Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

JammyLammy posted:

Watching the show "Fear Itself" and it is terrible :( I'm trying to put my finger on why, it has some of the same people who worked on Master of Horror and that was good (especially the later episodes/season).

Is it just impossible to make something horror based but safe for tv? That shouldn't be right though, horror shouldn't just have to rely on blood and gore shots for a R-rating, but everytime I see a horror movie/show with a pg or pg-13 rating, it just seems to suck.

edit: I guess the intro part is alright, not as good as Master of Horror though. :\

There were a couple decent episodes in Season 1 (is there even a Season 2?). But it is certainly no Master of Horror. I liked the one where the woman was a zombie and she didn't know it yet, even though I guessed what was going on about 5 minutes in, and the one where the three brothers run into those sisters in the woods taking care of the vampire was OK. The rest were pretty awful though.

It can be hard to do anthology horror right on Network TV. "Monsters" and the first couple seasons of "Tales from the Darkside" did a pretty good job though.

bad movie knight posted:

I really liked the Brad Anderson-directed episode with the P.I. haunted by ghosts from his past, and Mary Harron's "Community." Haven't watched the rest though.

See both of those struck me more as "mysteries" than "horror". The above comparison to Goosebumps or Are you Afraid of the Dark is pretty apt, I think. Both the episodes you mention were well done from a technical standpoint I suppose I just didn't find think they were really what I would define as horror.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I haven't yet seen the movie and I can't resist spoiler tags. Oh well. Still going to watch it and judge for myself, of course.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Slasherfan posted:

Bouncy camera had me vomiting before the zombies showed up.

That is so weird to me. I can't ride any amusement park ride that even incidentally turns around in a circle without being violently ill for the rest of the day. But bouncy-camera movies don't affect me at all. I really enjoyed the first REC I am kind of saddened to know there's a second one as I doubt it will be as good.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

the_psychologist posted:

Dead Set (three-part series, UK)

Has anyone seen this? It's extremely British, but it's also one of the hardest zombie stories around. Dark humor and quite nasty (realistic?) gore make this something classic.

Top 3 of Zombie Media

Would it be under any other name? I can't seem to find it on Netflix. No zombie movie goes unwatched by me.

I've been getting around to watching some of the things on Netflix streaming that I had only a passing interest in since there's no cool video games to play right now. Last night I watched The Lost, based on the book by Jack Ketchum. Ketchum is an unabashed misogynist, but the The Lost was an OK book from what I remember, having read it years ago.

The movie however was a hot mess and could have used some generous editing. It has like a 2 hour running time for a story that could essentially be told in an hour. Parts of it were so boring I was dozing off. There was no focus and plotlines meandered all over the place. The end is out of tone with the entire rest of the movie as well. So much so that my wife commented we went from "Murder She Wrote" to "L'Interieur" in the space of one movie. Bleh!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And nowhere near as boring as Salo is.

THANK YOU. Why does this movie merit addition to "The Criterion Collection"? It is (literally) poo poo.

Anyone else plumbing the hilariously bad depths of Netflix instant lately?

I watched Skinned Alive (aka "Eat Your Heart Out") last night. My god, what a laughably bad movie. Lots of tits though so 13 year-old me was stoked.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

bad movie knight posted:

I can verify it has a plot -- at least, as much of a plot as The Human Centipede.

I understand why it's an entry in the Criterion collection; it's well-made, has a point and was frequently censored, so it's important to have an uncensored work of a fine director. It's worth seeing; I've seen it twice, the first time to see what the gently caress the big fuss was and the second time to verify that I'd actually seen it.

I guess I missed the point, but given the kinds of cinema and other entertainment I am prone to enjoying, that is not a surprise. I am a Miller Lite and Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer kind of guy although I will watch anything that other people find shocking or offensive, hence being drawn to Salo. But at the end of the day after a movie is over I'd rather take a piss and say "that was awesome" than go discuss it with my friends over a glass of chablis. At the end of Salo I just sort of thought "hmm, that was loving weird and mostly boring". NEXT!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Slasherfan posted:

My mate shows me some movies like this and they just don't interest me at all. He showed me one movie, I can't remember what it was called, I think it was Man Behind The Sun but not to sure. It was just one vile thing after the next with hardly any plot or character development. He loves showing me these Ilsa movies also, wish I could erase those from my brain.

