Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Literally The Worst posted:

That's good, and dope.

Bookchat: Assuming I've read The Exorcist and Psycho, because I have, I need some horror book recs. Preferably some bleak poo poo.

Thomas Ligotti, Teatro Grotesco. Really anything by Ligotti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That's good, and dope.

Bookchat: Assuming I've read The Exorcist and Psycho, because I have, I need some horror book recs. Preferably some bleak poo poo.

House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski (though it's pretty important you have a physical copy, not on an e-reader).

The Stand by Stephen King

A lot of Lovecraft/Poe gets pretty loving bleak. Though in my experience, a lot of Lovecraft is "he looked into the room and THE HORROR OF WHAT HE SAW WAS SO VAST I CAN'T EVEN DESCRIBE IT" Which can be frustrating.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 21, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I need some horror book recs. Preferably some bleak poo poo.

Stephen King: The Shining and 'Salem's Lot

Clive Barker: Books of Blood anthologies, with particular attention to the following stories: Pig Blood Blues, Human Remains, Rawhead Rex, Midnight Meat Train. I think Dread was okay too. I have not read "The Forbidden" from which the Candyman film was derived but I intend to correct that immediately.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cthulhu's Reign is a weird and interesting book. It's about the world AFTER the Great Old Ones have returned, and the collection of short stories do not paint a pretty picture. Highly recommend, A++ would bleakly set book down and stare into the middle distance then call my parents again.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

mysterious frankie posted:

anything by Ligotti.

What he said.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
With the caveat that The Conspiracy Against The Human Race is nonfiction and lame.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

With the caveat that The Conspiracy Against The Human Race is nonfiction and lame.

It's also the one that had big chunks cut and pasted into True Detective, so if you liked all the bits with Rust talking about how lovely people are check it out I guess

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The House that October Built is pretty solid, I usually have issues with the FF movies SMG recommends but this one I gotta say I really enjoyed it; maybe due to the build-up, the characterisations, especially since they're kinda douchy upper class who look down on "backwoods" poo poo as one said. Anyways, solid flick, like a house... heh

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Thomas Ligotti, Teatro Grotesco.

Seconding this. "The Bungalow House" is some maximum bleakness.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Any gems in the Hellraisers after 3? Even if it's a hilarious turd.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Any gems in the Hellraisers after 3? Even if it's a hilarious turd.

4 is a hilarious turd.

Some people will swear up and down that 5 isn't a bad movie but I found it excruciating. It stops me dead in my tracks whenever I try and marathon the sequels.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm watching the sp-sp-sp-spooooooooooky Internet game one now and it's pretty hilarious so far.

e: the dialogue my god. Jesus wept.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah, I had to stop at 5 when a friend was showing me the movies earlier this month. He fell asleep during it and I just couldn't be bothered to try to slog through it. Apparently every film in the series from the fifth on wasn't originally written as a Hellraiser film so what's even the point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hellraiser 4 is a pretty fun movie, even if you don't like it I don't think you can say its boring. I've tried repeatedly to watch 5 and I fall asleep every time.

It Just Got Worse
Oct 30, 2012
Hellraiser: Bloodlines is sort-of funny bad, but nothing in it is quite as funny as DJ Cenobite from 3.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hellraiser 7 ("Kari Wuher, Investigative Journalist") is legit excellent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

Hellraiser 7 ("Kari Wuher, Investigative Journalist") is legit excellent.

If legit excellent means its as good as the original, then no, I can't agree with that. Kari Wuher is not good in it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

If legit excellent means its as good as the original, then no, I can't agree with that. Kari Wuher is not good in it.

Everblight posted:

Hellraiser 4 is in space. It is also set in the Victorian age. It is very bad, but does have a dreamy and very young Adam Scott in it.

Hellraiser 7:Deader is actually really good.

It probably goes:

1 > 2 > 7 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 3 > >>>>>> 8

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It Just Got Worse posted:

Hellraiser: Bloodlines is sort-of funny bad, but nothing in it is quite as funny as DJ Cenobite from 3.

Yeah, if you're in it for shlocky fun, 3 has more of that than any of the truly awful ones.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's also the one that had big chunks cut and pasted into True Detective, so if you liked all the bits with Rust talking about how lovely people are check it out I guess

I thought Eugene Thacker's In the Dust of This Planet was the main inspiration for Rust? At any rate, the book is at least somewhat relevant to a horror film thread.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

I thought Eugene Thacker's In the Dust of This Planet was the main inspiration for Rust?

