Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, Resolution is essential viewing from the past year. I'm surprised it's had as little attention as it has in this thread. It's a great meta horror flick, even coming out in a period where we have been pretty saturated with that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Keanu Grieves posted:

Man, I need to see this. I love The Uninvited, and I've been putting it off for way too long.
It's fantastic. A lot of the plot feels very familiar now for that specific time period in Asian horror, but it's still a great story, and the cinematography and lighting is top notch.

Xandoom posted:

I need reccomendations as I've been pretty bored lately. How about the best horror movie made within the past year? What do you think it would be? I will watch all your answers.
Did you see the Maniac remake yet? It's very effective and disturbing, with some impressive practical effects and film techniques.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'd vote Prometheus, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Chernobyl Diaries and The Bay. You could arguably include After Earth as well, but it's more of a blend of genres.
Did you do any kind of review or anything for Chernobyl Diaries? I'm really curious to see your takeaway from it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I haven't seen the Maniac remake yet, I'll add it to my list to watch tonight. And also to the dude who put Chernobyl Diaries on his list: What made you like it? I thought it was boring, bland and had no tension or scares. Curious to see your thoughts on it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

Want to, with a few caveats, recommend Uninhabited, on Netflix Instant. It's about a couple who go on a camping trip on a desert island and spooky stuff happens.

The male lead is terrible (his accent hides this a bit) and the plot is rote with few surprises. That being said, I watched it alone at night and it really creeped me out. Lots of the creepy stuff happens on a brightly-lit beach, which you don't see very often, and I found it very effective.

It's a very low-key movie that isn't trying to reinvent the wheel, but I enjoyed it.

Just finished this up. Not bad, but I'll say that it had one of the worst cases of skeptical male / intuitive female that I've ever seen. I mean, I don't expect the characters to know they are in a horror movie, but the male character's rationalizations for each event are just so outrageous that it really detracted from the rest of the movie. Also, the female character's inherent connection to the ghost was laid out for the viewer in about as boring a manner as possible ("I feel her!")

In terms of quality and the successful use of an exotic locale, I'd put it on par with something like The Ruins.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xandoom posted:

I haven't seen the Maniac remake yet, I'll add it to my list to watch tonight. And also to the dude who put Chernobyl Diaries on his list: What made you like it? I thought it was boring, bland and had no tension or scares. Curious to see your thoughts on it.

That wasn't me but the first half of Chernobyl Diaries in which the crew is exploring Pripyat and the surrounding area is legitimately great and full of tension. It's the second half where it falls apart and turns into a mediocre slasher.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I asked before and nobody answered, but where can I see Maniac in the US? Everything I can find says limited theater release and on demand June 21st in the US other than a couple of little festivals last year. If you do end up watching it tonight, please let me know where because I love Elijah Wood being a creepy fellow.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
To add to the discussion, I went back to 2011 on my Criticker, just so I could find films that I watched in 2012, but didn't get a home video (or whatever) release until last year. The only two films I could add to that list are Detention and The Innkeepers.

Also, after looking at my list on Criticker, the poo poo I have watched far outweighs the good horror.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Prometheus is totally horror; it's just of the Jason X variety.

And poo poo, I totally forgot Frankenstein Theory came out so recently. Throw that one on there too. Combined with The Devil Inside, and a good third of V/H/S, it's been a pretty solid year for found footage.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Resolution's grrrr-reat! (But it's barely horror.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Did you do any kind of review or anything for Chernobyl Diaries? I'm really curious to see your takeaway from it.

I wrote a couple posts about it in the old Gen. Chat thread:

"Chernobyl Diaries is actually one of the better films I've seen this year. It's not an uncompromised revelation like Area 407, but it's a good one - very similar in theme and tone to The Ruins, for fans of that film (like me). I was mildly disconcerted by the rather theatrical acting in the first half (before the screaming starts), but that can be read as a positive trait. The kids look and act like they're in a commercial for coffee, or life insurance. As in The Ruins, this will change. It's all about the inevitability of decay, and it's really effective. It's very Texas Chainsaw.