Hey buddy, back off Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS :colbert:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

InfiniteZero posted:

File this under "one of the worst ideas ever":
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/05/17/george-romero-remaking-dario-argentos-deep-red-in-3d/

Deep Red doesn't need to be in 3D, and Romero hasn't exactly been knocking them out of the park lately anyway. In the meantime, Argento is apparently working on Dracula 3D, and in other news InfiniteZero is barricading himself inside his house with plans to never go out again because the world has obviously gone crazy.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I like Romero and I would get gay married to Dario, but please no.

I also like Rum and Beer, but I never mix them together.

I'm not anti-remake (I like the new F13 for example), but Profundo Russo must remain unsullied!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Volume posted:

When you don't know the twist and

C'mon. Did anyone seriously not guess it within 20 minutes of the movie starting? I mean normally I am bad at that poo poo but even I knew who the killer was by the first time I had to get another beer.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Namirsolo posted:

"Wow, a movie is showing a girl masturbating and she's not insane."

Honestly this is what made me guess it so early. The skull-loving didn't reconcile but I figured it'd be explained. Turns out it really wasn't, at least in a non-metaphorical sense, but I was right anyway!

Even in foreign films of this type women who are sexual on screen are either the punished or the punisher.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Salsa McManus posted:

Goons I hope you can help me. When I was a child I was watching a movie on Cinemax, it has stuck with me for a very, very long time, and all what I remember is one scene. I would love to know what movie it is so I could sit down and watch it as an adult.

The scene was a young man/boy has mental powers and leviatates a woman in the air in the middle of a room and begins to spin her. After several seconds all the blood in her body begins to flow through her skin, eyes, ears, and nose and coat the room in blood.

If anyone knows this damned scene and can tell me the title of the movie I would love you forever. It has literally been on the back of my mind for 12 years.

The Fury, with Kirk Douglas directed by Brian DePalma. It's no Scanners, which was made around the same time, has basically the same plot and is way better, but it's a'ight.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Whispering Machines posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for horror in Netflix's instant viewing? I've already seen a bunch of them, ie. Grace, Thirst, A Tale of Two Sisters, Orphanage, etc.

It's Alive
Teeth (more of a black comedy)
Puppet Master
Let the Right One In
Audition (if its still on there)
Popcorn
Quarantine

I wish I could recommend Murder Set Pieces but they have the edited version on Instant. :(

Masters of Horror Episodes:
The Washingtonians
Jenifer
Haeckel's Tale

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Haha looks like I missed a good argument after I posted my suggestions!

I recommended Quarantine because most regular people who are not sperglords couldn't give a poo poo that the exact same movie was made earlier but in Spanish.

Murder Set Pieces is interesting as a serious attempt at going over the top with gore and misogyny. It pushes the boundaries of all that is decent, even if it isn't terribly original or good.

And also I am in my 30's and enjoy turning my brain off and enjoying movies!

e: I love Guillermo Del Toro toooooooooo
e2: and Drood *is* awesome, I am just finishing it up.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

bad movie knight posted:

So no amount of unconstrained stupidity in the making of a film is enough to deter you so long as it has -- what? -- bright colors, explosions and maybe some tits?
I bought it to read on a flight and promptly fell asleep (not the book's fault).

Gore and tits. In that order. Order was the reverse until I was about 22. I certainly don't hate thought provoking movies but movies that I buy to watch over and over again, the movies that I like to talk about on message boards, etc... are almost universally gore, splatter, exploitation, trash, sleaze, etc. Movies with virtually no redeeming qualities. I was the kid who read Gorezone, Cinefantastique, and Fangoria in 4th grade.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

bad movie knight posted:

The two aren't mutually exclusive though. There are intelligent horror movies that are absolutely drenched in blood -- taking it back to the French here.

I don't disagree with you here - but I am certainly free to like both L'Interieur and Friday the 13th, for independent reasons.

Also, to ape a goon from a page or two back: it's interesting how incredibly violent films can become "intelligent horror" when they are critically acclaimed or foreign.

As for gore for its own sake - I don't know. I ceased to "get" anything out of it a long time ago. It is amusing, it's cool, if it is done in a unique way it can make you laugh and be curious about how they did it. I like to watch other people be grossed out by something that has basically no effect on me.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

IceNiner posted:

I'm in agreement here. Deadgirl is totally worth watching at least once. If you're a guy, you'll be transported back to your high school days when you and your buddies would sit around having conversations like "Would you hit a chick if she had just died?" "Would you hit this really hot chick if she had pus dripping out of her cooch?" :razz: and so forth.