Chunks of Ligotti were lifted pretty much wholesale for Rust's dialogue: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/01/30/the-most-shocking-thing-about-hbos-true-detective/

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

Chunks of Ligotti were lifted pretty much wholesale for Rust's dialogue: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/01/30/the-most-shocking-thing-about-hbos-true-detective/

Oh dang, I had no idea.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Stakeland is on Netflix and much better than your standard low budget vampire apocalypse movie. There's nothing that hasn't been done to death before, but there's barely a shot in the movie that doesn't look at least good, some scenes are downright gorgeous. Cared more about the handful characters than the entire cast of Walking Dead too.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Stakeland is on Netflix and much better than your standard low budget vampire apocalypse movie. There's nothing that hasn't been done to death before, but there's barely a shot in the movie that doesn't look at least good, some scenes are downright gorgeous. Cared more about the handful characters than the entire cast of Walking Dead too.

I saw this recently and felt it was really lame. There was some decent (though unoriginal) cinematography but no story, the characters were all without character, and it was very predictable for such a meandering movie. It felt like the maker was just imitating other popular undead survival movies with absolutely nothing new to bring to the genre. Superficially, it looks good for a low budget movie and the acting isn't terrible, but I wish I had back the time I wasted watching it.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
haunted house chat

TERROR BEHIND THE WALLS
at the eastern state prison transcends dope. If you're less than 2 hrs away you should go.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Has anyone seen Her Name Was Torment? Was it any good?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

It Just Got Worse posted:

I dunno, Adam Scott as an evil, masochistic immortal toymaker dude is pretty hysterical to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really enjoy Hellraiser:Bloodlines because its the closest we have to a Hellraiser anthology film. I always thought the franchise would have worked really well for that, didn't Barker write a collection of short stories all set in that universe? If he didn't he should have.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I really enjoy Hellraiser:Bloodlines because its the closest we have to a Hellraiser anthology film. I always thought the franchise would have worked really well for that, didn't Barker write a collection of short stories all set in that universe? If he didn't he should have.

Not exactly, but the book Hellbound Hearts is a collection of stories by various authors inspired by Hellraiser. The early Hellraiser comics were anthology works too, some of which were drat good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Not exactly, but the book Hellbound Hearts is a collection of stories by various authors inspired by Hellraiser. The early Hellraiser comics were anthology works too, some of which were drat good.

Man it must be surreal to write something and have it resonate so much with people that a bunch of other writers get together and create a short story collection all set in a universe you created. I wonder how Lovecraft would have reacted to that, he didn't get a chance to see all the crazy poo poo that's been done based on his work.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hellworld was hilarious and completely nonsensical. Highly recommended.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The old Hellraiser comics were in an anthology format. I have a couple of the trades and they're not bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Man it must be surreal to write something and have it resonate so much with people that a bunch of other writers get together and create a short story collection all set in a universe you created. I wonder how Lovecraft would have reacted to that, he didn't get a chance to see all the crazy poo poo that's been done based on his work.

Boinks posted:

The old Hellraiser comics were in an anthology format. I have a couple of the trades and they're not bad.

The Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean Hellraiser story is one of the best things in either of their careers.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean Hellraiser story is one of the best things in either of their careers.

That's saying a lot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

That's saying a lot.

i mean i should prbably preface that i find Neil Gaiman very hit or miss. Dave Mckean does some especially good work on that story though, his stuff can be truly skin-crawling when he goes for pure horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel the same. Maybe I should take a look at that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel the same. Maybe I should take a look at that.

the title of the story is Wordsworth and it was published in issue #20 ( i think) of the original Hellraiser comic series.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I have a bunch of those original hellraiser comics. There are duds of course (and strangely enough I'm including Barker's own entries in that category) but there are some really good stories too. Plenty to pull from if they want to try an anthology movie.

I haven't read them in decades but I remember two themes that happened a lot were that there were different kinds of puzzles that could be solved to open gateways (playing sheet music written in blood, navigating the hallways of a building in a particular way, etc.), and there was also a lot of dealmaking with the cenobites, deal-with-the-devil kinda things, which of course never worked out in the person's favor.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This reminds me, it's not 100% horror at all though it does have some scary elements, but McKean's Luna is easily the most beautiful film I've seen all year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoMayGTMp7U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Aw, man, Wrong Turn 6 was completely awful :( This series has always been my go-to DTV horror series because they always have at least a couple hilarious kills and are just so watchable for some reason. This new one added a ridiculous culty backstory to the inbred hillbillies and the kills were bad and not memorable. The effects were easily the worst of the entire series. At times the movie was more like a late night Cinemax softcore than a horror movie. I did end up liking the ending, it was a pretty good twist on the typical Wrong Turn "no hope" ending without seeming overly cruel like the ending of Wrong Turn 5. Anyway, if you're a fan of the Wrong Turn series I'd advise you to steer clear of this entry.