Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Is anyone planning to see As Above, So Below? I think a movie set in the Paris Catacombs has the potential to be pretty creepy, and it seems like it will focus more on psychological horror (the thought of literally losing yourself in the maze is terrifying).

I want to go this weekend, but I don't have enough friends who live close to me who appreciate horror movies (and I feel weird going to movies alone). :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Ooh, horror movie challenge lists! This is only my third year doing the "31 Days of October," but I really enjoy it. I try to pick movies I haven't seen yet, and I try to get most of them off of Netflix Instant, but there are a few I will just be ordering off of Netflix this year.

I don't have all 31 choices picked out yet, but here are a few:

Sleepaway Camp (somehow I have seen the sequel and third movie, but not the original)
You're Next
V/H/S/2
Maniac (2012, have not seen original)
The Woman
Absentia
Jason Goes to Hell (I know, I know, but it's the only F13 movie I haven't seen)

E:

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I've never seen any Argento flicks, though I'm a big fan of his daughter's movie The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things, so tonight I think I'm gonna do a double feature of Suspiria followed by Inferno.

Phenomena is the only Argento flick I've seen, but I thought it was pretty good.

katium fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 17, 2014

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Just watched You're Next for Day 1 of 31 Days of Horror, and I can definitely see why it gets so much love in this thread. Any movie that says "gently caress you" to horror conventions by having a smart female protagonist is A-OK with me.

Also, "God, why won't you just die already!?" was funny as hell.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I kept trying to think whether Opera or Phenomena came out first. But yeah, one of them.

Phenomena came out in 1985, Opera 1987. Haven't seen the latter, but the former is great.

I watched Shallow Ground last night at the suggestion of a friend for my horror movie challenge. I thought it was pretty creepy and well done, especially the last 20 minutes (the preserved bodies scene is nightmare fuel). Plus I watched it right before American Horror Story, which was also goddamn amazing (that clown :stare:).

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I was having a discussion with a fellow horror fan the other day about what makes horror movies scary, and I commented that movies that don't show (or show very little of) the creature or death scenes* are scarier to me. He says there are some instances where showing the creature or death can be scarier, but I can't think of any offhand. Thoughts?

*I do think showing the *aftermath* of a death can be frightening, but not necessarily the death as it's happening.

E:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hellraiser

Truth, I will accept that exception.

katium fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 25, 2014

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Battle Royale? Not as "extreme" as Ichi the Killer, but it's horrifying in a different way.

Also, a Google search for extreme Asian horror led me to this site: http://www.horror-extreme.com/asian-horror-movies/

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I know Pumpkinhead was supposed to be about revenge, but I found it quite sad. Seconding Citadel; I hadn't heard of it until I saw it on Netflix, but it's quite a gem IMO.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Eraserhead. I watched that for the first time as part of my October movie challenge. Have rewatched it at least 3 times since then, and I still have no idea what the gently caress is going on.

E: From what I've heard, most of David Lynch's movies are very surreal. The only other one I've seen is Mulholland Drive, and that definitely falls into the "surreal" category.

katium fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 8, 2014

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Seconding 2001 Maniacs. Also, it's a horror comedy, but everyone should watch Tucker and Dale vs. Evil.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Jonny Angel posted:

I know this is kinda a weird request since it sorta requires that the answers be put in spoiler tags, but can anyone recommend some good horror movies with happy endings? I'm in the specific kind of mood for that balance.

Mimic (I've not seen the sequels, but the original actually has characters you give a poo poo about)

I guess you could argue if it's "good" or not (I thought it was): Sometimes They Come Back

Do horror comedies count?
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
House

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

Alvarez IV posted:

I'm having a really miserable winter and I need to shock myself out of complacency, so I'm looking for particularly extreme examples of disturbing films. The kind of movies where, after you see them, you're hoping that whoever made or liked them is locked up someplace. My frame of reference would be something like A Serbian Film or Salo or the tail end of Megan Is Missing, although your examples don't have to be sexual (or good, for that matter), they can just be insanely bleak or violent or whatever else makes me feel dirty afterwards. Think the kind of movie that exists inside another movie which is trying to make a ham-handed point about the depravity of mankind. No real-life snuff films.

I Spit On Your Grave
Last House on the Left

I've only seen the original (1978), so I can't speak for the remake (2010). LHOTL I have only seen the remake (2009), not original (1972).

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
AASB is effective because the thought of being lost and/or trapped forever in a dark, enclosed space is goddamn terrifying.

See also: The Descent and Catacombs.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.

schwenz posted:

that's so sad.

e: at least you have the blood test scene in The Thing. Hold on to that. It's the second best.

Defibrillator scene also. I nearly hit the drat ceiling the first time I saw that.

Insidious had a few decent jump scares.

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
What do people think of the Final Destination series? I always thought the concept was pretty interesting. Death is something a lot of people fear, and the idea that you're supposed to die on a specific day, at a specific time, in a specific place is really kind of frightening.

The first movie is really quite creepy, actually, and is probably the only "straight" horror of the series. The deaths get more creative in the sequels, but that's really all they have going for them (though the tanning bed death in FD3 has pretty much convinced me to stay the hell away from tanning salons.

Also, Tony Todd's character is just the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
I liked the guy who won the lottery. Poor guy escapes a burning building, only to slip on the pasta he threw out and have a ladder rammed through his eye.