Aside from that, they do manage to cover some pretty powerful social and character issues given that it starts off with such a simple premise.

And the classic "would you lick her rear end, even if it was all poopy"? (The answer was always yes)

I thought Deadgirl was a well written take on anti-feminism, albeit somewhat depraved. I liked it quite a bit, but I have trouble recommending it to people since it takes a certain type of person to understand the movie for what it is and not for what it presents as.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Whispering Machines posted:

I posted JT in the villains thread and some goon decided to watch the movie based on that and now he hates me :ohdear:

I just watched Repo! The Genetic Opera because its horror opera and that might be interesting right? Maybe if I was 15 again. :/

Repo! definitely reminded me of something the drama club kids at my high school would have liked. It was an even trashier (?) Rocky Horror. I thought it was boring.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I just caught Frontier(s) on Instant last night and I have to say I was really impressed. I liked it better than High Tension, to be honest. I'm surprised, because the "8 Films to Die For" are in general pretty low quality from year to year. This is a standout of the entire run, in my opinion.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I enjoy the comic, and will definitely give a TV series based on it a chance. I'm actually kind of excited to see it.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

JammyLammy posted:

For the life of me I've been trying to remember what the name of this movie is. I can only remember one scene I saw briefly as a child when my dad was flipping through channels (he wouldn't let me watch because he though it would be to scary for me)

I just remember some big red man-like monster through a door and another scene where you see a birthday cake but instead of candles it was a person's fingers.

I can't really remember much else besides that, hell can't even remember if those scenes were sequential, or if it was part of some horror anthology movie. For the longest time I always through it was creepshow, but that doesn't seem right.

Any idea what this might be from? Sorry for the very vague descriptions.

I'm virtually certain you are misremembering the first chapter of the original Creepshow. The lighting at the end where the zombie is in the kitchen with the remaining people is done in such a way that everything is either blue or red (a very cool way to make it seem more like a comic book). As soon as you get a shot of the zombie lit up in red, the camera pans out and he is holding a birthday cake with a severed head on it. (It's Father's Day Bedelia! And I got my cake!) Any reason Creepshow doesn't "seem right"? Watch the first story again and see if that is it. (Also Creepshow owns and is the best movie of all time... see my avatar)

As far as I can remember there has never been a horror movie that I have seen (and I have seen most) wherein fingers were used as candles on a birthday cake.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cats are just waiting until someone invents a can opener that creatures without thumbs can use, once they have that they will probably rise up and murder us all like they've always wanted to.

EDIT:
This could work as a plot to a horror movie where instead of people saying "oh it's just you Mr.Mumbles" when a cat jumps out at them during a tene moment they say "AUUUGHHH!" as the savage cats rip them to bits. Give me 1000 dollars for a few cats, bad actors and some ketchup and I can have such a movie ready in a less then a week.

ECUs on the cats licking the ketchup for extra realism! :3:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
The first Paranormal Activity was mildly entertaining although I got my money's worth more out of the audience (and specifically my terrified wife's) reactions to it than anything else. I don't know that I have any interest in seeing a second film. I know money rules but I wish there was less "lets make a sequel for the gently caress of it".

I stopped watching the Final Destination movies after the second one. I didn't have any particular problem with them, they were sleek and mildly inventive. I guess my beef is that if I want teens in peril by supernatural forces I will watch Nightmare on Elm Street or something similar from my childhood. Sharing taste in horror movies with my 17 year old cousin, regardless of how cool she may be, just shuts me off and I go back to giallo or 80's slasher or whatever. I'm kind of a snob I guess.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Or The Lost Boys, or From Dusk 'Til Dawn, or Near Dark.

The difference between all of those movies and Daybreakers is that the quoted movies don't suck.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Local Group Bus posted:

Edit: Two new King movies in the pipeline. I'm counting on the remake of IT being as good as possible because it seems like the studio are loving around with Pet Sematary to try and make it more teen orientated. Interview with the screenwriter here. IT as a two hour cinema release with an R rating and a less knowing Pennywise? Yes please.

I love It. The book was amazing and of course touched on things that the miniseries couldn't do justice to in its limited run time, like the Lovecraftian "Old-God" like origins of Pennywise and its existence before the creation of the universe. That is the sort of thing that is truly terrifying in my opinion. I hope the movie does as good a job as I feel the Network Miniseries did. One good thing (if the movie is in fact R rated) is thatit can touch on some of the depravity of tormentors of the kids and their subsequent fall to Pennywise.

