Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Hillridge posted:

I'd flatten and reinstall if it didn't take so long to get everything back to the way it was. First you have to install the OS and apply all the updates, which includes what seems like 50 reboots. You can save a little time by slip streaming in the latest service pack to the install disc, but it still sucks. Then you have to reinstall drivers. Then you have to reinstall all the applications and possibly update them. Then you have to reconfigure all the applications and little tweaks you've setup since the last reformat. I'd estimate that it takes me the better part of a week to rebuild my system and get it back to how it was just before infection.

Why not make an image next time? Then any subsequent times you could just wipe the drive and put the image back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

If you go to my company's IT department asking for help getting our expense report software running, they will actually uninstall any versions of java newer than Java 6 Update 21 from your computer.

• Locked thread