start later, at 9 pm.

Txt plans are $5 /200, $15 / 1500, $20 / Unlimited.

It's a great device, but most users do pay more as an overall premium to use it.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

jeeves posted:

Are there any better revisions of the G1 in the pipe line?

I don't like the G1's little curve at the bottom. It doesn't let it sit nicely in my pocket.

Yes the G2 aka HTC Magic (ugh). It's pretty great looking but sadly Korea's High-Tech Computing still thinks you want a special adapter to listen to music w/ a set of 3.5mm headphones.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

butterthatbacon posted:

Hey, I'm on verizon and with NE2 I can get a Storm for $100, or an omnia for free, or any of the last generation blackberries for free.

I want web and email, and if the media experience can be about, say, 75% as easy as it is with my ipod, then i'll make it my primary music device. If no phone can do that then media is a non-issue and i'll stick with two devices. Thoughts on which one i should go for?

Anything but the Storm. Really.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

The iPhone can be pretty open but it requires more hacking and every new software update requires a new hack or you have to deal not being able to use stuff like Pandora or Skype over 3G even though you're paying out the rear end for it.

Uhm, you can use Pandora over 3G no problem on an iPhone.

Basically, the split between winmo and iphone is paying more to not use a pain in the rear end interface. Apple Tax. (Have we figured out the dollars and cents on this? is it $10/mo? $15?)

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Regressor posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

# Current contract status: Nearing end of year 1 of 2 year contract

# Budget (phone/plan): Need a budget phone (as cheap as possible with the features below)

# Features I know I want: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, > 1GB internal memory or expandable, nothing else needed.

Hey, guys.

I currently have the first generation Blackberry Curve (GPS, no Wi-Fi). I couldn't stand Edge speed, so I canceled the BB data plan and now only have unlimited text/voice. I'm a college student and usually in range of a fast Wi-Fi connection, so I'm now in the market for a phone with that feature.

Also, my old iPod Nano just crapped up, so I was also looking for a new mp3 player. I was thinking of keeping my phone and just buying an iPod Touch or something, but I'd rather not lug around 2 devices when I can essentially have one (I tend to lose things a lot, too).

I've been looking at a lot of the Nokias and Samsungs, but they're in the $250-$300 range, and was wondering if there's anything cheaper.

Thanks!

Any reason you're not looking at a refurb 8GB iphone direct from At&t? Same data cost as your curve, has wi-fi, phone has rave reviews.

Also: Apple refurbs are really well done--they don't feel like a "used" product in any way. They also carry the same warranty.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

aunaturale posted:

Just wanted to thank the two guys who made fun of me for considering getting a BB 8700. (And, I guess, Joe, who lamely provided helpful answer to my questions without insulting my intelligence).

I was browsing through ads just to prove you jackasses wrong on the 'you can afford a better model' front and ended up getting a Blackberry 8800 for $130.

Now I have a very good condition, fast, convenient, and really cool device that'll hopefully last me a while.

Somehow you missed the point entirely if you bought the 8800.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

CHRISTS FOR SALE posted:

Yeah. That's what I thought too. It's almost like making a computer that will blow up if you attempt to connect broadband internet to it.

Pretty sure I'm gonna get an iPhone. It just seems like the best choice all around.

Agreed. BB integration w/ iCal and the mac ecosystem is pretty clunky. That few dollars a month you're seeing as a price difference will pay your frustration tax in spades.

It's really not just a "fun phone"--iphone has really stepped up to cover most business needs. And the facebook mobile on iphone is unparalleled, even moreso with the upcoming push implementation.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Captain Pike posted:

Phone/Service Recommendation:

# Country/Provider: USA/no preference

# Current contract status: none

# Budget (phone/plan): Unknown (I do not have a fixed limitation on budget, but I would like to get a decent deal for the features I require)

# Features I know I want:
Voice clarity, POP3 email, Instant Messaging (Yahoo/AIM), SSH client.
- I will make/receive very few phone calls.
- I will need to have the phone check Yahoo IM/AIM at all times, and notify me of new messages.
- I will need the phone to check three POP3 email accounts at all times, and notify me of new messages, if possible.

(I have no need for cameras, MP3, video, GPS, web browsing, editing documents, etc.
This will be a voice/email/IM business phone)

Either a G1 or iPhone. (live notifications for iPhone IM apps will be active as of June / July. The G1 has this today) Most of those other features you listed that you don't want are included on all new phones anyway--'cept maybe if you go super budget and just get an old Sidekick, in which case you'll have crappier voice call quality cause you won't have 3G.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

Touch Diamond is cheaper through MCO: http://www.mobilecityonline.com/wireless/store/productdetail.asp?productid=23369

Also, $393 on Amazon if you don't like import phone shops or whatever.

