Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched The Fly but I was disappointed by how little Vincent Price there actually was. He's not really the main character. Still a great movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I watched The Fly but I was disappointed by how little Vincent Price there actually was. He's not really the main character. Still a great movie though.

Return of the Fly has more Vincent Price, and that's probably the reason it's in those Price blu ray sets but the first one isn't (yet).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

They were in a relationship for 14 years and he wrecked her career after it ended.

Anymore details on that? Hahaha.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Why do I insist on watching things that this thread universally reviles? Megan is Missing is abysmal and made me uncomfortable, not because it was affecting at all, but because I felt like I was watching the director play out his fetishes onscreen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm glad someone else suffered through MIM.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't think I've ever felt quite so sick after seeing a movie, and Harmony Korine is one of my favourite directors.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's kinda like the Ring, where you have to pass on your self-loathing to someone else.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Why do I insist on watching things that this thread universally reviles?

That seems to be a thing in CD and I don't really get it. I tend to not watch things that look bad to me because I usually struggle to get around to watching even movies I know I'll like.

Except when it comes to Netflix, then anything goes, and I'll tend to watch lovely movies or movies that I've already seen. So maybe I have a problem too, in my own way. I'm still never going to watch MIM though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

That seems to be a thing in CD and I don't really get it. I tend to not watch things that look bad to me because I usually struggle to get around to watching even movies I know I'll like.

Except when it comes to Netflix, then anything goes, and I'll tend to watch lovely movies or movies that I've already seen. So maybe I have a problem too, in my own way. I'm still never going to watch MIM though.

I don't know if it's a CD thing but it's like a car accident - I just have to know what's so bad about it and sometimes I'll like a thing that lots of others didn't. I wish I hadn't in this case though, because everyone is right about MIM.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The thing about MIM is that its actually boring as hell for the most part. When I hear people criticize a movie for being hateful or mean-spirited or disgusting or disturbing I tend to ignore it, but in this case its all those things while also being a total snoozer. That's a rare combination.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's much less dull than those Toetag movies, which are also repulsive.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Sire Oblivion posted:

Anymore details on that? Hahaha.

He engineered some kind of bullshit deal with a studio that supposedly would allow her to remain in the business as a producer or something. Turns out it was all a bunch of crap; she sued him & the studio (Warner Bros? Universal?) after having every project rejected. Eastwood & the studio both settled for undisclosed amounts, but I think it was pretty hefty. They got caught in violation of the Fair Trade Act or something. This along with him fathering a few children by other women while they were married (and having told her he wasn't father material so he didn't want kids with her) pretty much paints a lovely picture of Eastwood as a person.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It's much less dull than those Toetag movies, which are also repulsive.

I disagree. Say what you want about Toetag, but they're pretty drat good at practical sfx. When you watch their movies you're basically just watching an fx showcase, or if you're a gore-hound you're getting what you pay for.

Megan is Missing is just boring.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh, the effects are flawless but there is so little incident in any one of those movies you could easily fall asleep watching one. I kind of like it, the aesthetic is serial killer home movies, after all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh, the effects are flawless but there is so little incident in any one of those movies you could easily fall asleep watching one. I kind of like it, the aesthetic is serial killer home movies, after all.

I can see that. I think it all depends on personal preference really. There's definitely no plot or kind of climax to those movies they just kinda go on and then stop. I like them, but I can see how they could get dull.

Megan is Missing, with a few exceptions, didn't really have any action to it. It was more boring to me than Toetag films, but to each their own.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

C2C - 2.0 posted:

He engineered some kind of bullshit deal with a studio that supposedly would allow her to remain in the business as a producer or something. Turns out it was all a bunch of crap; she sued him & the studio (Warner Bros? Universal?) after having every project rejected. Eastwood & the studio both settled for undisclosed amounts, but I think it was pretty hefty. They got caught in violation of the Fair Trade Act or something. This along with him fathering a few children by other women while they were married (and having told her he wasn't father material so he didn't want kids with her) pretty much paints a lovely picture of Eastwood as a person.

Minor pedant - they were never married. He did have two children with another woman while he was living with Locke, though.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Minor pedant - they were never married. He did have two children with another woman while he was living with Locke, though.

Oh, I know. Still, even outside the confines of traditional marriage, it's kind of a dick-move to live with someone but tell them you don't want kids because of your schedule/lifestyle...while secretly siring a couple of children with another woman.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

The thing about MIM is that its actually boring as hell for the most part. When I hear people criticize a movie for being hateful or mean-spirited or disgusting or disturbing I tend to ignore it, but in this case its all those things while also being a total snoozer. That's a rare combination.

To me it just feels so painfully inauthentic, and the two girls are atrocious at acting, or at least can't make this awful script work. They don't talk or act like human beings in the slightest.

Some of the peripheral characters are okay but the fake newscasts (complete with 'clever' news crawl of nothing but hot takes at the bottom of the screen) and setups just seem tremendously fake. Even when Amy is locked in the cell half-assedly yelling 'you're crazy' I was simultaneously rolling my eyes and vomiting inside my mouth because there is zero doubt in my mind that the director jacked it to the b-roll in this thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Megan Is Missing should have been a 1:1 adaptation of the game Mario Is Missing but with a girl named Megan instead of Mario.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Watching 'The Omen' with someone who's never seen it before & doesn't know what it's about is pretty cool.

"Does Damien have autism?"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Went through the Maniac Cop trilogy this week, that was a disappointing descent in quality. Good demonstration of how to get your money's worth out of scenes by reusing them in every sequel, though. Does anyone know the specifics for why Lustig walked off the set of the third one?
Didn't have my fill of trash from that, so I also went through the first two Killjoy movies, which turned out to be garbage even by Full Moon standards. Who'd have thought that a half-assed combination of Freddy Kreuger and the Joker stapled into a voodoo origin wouldn't go well?
Positive surprise from Scream Bloody Murder (1973, not the 1974 one). Just a guy going kill-crazy for most of it, but then it turns into a captive-captor relationship thing, with Angus Scrimm in a minor role. Main actress, Leigh Mitchell, only has one other credit to her name on IMDb (The Incredible Melting Man) but did a stand-out job with the material.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Ah, Megan is Missing! Is that still on netflix?!

One of the few movies to make me actually feel sick. There was like a chain of posts about it ages back, and it pretty much went:

Poster 1: guys, seriously, don't watch this
Poster 2: gently caress you it can't be that bad
*90 minutes later*
Poster 2: you're right. I hate you. I hate myself.

on repeat. It's either that or Deadgirl that I mentioned once and someone watched out of curiosity and declared their hatred for me. Sorry, person :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Christ almighty that's hosed.

Speaking about Megan is Missing I watched it with my friend a couple weeks ago and she's a social services worker working with kids and she told she's worked with kids that have gone through similar and man that made the movie even worse.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just finished Monsters and thought it was allright, nothing super special but not awful. Currently watching the sequel, will give thoughts when I finish it.
EDIT: Soooo I just finished the sequel and hooooly crap they really upped the ante. It went pretty heavy into the horrors of war pretty fast, and ended up with an apocalyptic scenario, I am kinda hoping for a third "Monsters" movie to explain what the gently caress I was seeing at the end of this one.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 29, 2015

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Fisk and Spacek also helped Lynch get Eraserhead made; in addition to lending Lynch money, Fisk was The Man in the Planet and Spacek literally held the slate during shooting sometimes.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Criminal Minded posted:

Fisk and Spacek also helped Lynch get Eraserhead made; in addition to lending Lynch money, Fisk was The Man in the Planet and Spacek literally held the slate during shooting sometimes.

Yeah, Spacek was in a film with Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman one year (PRIME CUT), then literally painting walls for Brian De Palma (PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE), helping out David Lynch behind the scenes to make one of the most badass films ever, and then doing menial jobs for other independent productions at the same time, oh and in between made a film with Terence Malick.

When you hear about the egos on some actors and movie makers who have no real reason to act like entitled assholes but still act like babies, you always have to remember that people like Spacek also exist.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 29, 2015

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'm so happy I finally watched Prime Cut last year.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

i realy didnt like it. fast forwarded through the really bad scenes, fast forwarded through part of the end to see if anything would change but nope

i dont expect happy endings in my horror films but it just kinda felt miserable and not fun. horror films arent supposed to be happy, blah blah, but they should at least be interesting and garner more of a response than "well," from the viewer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

I'm so happy I finally watched Prime Cut last year.

Prime Cut owns so much.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
The answer to this thread title is Cannibal Ferox/Make Them Die Slowly btw. So much hateful castration.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dreadwroth posted:

Just finished Monsters and thought it was allright, nothing super special but not awful. Currently watching the sequel, will give thoughts when I finish it.
EDIT: Soooo I just finished the sequel and hooooly crap they really upped the ante. It went pretty heavy into the horrors of war pretty fast, and ended up with an apocalyptic scenario, I am kinda hoping for a third "Monsters" movie to explain what the gently caress I was seeing at the end of this one.

I really liked the second film and I think I need to give the first a rewatch, it didn't win me over but going into it I expected different from what the films were going for. I think I'll enjoy the first more now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
A double bill of 'Megan is Missing' and 'The Poughkeepsie Tapes' would be great if you hated yourself.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Is Poughkeepsie Tapes remotely watchable? The only thing I know about it is that scene where the killer has a mask on top of his head and crawls around like a monkey or something and it looked pretty freaky.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I saw Human Centipede 3 last night. It was awful. Highlights include:
- A guy cutting out another guy's testicles with a knife. Everything is shown. He says he will eat them medium rare, and then does.
- A guy cuts a hole in another guy's liver, then fucks the hole. Then cums.
- A guy shoves a finger into a girl's vagina, then wipes it all over his face. Later, a close-up of the girl's rear end is shown, dripping with sweat, and the foley guys make a "squish" sound when she walks.
- A guy suffers waterboarding torture with boiling water.
- A guy eats a jar of the leftovers of female circumcision.
- A guy shoots a dude in the colostomy bag.
- A girl is beaten up while another guy masturbates.
- The same girl is raped while unconscious in the hospital after the beating, the guy says that roughed up girls make him horny.
- The same girl is forced to suck off a guy, then the guy squeezes her neck with his legs until she swallows his seed.

Tom Six or whatever is also a hipster douchebag who shows up with a fedora, and talks about how his movies are high art.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Is Poughkeepsie Tapes remotely watchable? The only thing I know about it is that scene where the killer has a mask on top of his head and crawls around like a monkey or something and it looked pretty freaky.

It is very atmospheric and uses VHS distortion to really good effect. But it's effect applied toward pure transgression of human feeling. It's totally sympathetic with the serial killer in that he appears superhuman and unstoppable but also cool and controlled while the police come off as slow, thoughtless, and pedestrian. A lot of the specific details are recreations of things real serial killers have done or described fantasizing about.

If you're interested in brutality, that's about all it offers unless somebody has a reading beyond the usual politics-of-punk gorehound justification. Of if you're into that, go for it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Firstborn posted:

I saw Human Centipede 3 last night. It was awful. Highlights include:
- A guy cutting out another guy's testicles with a knife. Everything is shown. He says he will eat them medium rare, and then does.
- A guy cuts a hole in another guy's liver, then fucks the hole. Then cums.
- A guy shoves a finger into a girl's vagina, then wipes it all over his face. Later, a close-up of the girl's rear end is shown, dripping with sweat, and the foley guys make a "squish" sound when she walks.
- A guy suffers waterboarding torture with boiling water.
- A guy eats a jar of the leftovers of female circumcision.
- A guy shoots a dude in the colostomy bag.
- A girl is beaten up while another guy masturbates.
- The same girl is raped while unconscious in the hospital after the beating, the guy says that roughed up girls make him horny.
- The same girl is forced to suck off a guy, then the guy squeezes her neck with his legs until she swallows his seed.

Tom Six or whatever is also a hipster douchebag who shows up with a fedora, and talks about how his movies are high art.
Is there a human centipede?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Timeless Appeal posted:

Is there a human centipede?

Yes

a 500 man centipede as well as a "Human Slug" created from death row inmates who have their limbs removed before being connected together

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

King Vidiot posted:

That scene is the best part and the rest is a lovely slog.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There are people who will suggest The Poughkeepsie Tapes is a great movie and you'll quickly find out they have no taste in anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It's creepy, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it good. I confuse it with Behind the Mask in my head a lot, but I think BTM is better.