Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
After last years God awful remake of an 80s slasher movie, Prom Night, I hope 2009 can bring us some decent ones and wash that one from our memories.
First up is My Bloody Valentine 3-D(depending what cinema you see it in).
I loved the first poster we got for this one, it really looked great.

Unfortunatly it seems the MPAA had a big issue with this poster and banned it, then we got a revamp with the blood turned brown and it looked like poo poo got smeared everywhere.

I was never a fan of poster 2, it's to cheesy, the tag line sucks and it tries to hard to sell the 3D angle.

Nothing says date movie like a 3-D ride through hell, that just rubs me the wrong was totally.

The final poster is pretty decent, still selling the 3-D gimmick by at least the tag line is pretty cool.

I don't know how many here have seen the original, I have, many, many times, it's one of my favorite 80s slasher movies, yet I'm cool with the remake. Even if it sucks, we at least are finally getting an uncut SE DVD release of the original movie :)
The plot to the original goes
On Valentine's Day 20 years before, an explosion of methane gas took the lives of a group of coal miners working in the Hanniger Mine near the small Nova Socia town of Valentine Bluffs. The accident occurred because supervisors left their posts to attend the annual Valentine's Day dance. A year afterward, Harry Warden - the only survivor of the accident - retaliated by killing the two supervisors, and leaving a terrifying warning never to hold another Valentine's Day dance. Now, a group of young adults decides to hold another dance, despite warnings. When a blood-soaked heart arrives at the police station, accompanied by an ominous message, the dance is canceled. But a Valentine party is held in its place... at the coal mine, and it isn't long before the town's young people begin dying violently. It appears Harry Warden has returned to punish those who did not heed his warning...

The remake seems to be keeping the plot pretty simular.
Ten years ago, a tragedy changed the town of Harmony forever. Tom Hanniger, an inexperienced coal miner, caused an accident in the tunnels that trapped and killed five men and sent the only survivor, Harry Warden, into a permanent coma. But Harry Warden wanted revenge. Exactly one year later, on Valentine's Day, he woke up...and brutally murdered twenty-two people with a pickaxe before being killed.

Ten years later, Tom Hanniger returns to Harmony on Valentine's Day, still haunted by the deaths he caused. Struggling to make amends with his past, he grapples with unresolved feelings for his ex-girlfriend, Sarah, who is now married to his best friend, Axel, the town sheriff. But tonight, after years of peace, something from Harmony's dark past has returned. Wearing a miner's mask and armed with a pickaxe, an unstoppable killer is on the loose. And as his footsteps come ever closer, Tom, Sarah and Axel realize in terror that it just might be Harry Warden who's come back to claim them...?

The trailer itself looks pretty drat good, except I hate the way they advertise the fact that the movie is in 3-D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsRbqpiqkKU

I am really looking forwards to this one, I hope the 3-D looks good but I also hope it doesn't just become about the gimmick. This is going to be the first 3-D movie I see in the cinemas so I'm pretty excited for that reason alone.
Also the movie has been Rated R for graphic brutal horror violence and grisly images throughout, some strong sexuality, graphic nudity and language, God drat it, I hope this means we'll be seeing tits and asses bouncing off the screen, as well as dismembered body parts.

Next up.

This movie doesn't really need any intro, everyone knows it. The remake doesn't seem to be a remake of the first movie, more parts 2,3 and 4 put together.
The trailer was recently released.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Phn-Ux2XJ4&feature=channel_page

This is a great trailer, love the way it does the body count thing like the original movie, I must say, this looks better then My Bloody Valentine, but not by much, both look great. 2009 could be a great year for masked killers and a bad year for hory teenagers.

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Out of all the recent Remakes, Prom Night is the one where the original movie isn't all that great and there was room for inprovement, yet it looks like it could be the worst of the bunch.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Why does everyone complain about the fact that Jason runs in the trailer, you all know he ran in part 2-4 right?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Pretty excited to see both of these as long as they stick with hard R ratings, it's bad enough we don't have the fully uncut original My Bloody Valentine or Friday the 13th.

Wonder if they'll follow these with remakes of more 80's Slashers like The Prowler and The Burning.

I'd prefer it if they remade no so good ones like Sweet 16 or Graduation Day.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

some of those remakes do sound interest, but the THING???? what the gently caress
it is timeless

Isn't The Thing a remake?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Wilhelm Scream posted:

As long as they do better than the awful Prom Night remake which somehow managed to be worse than the original.