I'd love to hear your total cost of ownership opinion now for the various carriers w/ the touch pro (locked & unlocked) vs the contract on the iphone 3g on AT&T.

Way i figure it, with the $99 3g iphone w/ 2yr contract unit available now, the difference stands at around $67 more expensive in 2 yrs over the unlocked Touch Pro on AT&T. Other carriers i'm not so sure ( you know way more about sprint plans than I do.)

I think the various handsets have a lot to offer, but I can state that the iphone app and dev support, a 40,000,000 device install base (between itouch and the phone) leave it to be a really fun option. And if you've played w/ jailbreaking yet, there's a lot of great flexible things people do w/ the unofficial platform that don't feel restricted at all.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

moloo posted:

Iphone 3G or Iphone 3G S... My 72 year old Grandfather needs to know...

My grandfather decided he needs a new phone. He wants navigation and the ability to tether to a laptop (which he doesn't yet have) for internet access on the road.

I know the Iphone 3G can be tethered to a laptop if jailbroken, but it doesn't have the new compass feature. I originally thought the 3G S would have native tethering ability but that seems not to be the case. Money isn't really an issue here, I'm just wondering if it would be safe to have him buy an Iphone 3G S and wait for it to be jailbroken (which would probably be the same time that he buys a laptop). Or is the compass feature of the 3G S somewhat stupid and he should just get a iphone 3G?

I've been tethering the poo poo out of iphone 3.0 non-jailbroken.

As long as he's not torrenting or some poo poo, he's probably gonna be fine using this feature for free.

Activating tethering takes about 30 seconds by just clicking a link and installing a carrier package from the iphone's web browser. Head over to the iphone megathread should you need any other questions answered.

Steinbeck fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 23, 2009

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
Aside from pure utter cheapness, the E71 is a really boring and lovely dated phone.

Nokia is dead, long live Nokia. I really wish they were the same as the company that launched the N95 and the smartphones before that, but they're just pure poo poo in their modern lineup. Expressmusic is stupid. The N97 is a loving joke. Compare to the G1, Pre, iPhone, and dare I say even SOME custom builds of WinMo, and I just can't believe smartphone buyers go for these anymore. Sentimental much?

I really wish all these Nokia recommendations would come with the disclaimer that "You're gonna be using dated UI on dated hardware, but hey, youre saving money right? And this company used to be good at phones, yknow?"
I guess I just don't understand being *this* into tech and being *this* unbelievably cheap when it comes to buying a smartphone.

But I do agree with the Upgrade / unlock / sell strategy. That poo poo works great. I scored a $50 profit on my latest iphone upgrade using this strategy.

e: Didn't even mention the Bold, but that's only cause I haven't had a helluva lot of hands on with it. Heard it's very nice though.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

powderific posted:

• Country/Provider: USA -- AT&T right now, wouldn't mind moving to someone else besides T-Mobile (they have very few towers here)

• Current contract status: Up in October, currently on an unlocked Nokia 6300

• Budget (phone/plan): $200 for the phone (a little more if unlocked or really snazzy), hoping to stay under/around the $74 I'm paying all-in at ATT

• Features I know I want: Responsive/attractive UI; solid, well designed hardware; good web browsing; Qwerty keyboard or excellent on-screen version thereof; a good number of applications

First, a bit of my phone history: Sony Ericsson T610, K750i, w580i, and now a Nokia 6300. I absolutely adored both Sony cadybars and wish I still had the K750i. The w580i's hardware wasn't so hot: the slider got loose pretty quick and some keys stopped working properly after less than 6 months. The Nokia's hardware has been great, but the interface is slow and ugly compared that of the Sonys.

I'd probably be really happy with another Sony candybar phone, but I feel a bit silly spending ~$250 on a regular old phone just because I like the design and interface so much. So I've decided to make the jump to a smartphone of some kind or another. My main reasons for moving to a smartphone: better web experience, more applications to tinker with, easier text input than traditional T9, and a prettier/faster interface.

I'm looking at:

• Palm Pre on contract- I've been following it since the announcement and love WebOS, but I'm concerned that the hardware won't last (I'm especially worried about the slider mechanism). I'd also have to make the jump over to Sprint, which wouldn't be too bad if the Pre lasts through my contract, except I might need to bump up to a more expensive plan than I'm on now since they don't have rollover minutes and 450 on the lowest everything plan isn't quite enough.
  • Unlocked Nokia E71 - Nice looking, solid phone. My main concern is that I'll again be stuck with an ugly Nokia interface. I don't really understand how the various flavors of S60 work and whether the available applications are any good.
  • ???

I'd like to hear any recommendations, particularly on the S60 devices side as I'm not very familiar with those.

