Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Basebf555 posted:

I think this year I'm going to finally, once and for all, add Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror to my anthology collection. Sadly its never been released on blu ray but I'm willing in this case to make a rare DVD purchase.

I have not seen that. But might as well watch that with a double feature with Tales from the Hood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Tales from the Hood is like 50x better. Watch it 2nd if you haven't seen it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Parachute posted:

Yeah, absolutely.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

LtKen/Hundu, have either of you read the "new" Shirley Jackson collection? If it's anything but random garbage she binned I'm tempted to let it jump to the top of my pile

no, but then i still haven't read We Have Always Lived in the Castle either.

also would like to second Tales From the Hood being legit awesome.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

On the topic of straight up anti-capitalist horror Bloody-Disgusting reports that there's going to be a US remake of Black Mirror. Any bets as to what they'll figure out to make the enemy for US audiences? These damned kids and their cell phones?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

Hood of Horror isn't as "good" but I feel its more fun. Snoop as the Cryptkeeper character is great and the stories are over the top in a good way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skyscraper posted:

On the topic of straight up anti-capitalist horror Bloody-Disgusting reports that there's going to be a US remake of Black Mirror. Any bets as to what they'll figure out to make the enemy for US audiences? These damned kids and their cell phones?

Like half the Black Mirror episodes are already about cellphones so probably.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Like half the Black Mirror episodes are already about cellphones so probably.

Eh, they feature prominently, but I think they're just there for Charlie to sneer at briefly without being the actual, uh, villains? of the story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Wait, is Black Mirror a serial? I thought it was just a Twilight Zone-style anthology.

e: oh okay Charlie Brooker is the showrunner, nevermind.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Parachute posted:

It's also one of the best anthology films.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's also one of the best anthology films.

absolutely. up there with Creepshow, Dead of Night, Black Sabbath, and the original Tales From the Crypt.

this all reminds me, i still need to see Kwaidan.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
I'm partial to Asylum and Torture Garden has a great cast.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 3, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

absolutely. up there with Creepshow, Dead of Night, Black Sabbath, and the original Tales From the Crypt.

I'd be curious to see what you thought of Kwadian.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'd be curious to see what you thought of Kwadian.

apparently Criterion's putting out the never-released-in-america 3 hour cut on blu ray soon, so i'm waitin for that.

i also wanna read the book it's based on by the awesomely named Lafcadio Hearn.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

apparently Criterion's putting out the never-released-in-america 3 hour cut on blu ray soon, so i'm waitin for that.

i also wanna read the book it's based on by the awesomely named Lafcadio Hearn.

I discovered last night that i own it but i have no recollection of buying it? I only recognized it because that name is unforgettable.

edit: turns out I own a different book of Japanese ghost stories by Lafcadio Hearn, and the movie is based on one that's actually called "Kwaidan".I guess he wrote several.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

no, but then i still haven't read We Have Always Lived in the Castle either.

also would like to second Tales From the Hood being legit awesome.

Get thee (back) to the library

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 3, 2015

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Skyscraper posted:

I really hate Black Mirror. Am I the only one? Every episode just made me go "Christ that's dumb."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Get thee (back) to the library

maybe i'll read it this week, it looks like the kind of book you could blow through in an afternoon (i think i read all or most of the Haunting in one night, such an incredible book).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo Kwadian is anthology? I'd have just blind-bought it a long time ago if I knew that. I guess I need to make a point to see it ASAP.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Holy poo poo Kwadian is anthology? I'd have just blind-bought it a long time ago if I knew that. I guess I need to make a point to see it ASAP.

i'm also given to understand that the best segment of my other favorite anthology movie, Tales From the Darkside, is based off one of the stories from Kwaidan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

maybe i'll read it this week, it looks like the kind of book you could blow through in an afternoon (i think i read all or most of the Haunting in one night, such an incredible book).

WHALITC is a bit tougher. It's a great book, though, probably better than The Haunting of Hill House if not as approachable.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I haven't seen those two, so I'll have to check them out. My friend's father worked on the original Tales from the Crypt film, poo poo owns.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

A Nightmare on Elm Street just got added to Netflix Instant, so I rewatched the first kill scene again. Goddamn if that isn't one of my favorite scenes in horror. I feel like Craven doesn't quite get his due as a horror director, because he did some incredible stuff between that, Serpent & The Rainbow, and People Under The Stairs, not to mention his other more well-known movies.