The objections some people have are understandable. The plot is generic, and the acting takes some getting used to, as noted. The film is also loaded with redundant or unnecessary exposition, which betrays a lack of faith in the audience (my one major gripe). But as I'd expected, folks overlooked the cinematography. It's really great cinematography, approximating the style of Children of Men. The handheld camera will often float around the characters before lingering on some interesting tableau. This creates some good tension between the POVs of the cameraman and the characters, while also seamlessly bridging them. The film is remarkably good at drawing tension from frames-within-frames, like empty doorways and clouded windows. It frequently just looks great. Perhaps it's too naturalistic for its own good, because they pull off some really neat stuff.

Why it's a good film: there's a lengthy, slowly-paced montage of the characters silently experiencing their environments, and documenting them.

The special effects are flawless, but also not at all show-offy. This is post-spectacular cinema, in the style of Battle: Los Angeles, where everything is presented matter-of-factly and you don't get any 'money shots' of the monsters posing. And about the monsters: I liked them. They're not 'scary', no. People have complained about that, but they don't appreciate the nuance. With their rubbery makeup and clumsiness, they approach Zaat's mixture of pity and revulsion towards a mutated creature. It's exploitative of the tragedy, yes - but very self-conciously about that exploitation. These are vengeful ghosts from a disaster reduced to a historical trivia and a cool thing you may have seen on the internet. That it feels skeevier than countless pop-cult stuff about nazi experiments is a testament to its success. Consider it a response to that video game. It's the important distinction between mere fodder to be killed and humans reduced to inhumanity, as covered in Peter Jackson's films. You can almost hear them lament how they've been reduced to movie mutants. But consider how easy it would have been to make them 'cool' mutants, and you can admire the restraint of making them appear almost fragile.

I liked how they subvert the 'glimpse of the monster in a photo' scene by having that information be totally useless to the characters and irrelevant to the plot. I like how it opens with an iPad screen and closes with a metal shutter covering a darkened window. I like the understated moment where these young photographers find find a destroyed photograph lying in the dirt and then forget about it (again, with no relevance to the plot).

In general, the film is just plain bleak and discomfiting. It's not discovered-footage, but obviously borrows a lot from that style. There's barely any score, and the takes are looong, lingering on 'empty' spaces. The shot choices are often very unconventional, playing with the lightweight camera like a subdued Crank. The production design is utterly fantastic as well, and it's all subtle and downbeat. Everything Bordwell wrote about Paranormal Activity [...] applies here, although in a film that's significantly better. They use the aesthetic to smuggle a lot of art-film in there. The film isn't as bold and confident as Area 407, but I'd still rank it higher than many on my 'runners up' list for last year.

[...]

It's a generic horror plot retold with extreme subtlety and understatement. Like you don't even realize, til the end, how it effortlessly shifted between protagonists. You don't get the subtextual importance of the one girl having trouble walking with heels on cobblestone. That just hit me now.

It seems condescending to say it's a film that rewards attention, because I'm sure folks paid attention. More accurately, it's a film without any of the usual conventional payoffs, so it's only rewarding for people willing to put up with that. There are no 'holy poo poo!' moments whatsoever.

It's just a sad, quiet film about how everyone you love will die and there's little you can do about it but try and forget. It's my kind of film because I'm a firm believer that cinema exists at the point where mere plot description fails to be adequate. Plot provides structure and context, but the little details are what's vital to me. Wikipedia isn't going to note the part where the girl has trouble walking in heels. It's not going to note the part where she just stands there and feels the world around her. And it's not going to cover the gradual, satisfying realization that she was the protagonist all along.

Nuance is more vital than complexity, which is why I love Area 407."

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Apollo 18 And The Bay was a good FF double feature.

