Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I work for a large corporation's help desk and the occasional malware infection comes up on the computers of the people who call me. I've been able to scrub these computers clean manually by just a combination of resourcefulness, a good solid knowledge of known-good processes, and having Process Explorer at hand.

Process Explorer is great because it'll let you see every DLL file that an executable loads. Even better, it somehow is able to mark suspect DLL files in the list. It took a combination of using the sword of regsvr32 /u and being able to quickly get to certain file locations. Also there were times where I'd boot up the computer to the login screen, then go delete the bad files remotely because they attach to winlogon.exe. I've been able to defeat everything that came up at me so far.

I'm aware that nastier things are out there, but I already feel pretty competent against the current wave of shitware that's out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread