Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
What is the black Ooze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Oliver Reed posted:

I've only seen Audition and his Masters of Horror episode. What's worth a look? The premise of Gozu sounds promising.

In addition to what's been mentioned, the Dead or Alive series (not to be confused with the videogame movie of the same name) is one of the cornerstones of Miike's filmography, especially the first one. It's definitely one of his goofy/shocking movies, but unlike most of them (Ichi the Killer, Fudoh) he goes somewhere with it.

And you should definitely see Gozu.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think Gozu's my favorite but Ichi the Killer's definitely great too.

edit: oh, and his segment in Three Extremes is excellent

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 16, 2014

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Grendels Dad posted:

What is the black Ooze?

Going off the discussion this thread's been having? Santorum.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sethsez posted:

In addition to what's been mentioned, the Dead or Alive series (not to be confused with the videogame movie of the same name) is one of the cornerstones of Miike's filmography, especially the first one.

I'm somewhat embarrassed how long I waited to watch these because I thought they actually were based n the games and wasn't particularly enthralled with the idea of Miike's take on big titty volleyball.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sweet find this week at a pawn shop, Subspecies on BluRay for three bucks and the trilogy on DVD for a whole whopping dollar. Do I dare watch them all now or wait until October...?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gearing up for the October challenge so far I have the following:

1st: Hellraiser II: Hellbound
2nd: Saw
3rd: Hostel
4th: Pumpkinhead
5th: Puppet Master
6th: Satan's Little Helper
7th: Re-Animator
8th: Bride of Frankenstein
9th: The House of 1,000 Corpses
10th: The Devils Rejects
11th: The Invisible Man
12th: Evil Dead 2
13th: Friday the 13th (original)
14th: Suspiria
15th: The Omen
16th: The Shining
17th: Saw II and III Double feature
18th: A Nightmare on Elm Street (original)
19th: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) + The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beggining
20th: Pet Sematary
21st: Friday the 13th, Parts II-IV
22nd: House on Haunted Hill
23rd: The Descent
24th: Puppet Master, Parts II-IV
25th: The Exorcist
26th: August Underground Trilogy
27th: Killer Klowns From Outer Space
28th: Prince of Darkness
29th: Rob Zombie's Halloween
30th: The Thing
31st: John Carpenter's Halloween, Trick R' Treat double feature

Thoughts? Suggestions? I tried to even up the miss of classic and modern horror but I feel like I need more classic 40s + 50s horror and maybe a few Giallo films?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Thoughts? Suggestions? I tried to even up the miss of classic and modern horror but I feel like I need more classic 40s + 50s horror and maybe a few Giallo films?

No Lords of Salem? You're obviously a Zombie fan, what gives?

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Speaking of Miike, but not necessarily horror, Izo is a buttload of fun. Has some horrific elements, and if you're a Miike fan, you'll probably dig it. Also has a very cool soundtrack and a hefty amount of Miike weirdness.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

No Lords of Salem? You're obviously a Zombie fan, what gives?

That's a good point, I think I might combine all the Puppet Master movies into one and then add the Lords of Salem in the empty slot. I loved the Lords of Salem but for some reason it seemed a little slow and a little boring at times. It felt a little uncomplete. But you're right, I'm pretty much a sucker for anything Zombie does so it should be on the list.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Kvlt! posted:

Pretty dope list.

I probably won't have time to watch half of these while I'm working, but it's still fun to imagine one's own personal film festival:

"Thirteen Nights of Halloween"

1) Silent, But Deadly
a. Robert Wiene's The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
b. Harry Hoyt's The Lost World (1925)

2) The Power of Fear
a. Tod Browning's Freaks (1932)
b. James Whale's The Invisible Man (1933)

3) Death Is Good
a. Robert Wise and Gunther von Fritsch's Curse of the Cat People (1944)
b. Mark Robson's Isle of the Dead (1945)

4) The Invaders Within
a. Don Siegal's Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
b. William Castle's The Tingler (1959)

5) A New Kind of Horror, Pt. I
a. Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho (1960)
b. Mario Bava's Black Sunday (1960)

6) A New Kind of Horror, Pt. II
a. Kaneto Shindo's Onibaba (1964)
b. Roman Polanski's Repulsion (1965)

7) The Times They Are a-Changin'
a. Robin Hardy's The Wicker Man (1973)
b. Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

8) Theater of Cruelty
a. Jim Sharman's The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
b. Dario Argento's Suspiria (1977)

