Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Lurdiak posted:

gently caress, I was really hoping this'd be a 1408 reunion, but it's being directed by Some Guy instead.

Apparently at one stage it was going to be Eli Roth, whether you consider that an improvement or not......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

flashy_mcflash posted:

Looks like he's got this dropping next year, also with Jane Levy.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4160708/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_1

Stephen Lang as a badass blind guy sounds pretty fun.

Ooh, down. Jane Levy was the best thing about Evil Dead. She was super great. "Feast on this mother fucker!!" :black101:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

The commentary on Fulci's THE BEYOND with Catriona MacColl and David Warbeck is pretty great.

It was recorded after a few drinks, a few weeks before Warbeck died. It's a really loose and fun commentary, not just about The Beyond, but about the various Fulci films they made. Some of the highlights:

- MacColl explains that while Fulci was famously mean to actors, he was always kind to her and only made her cry once: during the worm sequence in City of the Living Dead

- Warbeck hits on MacColl throughout the commentary, at one point asking her if she ever "practiced her screaming with one of her boyfriends" while "having a good time"

- they refer a few times to Fulci throwing fits on set, at one point pushing a producer into a river

- Warbeck brags about having made a film with Joan Crawford (I believe that would be TROG no less), relating how he asked her why she was making a film like that to which she replied "I've figured out how to turn poo poo into gold!"

- MacColl said that she asked the crew if The Beyond wasn't intended to be a rip-off The Shining, to which the Italian crew all played dumb, claiming to have never heard of "The Shining"

- MacColl also explains that she often went as Catherine MacColl for Italian productions because the "ona" suffix in Italian means "large", meaning her actual name would translate as "large Catherine", and she preferred her name to echo Catherine Hepburn instead

- they also talk about Fulci walking around the set chewing on a pipe, which he didn't always put in his mouth right-side up

It's an amusing commentary track. They often get into little arguments and giggling fits. It was recorded quite some time ago (Warbeck died in 1997) so it's on a few releases.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
In any making of stuff I've ever seen with MacColl, she always comes off cool as poo poo and very appreciative of her Fulci run of films. An underrated horror lady.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I would love to see a showcase series of latter day Joan Crawford, starting with Straitjacket.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Joan Collins and Joan Crawford really should've had a Black Cat 1934 style showdown circa 72

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
She had to have been on a soap at some point, or was she so old school she would've found it insulting?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

She had to have been on a soap at some point, or was she so old school she would've found it insulting?

I assume their battlefield would have to be a low budget British anthology film or something. I think Crawford filled in for her daughter on a soap. No idea why I know that.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Glamorama26 posted:

In any making of stuff I've ever seen with MacColl, she always comes off cool as poo poo and very appreciative of her Fulci run of films. An underrated horror lady.

Yes, she has a lot of fun through the whole commentary but she's never disrespectful toward Fulci or the horror genre and acknowledges (legitimately I believe) her pride in parts of her performance and the films.

For example, while they both have a laugh about the slow oozing blood in the hospital scene (Warbeck says something like "only the Italians could make an oozing red pancake scary!") they also go out of their way to call out some of the great shots Fulci included as well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's a little horror festival going on this weekend in Toronto and I have tickets to this on Sunday. Kind of a 'too soon' situation given today's events but the premise is intriguing. I've never seen any of Larry Kent's work so I don't know what to expect here, really.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3589016/

quote:

When Angela (Sarah Smyth) refuses to leave her planned-parenthood clinic after it is shut down by the state, a family of fanatical evangelists vow to make her pay.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Glamorama26 posted:

I assume their battlefield would have to be a low budget British anthology film or something. I think Crawford filled in for her daughter on a soap. No idea why I know that.

Oh right, duh: you know of it because it's in Mommie Dearest.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Oh right, duh: you know of it because it's in Mommie Dearest.

I will echo your duh, that is indeed exactly how I know of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
In retrospect that's probably why the idea was in my head in the first place.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Semi related to Miss Crawford, how is Hammer's The Nanny starring Bette Davis? Never got around to that one. Davis as a mean ol' psychotic biddy does sound wonderful

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Glamorama26 posted:

Semi related to Miss Crawford, how is Hammer's The Nanny starring Bette Davis? Never got around to that one. Davis as a mean ol' psychotic biddy does sound wonderful

It's really loving good and one of Hammer's more underrated movies.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Wilhelm Scream posted:

It's really loving good and one of Hammer's more underrated movies.

