Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

GMER is telling me things that the Internet knows nothing about... None of these things show anything in Google, but I think the devices section is fine.

GMER 1.0.14.14536 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-12-20 12:57:18
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

---- System - GMER 1.0.14 ----

SSDT spdz.sys ZwEnumerateKey [0xBA6C6CA2]
SSDT spdz.sys ZwEnumerateValueKey [0xBA6C7030]

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.14 ----

Device \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs 8A35D1F8

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs SiWinAcc.sys (Windows Accelerator Driver/Silicon Image, Inc.)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.14 ----

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

ShizCakes posted:

I can't find references to spdz.sys on google (like you said) - find the file on your system and determine if it's related to something of value by inferring from it's location and from it's properties.

The SiWinAcc seems to be related to a storage driver - so you should leave it alone. (Silicon Image makes storage controller chipsets)

Can't find it anywhere on my computer... Does "search hidden files and folders" search for protected operating system files?

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

JonM1827 posted:

TDSServ EVIL BABY EATER

I just spent three hours cleaning my families computer that had TDSServ and Vundo on it. It was honestly the worst experience I have ever had. Still is infected...

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Hillridge posted:

Crap, still seeing goougly links in google.
I found some info on it, but nothing helpful.

I also turned off 3rd party cookies in Firefox.

I think I'm going to drop into safe mode and run:
spybot, superantispyware, ccleaner, malwarebytes, then combofix.

If that combo doesn't cure it, I don't know what will.

I had this but I also ran SDFix, and found out I had TDSServ on the machine. IF you see anything related to that you need to uninstall the driver or else nothing will work

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

BigKOfJustice posted:

Install SUPERantispyware in normal mode, boot into safe mode and run it

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Hillridge posted:

I think this may be a side effect of all the cleaning I did to get rid of my infection. Some text comes up like this in firefox. How do I fix this?

Edit: It's not a font or encoding issue either.

Your system language might have been changed... try and see what it is set to

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Otacon posted:

The other case was a Toshiba laptop that freezes upon the insertion of any USB plug. All of the plugs freeze the system. Flashdrives, Printers, anything USB will freeze it. This sounds like hardware to me, but she claims it just started happening a few weeks ago. Any ideas on this one? I've never experienced these problems before. Please help.

I would try removing and putting the motherboard drivers and chipset back on. It could be as simple as user error deleting something hat is needed.

Also, all you people with malware and spyware issues, I would head over to bleepingcomputer and post there. They are amazing at this kind of stuff.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Cool new trojan here

http://torrentfreak.com/trojan-blocks-the-pirate-bay-and-mininova-090104/

quote:

The trojan in question (Troj/Qhost-AC) identified by anti-virus company Sophos, is a rather unusual one. It doesn’t seem to install spyware or traditional malware, but instead blocks access to the two most popular BitTorrent sites.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Leonard Leroy posted:

Any good registry guards around? I was using Spybot for a bit, but that seems outdated, and it was kinda unpolished in the first place. Still, it was a good line of defense against malware.

I still vote for TeaTimer from Spybot... works marvelously.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Capnbigboobies posted:

The problem with Teatimer is that if we install it on all the computers we are constantly fixing, the users would just mash accept or even worse delete a benign process/program/registry key.

True. In an environment where no one knows what they are doing I would just use DeepFreeze with their desktop linked to network drive being the thaw space.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Mantrid posted:

Don't know if you guys saw this, but here's an interview with an adware coder: http://philosecurity.org/2009/01/12/interview-with-an-adware-author

Some of the stuff he did is pretty clever, like the undeletable registry keys.

This is extremely interesting. Some of the stuff he talks about seems like it would be impossible for antivirus and antispyware programs ot counter. How do you tell what the virus is if every program on the computer is running the parts of the code, and no one knows where it came from?

How do you delete a registry key if it contains characters that cannot be mimicked by a 32bit API?

People like this need to start working for antivirus/antimalware companies, tey are incredibly smart.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

macado posted:

crazy virus

If you haven't already I would send the file in and let them analyze it because the fix seems kind of nasty and would be better off preventing.

Good catch with all of that stuff.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Drighton posted:

On Friday computers started losing connections to the network and the only way I could find to get them going again was to assign a static ip address. I noticed the DHCP Server on the computers was different that what we use, and my boss just happened to make some changes to our subnet and DHCP settings that week, so I forwarded the problem to him.