I would like to officially request, however, that we abandon the silly twittering insect sound effect. Bugs, alien or not, do not make that sound. It's like the insect version of the Wilhelm scream.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I watched life force for the first time. Holy poo poo, what a great spacesexvampire movie. Reminds me of why I live Tobe Hooper. I don't think I've disliked a single film of his I've seen, even "The Mangler" (which is the best movie about a killer clothing press ever)

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Has anyone seen any of the filmed adaptations of The Yellow Wallpaper?

The Yellow Wallpaper (2012) is terrible. It's boring and uninspired. How you can take one of greatest pieces of feminist literature and make it all about the dull husband is beyond me. The only thing enjoyable about it was Juliet Landau and five minutes of Veronica Cartwright.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Profondo Rosso posted:

I watched life force for the first time. Holy poo poo, what a great spacesexvampire movie. Reminds me of why I live Tobe Hooper. I don't think I've disliked a single film of his I've seen, even "The Mangler" (which is the best movie about a killer clothing press ever)

Tobe obviously peaked almost immediately with Chainsaw, but I think Eaten Alive, The Funhouse and TCM 2 are VERY strong underrated works. And while I'm not the biggest Lifeforce fan, it is certainly batshit insane in the way only someone who is an idiot/genius could create. And hey, on the 18th I believe Scream Factory is releasing a "Holy poo poo" version of it on blu ray and I will be happily dropping 20 bucks on it.

We'll just pretend his Master of Horrors entries don't exist.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Did anyone else unleash the beast with The Purge over the weekend?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I figure this is probably the best place to ask, but I'm looking for a movie I saw in a film analysis class ages ago. It was our introduction to male gaze, in that it was supposed to avoid using it altogether. iirc, it was directed by a woman as well, but I'm not sure. I don't recall it being particularly scary or anything, but the gender theory stuff tied it into horror pretty well. The killer is a mousy-haired super shy woman with huge glasses that kills people and keeps them in her basement, talking to them and chatting with them. She's confronted by...someone that I can't remember, but who definitely worked in her office. Any idea?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Ravenfood posted:

I figure this is probably the best place to ask, but I'm looking for a movie I saw in a film analysis class ages ago. It was our introduction to male gaze, in that it was supposed to avoid using it altogether. iirc, it was directed by a woman as well, but I'm not sure. I don't recall it being particularly scary or anything, but the gender theory stuff tied it into horror pretty well. The killer is a mousy-haired super shy woman with huge glasses that kills people and keeps them in her basement, talking to them and chatting with them. She's confronted by...someone that I can't remember, but who definitely worked in her office. Any idea?

It's been years since I've seen it and don't remember the basement thing but it could be Ms. 45

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Sounds vaguely like Lucky Mckee's May.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is Survival of the Dead worth watching?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xandoom posted:

Is Survival of the Dead worth watching?

Not really, no.

edit:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought it was a little better than Diary but both are a categorical "avoid".

My thoughts exactly.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 3, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought it was a little better than Diary but both are a categorical "avoid".

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Heads up: The Friday the 13th films are now on Netflix instant.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Xandoom posted:

You son of a bitch. There goes the next week of my life.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xandoom posted:

Yeeeeeeeeeessssssss I've been meaning to rewatch parts 1 and 2 for a while.

edit: and lo and behold, parts 1 and 2 are two of the only ones not available. poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Glamorama26 posted:

Tobe obviously peaked almost immediately with Chainsaw, but I think Eaten Alive, The Funhouse and TCM 2 are VERY strong underrated works. And while I'm not the biggest Lifeforce fan, it is certainly batshit insane in the way only someone who is an idiot/genius could create. And hey, on the 18th I believe Scream Factory is releasing a "Holy poo poo" version of it on blu ray and I will be happily dropping 20 bucks on it.

We'll just pretend his Master of Horrors entries don't exist.

Poltergeist was really the last good movie he made , I mean I really don't know what his deal was as he had those two great movies and then his directing style seemed to just completely loving change.

He's just weird.