I played with a Pre a lot the past few days--it's a great device. As long as you trust you can be patient enough to get quick on the smallish keyboard, go with that. The UI is very snappy and the HW itself is some of the speediest available today. In short: I think it's a great phone with a lot of excellent future promise.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

nature6pk posted:

I'm an existing Fido customer with the City Fido plan that I'm not really interested in getting away from as Fido keeps letting me renew it, and I like having unlimited anytime minutes as I can been on the phone for an amazing amount of time for work. Sick and tired of my RAZR V3 I'm looking at a smartphone, as my business really needs me to have access to email GPS etc and have narrowed it down to a couple of choices.

I'm torn between a Blackberry Curve 8900 and a HTC G1 as both seem to be very similar in a lot of places. Aside from email and that I want a phone that will work as a MP3 player at the gym, and one that has a Golf Range GPS, which I've been unable to find for the G1 so far. I don't plan on doing very much streaming video, but streaming radio seems like it could be a great feature in the truck. I've had a Blackberry in the past and I know how wonderful they are, at this point I'm just trying to find an excuse to not go in that direction, to either the G1 or something else that I've overlooked.

I think you may tend to lean toward the G1. Android is in its ramp-up period as a contender, and there's a lot of location-based apps (some with Augmented reality worked in via the gps + compass + camera) that are looking really interesting.

It's a well reviewed phone with great promise. One caveat: If you're a power user, plan to buy an upgraded and/or spare battery.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Dicker posted:

* Country/Provider: T-Mobile Los Angeles/Orange County CA, USA.

* Current contract status: Contract just came up, I have an older Sidekick LX, 1000 anytime minutes free N&W and unlimited data/text for $60/m(had this plan since 2005)

* Budget (phone/plan): $200 for the phone, I'm flexible on monthly, I know if I go to an Android Handset (mytouch3g) I'll be looking at $40/mo to keep my minutes, and a bump from $20/mo to $35/mo for data/text, so $75/mo total. With ATT I'd have to spend $110/mo for 100 less minutes.

* Features I know I want: 3G, Twitter/facebook/IM apps, I use the crap out of my sidekick. I'm an avid Macfag and listen to a ton of podcasts.

My dilemma is. do I spend $35 more a month to get the Iphone 3GS which is an awesome phone, but then suffer with AT&T's poo poo service? My coworkers with iphones have spotty reception while my shitbox sidekicks have been getting full bars and push IM's since 2005 :D . The Iphone is pretty much worthless when not on ATT correct? It wont work on TMO's 3G right?

The TMO Mytouch 3g also appeals to me, but i'd really like itunes synching and a goddamned 3.5mm audio jack. Also, how is T mobiles 3g network coming along? are they actively working on making it better?

Bonus round! : How is palm service, its a little cheaper than ATT, but I have a hard time typing on the Pre's keyboard.

Double Bonus Round! : Should I even bother checking out the new sidekick LX 2009? or do the other phones I am considering blow it out of the water.

Questions to answer to get your perfect phone:

- Have you tried the G1 yet? My Sidekick entrenched buddy upgraded to this and has never been happier. The app selection and dev support has been paltry, however.

- Can you endure network issues for more apps and a better UI / hardware? iPhone 3G S then. On AT&T. You can't get 3G on the iphone unlocking it and taking it to US T-Mobile.

- Visit a Sprint store and do some test typing on the Pre keyboard for as long as you care to. Some people can adapt to the teeny keyboard... I found it really clumsy. I hope they put a kickass soft keyboard on this as soon as possible. The Sprint network is also top tier, second to only Verizon in the US.

- Are you a 14 year old girl? Do not buy another Sidekick--nothing progressive or interesting in the pipeline. Was a solid casual smartphone for its day: crap now when sized up to the rest.

This should lead you to your new (hopefully perfect for you) phone! Let us know what you end up with.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
Just to throw it out there: most all of the US celly companies let you mess around w/ a new phone for the first 30 days without contract (lest the iphone, which carries a restock fee of about $20 USD )

What I mean to say is, despite some of the Nokia and winmo hardons in this thread for cheaping out on a hock-and-walk plan: TRY THE GOOD NEW PHONES.

The Pre.

The G1.

The iphone.

The BlackBerry Bold

The.... no i think those are the best phones out. Give them a go in your area. Try 'em., see if they work for you. See if the featureset is worth the extra cash. Don't just go w/ the E71 or a touchpro cause it's the cheapest piece of plastic you can own (unless you're extraordinarily cheap. In which case, jesus, buy a cheap as gently caress pay-as-you-go and a netbook. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/22/nokia-n97-review-a-tale-of-two-bloggers/

Check out the 2nd video in this post and ask yourself if it's *really* worth it.

Navigation on the N71 is slower but in a completely different way. Mess with one and see if it's worth the budgeting.