Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ariza posted:

I liked Zombieland. I don't know if it was good and I think the pacing was off in some places, but I enjoyed it for what it was. It was a lot of fun to see in a loud packed movie theater.
That's because Zombieland is a failed TV pilot with some other stuff attached to it. Really, watch the movie again with that in mind. There is a clear first episode ending just around the 43 minute mark when the TV pilot would have ended.

The stuff attached to it is pretty good though. But it's all very much dependent on the big cameo and Woody Harrelson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zombieland is carried by the principal cast in general. All four of the leads do very solid work.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It's a great cast, but I do think that second half is pretty weak from a plot standpoint. Our hero already receives a more nuanced catharsis when the pilot ends and he learns to live. I didn't need him to learn how to be a hero.

But who gives a poo poo because (HUGE SPOILER) Billy Murray and Woody Harrelson hanging off of one of those spinning swing rides while gunning down zombies.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My fading memory of Zombieland is that it wasn't as fun as I was expecting.

Hooray to a subjective viewer experience, y'all!

But I will reiterate, LIFE AFTER BETH is the best zombie film of the past five years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's a great cast, but I do think that second half is pretty weak from a plot standpoint.

i'll definitely agree with that. the whole theme park climax relies on Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin's characters making hugely idiotic decisions for no reason.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zombieland did come out about a month after Pontypool so it counts, but I didn't really think it was all that great.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I was gonna say zombie strippers but its six years old. Curses

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
off topic, but Pontypool and Feast would make a good double feature.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

schwenz posted:

off topic, but Pontypool and Feast would make a good double feature.

You mean Feast and Slither

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Have you guys seen Juan of the Dead?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's because Zombieland is a failed TV pilot with some other stuff attached to it. Really, watch the movie again with that in mind. There is a clear first episode ending just around the 43 minute mark when the TV pilot would have ended.

The stuff attached to it is pretty good though. But it's all very much dependent on the big cameo and Woody Harrelson.

That makes so much sense and explains the problems I had with it. Didn't they end up making a TV show on some weird network? Was that any good? I assume the cast has better poo poo to do since they're all moderately famous now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Little_wh0re posted:

I was gonna say zombie strippers but its six years old. Curses

Cockneys Versus Zombies. :colbert:

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

Not even nearly close to Juan of the Dead.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

I tried to watch that once but I couldn't unroll my eyes long enough to look at the screen.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Robawesome posted:

You mean Feast and Slither

ooooh.
I wonder if Gunn will ever return to insane horror.
Was The Ghouls any good?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Ariza posted:

That makes so much sense and explains the problems I had with it. Didn't they end up making a TV show on some weird network? Was that any good? I assume the cast has better poo poo to do since they're all moderately famous now.

I think it was made for Amazon you could probably find the pilot pretty easily, it wasn't great but had potential
from what I remember.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw The Babadook a little while ago and that was loving terrifying. I very rarely get scared by most modern horror movies, but that one was just creepy as poo poo. Very well done, and I won't be sleeping tonight.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Zombie Chat: Okay, Life After Beth was loving great.

1. life After Beth
2. Juan of the Dead

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Skywalker OG posted:

I have, it rules.

Edit: haven't seen Life After Beth yet, but it's on my list. I thought The Dead was pretty but boring as poo poo.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 24, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Skywalker OG posted:

I'm pretty burned out on zombie stuff but adored this.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hey if any of you are into found footage I put up this short (30 min) film about a couple during hurricane sandy. The footage is real and shows just how willing people are to film during danger. It gets pretty intense!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcp8AfJW-mY

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skywalker OG posted:

I honestly find it surprising that a regime that still arrests dissidents actually funded a movie that so openly mocks the politics of Cuba.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Laying aside zombies for the moment, has anyone seen A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night? It was at a recent film festival, but I didn't get to see it; I wanted to because I was interested in the concept of a vampire in Iran. Is it any good?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Skywalker OG posted:

Zombie Chat: Okay, Life After Beth was loving great.

1. life After Beth
2. Juan of the Dead

Okay, someone else has seen "Life After Beth", so I will elaborate.

My gripe with zombie films (and zombie-related media) is just that the majority of films are recycled garbage at this point. It's rare that a film does anything with the genre that is interesting. "Life After Beth" does this, mostly by being a zombie film that doesn't adhere to zombies as we understand them. While people are rising from the dead all over the place, the main focus never strays far from the central two characters. Of course, this film is a thinly veiled allegory of the difficulties of getting over a relationship, as the process is similar to grieving the death of someone. Of course, my memory is a bit spotty, as I watched it three or four months ago.

On the other end of the spectrum, the two worst zombie films I have seen, have been "The Zombinator" and "Die-ner (Get It?)". "The Zombinator" features a guy who looks like a terrible Arnie (at one point in the film, someone asks if he is The Terminator). It is also a found footage film, but drops that aspect about halfway through the film, as the cameramen get shots that would be impossible without the "bad guys" seeing them. For example, the "bad guys" arrive in a small bathroom to find one of the survivors, and the cameraman hides behind a corner in the small bathroom. The film never establishes how many cameras they have either, so there's scenes with three different perspectives. They also have a boom mic guy, who I believe leaves the film, by getting fed up with what's going on.

"Die-ner (Get It?)" was watched because of its title. I have no memory of watching the film, but I have established a rule that I will never watch a Netflix film I have never heard of because of its title or poster.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'd like some more movies where sadness/sorrow play a big part of the story, or character's who are very sad. Think like Lovely Molly or The Babadook

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kvlt! posted:

I'd like some more movies where sadness/sorrow play a big part of the story, or character's who are very sad. Think like Lovely Molly or The Babadook

Lake Mungo Lake Mungo Lake Mungo

Neumonic
Sep 25, 2003

This is my serious face.

Kvlt! posted:

Devoured is really good, kind of a downer though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Babadook was really, really well done. I hope the director keeps working in the horror genre because I want to see more of it. I also want that drat replica of the book.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Kvlt! posted:

Everything from the '70s but mostly Don't Look Now. (And, obviously, The Exorcist is like one of the saddest movies ever made)

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Personal favorite melancholic horror movies: Antichrist, Martin, Eyes Without a Face, The Fly. I don't think a lot of people will walk away with the same feeling but I was honestly more sad watching Jacob's Ladder than I was "scared."

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
I found Mama to be really heartbreaking throughout the entire film.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Possession.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
The Devil's Backbone is a great melancholy ghost story.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

The Ring, The Changeling
, the descent, Donnie Darko

Can we just call Requiem For a Dream what it is? a horror movie

Certain ones with the original endings intact. I was reading that the alt ending to The Butterfly Effect he gies back to the womb and strangles himself with his own umbilical chord. that's bleak.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If Donnie Darko is a horror movie, The Room is a horror movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

HaroldofTheRock posted:

As did I.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

Vinyan is about two sad parents trying to find their lost child in Thailand. Antichrist is about two sad parents mourning their dead child. Absentia deals with a woman being pretty sad about her disappeared husband. Citadel is about a guy both mourning his wife and trying to save his child from hobos. A giant amount of We Need To Talk About Kevin features Tilda Swinton being sad on a couch and at work.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I know Pumpkinhead was supposed to be about revenge, but I found it quite sad. Seconding Citadel; I hadn't heard of it until I saw it on Netflix, but it's quite a gem IMO.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I liked Citadel as I was watching it and it's got a great atmosphere to it, but it seems to present an idea of the poor/homeless as being scary, violent animals in a way I'm uncomfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Mama is so good.