Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

That was me I think, maybe? I love Giallo films. Since most of my favourites are mentioned I'll throw out Torso. Amazing poster and film in general , it's actually pretty good.

Also if you just stick to Mario Bava, Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, Sergio Martino, Paolo Cavara and Umberto Lenzi.You'll be good.

Torso is great.

The guy who made the Giallo Primer was a total rear end in a top hat, it wasn't you.

I can't find it in the archives right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Hollismason posted:

One of the problems though with the Giallo films is that they were given multiple names and some had recuts or cut in scenes from completely different films then they'd be released with a new name.

I get a laugh when they use the success of past movies to market new films. I don't mean posters saying "FROM THE CREATORS OF...." , I mean things like Tombs of The Blind Dead being marketed as Mark of The Devil 4 (or 5 depending on distributor, while other distributors had TTBD 2 relabeled as MOTD 5). Some distributor also had a voice-over added to the beginning and a title change to Revenge from Planet Ape, so to ride on the success of Planet of the Apes.

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 28, 2014

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Any Umberto Lenzi giallo is worth checking out. Seven Bloodstained Orchids, Eyeball and Spasmo especially. I think Seven Orchids and Spasmo are OOP on DVD in America, and Eyeball never had a proper US release. The best time to be a giallo fan (minus being in Italy in the 70s / 80s) was probably 2002 - 2007, as Blue Underground, Media Blasters, Anchor Bay and No Shame Films released tons of giallo DVDs monthly, almost all are OOP now. What Have You Done to Solange? is my favorite movie ever, so I'm super jealous of Uncle Boogeyman right now. No giallo movies ever play theatrically in the Twin Cities, and we have the US offices for Raro Video located here, so you'd think they would pop up every now and then.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've never actually seen Tombs of the Blind Dead could never find a decent DVD version at the time, but should go back and try and hunt a copy down.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

I've never actually seen Tombs of the Blind Dead could never find a decent DVD version at the time, but should go back and try and hunt a copy down.

You absolutely should and Blue Underground released them on DVD a while back (and they all came in a cool coffin: it is one of my favourite collections I have on my shelf).

Spanish horror is really great.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It seems like old non-American horror films were more brutal than their American counterparts. I was watching At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul the other day and it kinda shocked me that it was released in 1963.

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012

InfiniteZero posted:

You absolutely should and Blue Underground released them on DVD a while back (and they all came in a cool coffin: it is one of my favourite collections I have on my shelf).

Spanish horror is really great.

What other Spanish horror films would you reccomend? I've only seen this series and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

P-Zombie posted:

What other Spanish horror films would you reccomend? I've only seen this series and Let Sleeping Corpses Lie.

Who Can Kill A Child? is great.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I always forget about Blue Underground. I think the thing that endears me most to the Giallo and just generally Italian horror is that the people who act in them genuinely are trying to at least be passable and generally most movies have one or two sequences that are really well directed.

I think people forget but there is literally a city in Italy called Cinema City.

I've always wanted to visit it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinecitt%C3%A0

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 28, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

P-Zombie posted:

Dagon

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kramjacks posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yf5voaoBiw

Its playing at TIFF on the 9th, doesn't look like there are any other North American release dates so far.

I'm kind of bummed that it's not found footage but I guess after 3 they weren't going back to that format.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The second half of Deliria/Stagefright is absolutely loving perfect. I just wish the first half didn't drag so much.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

P-Zombie posted:

El Dia De La Bestia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2FjEOyl9I

A hundred times over. A priest is convinced that the Antichrist is coming and decides that he needs to commit sins and sell his soul so he can be present for his return and destroy him. The only person who believes him is a heavy metal dude at a record store. It all plays out as dark horror comedy.

Any of the Paul Naschy films are worth checking out. I've always really dug Panic Beats in particular.

I guess The Devil's Backbone counts too, because that was Del Toro (who is Mexican) working in Spain on a story set in Spain.

La Residencia is also a Spanish classic.

Also not really Spanish except for its director but any time I can pimp PIECES I'm going to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCxGQetNrk

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 28, 2014

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I'd also recommend Cannibal Man, which is this portrait of a lonely murder that turns into weirdly tragicomic piling of bodies, sort of like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer by way of Texas Chainsaw 2.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The short discussion from a few pages back made me want to watch some of those post-Scream slashers that I haven't watched since I was 11. I like to imagine I'm a better film watcher now. What are some of the films in that line? I know there's something like a thousand direct to DVD slashers from the early 2000s that have box art with the characters in profile around the killer. I wish I could hunt those down but, :rip: Blockbuster.

Other than the Screams I can think of I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend and The Faculty but I imagine I'm missing a ton.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hollismason posted:

Watch this movie loving NOW. I love all of the sequels too, though not everyone shares that sentiment.

Here's some Tombs of the Blind Dead themed metal, just because:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsYjR0l9UlY

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hooded Menace are a good band and Tombs of the Blind Dead is an outstanding movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

weekly font posted:

Other than the Screams I can think of I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend and The Faculty but I imagine I'm missing a ton.
American Werewolf in Paris (sequel, but treads on Scream's turf)
The Craft
Idle Hands (very underrated, and basically a comedy)
The Rage: Carrie 2
Disturbing Behavior
The Babysitter
Fear.com

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

This thread moves fast when the right subject is brought up, god drat. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna have to do research because I've seen some of the titles mentioned but I can't recall exactly which. Don't Torture a Duckling is one I do remember and it's one of my favorites from Fulci.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hooded Menace are a good band and Tombs of the Blind Dead is an outstanding movie.

