Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I've had my K790a for way to long now so its time for an upgrade...please read the following and tell me what I should do!

Current provider: At&t

Wants: Nice responsive touch screen, simple UI, Decent camera, 3+ inch screen, easy to use onscreen keyboard or a nice slide out qwerty. Reliability (not always crashing) etc. US 3G 850/1900mhz, ability to install/use Opera Mobile or something at least comparable.

Don't want: A piece of poo poo, something with ToughWiz UI, or something running just standard WM6 Today screen.

Uses: Internet, Email (Both work and personal), texting (a lot), and normal calls for business and such.

Things that don't really matter: MP3 playback or general multimedia. If I got an iphone obviously I would use that over my ipod, but I don't really have a need since I already have the ipod. Video playback would be minimal at best, maybe showing youtube to friends or a video every now and then when I fly around the country if I don't want to pull out my laptop.

Phones: I like the iPhone, though I am not really a fan of phones that don't let you change simple things in the UI. I would like it a lot more if I didn't have to jailbreak it to change small things. I like being able to choose what I want to use or at least be given a decent solution otherwise. Lack of Flash and Java support is slightly annoying.

I like the newest blackberry OS revision, it seems to have improved quite a bit over the previous one with shows up on older pearls or world edition BB's. The Storm is actually pretty awesome even though the clicking screen is slightly odd at first, problem here is I don't have VZW and don't really care to switch.

So try and recommend me a phone based on this. Price doesn't really matter as long as its under 1000 dollars, unlocked. Right now I am torn between 4 phones...

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a, iPhone and BlackBerry Storm (need to switch:() and HTC Touch Pro, even though it has a smaller screen that I would like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Noctone posted:

You've pretty much covered all available options, unless you want to hold out for the Nokia N97. I've heard a ton of complaints about the Storm, but otherwise your options are all good and it mostly depends on which one you like best.

I wanted to wait for the N97, but its not coming until at least May/June. The iPhone seems like the logical choice in this situation, but it pisses me off so much that the UI is so locked down. Simply changing the colors of certain things could make it so much better. Being forced to Jailbreak and install Winterboard and kill the speed of the phone just to make a few changes is annoying. The is a screenshot of default status bar I think vs black hacked one and its like 100x better looking and its such a simple change.

I really hope apple opens up simple customizations in the future firmwares.

I was going to get the X1, but best buy still doesn't have them in stock even though they said they would be in-store for purchase on Nov. 28th. I don't really like Windows Mobile, but ability to customize is pretty big.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 15, 2008

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Noctone posted:

The last I heard the X1a has been pushed back to January 9th.

From what I've read, the X1a and the Fuze are essentially identical devices for the most part. Except the X1a costs about $300 more than the Fuze off-contract. Boy Genius Report has a decent comparison of the two, if you're curious.

Essentially the same although the X1 has a larger screen with higher resolution. I used a Fuze/touch pro for about a month and just couldn't get into Windows Mobile and the touch screen, specifically in TF3D was shoddy at best.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Yeah I am probably going to pick one up tonight. Though I am seeing a lot of good things about the bold. The lack of touchscreen though isn't cool though. It seems somehow behind the times.