Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Stanley Pain posted:

I see someone here who doesn't actually work for a "big company". ;)

I received a document the other day in Word 2003 format. 2003? Really? WTF are you doing with Office 2003? This is the same type of company that would be paying Microsoft maintenance for the last 11 years, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'm wondering when the XP OS will finally go out of vogue. The amount of businesses still relying on it is very impressive.

We're coming up on thirteen years since it was RTM (8/24/01) and it still has a significant presence (convenience and economics being the two primary reasons in my experience).

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
At work we've got a $30,000 piece of equipment that depends on a 16 bit windows program to run. I'll bet we're still running XP in 10 years.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ynglaur posted:

I received a document the other day in Word 2003 format. 2003? Really? WTF are you doing with Office 2003? This is the same type of company that would be paying Microsoft maintenance for the last 11 years, too.

I've converted a lot of offices to OpenOffice/LibreOffice and they'll often fall back to Office 2003 format since it's the 'safest' cross-compatible format, since OO still does funky things with 2013 word docs/spreadsheets.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ynglaur posted:

Uh yeah dude a lot of stuff uses normal 97-2003 DOC because it's readable in much more things than DOCX.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

Large corporations tend to have very large "things" running very large and important processes. Where I work one of our major billing systems still runs on a mainframe, coded in COBOL. So yeah, unless you've actually worked for a very large corporation, it might seem strange that old programs are being used.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Old programs don't faze me. I've replaced systems which themselves had replaced punchcard systems 30 years ago. What surprises me are companies who don't take relatively easy productivity and security upgrades. People who save and old format for compatibility reasons makes sense; people who can't use newer formats because they're stuck in 2002 make me sad.

Edit: VVV Two good counter-points below.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 20, 2014

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

"Relatively easy productivity and security upgrades" often don't get used much for the first part, and in most cases don't supply the latter (unless it's out of support). Docx compatibility was patched into every version of word after '97 - so, 200x and XP, so format compatibility is not really an issue.

Ultimately the logic is backwards, large companies are only going to upgrade after the new version has a track record of reliability and compatibility, because "it just working" is their number one priority, and the people holding the money are usually pretty immune to nebulous claims of "increased workflow and progressively streamlines e-business customer interactions, allows the incorporation of professionally built goal-oriented process improvements into your employees output".

This also ignores that upgrade costs are near-linear after a point, so large businesses are no more immune to a per-workstation upgrade cost than small ones.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Khablam posted:

"Relatively easy productivity and security upgrades" often don't get used much for the first part, and in most cases don't supply the latter (unless it's out of support). Docx compatibility was patched into every version of word after '97 - so, 200x and XP, so format compatibility is not really an issue.

Ultimately the logic is backwards, large companies are only going to upgrade after the new version has a track record of reliability and compatibility, because "it just working" is their number one priority, and the people holding the money are usually pretty immune to nebulous claims of "increased workflow and progressively streamlines e-business customer interactions, allows the incorporation of professionally built goal-oriented process improvements into your employees output".

This also ignores that upgrade costs are near-linear after a point, so large businesses are no more immune to a per-workstation upgrade cost than small ones.
Format compatibility is an issue as not everyone uses Microsoft Word.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I feel sorry for the scrubs stuck with WordPerfect 6, but every modern office suite can open docx.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Unless you dig around KDE distro lists for some unheard of editor, they all support Word files. Really the only one that never did, was MS Works, as bundled with every crappy beige tower in the early '00s. All but certainly deliberately, so that you had a reason to upgrade to Word.

Back-tracking to the original statement though, not upgrading from XP is just a liability by now, and one everyone should be fixing. You can virtualize the one program you need that doesn't work in Win 7 - assuming it's one that actually doesn't work, and isn't simply solved by installing outside of program files like most 'incompatible' programs.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Crossbar posted:

At work we've got a $30,000 piece of equipment that depends on a 16 bit windows program to run. I'll bet we're still running XP in 10 years.

Lemme guess, It's some sort of CNC that involves lasers and metal isn't it?

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Well? Don't leave us hanging.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

internet jerk posted:

Well? Don't leave us hanging.

While I don't know what he's running I work for a city/school system and one of the schools has a sign that you can program messages on. It runs on Windows 95 with a hardware key. The company no longest exists and we don't have install media. I'm petrified of this thing dying every time there is a ticket about it. Thankfully I'm normally not someone going out to the schools and instead removing viruses from Police Cruiser computers, or Dispatch.

Search Conduit seems to be making rounds again at the PD, it seemed to have died for a few months anyone else see an increase suddenly?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

pixaal posted:

Search Conduit seems to be making rounds again at the PD, it seemed to have died for a few months anyone else see an increase suddenly?

