Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the very appearance of the cenobites is kind of a watershed moment in body horror (and horror in general - and, I would argue, in film in general)

Maybe, but they hardly even appear in the movie. There's a lot more cenobite action in Hellbound, plus it has the scene with the mattress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the very appearance of the cenobites is kind of a watershed moment in body horror (and horror in general - and, I would argue, in film in general)

I'm calling your bluff. Why film in general? Is it the beginning of the new era of erotic horror?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm calling your bluff. Why film in general? Is it the beginning of the new era of erotic horror?

i mean, i'm a big proponent of any film that can show the viewing audience something that no one, anywhere has ever seen before. the Cenobites in Hellraiser are definitely that. the closest prior analogue i can think of is the bad guys in The Road Warrior, but The Cenobites are still several notches more extreme than that. and like the original Mad Max, it was a pretty massive budget-to-profit success (about 15 mil on a 1 mil budget), especially for a movie that at its core is so fringe. there's also the fact that Pinhead was really the last horror villain* to permeate the mainstream pop-culture consciousness the same way that, say, Freddy or Jason did. people that have maybe never watched a horror movie recognize that image. and it hit on kind of a cultural flashpoint too, coming at the end of the '80s right before piercing/body mod culture started to really have its moment in the sun in the early '90s.

*except Hannibal Lecter, but he was much closer to the mainstream to begin with, to the point that some will argue he's not even a horror villain

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What about Bag'hoole the Demon?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What about Bag'hoole the Demon?

he's alright i guess. i prefer Ethan Hawke, if i'm being honest.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess maybe it doesn't count because its not any one specific character but Ghostface was incredibly popular during the Scream years.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I guess maybe it doesn't count because its not any one specific character but Ghostface was incredibly popular during the Scream years.

even at its peak, i don't think Ghostface was 1/10 the icon Freddy, Jason or even Pinhead was. Chucky had more mainstream recognition and i don't even think he really rates.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

even at its peak, i don't think Ghostface was 1/10 the icon Freddy, Jason or even Pinhead was. Chucky had more mainstream recognition and i don't even think he really rates.

They still have Ghostface masks in every drat store every Halloween. Shut the gently caress up.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
You're both right!

Also, Michael Myers has to be just behind Freddy and Jason in the recognizable slasher villains category, maybe eeking out past Chucky.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Exorcist and The Fly are my top two Vomit Horror films

Doesn't Dead Alive have a vomit scene? Because that would round out a good top 3.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

They still have Ghostface masks in every drat store every Halloween. Shut the gently caress up.

you need a nap.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was around for Scream's peak and I think he occupied some mindshare and probably more than at least Pinhead and maybe Chucky in that specific time around the first and second movies. Probably not since then though, and anyone that remotely thinks that he's on the level of Freddy or Jason or even Leatherface is high.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ghostface being intentionally generic probably didn't help.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Doesn't Dead Alive have a vomit scene? Because that would round out a good top 3.

Drag Me to Hell has a tremendous vomit scene.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Witches of Eastwick had a vomit scene, and they built an animatronic of the actress to really make it vile and over-the-top. It tested so badly they dropped it. More proof that George Miller is the best at whatever he puts his mind to.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

That was going to be my runner-up if I was wrong about Dead Alive. I haven't seen that movie since it was released, but I remember the vomit very clearly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I mean, it's ok. It's not very well-done CG, though. It would have looked about 100 times better if it was practical puke.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, it's ok. It's not very well-done CG, though. It would have looked about 100 times better if it was practical puke.

I don't mind the CG in Drag Me to Hell because it kinda fits with the whole Bugs Bunny cartoon thing it has going on.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lurdiak posted:

Practical Puke would be a pretty good band name.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

What is wrong with you? Like not only does this reaction seem completely out of whack even if what he was saying weren't true, it still doesn't help that what he's saying? Totally true.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

What is wrong with you? Like not only does this reaction seem completely out of whack even if what he was saying weren't true, it still doesn't help that what he's saying? Totally true.

Seems pretty reasonable to me? Just cuz I'm swearing doesn't mean I'm yelling at the guy.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think we're overestimating Pinhead's cultural recognition quite a bit. I'd say a lot of folks are aware there's some horror movie with a guy who has a bunch of pins on his head, but most probably couldn't name the movie or list any other details of the character. It's also been quite some time since he's had any significant pop culture exposure.

I'd say Pinhead's probably on the level of Ghostface (or, I as hear him most often called, "the Scream"). The latter is hindered because his image was not often used in promotional material for the movies (I don't think he even appeared in a trailer until Scream 3). The "Scream voice" is also pretty famous but seems to be regarded separately from the Ghostface image.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Seems pretty reasonable to me? Just cuz I'm swearing doesn't mean I'm yelling at the guy.

Sometimes you can be abrasive, but you like horror movies and do the Scream Stream so its all good.

