Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Ensign Expendable posted:

in which case your only hope is that heuristics get it. I think Avira has the most paranoid ones

Yeah I can vouch for that. Drives me crazy sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

KomradeVirtunov posted:

I had a malicious Super/UltraAntiSpyware 2010 ad come up on two tabs on SomethingAwful today. They try pretty hard with the XP explorer background image, it doesn't work as well as imagined when the user is using Windows Vista/7 though.

Yeah I got the same thing here this afternoon. I reported it.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Datenausführungsverhinderung

DEP, apparently. Sorry it didn't protect your system disk.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

That's really drat weird. When you say shutdown, I assume you mean it just powers off instantly? AFAIK no hard disk problem could cause that behavior, and I kinda doubt bad ram could either. Maybe the power supply? (Still weird though because you say it's only when working with the disk and/or at a cmd prompt.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

J posted:

I've noticed that as well, god bless TDSSkiller. One guy had a rootkit that would reach out to god knows where and play legitimate radio ads, it's like his speakers were playing a radio station that only played advertisements, and never plugged the name of the actual station.

God that's horrible, but also funny as hell.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Opera Bitch posted:

the only other time something like this happened was when he used it when I wasn't around.

:crossarms:

You might want to check the browsing history, unless, uhh... well unless you'd rather just not know.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I tried it for the hell of it and all it showed me was that I'm very good at keeping things updated on my own. :smug:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

My mistake, it was SH/SC: Fun with crack.exe

Oh god, I remember that. How did that not get goldmined?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Maniaman posted:

Still though, I wish there was one that was perfect

There is but the cure is worse than the disease:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

kastein posted:

corrupted my BIOS settings?!

Flash sucks pretty hard but I seriously doubt it did that.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

He used my laptop after she kicked him off. Guess who's 3 week old Windows installation has TDSS? :fuckoff:

What the loving gently caress is he doing/where is he going that he got your (presumably pretty well secured and protected) laptop infected so quickly?

e: ^^^ also all of that, especially the last sentence.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I figured a non-admin account coupled with an ad blocker and my regular MSE regime would be enough protection for a few hours. Whoops!

he insists on using IE.

Obvious Joke aside, do you stay on top of updates, including updates for a browser you don't use?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Zogo posted:

I remember the nicest virus being Happy99.exe

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/270482.stm

Extremely easy to remove, non-harmful and pretty.

Haha, that was the first thing I thought of. It also happens to be the only virus I ever caught.

quote:

"You can just replace your version with the backup copy the virus has already made for you."

:3:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Alkanos posted:

And this is why you always turn Java off when you're not using it.

Or use a browser/extension/add-on that only lets it run after asking you.

e: Christ, does IE still just loving run Java no questions asked? (I guess it does.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Khablam posted:

fake edit:
This is a good topic - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524075/cannot-log-into-windows-7-pro-get-a-black-screen/

The first thing anyone would do there is do a disk check and/or look at the SMART information, and to backup whilst he still can. Random error states like that are so often being picked up because the drive is failing.
The actual issue he has is a locked out/corrupt soundcard driver. So, failing a drive malfunction he should just update / replace the drivers.

But no, a few days of running every tool under the sun, reverting windows, reverting windows using 3rd party tools, terminating parts of his sounddriver processes, all of which seems to be giving him more trouble than when he started.

Fun site :v:

Jesus god, just reading that first reply from "HelpBot" was like :siren::siren::siren::spergin:ALERT:spergin:ALERT:spergin::siren::siren::siren:

And then it REALLY got ridiculous. No wonder I've always reflexively hit the back button every time I run into that site.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Siochain posted:

Eset has one I believe, maybe AVG, not sure who else. I'm not running one on mine but I really likely should :/

Avast does as well; just installed it the other day after idly wondering if there were such a thing as smartphone viruses. (I've only had one for a few months and it hadn't occurred to me yet.)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Cactus Jack posted:

Odd, I've never seen that. Were you using their removal tool when you got rid of it?

Haha, whoops. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess not.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Poetic Justice posted:

Doesn't SA use quantserve? It shows up in Noscript for this site, but I keep it blocked because it does tend to cause browsing slowness. It is just an analytics/tracking cookie. For example, it provides invaluable information that the top interest on this site is videogames, and 90% of users are male.

Amusingly, I had to enable scripts for quantcast.com to see the stats. :irony:

(yes I know that's not really irony)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, turns out my Comcast-supplied modem had a firewall. I say had because the wifi poo poo the bed to the point that it was doing <1mb/s on a 50mb/s line, while connecting via ethernet gave 55. So it's a moot point, because I bought a new modem and a wifi router.

Pretty sure you're still behind a firewall. What IP address does your computer report?

• Locked thread