I'm seeing it fairly often on Macs lately. It seems easy enough to get rid of, at least, which is good because I don't know much about malware removal on Macs.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

pixaal posted:

They suckered a lot of freeware publishers into bundling it with their programs. And the way they hide the opt-out is pretty disgusting.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

bucketmouse posted:

Lemme guess, It's some sort of CNC that involves lasers and metal isn't it?
It's actually the backend for a fuel island. Think gas station but for a private fleet of trucks.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

Thankfully I'm normally not someone going out to the schools and instead removing viruses from Police Cruiser computers, or Dispatch.
"Dispatch this is #1172, we're seeing here reports of hot and horny singles in the area, possible solicitation in progress, please advise"
"Jenna18? Negative #1172 she is only 1mile from here"
"Jenna18? No this is..
"#2511 also reporting hot Russian singles in my area"
"This is dispatch to all units, possible trafficking ring in ... wait, this isn't right, the FBI have just siezed my computer and need bitcoins"
"Janet, patch me through to FBI, Washington"
"I can't, I don't see that option on my Ask toolbar"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

pixaal posted:

While I don't know what he's running I work for a city/school system and one of the schools has a sign that you can program messages on. It runs on Windows 95 with a hardware key. The company no longest exists and we don't have install media.

If it weren't for the DMCA I see some real value here in being a business that just goes in and pops copy protection off of this kind of thing so that people can continue to use it.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

I've just had a rather panicked phone call from my mum saying she's received one of those "your order" email viruses and stupidly opened the attachment in it - then realised and closed it immediately. For now I've just said turn the laptop off and I'll take a look over the weekend.

I've no idea what the attachment is (PDF/ZIP/Word etc) - but once I take a look what's the best way to identify what virus it's likely to be - and should I just assume it's infected her laptop? It's a Windows 7 laptop running good old store provided McAfee I believe.

Also what are the best tools to use to scan these days - it's been a while since I had to do this sort of tech support!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

JingleBells posted:

I've just had a rather panicked phone call from my mum saying she's received one of those "your order" email viruses and stupidly opened the attachment in it - then realised and closed it immediately. For now I've just said turn the laptop off and I'll take a look over the weekend.

I've no idea what the attachment is (PDF/ZIP/Word etc) - but once I take a look what's the best way to identify what virus it's likely to be - and should I just assume it's infected her laptop? It's a Windows 7 laptop running good old store provided McAfee I believe.

Also what are the best tools to use to scan these days - it's been a while since I had to do this sort of tech support!

For a scare like that I'd use Malwarebytes. If she "closed it" it was likely an zip or word file. Either would have likely not infected anything, a zip requiring you to run the EXE inside and the word file requiring you to enable macros or something so it can download the payload. Or it opened a scary black command prompt and was doing something.

To see if you have anything to worry about go into downloads and sort by date the newest file is what you probably want upload the file to VirusTotal This will tell you what you are dealing with, and probably give you a good idea of something to directly target it. I would upload the file using another computer and NOT let the laptop online since it most likely will attempt to download more junk and make your job harder. I'm sure people will have other opinions on this, but since it was powered off shortly after infection its better to contain it to deal with it quickly.

Doing the upload from the same machine is fine and likely not going to cause too much more of a headache, but I usually have a linux box to contain anything nasty, though there isn't much that can infect you by the file simply existing outside of clever locations and fun exploits.

Tip for quickly locating the file if she hit open instead of save, Cntrl+J opens the download history in IE, Firefox, and Chrome. Right click go to folder to quickly get the file in question. Knowing what you are dealing with will help you know you got rid of it, or if a scan come sup clean on the machine know what to google for to see if it delivered the payload (You'll want to check known file and folder names, should be a nice description on a site eventually about manual removal).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

JingleBells posted:

Haus of Tech Support has a sticky, and there are "toolkit" posts ITT every few pages - not too hard to skim back for them.

If I were to go off the top of my head, then MalwareBytes has an Anti-Rootkit package to start with, then AdwCleaner is a solid post-infection antimalware tool. Other rootkit tools would be Rootkit Revealer and TDSSkiller. If you're stopped from running scanners, you want rkill. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware is another general-purpose thing. HijackThis! is a tool for enumerating running processes, and https://www.hijackthis.de is a crowdsourced log parser that will rate your items.

Combofix is the nuclear option. It will go in and forcibly excise malware and reset Windows settings. It could be your panacea, or it could chop out something important and wreck your Windows installation. It's a tool of last resort before you reinstall.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my SOP is rkill, TDSS scans, combofix, ADWcleaner, hijackthis, uninstall suspicious programs. combofix is nuclear, but it's also effective and time saving. I've only had it brick a computer once in 5-7 years. fixed maybe 500-800 computers in that time.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Outside of what's on the OP, what's the recommendation for preventative measures for people who don't follow normal security practices? A few members of my family always end up with some malware each time I'm at their place, and I'm looking for best practices on how to lock down their Windows 7 boxes.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Drunk Badger posted:

Outside of what's on the OP, what's the recommendation for preventative measures for people who don't follow normal security practices? A few members of my family always end up with some malware each time I'm at their place, and I'm looking for best practices on how to lock down their Windows 7 boxes.

Don't let them run as administrator and/or teach them to not install poo poo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Drunk Badger posted:

Don't run as admin.

Run NoScript + AdBlock Plus in a modern internet browser that has automatic updates.

Run forced Java updates + whatever.