Such a good concept. I'm not generally a huge King fan, but It and The Shining... they are the best.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

A Futbol Injustice posted:

Wasn't really interested in the remake as I think the original is one of the biggest piles of poo poo ever made, but now I am simply because that Dread Central critic said she sets up some "Grand Guignol slaughter scenes." Grand Guignol might as well be my middle name.

Unfortunately most horror film reviewers have no idea what "Grand Guignol" style actually is, not that it stops them from using the adjective. I highly doubt a remake of a rape-revenge flick goes there, but we'll see. I'll watch it anyway since I watch all of this crap because I hate myself.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Do they really think American horror fans are so dumb that we can't read subtitles and need an American English remake of every popular foreign horror film that comes out?

I can't think of a more needless waste of time... oh wait we got Round-Eye Ringu, Gringo REC... waiting for my Lazyass L'Interieur

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

ITS WEEKEND DAD posted:

Yeah, I can't think of too many Irish horror films off the top of my head, other than the much-hated Shrooms and the zombie movie Dead Meat.

Oh, and Rawhead Rex. Which is pretty much the worst movie ever.

I loving loved Rawhead Rex when I was a kid. Sure the movie sucked but I loved Clive Barker even then (I was a weird kid) and the makeup effects on that monster were pretty allright. It looked scary enough to 10 year old me.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Crackerman posted:

Then when everyone came out at the end I could just hear people talking about how poo poo the film was. :psyduck:

gently caress those assholes I loved Drag Me to Hell.

e: As far as adult scares, there aren't many these days. The only thing that terrifies me in a real-world situation is probably the loss of my kids or my wife or someone else close tome in my family through some means I could have controlled but didn't.

Needless to say that's not really a situation that pops up in horror movies very often as child-murdering is still mostly taboo as a subject of even horror films.

One thing that does spring to mind now that I mention it though is the scene in Pet Sematary where little Gage wanders out onto the street and is hit by the passing truck. As a parent, that scene blows me away now although when the film was released I was like "eh, whatever". Even though I know we're supposed to be more scared by his return from the grave as a foul-mouthed psychopath, the scene of his death is very horrifyingly effective with the close up on his little shoe :(

Supernatural poo poo just doesn't scare me like it did when I was 12, although I am still fascinated by zombies and returning from the dead in general. I watch horror movies nowadays so I can be entertained in some way that is indescribable... it's not being scared at all. Horror movies just feel like a comfortable home to me after all these years. Sitting down with a new slasher movie or creature movie means I know exactly what I will be getting 90% of the time and I am ok with that.

PA (aside from the few kinda cheapo jump scares) didn't scare me at all, although I thought it was a clever movie. I certainly don't feel like it needs a sequel but whatever.

I just remembered the last horror "movie" that gave me the willies at least was Dario Argento's contribution to Season 1 of Masters of Horror, Jenifer. The idea of a succubus type monster with a voracious appetite for sex and flesh taking over your mind is pretty weird, plus she was very loving creepy looking. Plus the whole thing kinda plays out like an EC Horror Comic (fitting for a screenplay torn right out of the pages of Creepy I guess), and I loving love EC Horror Comics.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 19, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
As much as I love horror movies and they are a huge part of my life, I have never watched anything other than the original Saw. Which I thought sucked.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

There was a guy in my theater who passed out during the ball cutting scene in Hard Candy. I think some people really don't take that sort of thing well.

People like this are amazing to me. I wish I could have that sort of visceral reaction to a movie anymore. Basically nothing fazes me, ever. I AM DEAD INSIDE

I did laugh like a motherfucker at those Last Exorcism ChatRoulette scenes though. Too funny.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Honest Thief posted:

Saw Body Melt yesterday, I have no idea what that movie was about; the first impression I got was that this was going to be a dark comedy on 80's values, because for some reason I thought it was released on 03.

I watched that a couple nights ago. Nothing made me wish for subtitles on Netflix Instant more than the incomprehensible Aussie accents in that movie. Pretty funny movie though. The tongue scene was well done.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Slasherfan posted:

Looks like there was a screening for Let Me In as reviews have started to come in.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/let-me-2010

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/2230

Dang I was all pumped to hate on this, too. I'll probably check it out if for no other reason than I love the original too much to pass up a remake, regardless of quality.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Slasherfan posted:

It's an 80s movie but I always recommend The Changeling (not the recent movie directed by Clint Eastwood) for someone looking for a good scare.