9) Who Sold the Soul?
a. Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
b. Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980)

10) Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
a. Wes Craven's Scream (1996)
b. Gus Van Sant's Psycho (1998)

11) Brightest Future in the Dark
a. Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Pulse (2001)
b. Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later (2002)

12) Salute to 2014
a. John Pogue's The Quiet Ones
b. John Erick Dowdle's As Above, So Below

13) Halloween with the Misfits
a. Edward Bernds' Return of the Fly (1959)
b. Herschell Gordon Lewis's Blood Feast (1963)
c. Silvio Narizzano's Fanatic (1965)
d. Robert Day's She (1965)
e. George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead (1968)
f. Ted V. Mikels' The Astro-Zombies (1968)
g. Brian G. Hutton's Where Eagles Dare (1968)
h. Paul Wendkos's The Mephisto Waltz (1971)
i. George Lucas's THX 1138 (1971)
j. John Carpenter's Halloween (1978)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Kvlt! posted:

If you want to include giallo films and haven't seen many, watch Deep Red around the same time you watch Saw and note the similarities.

Watch Twitch of the Death Nerve around the same time as a F13 film and note the similarities. Twitch is also a lot like La Ronde, with murder substituted for romance, if you're inclined to french art films.

The House With The Laughing Windows is just generally great and has a great soundtrack. Also it's fun to say "I'm watching some Pupi Avati tonight".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJYOsl4FtsA

You asked for films from the 40s and 50s: why not go even earlier and watch Haxan and/or The Phantom Carriage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbRThzCZoXo

Maybe some Jess Franco to change things up? The only films that are like Franco films are other Franco films. Bloody Moon fits great for a halloween themed run of films.

Your list is fine as-is of course, these are just suggestions because you asked.

EDIT -- and if you're a Rob Zombie fan, you should watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre II because that's the film Zombie has been desperately trying to remake for his whole career. Every Zombie film so far goes back to that film, except for maybe Lords of Salem which is very obviously channelling Ken Russell instead (and that's never a bad thing).

EDIT 2 -- and EVERYBODY should have Messiah of Evil on their list for October if they've never seen it. There is no excuse for that film not to be a beloved and well known horror film.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 16, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Of all the movies I think have been "rediscovered" as horror classics, I would say Messiah of Evil, Possession and Hausu are up there.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Of all the movies I think have been "rediscovered" as horror classics, I would say Messiah of Evil, Possession and Hausu are up there.

Also Race With The Devil and Day of the Beast (El día de la bestia).

Slashers that deserve to be rediscovered in my books would be The Boogeyman and Intruder (1989).

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

K. Waste posted:

I probably won't have time to watch half of these while I'm working, but it's still fun to imagine one's own personal film festival:

"Thirteen Nights of Halloween"

13) Halloween with the Misfits
a. Edward Bernds' Return of the Fly (1959)
b. Herschell Gordon Lewis's Blood Feast (1963)
c. Silvio Narizzano's Fanatic (1965)
d. Robert Day's She (1965)
e. George A. Romero's Night of the Living Dead (1968)
f. Ted V. Mikels' The Astro-Zombies (1968)
g. Brian G. Hutton's Where Eagles Dare (1968)
h. Paul Wendkos's The Mephisto Waltz (1971)
i. George Lucas's THX 1138 (1971)
j. John Carpenter's Halloween (1978)

Pretty dope film festival all around, but this one really made me smile.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

InfiniteZero posted:

You asked for films from the 40s and 50s: why not go even earlier and watch Haxan and/or The Phantom Carriage?

Crap-o-la, how did I forget about Haxan? That movie is just so superb in so many ways. Are there any other good examples of horror documentary (not faux-documentary or found footage)?

kjetting posted:

Pretty dope film festival all around, but this one really made me smile.

Gracias. Someone pointed out to me that it's missing The Crimson Ghost, Monster from Green Hell, and The Misfits, but I tried keeping myself to 16-hours.

Turns out Bloody Moon is on YouTube, which itself led me to remember Alice, Sweet Alice, a.k.a. Communion, a movie that scares the poo poo out of me to the extent that I've never watched it all the way through.

Also, if anyone's looking for a really 'feel bad' horror movie, I highly recommend Agusti Villaronga's In a Glass Cage.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

InfiniteZero posted:

Also Race With The Devil and Day of the Beast (El día de la bestia).

Slashers that deserve to be rediscovered in my books would be The Boogeyman and Intruder (1989).

Oh yeah, Intruder got that splashy Blu-Ray released a couple years back. I would also say Equinox is one of those movies, too.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does Intruder really need to be rediscovered? It's about as well-known as all those other "rediscovered" movies (with the exception of Hausu, which got some semi-mainstream recognition by being a Criterion).

Also, Where Eagles Dare isn't a horror movie, so I would totally sub one of the others in for it on the Misfits list.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Does Intruder really need to be rediscovered?
Yes, because if you approach a person who only casually watches horror films, she will probably know about Friday the 13th, Army of Darkness, and maybe even Suspiria, but chances are not likely she will know Intruder.

I'm not talking about fans or 90% of the readers of this thread, although you don't see Intruder popping up in these lists very often either.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Also, Where Eagles Dare isn't a horror movie, so I would totally sub one of the others in for it on the Misfits list.

Hell, It's two-and-a-half hours, so I could easily sub in both The Crimson Bat and Monsters from Green Hell.

But, that being said, I ain't no God drat son of a bitch. (You better think about it, Salt Cures Ham.)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I would also say Equinox is one of those movies, too.

Whenever I read that movie's title, I hear the voice and echo from the trailer.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

The Balm posted:

Speaking of Miike, but not necessarily horror, Izo is a buttload of fun. Has some horrific elements, and if you're a Miike fan, you'll probably dig it. Also has a very cool soundtrack and a hefty amount of Miike weirdness.

Izo is one of my favorites, and seems generally underrated by almost everyone, but this ^^^ is correct. Over 2 hours long, but if you're a fan, you should definitely watch it. Watching Hitokiri/Tenchu (1969) first is helpful, but not necessary.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

Yes, because if you approach a person who only casually watches horror films, she will probably know about Friday the 13th, Army of Darkness, and maybe even Suspiria, but chances are not likely she will know Intruder.

I'm not talking about fans or 90% of the readers of this thread, although you don't see Intruder popping up in these lists very often either.

Yeah, but they won't know about Messiah of Evil, Possession, Race with the Devil, or Day of the Beast either. Hausu, maybe, but again, only because of Criterion cred.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeah, but they won't know about Messiah of Evil, Possession, Race with the Devil, or Day of the Beast either. Hausu, maybe, but again, only because of Criterion cred.

So you're arguing it's not a good film? Because that's fine but I disagree.

More important:

Watched Inferno in HD over the weekend and it really shines (in vibrant glowing coloured light) in the format.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
TV, but NBC is developing an anthology series with some of the talent behind Paranormal Activity and one of the V/H/S segments.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

InfiniteZero posted:

So you're arguing it's not a good film? Because that's fine but I disagree.

What? That's a complete non-sequitur.

If you're talking about Hausu, all I was saying is that Criterion picking it up made its cult following grow pretty drastically and encompass a lot of people who otherwise couldn't give the faintest poo poo about obscure 70s J-horror. It's rad as hell, but if Criterion had never released it, it wouldn't be nearly as well-known as it is.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 16, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Coming up with an October film list was more fun than I'd expected. I limited myself to just what I already have available on physical media, and tried to aim for stuff that could, for the most part, be watched with other people. I also tried to mix in some stuff I hadn't already seen, so that I'd get some surprises along the way. Here's what I've got, though I might tinker with it some more.

1st: The Addams Family (1991)
2nd: The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
3rd: Bad Dreams (1988)
4th: Kwaidan (1964)
5th: The Dunwich Horror (1970)
6th: The Devil's Hand (1961)
7th: The Ring (2002)
8th: Marker (2005)
9th: Blood of Dracula's Castle (1969)
10th: Clownhouse (1989)
11th: Love Object (2003)
12th: I, Madman (1989)
13th: V/H/S (2012)
14th: Tesis (1996)
15th: Night of the Living Dead (1968)
16th: Kairo (2001)
17th: Psycho (1960)
18th: Dressed to Kill (1980)
19th: Sinthia: The Devil's Doll (1970)
20th: Suspiria (1977)
21st: The Evil Dead (1981)
22nd: Terrified (1963)
23rd: Scream (1996)
24th: Maniac (1980)
25th: Frankenweenie (1984)
26th: Maniac (2012)
27th: Satan's Slave, a.k.a., Evil Heritage (1976)
28th: Wolfen (1981)
29th: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
30th: The Blair Witch Project (1999)
31st: A Bucket of Blood (1959)

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
it's good tosee were doing the 30 in 30 again. Got to get going on that.