I still can't get over how bad Prom Night was. To improve the original all they needed to do was up the gore, tighten the pacing, improve the chase sequences, make it less cory, yet they didn't manage to improve a single thing.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Hockles posted:

I don't think he sprinted though. He jogged, and shuffled.

He legs it after Trish in part 4, he chased her from her house to the next, he's just behind her every second, no jogging about it.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

timeandtide posted:

At least the original had the corniest slasher chase I've ever seen: Disco Nightmare ahoy.

I love the decapatated head rolling down the dance hall.
I hear The House On Sorority Row is being remade, another one of my favorites.

I made a video to show how awful Sweet Sixteen is, WARNING, it is known to bring grown men to tears, you might want to turn your sound down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPR1hC8_xI

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
For anyone who hasn't seen the original, here are some clips I made from it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZo4UNVhJGw

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Apperently there was a screening for My Bloody Valentine, ain't it cool have a small review.

aicn posted:

Our horror film of the night was next - MY BLOODY VALENTINE in 3D! I
wasn't expecting what I got from this movie - a blast of old-school
slasher horror with some fantastic kills all spurting at the screen in
three dimensions. Tits and rear end (quite a bit of it!) and gore, all
wrapped up in a nice bow and stuffed in a still-beating heart! One
particular kill (it's literally jaw-dropping) got the crowd roaring,
and weirdly enough I can envision this as a terrific date movie.
Sure, it's dumb, but it's that good cheesy 80s horror film dumb, with
characters doing everything the SCREAM films warned us against. I
wouldn't exactly call MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D good - well, you know
what? I would call it good. It does exactly what it's supposed to do
- entertain the poo poo out of you.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39449

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
More My Bloody Valentine reviews have been released.

http://www.fearnet.com/news/reviews/b14051_my_bloody_valentine_3d_review.html

fearnet posted:

George Mihalka's 1981 Canadian slasher movie My Bloody Valentine is sort of a rarity among similar flicks of the era for a few reasons: Instead of stupid teenagers, the movie is populated with (fairly stupid) grown-ups; it aims to add a small air of mystery-style "whodunnit?" to a generally standard "slasher" premise; and (weirdly enough), it never warranted any sort of sequels. For these reasons, plus the fact that it's actually a little creepy and often quite nasty, the old-school horror fans have held a small place in their heart for this odd little Halloween knock-off.

And those fans, in addition to lots of younger horror freaks, are likely to have a big-time, blood-soaked ball with Patrick Lussier's new version. The 2009 edition of My Bloody Valentine also comes in a very nifty 3-D presentation, which adds a slick layer of icing to a familiar (but quite tasty) cupcake of carnage. Boasting a fast pace, a twisted sense of humor, a few surprisingly strong performances, and more creative dispatches than you'll know what to do with. The 3-D gimmick adds a lot to the "fun value" of this basic-yet-appealing slasher remake, but it also helps (a lot) that My Bloody Valentine offers just enough plot and character to keep us interested in between all the morbid mayhem.

Jensen Ackles stars as Tom, a guy who once caused a horrible accident inside of a mine, only to have the only survivor turn around and slaughter 22 people ... but now it's ten years later and Tom is returning to his home town, and guess what? It's time for another batch of horrific murders to hit the scene. But WHO is the crazy slasher? Is it the original killer Harry Warden -- or is it the short-fused young sheriff? Heck, it could even be Tom!

But the "mystery" aspect is not what you're really here for, which makes its inclusion little more than a clever (enough) way to spin the wheels in between the scary / splattery sections. And suffice to say that the new My Bloody Valentine is infinitely more interested in jolts, shocks, and mayhem than it is with its "drama." And that's how it should be for a 3-D remake of a goofy old slasher movie. Director Patrick Lussier offers just enough of a foundation for the shocks, and then steams full ahead with big, generous doses of stuff that horror fans love most: Creative kills, impressive FX, and just enough shocks to make the flick feel like a carnival ride. It's debatable as to whether My Bloody Valentine is all that SCARY, but it does manage to jolt, shock, and sicken with impressive frequency. (I use "sicken" as a compliment here, since most of the hardcore gore FX are pretty drat solid.)

And if you need one more reason to climb aboard an enthusiastically energetic little horror movie, well, here's one: My Bloody Valentine will screen in 3-D in several (select) theaters, and I must admit that the old-fashioned gimmick works alarmingly well here. Whether we're dodging a pick-axe in the head or chuckling as a severed ear flies over our heads, there's a lot of slick little novelties to be found here. Better yet, the 3-D technology allows for not only "in your face" stuff, but also an "extra depth" perception that adds a lot more atmosphere to the underground chases. And you simply haven't lived until you've enjoyed a 3-D horror film in which a buck-naked woman grabs a gun and chases her sleazebaggy lover into a parking lot, only to end up on the business end of a pick-axe.