I love The Changeling!! Along those lines, check out Peter Straub's Ghost Story as well for all your campy 80's spookiness featuring aging British theater actors!

Industrial posted:

Lake Mungo. It is a lot like Paranormal Activity but weirder and leaves more things unexplained. Also the characters are much less annoying.

Lake Mungo was boring as gently caress. I can't believe you recommended it. It wasn't disturbing or eerie or anything, it was just boring. I see later that someone agrees with me, that's what I get for replying to posts as I read them.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 14, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Craig Spradlin posted:

I also liked Lake Mungo, and although I didn't do the thing you spoiled out, I did find myself wondering if they actually found alternate explanations for every sighting or anomaly. I'm tempted to say there were one or two that were still left unexplained at the end. It requires careful attention and careful viewing, which I'd argue many modern horror movies don't. So it comes off as boring to some. Personally, I'm more bored by any of the Saw sequels, but I think I'm more freaked out by the stuff I figure out for myself than things that are handed to me by the movie.

On the other hand, I don't get the love for Timecrimes. It was a neat idea, but it just seemed like it was going to lead up to something much worse than it actually did. It wasn't bad, and it would have made a good short film, but it just wasn't all that scary.

Lake Mungo bored me, and I dislike the Saw films for other reasons. I guess I'm jaded. I've loved the horror/gore/slasher/exploitation genres since I was a wee lad boosting issues of Fangoria and Gorezone from Waldenbooks.

I'll watch almost anything that bills itself as a horror movie (or some sub-genre thereof), and I can't explain exactly what it is that makes me like a movie... but it is hard to achieve.

I really like the recent influx of well done and shockingly gory European slasher/thrillers, but I don't like the senseless and ignorant brutality of say Rob Zombie's Halloween remakes or the Saw films. I'm not even sure I could articulate a distinction to someone who wasn't a horror fan, but I think some people know what I mean. Is it possible to be a snob about such a generally debauched genre of film?

I viewed Lake Mungo as "carefully" as I'm ever apt to view a movie and I just didn't feel it rewarded me for the time spent. Someone earlier compared it to Blair Witch, but I think even that is an unfair comparison as Blair Witch (as trite as it seems now) actually was somewhat suspenseful, at least during the first viewing, and the ending was disturbing despite how cliche it seems a decade later.

My wife asked me why after so many years of overall disappointment I continue to subsist on a film diet composed almost entirely of horror. I didn't really have an answer other than when I find a good one, it takes me back to being 10 years old and watching Creepshow on HBO at 11pm for the first time again.

As for a recent watch that was alright: I just finished watching "Dread", an adaptation from the short story of the same name by Clive Barker. The movie was surprisingly good for a film that emerged from the "After Dark Horrorfest" collection, which gets worse and worse (if that is even possible) each year. It wasn't very faithful to the story at all, so don't go in expecting that and you'll be OK. I wish they would have condensed the middle of the film to be about 20 minutes shorter, but overall the decent ending made for a decent film. I'll view or read anything with Clive Barker's name attached to it so maybe I'm a little biased but I feel like I can recommend this one to the thread based on some other movies people in here seem to like.

StickySweater posted:

Wow, really sell it Amazon.

Hah, yeah. When Ghost Story came out, people hated it. I think it has a lot of charm as a standalone movie though. You're bound to hate it if you're a die-hard fan of the book, I think. I'm one of the few people that like both on their own merits. Thematically though, the movie is quite similar to The Changeling.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Violator posted:

I really find that interesting.

Although I do enjoy the new wave of French horror (like Inside, Martyrs, Haute Tension, etc.), I think they're so much more brutal that they are on a different level than mainstream American horror like Rob Zombie's work. Inside and Martyrs in particular are so heavy and serious in their goal of beating the life out of the viewer that I think they become an experience wholly different than a stereotypical slasher film. I think they're definitely art, but (at least for me) they're experience is a much more difficult one to go through and I think that's part of their goal.

