Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

penismightier posted:

Survival of the Dead is so bad it depressed me. Land and Diary were both sorta alright movies that suffered in comparison to their predecessors, Survival was the first one of the series to be genuinely and completely inept. How the gently caress did Romero go from Night and Martin to this?

Survival is worse than Diary? I turned Diary of the Dead off within about 20 minutes of starting it and took it back to the video store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm usually pretty on top of twists, but that one caught me by surprise. I was a little annoyed, honestly.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The title is weirdly specific.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I don't think it's the bees knees or anything, but it's much better than Thinner.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

frozenpeas posted:

Rawhead Rex

I read the Rawhead Rex short story before I saw the movie, and I was terribly disappointed with that goofy costume.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ginger Snaps is terrible, but more for the subtext about female sexuality than for its execution as a horror movie.

Ginger Snaps is awesome. Don't listen to this dude.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Local Group Bus posted:

If you like exorcism stuff check out Apparitions. Because it's a wiki link it will have spoilers so don't read down that far but it's a six or so episode series that has a really strong cast and a lightness of touch that most exorcism movies lack.

The show is only very short but it's amazing how much they packed in such a short run and well worth checking out if you can find it somewhere.

This show means well, but it gets so wrapped in extraordinary silliness that I had to turn it off. In particular when that guy gets skinned, and the priest is talking to the medical examiner, he asks "Was the foreskin left? Removing the foreskin is a sign of the holy pact with god, but removing everything but the foreskin is the sign of a pact with satan." I heard that, had a good chuckle, and watched no more forever.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I would agree that Noroi is great and should be watched, but I would say that its pseudosequel Occult deserves to be watched, as well -- if only because it's quite an experience to see a movie that hovers so indeterminately between boring and highly disturbing and then... well, does what it does in the denouement.

e: I hadn't heard of Shirome until now, and after doing some research I kind of want to seek it out because the premise sounds so ridiculous.

I found Shirome on youtube, but I don't think there's a subtitled version out anywhere yet. I tried the automatic transcription/translation that youtube provides, but it was nonsensical.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I watched Shirome, another found footage film by the guy who made Noroi, which was excellent.

The verdict on Shirome?

It's terrible. Entirely free of anything even remotely scary. It's also way too long - I think there are at least 20 minutes of 13 year-old girls singing a song in the film, an excess of shrieking at nothing, and a bunch of not-scary story-teller bits that could be excised.

The movie might have been a decent 20-minute short film, but I doubt even that much editing would have saved it.

Is the other one by the same director, Occult, worthwhile?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I so wanna watch Gacy House to see how bad it is.

What did people think of The Tunnel?

I liked The Tunnel a fair bit. The ending was sort of strange, given what had gone on before.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ghosthotel posted:

I decided to watch Noroi: The Curse because im a sucker for anything found footage and really ended up enjoying it. Was wondering if the directors other movies Occult and Shirome were worth watching?

Shirome is one of the worst, least interesting pieces of film I've ever seen.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Horns posted:

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions guys. Already saw Apollo 18, thought it was alright. It didn't overstay its welcome and the acting was pretty good, though the threat didn't make a ton of sense if you try to analyze it in any way. How the hell do rock spider things even survive on the moon? What did they eat before hapless astronauts started popping around, each other?.

Gonna check out Cargo, Lifeforce (thought you were joking at first and meant the old awesome NES game, ha) and some of the stuff on penismightier's list.

BTW, Jason X is hilarious. It's a great "drunk movie night" movie.

After all these, watch Dark Star. It's another great scifi farce, this one from John Carpenter in the mid-70s.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Guess I need to see Ringu. That looks scary as hell, probably because that's closer to my own height than the US version. The gangly arms add to it. Basically, I'd piss my pants if I saw that coming for me in real life.

I tried pretty hard to like Ringu, but I just can't be afraid of Japanese-style ghosts. The really elaborate backstories just seem to detract from the scariness, rather than add to it, as well.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Nope, it doesn't. But it's become one of the major criticisms of the film, for whatever reason. So I thought I'd err on the side of caution and mention it.