So obviously it's not high art, and it's certainly not for all tastes, but if you're an old-school horror fan and you thought this remake was a really stupid idea, I recommend you give the flick a shot and tell me if you don't end up a little bit surprised at how fun the flick is. 3-D doo-hickeys aside, and judging My Bloody Valentine by the yardstick it deserves, I'd call it a very amusing retro-slasher bloodbath that absolutely delivers on all of its promises. (Plus it has a great score.) I was expecting a fun ride, but I ended up pleasantly surprised when My Bloody Valentine turned out to be a horror remake on par with Texas Chainsaw '03 and Dawn of the Dead '04. No pretense, no delusions, just basic stalk and shock mayhem with a 3-D coating that works unexpectedly well.

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/review-my-bloody-valentine-3d/

twitchfilm posted:

My Blood Valentine 3-D is an unusually gory slasher film that probably wouldn’t warrant a lot of attention in ordinary circumstances. However, My Bloody Valentine 3-D has some special ingredients in its slasher recipe. These ingredients include brains, guts, jaws, blood and various pointy objects popping out of the screen via some very advanced 3-D technology. The 3-D in this otherwise middle of the road film is so well-done and applied in such an over the top fashion as to singularly elevate the film into a solid piece of event entertainment.

My Bloody Valentine 3-D sits somewhere between a reboot and remake. A massacre by the coal mine killer, who is decked out in black coal mining gear and breathing mask, takes place and the local police kill him. Do they really kill him, though? Yes, it is one of those types of stories. The writing is good enough to carry the film between the numerous killings but the resolution of various plot threads is goofy. The acting is component with Tom Atkins rounding out a relatively young cast (most films aimed at this market lack any serious adults). What really matters in a film of this type, however, is two things: 1) the quality of the killer and 2) morbus sive aliud genus mortis (cause of death). The killer is an iconic figure, which is probably why this film was made in the first place. With the killer in place, My Blood Valentine 3-D then delivers the viscera by laying down numerous 3-D set pieces that range between the gimmicky and jaw dropping. The killer’s pick axe always seem to find its way to the front of the visual field, usually with a body part at the end of it. Most of the 3-D flows from the narrative (at least as far it relates to killing ) but even the gimmicky bits are a jolt.

A number of 3-D horror films are prepping up for theatrical release. Bohemians and naifs may disapprove of this trend but My Bloody Valentine 3-D indicates that adding a third-dimension to the slasher flatland may pay off for viewers ready for something different.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Chud.com have a MBV review up.

chud posted:

Not many people got up in arms about the remake of My Bloody Valentine because the original simply isn't one of those beloved films. The 1981 Canadian movie has a very iconic looking killer - a guy in a gas mask and miner's outfit, wielding a pick-axe - and an iconic kill - a woman stuffed into a dryer - but is otherwise sort of dingy and ugly and not a lot of fun. It also suffers from apparently massive butchering by the MPAA; I've read about up to nine minutes being cut from the film. Even in the era of rampant slasher sequalization, My Bloody Valentine's miner only got one go round.

The 2009 version promises to have a very different fate. Embracing gimmicky 3D effects and heavily splattering gore everywhere, the remake is bloody blast of fun that surprisingly harkens back to a very different era of horror movies. The original slasher films were American-ized, pumped up versions of giallos, Italian murder mysteries that played like Murder She Wrote with a big blood budget. While the modern concept of slasher films is an iconic, known-quantity killer cutting a swath through sexualized teens, early slasher films - like the giallos - often had a mystery component at the center. We'd be left guessing as to who it was that wielded that axe (and some films would give us wildly unsatisfying answers. Friday the 13th doesn't introduce its killer until the third act, which is frustrating). The remake of My Bloody Valentine keeps the original's mystery angle, and I think it's surprisingly effective; while I was never all that worried about who was actually behind the mask, I was engaged enough to enjoy the final reveal. The movie throws in just enough red herrings and misdirections to actually be a little bit of fun.