Agreed.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Is anyone planning to see As Above, So Below? I think a movie set in the Paris Catacombs has the potential to be pretty creepy, and it seems like it will focus more on psychological horror (the thought of literally losing yourself in the maze is terrifying).

I want to go this weekend, but I don't have enough friends who live close to me who appreciate horror movies (and I feel weird going to movies alone). :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dia De La Bestia is probably my favorite Spanish horror movie.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

P-Zombie posted:

This may not be what you were after, but I very much liked The Baby's Room from the "Films to Keep You Awake" collection. It takes a premise similar to Insidious and takes it in a very strange direction.
Edit: Also it is Spanish.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 28, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Dia De La Bestia is probably my favorite Spanish horror movie.

I couldn't remember the name of this earlier and it was bugging me but yeah, it's good. It's basically Fright Night but replace a vampire with the Antichrist.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

weekly font posted:

The short discussion from a few pages back made me want to watch some of those post-Scream slashers that I haven't watched since I was 11. I like to imagine I'm a better film watcher now. What are some of the films in that line? I know there's something like a thousand direct to DVD slashers from the early 2000s that have box art with the characters in profile around the killer. I wish I could hunt those down but, :rip: Blockbuster.

You're looking for everything Dimension put out in the years following their success with Scream. You mentioned The Faculty, but they also used that same poster design for Phantoms, Mimic, Dracula 2000, Halloween: H20, and likely a bunch of other releases I can't recall offhand.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

katium posted:

Is anyone planning to see As Above, So Below? I think a movie set in the Paris Catacombs has the potential to be pretty creepy, and it seems like it will focus more on psychological horror (the thought of literally losing yourself in the maze is terrifying).

I want to go this weekend, but I don't have enough friends who live close to me who appreciate horror movies (and I feel weird going to movies alone). :(

I will be seeing it; trailer sold me. Definitely has potential.

FAKE EDIT: Oh yeah, and speaking of post-Scream slashers, Cherry Falls was torture to sit through.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda scared to see As Above So Below. It's like, it has that same "will scratch the itch" feeling that Grave Encounters did but I am scared they are going to gently caress up the ending like they did with GE as well.

I really want to see it, and I really want it to be good, but I'm gonna wait till someone else sees it and tells me if the ending is retarded or not.

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm kinda scared to see As Above So Below. It's like, it has that same "will scratch the itch" feeling that Grave Encounters did but I am scared they are going to gently caress up the ending like they did with GE as well.

I really want to see it, and I really want it to be good, but I'm gonna wait till someone else sees it and tells me if the ending is retarded or not.

IT WAS ALL A DREAM

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hollismason posted:

Watching End of Days right now I had forgotten how good Gabriel Byrnes was and how actually not to terrible Arnold was.

The movie loving owns.

InfiniteZero posted:

The Exorcist spawned a few great/horrible rip-offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bDdncqvtfQ

This actually looks kinda legit; am I being fooled by this TV spot or should I watch this?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I was very underwhelmed by Stage Fright it didn't have very good songs at all. I think Repo is still the best Horror Musical not counting Rocky Horror, even thoug that is more of a comedy or Phantom of the Opera, since well it was alright.

Oh I may go see Evil Dead : The Musical it's playing here in Chicago.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 29, 2014

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hollismason posted:

I think Repo Man is still the best Horror Musical not counting Rocky Horror,

I think you mean Repo. Repo Man, while having both awesome music, is very much not a horror or a musical. As for Repo, it is the winner based on being fairly passable in a very narrow genre with a very small pool. That said, I enjoyed it when I watched it, but it certainly isn't a runner for one of the great musicals.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought Repo: The Genetic Opera was loving garbage. Well, what I saw of it, anyway. It was so bad I couldn't even make it all the way through.

I'm not really a fan of Rocky Horror either. I'd say I'm not a fan of horror musicals in general, but I saw a live production of Evil Dead: The Musical and thought it was hilarious and awesome.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
Just watched Apartment 143/Emergo. I liked it, but the last jump scare kind of felt superfluous.

Like, I guess they were wrong about the girl being a poltergeist/schizophrenic? Or maybe there was more to her accusations while 'possessed' than they realized? Apart from that sort of speculation, I guess it was just a reminder that the girl's mental illness wasn't going away just because the movie was over. But it still felt a little like a cheap jump scare, and the only scene in the film that struck me as derivative of The Grudge and so forth.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

weekly font posted:

I only vaguely remember it, but I think Valentine is another one of those lame Dawson's Creek meets slasher movies.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Neumonic posted:

IT WAS ALL A DREAM

I would love to see this board's reaction to a found footage film that ended up being a dream.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I would love to see this board's reaction to a found footage film that ended up being a dream.

That, or multiple characters being all the same person.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That would own so much. Prince of Darkness features exactly this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I thought Repo: The Genetic Opera was loving garbage. Well, what I saw of it, anyway. It was so bad I couldn't even make it all the way through.

The biggest problem with Repo is that it's a musical with really loving awful music.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Daveski posted:

The biggest problem with Repo is that it's a musical with really loving awful music.

Begins and ends there.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Isn't that kind of what Mr. Jones is?

That and terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Yaws posted:

It seems like old non-American horror films were more brutal than their American counterparts. I was watching At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul the other day and it kinda shocked me that it was released in 1963.

That name rings a bell. Is it one of the Coffin Joe movies?