I basically read this post and decided to sit down and watch it and I'm glad I did. My only real issue with it is it felt like a lot of the early tension of the movie was drained because it's easy to assume, at least looking back on it with a modern perspective, that Davis is the source of trouble instead of the boy. I feel like you're supposed to be against the boy at first and then slowly turn against Davis as time goes on but for me it never felt believable that the boy was the issue. The story is well told, however, so this is more of a basic complaint than a real problem for me.

Lots of great moments and memorable shots in this one. I was very pleasantly surprised overall. I especially liked Davis getting caught at the boy's door holding a pillow, and then later Davis' flashback concluding over the aunt's dead body. Would recommend.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

gently caress, I was really hoping this'd be a 1408 reunion, but it's being directed by Some Guy instead.

On the note of 1408, how did they ever think the funeral ending was somehow better? The theatrical one is the perfect wrap-up. Did they just hate it because it was happy-ish?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've just finished reading Stephen King's Cell, pretty enjoyable if a little on the goofy side occasionally but I can't help but think it'd make a pretty good movie.

Turn's out I don't have to think it as its getting released next year and stars John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson....

Our company has (maybe had, not sure) the rights for theatrical distribution on this since I started in 2009 and every year it gets pushed back further and further. Must be a real winner, that one...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I finally watched Willow Creek last night. The 20 minute long continuous tent scene made the whole thing worth it. It was the first time a movie has made me feel tense in a while. The fact that it was one long shot was very effective. The tension was unrelenting. You simply do not get a break and things just keep ramping up.

Cool movie. Not for everyone but it clicked with me, probably because I'm scared of the woods.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

man i have been on one hell of an 80s kick recently. i actually haven't watched most horror from that period (although The Shining is my all-time favorite film), so i went and watched The Fly and The Blob... and was extremely entertained, haha. aside from The Thing, any other particular recommendations from this period? ones that use similar practical special effects would be great

i've seen traditional slashers from the 80s, just wondering if there are more creature/monster flicks I should watch. thanks!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

A Spider Covets posted:

man i have been on one hell of an 80s kick recently. i actually haven't watched most horror from that period (although The Shining is my all-time favorite film), so i went and watched The Fly and The Blob... and was extremely entertained, haha. aside from The Thing, any other particular recommendations from this period? ones that use similar practical special effects would be great

i've seen traditional slashers from the 80s, just wondering if there are more creature/monster flicks I should watch. thanks!

If you liked The Fly, give Scanners and Videodrome a whirl. It's just about Christmas time, so I'll throw in a recommendation for Gremlins. Also, definitely hit up Pumpkinhead. It's directed by Stan Winston, so of course its special effects are dope.

Edit: you mentioned The Thing, but don't skip over Carpenter's other 80's horror films. The Fog, They Live, Christine, and Prince of Darkness all range from pretty good to great.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 1, 2015

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

A Spider Covets posted:

Re-Animator
Evil Dead/II
An American Werewolf in London
C.H.U.D.
Basket Case
From Beyond
Brain Damage
Demons

Can't go wrong with any of those.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I just watched Leviathan over the weekend finally. Fun little low-budge pastiche of Alien and The Thing (with even a nod to the Howard Hawks original), only underwater. Great cast too. :spooky: :spooky: .5/5

Also over the weekend caught Victor Frankenstein. It was alright. As the narrative tells you upfront, you already know the story. It does a good job debating the science vs religion aspect of the process as far as that goes, and is well acted. The main focus of the story though is on Daniel Radcliffe as Igor, and is definitely a story about sidekicks and outsiders. It ends up feeling most like a bookend with the remake from a few years back of The Wolfman in that it has a similar Victorian medical setting, it's well acted and decently shot, and has some worthwhile practical effects, relying little on full on CG, but at the same time it's just sort of...there, without anything superlative to recommend it. I imagine like the other film, it will be relegated to footnote status and nothing further. :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:/5

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If you liked The Fly, give Scanners and Videodrome a whirl. It's just about Christmas time, so I'll throw in a recommendation for Gremlins. Also, definitely hit up Pumpkinhead. It's directed by Stan Winston, so of course its special effects are dope.