The plot of the movie is essentially an extrapolation of the original, with some changes and twists thrown in. The action takes place in a small rural town that revolves around the local mine. When Tom, the son of the mine's owner, fucks up his job, five men get trapped in a collapsed tunnel. Three days after the collapse rescuers find four of them dead, with pick-axe wounds to their heads. The survivor, Harry Warden, killed them all so he could conserve air. Warden is found in a coma, from which he awakens on Valentine's Day. He goes on a massive killing spree, first slicing and dicing his way through the hospital (some really excellent corpses here), ripping out the hearts of his victims. Then he heads to the closed down mine shaft where his accident happened, which is now the site of teenage partying. Tom has reluctantly returned to the mine with his girlfriend, and he comes face to face with Harry as he murders all the kids partying. Tom is about to get killed when he's saved by Sherrif Tom Atkins (yay!), who shoots Harry Warden. Warden runs deeper into the mine, which collapses on him. Final death toll: 22.

And that's the prologue! Director Patrick Lussier delivers a number of quality kills in just these opening minutes, including a delightful head bisection via shovel (the only non-pick-axe kill in the movie, I believe). The blood, viscera and pointy objects shoved into the audience's face has everybody laughing and screaming, and it creates an awful lot of good will for the slower scenes to come as the mystery is set up. The movie picks up ten years later; Tom has been away but returns to town to sell the mine now that his father is dead. His girlfriend Sarah has married his old rival, Axel, who is now the world's youngest-looking sheriff. And the killings are about to begin all over again. Tom is the immediate suspect, and he has to turn to his Sarah to help clear his name.

But what you're really interested in is are the money shots. It's been a long time since the golden age of 3D horror films, and you're probably wondering if this one stands up to what came before. I'm going out on a limb here (admittedly a very safe, thick one) by saying that I think the 2009 My Bloody Valentine is the best 3D horror film ever made. And that'll rile up some purists who will say that House of Wax or The Mask take the cake (and that's not even getting into the 80s 3D revival), but I'm a gorehound at heart and the MBV3D delivers the red stuff in copious, squirting-in-your-face amounts. So much so that, at the Q&A after the screening, late CHUD writer Mr. Beaks asked director Patrick Lussier if the cut we saw had received a rating yet. Somehow it's R-rated, and it's among the hardest Rs I've seen in a while. I don't want to ruin the kills, but jaws fly at the audience, eyeballs pop out of skulls, pick-axes are hurled, bodies are ripped asunder, and a good time is had by all. The film also features a sex scene in 3D, and an extended, profoundly gratuitous nude scene. Actress Betsy Rue never wears any clothing in any of her five or more minutes of screentime - she even runs into a parking lot with a gun while fully nude, every part of her completely exposed. I don't know what the MPAA was thinking when they approved this film with an R, but I'm glad for it. I know I sound like a Neanderthal, but gore and nudity are the cornerstones of the slasher genre, and nudity has been an element missing for far too long.

The cast performs ably. MBV3D is refreshing in that the characters are all adults as opposed to kids (something it shares with the original), even if the adults all look like they're 19. Jensen Ackles, star of Supernatural, plays Tom with a good veneer of craziness; you never know whether or not he's actually got some sanity. Jaime King is Sarah, and she's given the thankless damsel in distress role here, but I think she brings something a little deeper than your average scream queen. The movie doesn't glam her up, which is nice, and she comes across more like a girl next door than a beauty queen. That honor goes to newbie Megan Boone, who is gorgeous and sexy and obviously doomed from the start. Kerr Smith is actually my favorite of the younger leads; while his patchy beard makes him look like a kid trying to sneak into a bar, he actually invests the former lunkhead, current cheater and unlikely sheriff Axel with a sense of humanity. I liked the dude.

Special notice must be made of the fact that genre giant Tom Atkins makes his first 21st century horror movie appearance. And boy, even after 20 years away from the genre does he thrill me. Atkins brings the perfect mixture of gravitas and humor to the role; he always feels like the guy who most 'gets it.' Also delightful to see: Kevin Tighe, one of our great modern character actors. Both old-timers bring a nice weight to the movie, keeping it from floating away into the CW stratosphere.

While I really enjoyed MBV3D, there are two things that must be noted: this film is likely worthless in 2D, and not every theater will be showing it in three dimensions. Unlike other modern 3D movies that emplot the technology for 'depth' or 'atmosphere' or some such poo poo, MBV3D bear hugs the gimmick aspect, which means that like Friday the 13th Part 3 3D or Jaws 3D, what's fun when you're wearing the glasses will come across as cheesy without them. Also, the entire movie looks like a cheap made for cable production; MBV3D is shot on digital video and it seems like cinematographer Brian Pearson (DP on Karate Dog) just didn't know what to do with the Red camera. This film is a cautionary tale in the use of digital video - in the right hands it can be gorgeous, but when not lit properly everything looks like a public access show.