Re: Pinhead, his cultural significance has diminished but it just happened naturally over time as the years went by and no new Hellraiser films were made, or more specifically, released in theatres. Jason, Freddy, and Michael have all had remakes within the past 5-7 years.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

New Line is trying to reboot ANOES again. If at first you don't succeed, etc...

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3356108/a-nightmare-elm-street-remake-again/

weekly font fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 7, 2015

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
It seems pretty rare to me that you see a pinhead mask during Halloween. Maybe it's just because the cheap ones you see look like poo poo, but I think it has more to do with his low popularity now. Most of my non-horror friends might recognize him as 'the guy with pins in his head'

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

It seems pretty rare to me that you see a pinhead mask during Halloween. Maybe it's just because the cheap ones you see look like poo poo, but I think it has more to do with his low popularity now. Most of my non-horror friends might recognize him as 'the guy with pins in his head'

a fair point, although it's also worth noting that a proper Pinhead costume is way harder to pull off than any of the others mentioned (except, I guess, Chucky)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a fair point, although it's also worth noting that a proper Pinhead costume is way harder to pull off than any of the others mentioned (except, I guess, Chucky)

I think that might be a point against Leatherface too, but I think Leatherface is miles more mainstream than Pinhead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The issue is more that Jason and Michael are silent killers with no real personality. You get a jumpsuit or some overalls, throw on the mask and the costume is done. Characters like Pinhead, Freddy, and even to a certain extent Leatherface demand more effort.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think I'll just go as David Hemmings in Deep Red this year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think a really cool group costume idea would be the punks from Return of the Living Dead. You'd have to have a hot exhibitionist chick in your group though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I want to convince all of my friends to dress up as Harry Dean Stanton from different movies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ghostface's cultural relevance actually probably strengthened by Scary Movie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The Evil Dead remake has practical blood puking. Probably mostly because it just isn't an Evil Dead movie unless the actors were miserable on the set.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Ghostface's cultural relevance actually probably strengthened by Scary Movie

"Ghostface Killah isn't even dead" is the best line in the entirety of The Boondocks.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
Apologies if this has been discussed already, but has anyone checked out Shudder? It's the new horror-only streaming service from AMC, and I'm enjoying it so far. I was super disappointed with Screambox in that it was almost entirely cheap SyFy channel looking movies from the past few years, but Shudder's catalogue is actually pretty decent. There's a fair mix of classics and more obscure stuff from all through the years, although there's admittedly a decent amount of crossover with Netflix.

I also really like the Shudder TV feature, a 24/7 live stream of random movies from their collection for when you just want to throw something on in the background. It would be cool if that had a chat function, but hey, the site's still in beta - you can't even search yet.

Overall I'm not sure if it'd be quite worth it for everyone to sign up right now, but I could easily see this thing being awesome in a few months.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

I think I'll just go as David Hemmings in Deep Red this year.

when i hit the piano keys, i imagine i'm knocking my father's teeth in

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

The Evil Dead remake has practical blood puking. Probably mostly because it just isn't an Evil Dead movie unless the actors were miserable on the set.

Word.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oeDFbGbYLg

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes you can be abrasive, but you like horror movies and do the Scream Stream so its all good.

Thanks man.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Mr. Boogie posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but has anyone checked out Shudder?

Sounds cool. I'm waiting on Vinegar Syndrome TV (exploitation.tv I think it is called now) which is supposed to launch in a couple of weeks. It won't be exclusively horror, but that's just fine by me. Every Vinegar Syndrome blu-ray I've bought has brought me great happiness.

I think ShoutFactory is making something too. I guess as physical media gets harder to slog, making a streaming service might be the way to go for these companies.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mr. Boogie posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but has anyone checked out Shudder? It's the new horror-only streaming service from AMC, and I'm enjoying it so far. I was super disappointed with Screambox in that it was almost entirely cheap SyFy channel looking movies from the past few years, but Shudder's catalogue is actually pretty decent. There's a fair mix of classics and more obscure stuff from all through the years, although there's admittedly a decent amount of crossover with Netflix.

I also really like the Shudder TV feature, a 24/7 live stream of random movies from their collection for when you just want to throw something on in the background. It would be cool if that had a chat function, but hey, the site's still in beta - you can't even search yet.

Overall I'm not sure if it'd be quite worth it for everyone to sign up right now, but I could easily see this thing being awesome in a few months.

I posted about this a while ago and completely forgot about it. I should ask my friend about it, but if he's curating I'm sure there'll be some very cool stuff in there and some amazing deep cuts. I'm actually surprised it's out this soon as my friend made it sound like they were quite a ways off from launching.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I hope this isn't spamming (I have no financial interest in this nor can I even subscribe to it when it starts up since it'll be an American service) but the programmer I work with at TIFF is helping curate horror films for a new service called 'Shutter', which is supposed to be like Netflix but just for horror flicks. It looks like they have some really good stuff on the go but it's in the very early stages right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

axleblaze posted:

He's a moron. Always keep that in mind if you waste your time reading his posts.