Edit: you mentioned The Thing, but don't skip over Carpenter's other 80's horror films. The Fog, They Live, Christine, and Prince of Darkness all range from pretty good to great.

caiman posted:

Re-Animator
Evil Dead/II
An American Werewolf in London
C.H.U.D.
Basket Case
From Beyond
Brain Damage
Demons

Can't go wrong with any of those.

thanks guys! havent seen any of those aside from Gremlins (hello childhood), CHUD, Evil Dead, and American Werewolf in London, so i will be watching all the rest of those very soon. husband likes the list too and is very stoked - he is much more knowledgeable about film than me. cheers!

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I just watched Leviathan over the weekend finally. Fun little low-budge pastiche of Alien and The Thing (with even a nod to the Howard Hawks original), only underwater. Great cast too. :spooky: :spooky: .5/5

I'm a fan of Leviathan and basically any movie with Peter Weller.

On a related note I'd broadly recommend Of Unknown Origin although, A Spider Covets, it's only kind of a creature feature

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Choco1980 posted:

The second best underwater horror film of the mysterious underwater horror film craze of 1989.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I have been on a Mario Bava kick lately when I came across a later film that he worked on with Lamberto, 1974's Rabid Dogs aka Kidnapped. This was a rather forgettable movie where three failed bank robbers hijack a car which contains a woman, man and a sick child. Practically the whole movie takes place inside of the car, and it has a few tense moments but the payoff comes at the end. Not a masterpiece, but a solid watch with a unique twist

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

The director of Leviathan has a really goofy resume too. He directed the 2nd Rambo, Cobra and Tombstone. He passed and his kid used the Tombstone royalties to make Beyond The Black Rainbow.

There you go guys, some useless information about the dead George Cosmatos.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All three movies loving own and his kid's movie was my favorite movie of 2012.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I love 80's horror movies. I really like the Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Demons, Vamp, the Howling, Night of the Creeps, and TerrorVision.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dr.Caligari posted:

I have been on a Mario Bava kick lately when I came across a later film that he worked on with Lamberto, 1974's Rabid Dogs aka Kidnapped. This was a rather forgettable movie where three failed bank robbers hijack a car which contains a woman, man and a sick child. Practically the whole movie takes place inside of the car, and it has a few tense moments but the payoff comes at the end. Not a masterpiece, but a solid watch with a unique twist

Bava owns. Kidnapped owns. One of the best twist endings ever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets posted:

I know its been recommended already but the #1 movie on your list needs to be From Beyond. Its everything you seem to be looking for and then some. I feel like if you were to look at my post history in this thread half of it would be me telling people to go watch From Beyond.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

A Spider Covets posted:

If you like zombie movies even a little bit, you should definitely see Return of the Living Dead and Day of the Dead, if you haven't.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I can feel it in my bones, it's almost time for the monthly "how great is Return of the Living Dead" tangent.

Return of the Living Dead is great.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

All three movies loving own and his kid's movie was my favorite movie of 2012.

Probably the best horror movie of the decade so far.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

All three movies loving own

...Cobra?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Even without the enjoyable nuttiness, it's a pretty well-made action movie in the Commando vein

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cobra is sick. I would take it over any Seagal movie.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Cobra is great because it doesn't give a gently caress.

Also ends like Leviathan with our hero sucker punching a superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Welp just watched Possession thanks to this thread... what a ride.

I really loved it, but was wondering if anyone could provide any clarity (or at least an interpretation) regarding the man in the pink socks, or Mark's spying job in general? They set up the thing about his subject wearing pink socks so early in the movie, and finally reveal the dude with the socks at the end, but after everything in between I could hardly make sense of those details. I guess it's a bit simplistic, but do the pink socks serve as an indicator of communism? Or maybe it was just a little visual gag.

All the imagery of the Berlin Wall along with Anna's description of a fracture in her mind/identity made me interested in how the social and political climate factored into the story, so I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on this stuff.