Many people proclaimed the slasher film dead after Scream deconstructed it, but I knew that like the killers themselves, the slasher movie was just waiting for the right moment to sit back up and come back for a sequel. 2009 sees My Bloody Valentine, Friday the 13th and Halloween in theaters again. A Nightmare on Elm Street is coming back. The genre is returning, and it's returning to its roots, eschewing the jokey, tongue in cheek bullshit and remembering that when done right, a solid, simple stalk and slash picture can be a lot of fun on a Friday night. This film won't win any converts over to the genre - My Bloody Valentine 3D doesn't reinvent the rules, subvert expectations are offer anything new. It simply takes what's worked before, mixes them together well, applies some 3D and brings the results to you in a well-made, well-paced, well-done way. My Bloody Valentine is an in-your-face bit of bloody fun that's guaranteed to thrill those looking for a gory good time.

8 out of 10

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 22, 2008

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Looks like My Bloody Valentine 3-D will only be playing in 3-D in 900 screens, it will show in 2-D in 1600 screens, who is going to want to see this in 2-D?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Here is a MBV clip.
http://www.youtube.com/user/mybloodyvalentine3d

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Pet Rock Band posted:

Friday the 13th has already staked out February 13th, and it wouldn't be that great of an idea to go head to head with the exact same sort of movie.

I'm super excited for these two, but my only problem is convincing any of my friends to see them with me opening night :(

Normally I have this problem, not this year.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
In my opinion the worst Fridays are Jason Goes To Hell and Part 8.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Gyges posted:

3 is entirely redeemed by the death immediately following Jason getting his Hockey Mask. It took forever, but the girl's dialog is so hilarious as she slowly, so very slowly, comes to realize that the guy in the Hockey Mask aiming an arrow at her head isn't that lovable prankster Shelly.

That fack that Shelly is short and fat should of tipped her off.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

UncleMonkey posted:

I'm about 99.9% positive I read that Zombie is currently working on a sequel, but I can't for the life of me remember where I read it now.

Pretty much being reported on every horror site at the moment.
Here is one casting call report.
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/14791
It's aiming to be released in October I think, or maybe August again, can't remember.
They should re name Michael Myers The White Trash Killer.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
First My Bloody Valentine clip, this looks awsome, that would look killer in 3-D but it works decently in 2-D also :)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N3hxazLMUsA

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Oh my God, Paramount are re releasing Friday The 13th Parts 2-8 on DVD in the UK (They don't own part 1 here, Warner do) and they game them all new artworks and by god they are terrible.
Have they no shame? Have thdy not heard the phrase, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Does anyone even get killed with a meat cleaver in The New Blood, or for that matter, an axe in Takes Manhattan? I'm pretty sure the rest are accurate

edit: actually, I think the pickaxe on part II is wrong too. I can't remember anyone getting it with a pickaxe in any of the Friday movies.

I remember him chasing Ginny around with a Pick Axe in Part 2, don't think he killed anyone with it.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Holy poo poo Pickles, Shock Till You Drop posted some uncut clips from the original My Bloody Valentine, it's beautiful.
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9052

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I just read online that lionsgate are very close to bankrupsy with recent bombs like The Spirit, Disaster Movie, Bangkok Dangrous and are pretty much relying on My Bloody Valentine to be a hit to stay a float.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/01/02/will-lionsgate-be-the-next-studio-to-kick-the-bucket/

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I think it would be funny if MBV was a big hit and Lionsgate released one every year around Feb 14th.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Fangoria have a review for My BLoody Valentine up
http://www.fangoria.com/reviews/2-film/934-my-bloody-valentine-3d-film-review.html

fangoria posted:

Take the 3-D out of it and VALENTINE is really no different from average direct-to-DVD slasher fodder, albeit not a bad example by any means. And as the current slate of remakes goes, this new MY BLOODY VALENTINE measures up decently to the original, which was neither the best nor the worst of the lot (though it works better now as a nostalgia piece), and is a fairly respectful retelling. But all of this is irrelevant, since the new BLOODY VALENTINE was made to be seen and experienced in three dimensions (the first horror film shot with the Real D process) and this is what gives the film the large majority of its entertainment value. If you don’t experience this one in a theater in 3-D, you’ll be missing out on all the fun.