That framing is seriously Really Good poo poo.

This is from a while back, but I can't believe I never noticed until now that the two peacocks visually mirror Freddy's gloves.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sethsez posted:

This is from a while back, but I can't believe I never noticed until now that the two peacocks visually mirror Freddy's gloves.

Freddy only has one glove, so no, they don't.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

You forgot the Power Glove.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion

TheJoker138 posted:

no glove, no love sweetheart.....:bigtran:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Well, thanks to a re-watch of Cronenberg's SHIVERS, I'm probably going to have dreams about parasite sex zombies tonight.

I don't understand why I do this to myself. I am compelled to binge watch Lynch and Cronenberg. Doing this with either one can be really hazardous to your sleep/dream patterns.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

InfiniteZero posted:

Well, thanks to a re-watch of Cronenberg's SHIVERS, I'm probably going to have dreams about parasite sex zombies tonight.

I don't understand why I do this to myself. I am compelled to binge watch Lynch and Cronenberg. Doing this with either one can be really hazardous to your sleep/dream patterns.

God, I did that two years ago and while what I remember of those two years were rad, I think I may have broken something in my brain.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

TheJoker138 posted:

That's what I get for trying to think after not sleeping for 30 hours.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well, you could've had a nightmare and gotten killed by Freddy so I think you chose the lesser of two evils.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
I watched The Fly a few days ago, and it was easily the best Cronenberg I've seen so far. The saddest film about love and mental/bodily disintegration I've ever watched. The special effects were great(the final transformation of Brundlefly was viscerally disturbing) and the performances were amazing. I thought that Goldblum was overrated, but he is pretty much flawless here. loving insect politics.

The greatest body horror flick I've seen. If it was actually any scary, it would be in my top 3 horror films period.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really do love how sad and affecting The Fly is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neurophage posted:

I watched The Fly a few days ago, and it was easily the best Cronenberg I've seen so far. The saddest film about love and mental/bodily disintegration I've ever watched. The special effects were great(the final transformation of Brundlefly was viscerally disturbing) and the performances were amazing. I thought that Goldblum was overrated, but he is pretty much flawless here. loving insect politics.

The greatest body horror flick I've seen. If it was actually any scary, it would be in my top 3 horror films period.

One thing of many that I love about The Fly is how they treat the ex-boyfriend character. He's a jerk and you spend the whole film thinking he's an rear end in a top hat, and at first when he gets his hand melted off its like a "hell yea!" moment. Then the final transformation happens and its so horrific that the ex-boyfriend instantly transforms into the hero of the movie because he won't loving give up and ends up saving the day.

The music during the final scene is really great too, it adds a ton of emotion to it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i recently came to the conclusion that the two best body horror films (or maybe I should say "the ultimate body horror films") are The Fly by David Cronenberg and Safe by Todd Haynes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Safe, like the rest of Todd Haynes filmography, is extremely good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen anything else by him, but I just watched Safe like a month ago and was completely blown away. maybe my new favorite Julianne Moore performance, although that's a crowded field.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

I really do love how sad and affecting The Fly is.

"I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it. But now the dream is over and the insect is awake." drat.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i recently came to the conclusion that the two best body horror films (or maybe I should say "the ultimate body horror films") are The Fly by David Cronenberg and Safe by Todd Haynes.

Hellraiser is also pretty high on that list but it's too campy to be really disturbing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neurophage posted:

Hellraiser is also pretty high on that list but it's too campy to be really disturbing.

despite Hellraiser being in my all-time top 10 in any genre, I always forget about it in the body horror discussion, despite it clearly being a preeminent example. I guess I always think of it as more... I dunno, spirit-horror?

The Exorcist is another one like that. Body & Soul Horror.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neurophage posted:

Frank's reformation in the attic is probably my favorite special effects sequence of all-time, but overall there isn't a ton of body horror in Hellraiser. At least compared to something like The Fly, which is just relentless once it gets going.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Exorcist and The Fly are my top two Vomit Horror films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Frank's reformation in the attic is probably my favorite special effects sequence of all-time, but overall there isn't a ton of body horror in Hellraiser. At least compared to something like The Fly, which is just relentless once it gets going.

the very appearance of the cenobites is kind of a watershed moment in body horror (and horror in general - and, I would argue, in film in general)