Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

the Bunt posted:

Does anyone know how to get rid of this bullshit "Virus Remover 2008" malware that somehow got on my computer without me downloading or opening any files? It constantly pops up telling me I have deadly malware on my computer and to download the program. When I try to exit or cancel out, another message pops up saying "If you want your computer to be clean click OK." It also is constantly bringing up a bunch of random popups and error messages. That may be due to other malware, though.

I managed to get this just a month ago right when I was switching antivirus programs (my free year of AVG ran out), I made the mistake of letting my roommate use my pendrive to transfer some files and it silently autoran off of the pendrive when I put it in. The only reason I noticed it at the time was that I was shutting down and it came up with a box asking if I wanted to cancel the install.

After I finished installing avast and updated the definitions it would recognize it and prevent it from running, but the files kept replacing themselves after I deleted them.

I looked it up on the net and found that malwarebytes takes care of it nicely, though that's the last time I let my roommate use my pendrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

blackmanjew posted:

Well when I have 15-20 computers going at once with only two scanning stations available, I tend to see if the internal scans will do the job first.

But yes, if I had the stations available, I'd be rippin hard drive out all day.

If all you needed were 15-20 CDS/DVDS/Pendrives, would that make a difference? I've been putting together a good setup with The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows(UBCD4WIN) for the tech support guys at my work to use. Since it's completely freeware based (you do have to legitimately own a copy of WINXP to make the BartPE image, but that's it.), there aren't any legal issues as far as I know. The only weakness with it that I've seen so far is that because it's booting into what is basically an extremely cut-down version of Windows XP, there's a lot of stuff that isn't compatible, and MalwareBytes is included in that.

Comes with Spybot and SuperAntiSpyware as plugins, among countless other programs, and as far as I know it's as close as you can get to Hiren's without breaking the law.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if the systems are using some form of raid configuration you need to preload the drivers into it for them to be recognized.

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 25, 2010

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Drighton posted:

Do antivirus LiveCDs ever work for anyone? I found a Kaspersky LiveCD a while ago that apparently isn't updated anymore, so it takes longer to download the latest definition updates as time goes on. I've yet to successfully clean an infection using this LiveCD.

Even with a cut-down UBCD4WIN setup for business, you still have Avast's free scanner which uses their standard updates (I think). There are some other free rescue scanners that'll run in the PE environment that aren't specifically included but should probably work better than what's on the outdated antivirus livecds.

I still use Avast for my home machines, and this year they added the "pirate" language for talk like a pirate day, which makes the whole talking antivirus thing slightly entertaining if you choose not to turn all the voices off.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
At a glance, if Craig3410@gmail.com is your email address, either someone hacked your email or is spoofing your email address.

If it's the former, one of the computers you have used to check your email is/was probably rooted and someone stole your password, or they could just be spoofing your email address, it's trivially easy. I'd suggest changing your password and running something like RootkitRevealer on all the machines you check your mail on (assuming a 32 bit version of windows), and working from there. If someone is spoofing your email address, there isn't a whole lot you can do other than move to a new one.

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 30, 2011

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Dad Jokes posted:

Just wondering, does anyone have experience with Symantec Endpoint Protection? My school is offering it for free and is really encouraging students to use it, but their reasons are literally "it's free and won't expire".

I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials right now, but should I switch over? I can't seem to Google up any reliable comparisons on which one is better.

We have a saying in the ticket thread- SEP stands for Someone Else's Problem. Unfortunately I manage some of the administration and dispatch the desktop support guys from the virus logs of SEP, and most of the time to actually get rid of the virus they have to use a portable version of another AV. Symantec is probably the second or third worst of the major antiviruses right now.

At least it isn't McAfee, having McAfee is worse than having a virus in most cases.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Corvettefisher posted:

Just going to throw this out there but would anyone be opposing to me making a new thread same topic but with an OP that has some trouble shooting/common problems/scanners/etc?

Wouldn't that fall into the Haus of Tech Support if we're talking more about troubleshooting stuff?

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 13, 2011

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Once a system like that gets infected, you're relying on the malware to allow you to flash the firmware. There's nothing you can do to verify that it isn't installing hooks into it when you upgrade and even reporting an MD5 that indicates that the image is clean.

You don't know what dark corners of the device that hooks may or may not have been hidden in. Unless you can wipe every bit of writable memory on the thing without missing anything you have no guarantee that you fully removed the malware.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Of course, I don't think I would reflash my PC BIOS (and video card, and so forth) as part of eradicating malware either, so maybe I'm just insufficiently paranoid.

Can your PC BIOS potentially subvert all communication going between your network and the internet to do things like steal banking and other information, as well as act as part of a botnet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Khablam posted:

To use the medical analogy again, you're a doctor getting hysterically angry that people can work out they have a common cold all on their own, and wailing about risk assessments and IT MIGHT BE MALARIA OR MENINGITIS OR CANCER OH GOD GET HELP.

And you're the doctor who treats the symptoms instead of the disease.

• Locked thread