For those who are fans of the original, you’ll be pleased to know that MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D is not a “reimagining” of the original but rather a pretty straightforward remake, keeping a large majority of the 1981 film’s storyline and characters and making certain changes that work for the better. One of the things that set the first movie apart was the fact that it was populated mainly by adults and not horny teenagers, and the new version takes the same course, although these leads are mainly young adults. It retains the same plot structure—deranged miner slaughters his co-workers and townsfolk before supposedly being killed himself, and a new series of murders occur years later, along with the love-triangle subplot and murder-mystery aspect (which Todd Farmer and Zane Smith’s script works fairly hard to keep us guessing about). None of this makes for truly riveting drama, but it all works as best it can, and as a plotline to basically connect a bunch of gory 3-D killings, it is reasonably watchable on these terms.

The casting is actually a big help, and the performers all acquit themselves nicely under the circumstances: SUPERNATURAL’s Jensen Ackles is able to keep his character’s sanity questionable while still giving us a reason to care for his plight, while Jaime King takes her somewhat thankless role beyond being a mere scream queen, and Betsy Rue has a memorably lengthy full-frontal nude scene that she plays so well, you eventually forget the nudity and focus on the scene (and considering how good she looks, that’s saying something). But it’s old pros Kevin (LOST) Tighe and the great Tom (CREEPSHOW) Atkins who add real zest to the film, and it’s especially wonderful to see Atkins back in the horror genre again, almost as if nothing has changed. It’s also to the film’s credit that his casting doesn’t serve as just an in-joke for the fans, but as simply getting the best actor possible for the role.

Of course, it’s the last part of MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D’s title that is the film’s real raison d’etre. Say what you will about the overall feature, but you can’t deny that director Patrick Lussier delivers the 3-D goods, but real good. Lussier is also Wes Craven’s editor and he certainly knows his pacing, but VALENTINE’s opening 15 minutes are so enjoyably over-the-top, and know how to meet audience expectations so well, that once the film settles down into its story, the director’s already got us where he wants us. There’s at least one cool dimensional highlight per reel, and the movie piles on so much gore that you have to wonder what the MPAA saw before VALENTINE that made them so jaded that they gave this one a pass. It’s delightfully old-school in the blood-’n’-guts department, and while there may not be as memorable a death as the laundromat scene in the previous version (though Rue’s nude demise comes pretty darn close), the filmmakers take so much delight in delivering all the mayhem in 3-D that it easily brushes the film’s shortcomings aside.

Like most slashers, MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D isn’t great art or even great horror cinema, but it proves that with a little showmanship, you can have no problem sitting back and enjoying yourself or recommending it to friends. This is not one of those instances where you can tell people to wait for the DVD, because without the 3-D experience (especially if the theater is packed with fellow fans), it would lose its luster and what you’d be left with, while decent, is nothing too special. But once you put on those 3-D glasses, you’ll be dodging pickaxes and shielding yourself from blood that doesn’t quite make its way from the screen onto you, and that’s what MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D is really all about. I’m not sure if nothing says date movie like a 3-D ride to hell, but a good time at the movies like this will certainly give you something to remember past Valentine’s Day.
3/4

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 6, 2009

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
My Bloody Valentine 3-D opens this coming Friday, so looking forwards to this.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Both Dread Central.com and Bloody Disgusting have My Bloody Valentine reviews up.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/my-bloody-valentine-3d-2009

Dread Central posted:

I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve grown tired of the remake trend currently running rampant in Hollywood. For the most part I’d rather see the work of new, fresh voices than calculated retreads designed solely to market familiar franchise names. Most films that worked perfectly well the first time have only suffered upon being remade. That said, George Mihalka’s 1981 slasher film My Bloody Valentine isn’t exactly a widely celebrated genre classic. Rather, it’s a minor Canadian cult film known for having one of the more intimidating killers in the genre as well as being an early victim of the MPAA’s slice-and-dice attitude when it came to gore in the Eighties. The first issue of Fangoria that I ever read had a feature story on My Bloody Valentine – the article was chock full of photos depicting shockingly gory kills. When I finally got a chance to see the film, those gory shots had all been excised. While the film certainly worked as a reasonably decent example of the slasher subgenre, it lacked that gory “oomph” that the Fango article had promised.

Patrick Lussier’s respectful 3D remake definitely doesn’t suffer from a lack of gore. This is an R-rated horror film through and through. My Bloody Valentine is bursting with gory kills and loads of nudity, all delivered in three glorious dimensions.