The Purge is apparently getting decent reviews but I am anxious about going to see it in the theater as I've seen a few reviews that were " It's well made" but kind of cliche.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Hollis posted:

The Purge is apparently getting decent reviews but I am anxious about going to see it in the theater as I've seen a few reviews that were " It's well made" but kind of cliche.

It came out here last Friday. I gave it a solid 3/5. It's fun but has quite a few problems. It's slow, the attacking the house doesn't really begin until about 40-50 minutes in. Also there are far to many scenes when a character is about to get killed then the killer is shot by someone else, very anti climatic and lazy. The script also seems very unfocused, keeps adding unneeded elements to something that should have been more simple and straight forwards. It has some plot developments that are badly foreshadowed and you can see them coming a mile off.
Some of the dialog is pretty eye rollingly bad "UNLEASH THE BEAST BOYS!" "Let us puuuurrrrrge".
I sound very Negitive about it but I did find it fun with some decent suspense scenes and once it takes off its never boring.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Xandoom posted:

Anyone know if they're the theatricul releases or the uncut versions?

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.
I'm more interested in watching a movie about how a world in which The Purge exists came to be than I am in watching The Purge, if that makes any sense.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Craig Spradlin posted:

I'm more interested in watching a movie about how a world in which The Purge exists came to be than I am in watching The Purge, if that makes any sense.

You don't really need to have the ridiculous premise for a home invasion movie. Its the most elaborate "our cell phones don't work and no one can help us" explanation ever.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How's The Frankenstein Theory?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Xandoom posted:

Excellent! Part 5 has my favourite 'guy gets killed by an axe' scene in all of cinema history. Too bad the rest of that movie is completely useless and is a lower point of the series than Jason X.

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

Slasherfan posted:

Did anyone else unleash the beast with The Purge over the weekend?

Yep - agree that it's a "3 out of 5"-kinda film. I'm a sucker for home invasion flicks and I actually enjoyed the 35 mins of build up - there was a sense of looming dread as the purge time got closer, which nicely undercut the everyday domesticity. I found the kids pretty annoying/dumb though. The actual home invasion also felt rushed...I'd have much preferred more of a game of cat and mouse, with the two sides trying to outfox each other. Also I agree that they overused the trope of "character is about to die, someone else appears out of nowhere and guns down the assailant". It's an OK film and didn't overstay its welcome - I'm was just a bit disappointed because it wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

Also saw Byzantium this weekend. Was pretty slow and overlong, although it did try to do something different with the vampire genre. Saoirse Ronan was good but the teenage boy she meets was horribly misplayed - he came across as way too creepy for someone to want to confide in.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I liked Byzantium a lot, but I don't know if I'd call it a horror per se - it's more of a thriller I think. The boy did seem a little creepy but I guess I kind of got used to him since I saw Cronenberg Jr's Antiviral the same day.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Excellent! Part 5 has my favourite 'guy gets killed by an axe' scene in all of cinema history. Too bad the rest of that movie is completely useless and is a lower point of the series than Jason X.

I'm currently working my through them and I'm watching Part 5 tonight! I'm excited for the axe scene now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xandoom posted:

How's The Frankenstein Theory?

Rad, and extremely literary.

It's a return to, and it rewards familiarity with, the original novel.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Anyone know if they're the theatricul releases or the uncut versions?

The Netflix movies are usually the same as the DVD versions, so probably uncut.

Aargh, they don't have Jason Goes to Hell on instant. That's the one F13 movie I haven't seen yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The problem with Frankenstein (The Modern Prometheus) is that seemingly nobody has read it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Jason Goes to Hell is pretty bad. This has come up in the thread multiple times but I thought Jason X was better. It's still worth a watch for the absolutely ridiculous plot and what I thought was probably the cheesiest ending they could have produced.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rad, and extremely literary.

I just want to add that because I suck I haven't read the original novel, but still thought the movie was really rad. It's basically the good aspects of Troll Hunter meets The Thing meets Blair Witch with hints of Quarantine. It's really loving great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I have read Frankenstein more than once but have not seen that movie yet.