He got back to me yesterday and updated me today with what he found:
-Guy has Bittorrent/P2P/whatever on his computer, most likely source of the virus
-Virus spoof's itself as the default gateway
-Virus listens for DHCP requests on the network, constructs a packet, tells the computer to keep it's current address and changes the DNS servers.
-DNS servers resolve to Russia and redirect every major Bank's webpage to an duplicate

Not very conspicuous on a business network, but for a home network that is one very sneaky virus. I'm hoping to get a better look at it before I wipe his computer, but my boss may have already tried removing it.

Do you have any more information about this? Someone at my school seems to have gotten this and it messed stuff up.

EDIT: Looks like that there is some documentation about it around. BKDR_AGENT.CAHZ or TROJ_AGENT.NDT are both identified as being rogue DHCP worms.

http://itw.trendmicro.com/pdfs/121508-networks_nulnerable_to_rogue_dhcp_attack.pdf

darkforce898 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 9, 2009

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

One of my users got a trojan I have never seen before. SuperAntiSpyWare picks it up as:

Trojan.Agent/Gen.RedDragon

I can't find anything on it. Google returns a whole bunch of reggae and D&D matches. Anyone know anything about it?

Also what is a good trusted site to look up info on trojans/ viruses?

I would take the file and upload to a site to see if you can get a different name for it.

http://www.virustotal.com/
works well, I looked around but didn't really see anything. symantec and trendmicro have nothing by that name.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/security_response/threatexplorer/index.jsp
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

The university I work for is having a problem with DNS changer viruses and they are not fun at all. They seem to all be Trojan.Flush.M but they aren't at all. None of the files are the same, but they have the exact same symptoms.

http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2009/03/new-version-of-dns-server-trojan-flushm-spotted-in-the-pipe.ars

Seems to be exactly what they have but I can't get any removal information. The onyl thing that has been found has been through GMER and is a rootkit called 'gaopdxserv.sys'. Unfortunatly this can only be deleted through a recovery console or through another operating system. This isn't really a good solution and doesn't have anything to do with Flush.M.

The only thing I can think of is that the rootkit is hiding the files of the Flush.M virus and we need to remove the rootkit first. Another cool thing is that MAlwarebytes will not run at all. It installed fine but it crashed on load, even when changing the name of the process.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

taiyoko posted:

No proxy settings on IE or FF. Nothing suspicious listed in running processes, but this is rather strange to me...

Might be a seismograph in an earthquake. Check his DNS settings to see if they point to something like 85.* or 64/63.*. If so he has Trojan.Flush.M

Run a scan in GMER and see if anything comes up as a rootkit.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

CraigK posted:

Well, saw my first instance of MS Antivirus; it was on a public computer used to sign up for timeslots for advising or something; anyway, I never knew how evil it was. Of course, I'm assuming that it's totally unrelated to the "www.sexyteensluts.biz" and "www.hairydykes.net" that I noticed in the search history. :rolleyes:

Is it hard to get off a computer, or are the computer janitors in charge going to have a real fun time getting rid of it?

It really isn't that bad. Run malwarebytes from a protected usb drive and then run combofix and you should be fine.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

hobb posted:

So I have a weird problem with Avira Antivir that started a few days ago, namely it stopped being able to autoupdate itself. The update takes ages and just hangs on "scanning for updates.." before I just force it to stop.

I dont think the update servers down because its been days, the last update before I manually updated it was on 6/26. I haven't changed anything so I'm not sure what caused it to start. I'm using the win 7 RC, and prior to this it was auto updating just fine.

Uninstall and reinstall the new version.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That makes me feel better at least. I have a C: partition for Windows, then all my programs on D: partition, then another internal and three external drives. If I format C: and reinstall, I shouldn't have to worry about reinfection from those other drives/partitions? Or would I have to completely wipe the physical drive that the C: partition is on? Or both internals?

You should go to https://www.bleepingcomputer.com and post there. They will be able to help you much more and will be able to write removal programs if nothing else works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

devmd01 posted:

As ugly and retarded as this is going to get, we are being directed by our pci/sox auditors to install antivirus on all servers that fall under pci scope. :suicide:

For desktops, we're running Symantec Endpoint Protection, but I'm entirely reticent to put that on servers, so i'm researching other options for the servers. Is anyone running A/V on their servers, what are you using, how happy are you with it?

Can you use something like ClamWin? It's mighty small and unobtrusive.
http://www.clamwin.com/

• Locked thread