Fans of the original will no doubt be pleased that screenwriters Todd Farmer and Zane Smith have stayed respectfully true to the source material. Indeed, the remake’s storyline hews extremely close to Mihalka’s film. Deranged miner Harry Warden wreaks havoc on the citizens of the small Pennsylvania coal town and is then supposedly killed himself. Ten years later the murders start up again, and soon enough severed hearts are being delivered in candy boxes. Caught in the middle of the mayhem is town pariah Tom Hanniger ("Supernatural" star Jensen Ackles), who hit the road shortly after Warden’s massacre, only to return in the middle of the new spate of murders.

Upon his return, Tom finds his ex-girlfriend Sarah (Sin City's Jaime King) married to his old rival Axel Palmer (Final Destination's Kerr Smith), who has recently become the town sheriff. Is it mere coincidence that the new spree of slaughter kicks into high gear just after Tom’s return? Is someone mimicking Harry Warden’s vicious m.o.? But wait; Harry’s body was never found so maybe the man himself is responsible. This mystery comprises the bulk of the film, and although it’s not difficult to discern the real killer at the outset, the story is considerably helped by a group of actors who invest their all into it. Better yet, these characters are adults, not typical Twilight tweeners, and it lends a sense of seriousness to the proceedings that has been missing in recent teen-oriented trash like the awful Prom Night remake. Lussier and company even had the good sense to cast cult favorite genre god Tom Atkins in a prominent role – and it’s not a stunt cameo but rather a character who genuinely affects the story’s outcome.

But let’s cut to the chase. The real reason this new iteration of My Bloody Valentine has garnered interest is, of course, the 3D aspect. And that’s where the film delivers in spades. This is the first film shot using the “Real D” process, and Lussier takes full advantage of it. The film wisely rolls out its 3D gags about every five minutes. And they’re terrific gags – we get gouged eyeballs, flying viscera, spinning pickaxes and a boatload of nudity. Indeed, there’s a terrific scene in which actress Betsy Rue fights for her life against the killer while she’s wearing nothing but a pair of stiletto heels (and extra kudos to Ms. Rue for actually giving a real performance in the midst of her nude cavorting). The kills come fast and furious, rarely letting the viewer catch a breath before the next grisly act is rolled out. The scenes in the mines during the climax were all shot to maximum claustrophobic effect, and the 3D here was so exceptional that I felt completely involved in the film.

Would the film work as well projected two-dimensionally? Not really. It’s a fairly predictable thriller that recalls countless other mid-budget slashers, but there’s a truly visceral thrill to be had by being so involved in the action. 3D may still be a gimmick, but it’s certainly come a long way since its inception in the Fifties. As a fun, involving 3D experience, My Bloody Valentine 3D is completely deserving of a five-knife review. As a straight horror film, however, I'll give it a three-and-a-half with a qualifier that it must be seen in its intended format. If there’s a theater anywhere near you projecting it properly, by all means run out and see it, preferably with a large group of people – there’s no better way to appreciate this fun, gory thrill ride.

3.5/5

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/1755

Bloody Disgusting posted:

*Minor spoilers follow in 5th paragraph

There’s nothing sweeter that watching a film that knows exactly what it is. At no point does Patrick Lussier’s MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D pretend to be anything but a mindless slasher film straight out of your DVD collection. The film is jammed with great kills, loads of gore and plenty of laughs and is sure to keep the hardcore horror nut entertained for most of its 101 minute running time.

In the remake of the classic ‘80s film of the same name (sans 3-D), Tom (Jensen Ackles) returns to his hometown on the tenth anniversary of the Valentine's night massacre that claimed the life of 22 people. Instead of a homecoming, Tom finds himself suspected of committing the murders while he claims that “Harry Warden,” the murderer from 10 years ago who was allegedly killed, has returned from the dead and is the murderer.

The best way to describe Lionsgate’s film is as a ‘90s style whodunit with an ‘80s feel. The shoddy locations, cookie-cutter characters and generic “who’s the killer?” plot were derived straight out the ‘90s, where films like SCREAM, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER and URBAN LEGENDS mucked up the cinema. And yet, hiding behind those beautiful blue eyes was the heart of the ‘80s showing up right there in a Valentine’s Day chocolate box.

It all begins with ‘80s horror legend Tom Atkins (THE FOG, CREEPSHOW, HALLOWEEN III, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK) nearly stealing the show as Detective Burke. Writers Todd Farmer and Zane Smith never cheapen his performance to that of a gimmick and give him solid on-camera time that’s as blissful as watching someone get a pickaxe to the skull.