I think it's just jarring because you expect these sorts of zombie/monster things to come from either some sort of natural, biological source, or from ghosts or demons. Science zombies vs. supernatural zombies, in other words. Having it both ways just feels dissonant, at least to me.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

zaphrowsedower posted:

Did anyone not like John Dies at the End? I felt it was too all over the place, definitely not up to snuff with Bubba Ho Tep which was another adaptation he cooked up, originally a Joe R Lansdale story. Do I need to have read the book to enjoy it? I just can't put my finger on it.

The source material was an episodic serial novel written for the internet, and it really affects the structure of the film. Having read the book ahead of time would have helped you understand the movie, but it doesn't make the movie much better.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Dude vs. Dog one was the most interesting I saw, but I got bored and turned it off soon after.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Tell her you're more in the mood for a documentary, then put on the Blair Witch Project.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Acht posted:

Also, a bit of callback to an earlier post from Xandoom about August Underground. I remembered an interview Fred Vogel did where he responds to his inspiration for the movie:

I tried watching one of these a couple of weeks ago, but in spite of all the violence and general horrific actions, the actors couldn't really sell what was happening. In combination with some of the more extreme stuff going on, it seemed like a movie that aliens would make if they were trying to crudely mimic human activity that they'd picked up via a telescope or something, and also the aliens are all chubby crust punks.

I don't remember the subtitle for the one I saw, but I wouldn't even call it a horror movie - more like unintentional abstract art film.

EDIT: There's also the whole "The Aristocrats!" thing running through it, where it seems so desperate to shock that it's unable to.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 13, 2014

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Glamorama26 posted:

I dunno if I'd call it iconic, but I always enjoyed The Relic. Mimic is fun. loving Wishmaster. Watch Wishmaster. Deep Rising has some pretty sweet design ideas too.

I guess you can get shitfaced and watch the Carnosaur saga.

Deep Rising is rad as hell, especially for a film that made one of Ebert's worst films ever lists.

I read somewhere that it was initially planned with Harrison Ford and a much bigger budget in mind.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Choco1980 posted:

Today on Showtime I finally saw Phantoms(1998). It was pretty decent, especially for a late 90's horror. I wonder why nobody ever saw that, to the point of being a running gag in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Maybe because it was a monster movie and the trend had already skewed towards masked slashers? Maybe because no one seems willing to say it's a monster movie? It's a monster movie. I really enjoyed how the plot kept you guessing for some time. It ended rather abruptly, but that's alright. Also, I really dug the Nigel Neal style story once we had an idea of what was going on.

The lack of popularity is probably because it's an adaptation of a Dean Koontz novel. He's the sort of 'novel a month by horror mad lib, cheap knockoff Stephen King' that nobody really likes unless they're stuck in an airport.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Wilhelm Scream posted:

The best Horror movies of the '90s in no order based on my generally questionable taste and ratings:

From Dusk Till Dawn
Blade

You forgot Cemetery Man.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Industrial posted:

Mass confusion occurred among my group of friends when this movie came out around the same time as House on Haunted Hill. A good friend of mine said he went to "The Haunting" and it was loving terrifying, so a bunch of us went the next weekend and proceeded to watch the least scary film of all time. Turns out he had seen House on Haunted Hill instead, which when you are 15 is pretty goddamn scary.

A similar thing happened to me, when a friend of mine got 'Leaving Las Vegas' and 'Honeymoon in Vegas' mixed up. He rented Leaving, thinking it was going to be a comedy, and we were just sitting there, watching it, getting ever more depressed, while he just kept say "No, no, any minute now, they're going to jump out an airplane with a bunch of elvises."

They didn't.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I was really disappointed with No One Lives - I like Ryuhei Kitamura, and that's the first thing I've seen him do that was just awful.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm watching Nightmare on Elm Street 2, and in the midst of all the silliness, the scene where the leather daddy gym teacher is making Jessie run laps in the gym is really creepily effective. Something about the squelching noises from Jessie's wet clothes and his completely defeated posture just makes the whole thing seem incredibly bleak.

Then the movie just ties the leather dude up with jump ropes and spanks him with towels. It's a crazy fast tonal shift.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Oliver Reed posted:

Continuing the Final Destination series with 2. A decent movie if you shut your brain off. I find it worked really well as a horror-comedy. Like nearly all horror sequels, the gore/death count is turned up and the story/mythology gets a bit thin. Curious to see how the tone of the third one clashes with the second.

Forgot to mention that I also watched Brian De Palma's Sisters (1973) which is one of his best films, I think.