The distinction for me I think is that the violence in (for example) Inside serves to accentuate the direness of the situation the heroine faces and to ratchet up the tension and suspense, whereas Zombie's ham-fisted baseball bat beatings at the hands of his version of Michael Myers have only one perceptible effect on me, which is nausea. One feels like true horror, the other feels like pandering to the same meatheads who probably like Zombie's "music", and I say this as a fan of "House of 1,000 Corpses" which was a much more creative and fun movie than either of the Halloween remakes.

I have no desire to rewatch Inside or High Tension either, but I think that stands as a testament to their effect on my psyche and says nothing about their qualities as art (regardless of what people may say about our preferred genre, those films are art), whereas my lack of desire to rewatch something like Saw 2 stems from entirely different reasons.

As for things like A Serbian Film and to a much lesser extent The Human Centipede, I think those films approach their viewers from an entirely different angle. There is no desire for tension or suspense and no attempt is made to to create such an atmosphere. These films set out to confront you, to push the limits of what people will sit and watch for 90 minutes, and to leave you questioning yourself and your own tastes, in my opinion.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 16, 2010

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

toxick posted:

I can't get into the Japanese splatter films. I liked The Machine Girl enough, and Tokyo Gore Police had its moments, but everything else I've tried watching since has bored the hell out of me. I thought Robo Geisha was going to be amazing but by the halfway point I'd basically lost interest. I didn't even get more than 15 minutes into Samurai Princess and Vampire Girl VS. Frankenstein Girl.

I guess my favorite Japanese splatter film would have to be Meatball Machine. What a weird movie.

Check out "Versus", I bet you will enjoy the hell out of it. (Whether you'll be able to decipher the "plot", of course, is another thing entirely)

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Well... the linked article uses a Bloody Disgusting article as its source and the BD article does not mention a PG13 being sought; although it says the Weinsteins are trying to market it to "teens"... which can still happen with an R rated movie. I mean do they seriously card at theaters now?

That said, the original and the immediate sequel are two of my all-time favorite movies. I was 11 and 13 when they came out, and that is just the prime age for being ingrained with a love for horror movies. All the sleaze and gore and sex... please don't do it Weinsteins!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

jazz babies posted:

I went to go see I Spit On Your Grave last night with a friend not having seen the trailer or really knowing anything about it...

...good lord that was awful. In the horrible, sad, disturbing, "oh poo poo" way.

The two dudes next to us were so freaked, they left shortly before the end of the film.

I haven't been that uncomfortable during a movie in...well, ever.

Was I Spit on Your Grave being screened in your local multiplex or something? I didn't think even the remake got a wide enough release for people to go see it without having heard about it.

I'm kind of chuckling on the inside about walking into something like that without knowing what to expect. So many of us are forced to enjoy these films alone because most people think we're sick or perverted because we like these sorts of movies.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Darko posted:

Yeah, I place that in the same range as I would Creepshow. Has a certain kind of charm and kind of interesting, but I wouldn't call it a "good" film, at the same time (although I wouldn't place it as bad either).

You. Come step around back with me. We got some things to talk about.

Maybe I just love Creepshow because it was constantly on HBO when I was a kid in the 80's and it was the first movie that really really loving scared me. But I dunno it is probably my favorite horror movie of all time and this is from a guy who watches horror almost exclusively. I think part of it was the comic book theme as at the time Creepshow was out heavily on cable (84-86)I was knee-deep in my uncle's "Creepy" and "Eerie" comics collection, as well as reading the copies of "Death Rattle" and "Gore Shriek" he was bringing home which were indie horror comics being produced at the time. I love all of those publications so much I have a half a room donated to them in my house... :shobon:

As far as remakes go I don't judge a film before watching it simply on the fact that it is or is not a remake. I mean, I prefer the (abysmal and depressing) Rob Zombie Halloween remakes to a whole host of lovely "original" material buried in the nether regions of Netflix Instant.

As someone else said, material is a big factor for me and probably next biggest is competency in direction and acting, with a close third being effects. Material that is close to my heart in the form of a remake can be a draw for me but it certainly isn't the only thing to get me to watch a movie nor is it the only thing to make me NOT watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

BisonDollah posted:

I think a part of the problem with Trick 'R Treat is that it didn't feel pulpy enough, there should have been a silly Stephen King as a country bumpkin-style story in there somewhere.

If I were you I wouldn't make much of an effort to see Frontiers, I found it pretty boring. Is there any French film mentioned that's better than Haute Tension, because I doubt it.

L'Interieur (Inside) is better than Haute Tension, at least in my opinion.