Speaking of pickaxes to the skull, what I loved about MBV was that there was obvious thought put behind the kills. It’s annoying when a character like Michael Myers has a knife and literally just stabs or slashes every victim’s throat with a load audio sting in the background. It’s obvious that Smith, Farmer and Lussier are horror fans because they really took some time in coming up with some of the most unique and fun kill scenes ever to grace the big screen. There are some seriously f*cked up scenes that range from midget murder to watching a naked chick run around hiding from the killer for nearly five whole minutes. While it might sound cheesy, the fact of the matter is it’s fun. Even writer Todd Farmer cameos (in one of my favorite scenes) as a douche bag trucker who gets what’s coming to him.

While the movie is pure popcorn entertainment, it still has its share of flaws that range from its pacing issues to the poor TV acting and line delivery. It’s also expected that we have a high level of suspension of disbelief as characters age ten years and look exactly the same and police officers continually go off on their own without calling for backup. One of the most obvious downfalls of the film are the cheap locations and lack of extras that make the film look more like a fantasy than something that would take place in the real world.

Even through all the flaws, there is enough blood, guts, gore and laughs to get you through the entire film. But wait a second, MBV was in 3-D, wasn’t it?! It sure was and the fact that the 3-D isn’t what makes this film good is where it gains its gold star (or smiley face, whichever you prefer). The 3-D aspects of MBV are just an added bonus; they’ve taken a fun film and thrown it in 3-D just for the f*ck of it. While there are a few gimmicky 3-dimensional moments, it impressed me that Lussier didn’t resort to the cheap shots just to make it entertaining. The new technology is pretty incredible: instead of everything coming “out” of the screening, everything within it becomes three-dimensional. The movie was filled with depth that made it feel as if they were acting the entire movie out right in front of you. But the most impressive part of the whole experience for me was that there were no trails, and it was crisp and clear (if only the cinematography was better).

The shocking revelation with MBV is that the film is good with or without the 3-D. Obviously I hope you get a chance to experience the film in all of its 3-dimensional glory, but even if you miss out, you’re still in for one hell of a great time. Grab a giant bucket of popcorn, sit back and enjoy one of the most entertaining theater experiences you’ll have in a long time (or at least until FINAL DESTINATION hits theaters in 3-D).

Score: 7 / 10

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
It's kind of funny clicking on Rotten Tomatoes and seeing MBV at 100%

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

weekly font posted:

So I watched MBV to get in the mood for tomorrow night, which I haven't seen in forever. I could have sworn there was a kill where someone takes a bayonet through the mouth, but clearly I'm thinking of another movie. Help which one is it :(

The Prowler Maybe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiwvv8eMf8s
If he want's you, he'll find you.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
What where the screenings like you guyswent to? How full? How did audience react to movie?

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Wow, I really liked this movie, it was a hell of a lot of fun.
Had some great chase sequences and some cool kills. I kind of wished they had some more creative deaths though.
My biggest complaint was probably the ending when they revealed who the killer was, that was very disapointing.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I'm heading out to see MBV for second time.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

The Remote Viewer posted:

I missed the entire opening sequence.

Sems like you missed about 40% of the movie if you missed that scene.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
Nice to see when My Bloody Valentine is doing better then Prom Night and When A Stranger Calls.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
There is yet another remake someone out in October. It's called Sorority Row and it's a remake of another one of my favorites, The House On Sorority Row.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

I liked Bloodlines. It's pretty hard to find horror movies I don't enjoy on some level although they're trying really hard this year to change that with The Unborn and MBV.

However, Final Destination is one of my favorite horror movies of all time, and I really enjoyed Butterfly Effect too so take that how you will.

Try watching The Butterfly Effect 2 and get back to us about movies you don't enjoy on some level.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Darko posted:

The biggest problem with the TCM sequel was that you knew nobody would survive, so it kind of made most of the movie pointless. Instead of "how, or will this character get out of this," it was "how do all of these characters end up getting killed?"

I thought that movie would end with her getting away and everyone thinking she's covering for the two boys draft dodging or something like that.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

Darko posted:

Don't do it man.

That movie makes no sense at all. The government men show up because it's some secret conspiracy to scare people for some stupid reason, except they also kill people too which kind of defeats the purpose, and, uh, I don't feel like thinking about that dumb movie anymore.

There is a point early on in the movie where they go one about how they are responsible for the assassination of JFK.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

PsychoGoatee posted:

Good choice, my man. If it sounds awesome, it probably is awesome. :c00l:

I made a clip show of it awhile ago, it was more to show scenes of Matthew And Renee before they where famous, doesn't show anything from the goverment guys, does show some of the movies crazyness though.
Also it's VERY spoiler heavy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYcuvVGi9c8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
I'm going to try get through Friday The 13th 1-11 between now and next Friday.