That freeway pileup at the beginning, just drat! Incredibly great. I think that might be the best part of any of the Final Destination movies.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I feel like Lord of Illusions was one of the first stabs at urban fantasy (in film at least - I don't know how long the genre had been kicking around in literature), and it's pretty good, given that. Stuff like Stir of Echoes reminds me of Lord of Illusions in a number of small respects.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Volume posted:

Good Werewolf movies that aren't the go-to response of Howlings/Dog Soldiers. If only because I've seen them all.

Ginger Snaps!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The sequels aren't nearly as good, but if you want werewolf movies, you can't be all that picky.

EDIT: Oh, there are all those Underworld movies - Kate Beckinsale fights and sometimes hangs out with werewolves in those.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

gently caress the Underworld movies.

Aren't they just knockoffs of that mid-90s RPG? World of Darkness?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I can't say for a certainty but there is something very White Wolf-y about them.

Yeah, that was the company that made the RPG I was talking about. I was in ATL in the 90s, and I knew a couple of folks who worked there. I always wondered if Underworld was licensed, if those people made serious bank somehow.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

In Shaun of the Dead, they agreed not to use the 'zed word.'

That was one of the nice things about World War Z - they acknowledged the word 'zombie.'

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

And a demon in The Exorcist!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Speaking of nuclear war, did anyone watch The Day After when the Cold War was still on? My first viewing of the movie was fairly recent, and I don't remember too mucn of the Cold War. I didn't find this scary as I'm fairly far removed from the situation, but do any of you recall being freaked out by this when you were younger?

I saw that movie on tv with my parents when I was 5, when it first came out. It was terrifying at the time - that scene where the bombs hit, and everyone's running, watching the trails behind the rockets as they head up, then dying as the explosions go off up high, that scene really got to me. I remember watching contrails very carefully for next couple of years wondering if they were going to mean that a bomb was going to go off, until I outgrew that particular fear.

EDIT: This scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LweHiZLH9s. It's a bit different than it was in my memory. Weird.

Also, back then, we used to see military trucks carrying missile components (or whole missiles sometimes) on flatbeds, driving up and down the interstates in south Georgia pretty often. The early 80s were a very different time.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Oculus is one of the worst horror movies I've seen in theatres in a really long time, probably since 30 Days of Night and I hope that means something because I often willingly go see horror movies that are of dubious quality. Stuff like Paranormal Activity 4 is bad because it's very formulaic and they're trying to redo something in increments that had already been done a few times before while adding nothing of its own. This, however, is straight up ineptly made, the only bright spot is Katee Sackhoff.

It's like a filmed creepypasta, both too much explanation and not enough explanation, cheap, nonsensical "family drama" that doesn't make a lick of sense, bizarre rules that don't amount to a thing, hilariously inappropriate reactions all over the place, needlessly convoluted plot that doesn't reveal anything at all about the characters. This is some thin gruel and I wish I had some idea what movie other people seemed to be watching. The theater was dead for this, too. Makes Silent House look like a masterpiece.

I absolutely cannot trust anyone who doesn't love that long overhead shot in 30 Days of Night.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

ruddiger posted:

Rawhead Rex is worth it if only for the scene where Rex pisses in that heretic priest's face.

A Christian being re-baptized in a stream of ancient pagan god/monster urine is like the single most Clive Barker thing ever put to film.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

This is what I want, though.

It's also incredibly tedious - I like his other films, but Shirome just felt like 90 minutes wasted. Perhaps if you really enjoy pop idol reality shows, it'd be different?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I gotta find a drat copy first.

When I saw it, a couple of years ago, it was just freely available on youtube. I couldn't find a copy with a quick search, but it might still be there with its Japanese-character title or something.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Attack! posted:

Walking through a horror movie section in a video rental store is pretty great, especially when you're a kid. They're like presents. At that age, no other movie genre offers the possibility of new experiences like horror can.

I used to spend lots of time staring the Ghoulies VHS cover at Turtles Music way back when.

Also, Iron Maiden album art in the tape section.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I like Sick Girl, Cigarette Burns, and especially Deer Woman out of that series. The rest are kinda eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think I've said this before, but the August Underground movies seem more like bizarre performance art than horror movies - no one seems to be really doing much of anything but crudely mimicking murder scenes in bad lighting. They feel like the intermission entertainment at a punk show in the basement of a crust house.