What's the name of that version of Night of the Living Dead where they dub all the dialog?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

schwenz posted:

it's good tosee were doing the 30 in 30 again. Got to get going on that.

What's the name of that version of Night of the Living Dead where they dub all the dialog?

Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Return of the...

I wonder if they're seeing the success of American Horror Story or something.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I wonder if they're seeing the success of American Horror Story or something.

Must be. It's kind of weird to see NBC hop back in the pool after Fear Itself flamed out so badly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh wait, duh, NBC: Hannibal.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Yeah, Hannibal is pretty much NBC's most popular show so I'm not surprised they're doing this.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Just finished Honeymoon and overall it was solid.

I've never seen any Argento flicks, though I'm a big fan of his daughter's movie The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things, so tonight I think I'm gonna do a double feature of Suspiria followed by Inferno.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Ooh, horror movie challenge lists! This is only my third year doing the "31 Days of October," but I really enjoy it. I try to pick movies I haven't seen yet, and I try to get most of them off of Netflix Instant, but there are a few I will just be ordering off of Netflix this year.

I don't have all 31 choices picked out yet, but here are a few:

Sleepaway Camp (somehow I have seen the sequel and third movie, but not the original)
You're Next
V/H/S/2
Maniac (2012, have not seen original)
The Woman
Absentia
Jason Goes to Hell (I know, I know, but it's the only F13 movie I haven't seen)

E:

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I've never seen any Argento flicks, though I'm a big fan of his daughter's movie The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things, so tonight I think I'm gonna do a double feature of Suspiria followed by Inferno.

Phenomena is the only Argento flick I've seen, but I thought it was pretty good.

katium fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 17, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Good motherfucking choice.

I need to see The Heart is Deceitful Above etc.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

so tonight I think I'm gonna do a double feature of Suspiria followed by Inferno.

I remember a while back someone slagged off Inferno and I defended it but never followed up on why I thought it's so good.

Basically, Inferno is The Beyond done right. It's an appropriate successor to Suspiria not only in its basic premise - of the Three Mothers covens and their haunted estates - but in the thoroughly lucid quality of the storytelling. Fulci and Argento attempted similar things with their respective films, where the emphasis was less on strict narrative logic and more on cruel imagery that would accurately replicate the inescapable and inexplicable terror of a nightmare. But while Fulci's version of this is basically just a generic exploitation movie written even more loosely (which has its own more direct, perhaps 'populist' qualities that some may prefer), Argento goes for the operatic. The production design of both films is heavily inspired not by contemporary horror movies (which Fulci was more want to do), but by Disney animated features and Hollywood musicals. You see this especially in Suspiria, which was originally written as a straight up horrific fairytale with little girls as the protagonists, except Argento discovered that this would be too difficult to achieve, so he decided to just direct his adult actresses like children through these larger-than-life set pieces.

Inferno pushes these aesthetics even further while making the color palette and production design a tad more contemporary. Even more so than Suspiria, there's no fixed protagonist or goal or ethical dilemma. The horrors of the film are totally abstract, basically representing death itself. There are several points in the film - most notably early on in the lecture hall scene - where the cinematography is disconcertingly eccentric, suggesting further that, much like many dreams, there is no fixed point-of-view, and instead only the fractured worldview of a mind trapped in a menagerie of vaguely familiar places, all haunted by an inescapable shade. The Goblin score cuts out and cuts back in jarringly, achieving an often distinctly comedic effect. It's a much more Lynchian film than Suspiria, though it's not at all referring to Lynch.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Lil Mama, you should swap Inferno for Opera or Tenebre if you have access to them. Inferno's good, but it's probably the least good out of his 70s and 80s output.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
What does Jesus Franco have against snakes? This is the second movie by his I've seen which features random acts of violence against a snake. It wasn't as bad here as it was in 99 Women, but, geez, Jesus, have a heart.

EDIT: It's Bloody Moon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Inferno is very good and deffo underrated, but it's nowhere near The Beyond, which is basically Fulci's Suspiria.

Because Oculus got me back on a kick for goofy modern horror and because I am a glutton for punishment, I'm about to throw on The Last Exorcism 2: 2 Last 2 Exorcisms.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Just finished Honeymoon and overall it was solid.

I also just watched Honeymoon. I give it a solid recommendation. Although I had a pretty decent idea of what was going on, it still held its suspense superbly.