Run MalwareBytes Premium + a decent AV client (either some form of ESET or Kasperskpy)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

What do knowledgable goons consider to be good AV software for individuals? I know my company prefers McAfee because it's easier to manage centrally, but central administration is not a big concern for a small family.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone seen a widespread 'hey my PDFs are suddenly appearing in windows explorer with a firefox icon, and opening using the firefox PDF previewer plugin' issue?

I swear I'm not crazy, but it's happened on my personal computer, and 3 client sites thusfar. Is this something adobe is doing? it sucks balls whatever it is.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ynglaur posted:

What do knowledgable goons consider to be good AV software for individuals? I know my company prefers McAfee because it's easier to manage centrally, but central administration is not a big concern for a small family.

Either some flavor of kaspersky or Eset/Nod32 antivirus, plus Malwarebytes anti-malware.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
What's the deal with the malwarebytes anti 0 day upgrade? It's basically double the price for some non-tangible security?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mindphlux posted:

has anyone seen a widespread 'hey my PDFs are suddenly appearing in windows explorer with a firefox icon, and opening using the firefox PDF previewer plugin' issue?

I swear I'm not crazy, but it's happened on my personal computer, and 3 client sites thusfar. Is this something adobe is doing? it sucks balls whatever it is.

Mozilla hosed up with Firefox 31. Firefox 31 was supposed to scoop up the association if there was no PDF reader installed, but instead they just forced the association. You might also see it having stolen the .ogg association, though it didn't do that for me.

It probably doesn't do it when you use the auto-update, but it does if you use the installer.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Run NoScript

From personal experience: NoScript will end up in "Allow Scripts Globally"
mode in about a week.

Do they really need to run Windows? If it's just webbrowsing, is Linux an option?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Drunk Badger posted:

If changing their habits is truly hopeless, make them buy Sandboxie Pro and set all their browsers to auto run in sandboxes.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

My wife's boss is an endless supply of secondary income for me. Constantly getting all kinds of malware.

Last incident he admitted that he purposely disabled Norton IS to install something that Norton flagged as bad! Then he hands the laptop to my wife to bring home to me to fix. When I fixed it up and gave it back he asked me "But can't I just have this ONE thing? I really like it". And I told him to do what he wants but don't ask me to fix it again.

He hasn't installed whatever it is since.

It was a bit of pain the rear end too. Can't remember the name of it, but it completely took over proxy settings and set it to loopback, so there was no internet access, and there was no normal way to set the proxy back to normal settings.

At least it was an easy $100.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

sfwarlock posted:

From personal experience: NoScript will end up in "Allow Scripts Globally"
mode in about a week.

Do they really need to run Windows? If it's just webbrowsing, is Linux an option?

:raise: NoScript is awesome, use it if you don't want to acclimate to a new OS but also don't want to open yourself up to the easiest kinds of drive-by attacks. Enabling scripts on pages you trust is on you, sure, but it takes all of like 0.6 seconds to allow scripts that a website you do trust needs to work correctly.

If it's being set up for someone else, it does take more than "here ya go, enjoy!" or they'll be back to old, bad habits. Drive-by attacks work because people don't understand why they should care about this stuff, y'know? If it's just for you, of course go ahead and use whatever OS and habits you prefer, but tons of people use NoScript.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Drunk Badger posted:

Don't do it for free, and suddenly people start looking at what they're downloading.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.

Crossbar posted:

Much like most banks ATMs in production. We're currently getting ours updated but its like pulling teeth with vendors.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zogo posted:

I'm wondering when the XP OS will finally go out of vogue. The amount of businesses still relying on it is very impressive.

It's mostly "going out of vogue" already in places where that's possible. Smart users and admins have moved to one of the newer OS's that still have active updates and stuff.

According to W3schools, XP is down to 6.5% market share, versus 54.2% for Win7 and 18.1% for Win8.

Now in terms of when you'll stop encountering lone installations in the wild - pretty much never. You will be finding it on Grandma's ancient desktop, industrial installations, and powering unique/unsupported software/hardware for decades to come.

As an example, drum scanners usually come as a package with an archaic 68k/PPC Mac that has the drivers and software installed. It's just not economical to support a decades-old piece of hardware - nobody's going to pay thousands of dollars for an updated driver, even assuming that the manufacturer hasn't gone out of business in the meantime.

Even something as simple as "getting a working SCSI card" is a challenge nowadays, after some digging I finally managed to find one Adaptec card that has Vista-compatible 64-bit drivers. Microsoft actually decided to remove the drivers for this card in Win7, but you can still install the Vista drivers manually. There's a few companies who service niche stuff like this if you really have the bucks - for example there's a company who makes an LGA1155 motherboard with ISA slots on it, price on request.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 9, 2014

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Paul MaudDib posted:

According to W3schools,

I've never seen their stats stuff but this might be the riskiest 3-word phrase in the english language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah, W3Schools has always had weird usage rates compared to other sources. If I remember right, they had IE going below 50% several years ahead of when the majority of other stat sources did, which kinda indicates to me they might have an unrepresentative sample.

• Locked thread