Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

cursedshitbox posted:

Get the air conditioner fixed and the dash minifridge will work too. they're plumbed together.

Ah! good info thanks!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Neat van! Wonder if the switches control the automatic transmission, I know I've seen a two-switch setup before for the shift solenoids.

Not sure why there'd be an audio jack. Pull that centre console and let's get a look see under the dress.

nothing is connected to those switches and there's just a pile of wires under the console. To roll down the window, operate the moonroof, and turn on the interior party lights the PO would take a two wires from the pile with bare ends and touch them to a battery he kept in the passenger seat footwell. :facepalm:. He's such a nice guy he included the battery. It took me like 20 minutes just to figure out which wires worked the windows. The kid brother has no idea what he's in for :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Leroy Diplowski posted:

nothing is connected to those switches and there's just a pile of wires under the console. To roll down the window, operate the moonroof, and turn on the interior party lights the PO would take a two wires from the pile with bare ends and touch them to a battery he kept in the passenger seat footwell. :facepalm:. He's such a nice guy he included the battery. It took me like 20 minutes just to figure out which wires worked the windows. The kid brother has no idea what he's in for :getin:

Sounds like you bought a car from a tweaker. I would pull interior panels before crossing any borders.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sounds like you bought a car from a tweaker. I would pull interior panels before crossing any borders.

Maybe the former owner was just a GM guy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Does it still sound like a diesel when putting around? Because it sounded bad rear end.

No, it was too loud so I stuck the old muffler back on. My plan is to put a weakly muffled stack on it with the little tractor flapper on the top.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Noticed the difference in turning radius between left and right yet?

French cars have the best quirks :france:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Some of the finest British engineering fell off and flew into this lake. My new toy.

Still waiting on my plates, but I have only had the truck for a few days. Haven't been out to do much exploring but initial impressions are good. Its down right silent in the cabin, stops well for being a heavy rear end pig. Its even pretty decent on fuel.

Edit:

Sorry for the lovely cell photos, but they will have to do. I am sure I just did more off road in this entire trucks life in just 30 minutes (in the grass). I need to find some good trails.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 29, 2014

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I seem to have just bought the first BRZ spider.

In that, there's a family of spiders living in the driver's side strut / wheel well! Egg sack included.

That black one was indeed a black widow, the camera doesn't make it out very well but it had the red marker on the back and everything. Gotta love living in AZ.

I took the hose with the spray nozzle to the thing, and the webs and egg sack would not come completely down. I ended up grabbing a long bread-knife and just wrapping it up in all of the webbing and pulled it all out that way, some strong poo poo. I just pulled in from work not 2 hours prior, so either they've been in there a while, or they spun up a ton of webbing in a hurry.

edit: Bastard came back. This time the trusty Dyson vacuum took care of him.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 30, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Linux Nazi posted:

In that, there's a family of spiders living in the driver's side strut / wheel well! Egg sack included.

That black one was indeed a black widow, the camera doesn't make it out very well but it had the red marker on the back and everything. Gotta love living in AZ.

I took the hose with the spray nozzle to the thing, and the webs and egg sack would not come completely down. I ended up grabbing a long bread-knife and just wrapping it up in all of the webbing and pulled it all out that way, some strong poo poo. I just pulled in from work not 2 hours prior, so either they've been in there a while, or they spun up a ton of webbing in a hurry.

That's flame thrower effort there. Even being an Aussie who isn't scared of most of the wildlife, I hate red backs

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

You Am I posted:

That's flame thrower effort there. Even being an Aussie who isn't scared of most of the wildlife, I hate red backs

Yeah I would have torched that poo poo and not thought twice about it :ohdear:

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

French cars have the best quirks :france:

Personally I'm enjoying my (one) cupholder that is too small to fit anything larger than a minature cup of coffee, and then doesn't let you select 5th gear when you actually manage to fit it in there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Linux Nazi posted:

*steering with bite joke*

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
egg-cellent suspension

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jediguy posted:

Personally I'm enjoying my (one) cupholder that is too small to fit anything larger than a minature cup of coffee, and then doesn't let you select 5th gear when you actually manage to fit it in there.

My cupholders are located between the front seats, which I guess is OK, since they don't interfere with the gear stick.

Unfortunately, they're completely unusable because I have a higher trim level with arm rests on the seats :france:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd never used a DA polisher before this morning. SO MUCH EASIER.

Full Size

Full Size

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
God drat man, I don't know exactly what model that is (I'm guessing a C6?), still looks incredibly clean! Nice!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

fingerling posted:

God drat man, I don't know exactly what model that is (I'm guessing a C6?), still looks incredibly clean! Nice!

C6 Z06.

and looking good.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Washed it (well the gf washed it) for the first time since I got it 6 months ago.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

'97 Silverado 2500 Extended Cab

Bought specifically to clean it up and flip. Didn't think my single picture was quite this lovely, and it is rain/slushing right now so forget it.

No rust except the wheels that were swapped at some point- and they just need a scrub and paint (if that), wipers need refreshed with BBQ black, and I need to slam the door on a 2x4 a couple times to fix a minor bit of damage that looks like it occurred at the lot.

I paid less for this thing than I have two way flights in the last decade. :dawkins101:

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
I plastidipped my WRX today.

Before

During

After (Still need to do some touch up work)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Thank you for doing the skirts. I always hated that they were unpainted on the bug-eye.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Fuelslt1 posted:

Before

During

That looks great!

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Fuelslt1 posted:

Before

During

Is it gloss white? I've always wanted to see gloss plastidip in person, but pretty much everything around here is lifted toyota tundras dipped matte monster green :/

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.

Geology posted:

Is it gloss white? I've always wanted to see gloss plastidip in person, but pretty much everything around here is lifted toyota tundras dipped matte monster green :/

No it's flat or matte white. I do plan on using pearlizer plastidip then clear plastidip to finish it off once I get tired of the matte look though.

Fuelslt1 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 2, 2014

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Picked this up for the Fiancée today, as the Ford Ka I bought previously turned out to be a bit rusty (oh boy that was a silly buy, but was fun as hell to throw about). This is much more solid, FSH, 83,000 miles, a few little suspension rattles but nothing urgent, and cheap enough.

It's a 1.4 Vauxhall (Opel/Holden/GM) Corsa 1.4 SXI. SXI is sadly just a trim level not a indication of any kind of warm performance, but it is more than enough car for a learner / new driver. FWD 5 speed manual obviously. Drove it 175 miles today up from Alnwick and it drives surprisingly well for a Poxhall, if a bit noisy at 9mph.

Edit: For some reason it has a BMW "Ultimate Driving Machine" tax disc holder :lol:

stump fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 2, 2014

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^
I haven't posted here in a long time. I've gone through a couple of cars ([1] [2] [2b]) since the last time I was here. The license plate shown in my custom title has been gone for... five years almost?

Anyway, a year ago today was the accident shown in 2b above. Hit & run, fortunately I had a witness and got her tag before she took off in her X5 and hit three other people. Long story with lots of stupidity. A couple of weeks after that, I picked up this:

It looks largely the same today, just slightly lower. However, no more money is going into it because I picked up another car:

It needs a little work and I'm not sure about the interior, but it's a blast. They said it had 38hp out of the 998cc A-series when new, so it is not fast. It's fantastic fun, though. Just in time to put it into winter storage. :(

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That interior is goddamn fantastic.

Any improvements need to be in the theme of the door card.

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
Hey have I mentioned yet that my license plate is "TOA5TER"? See, it's kyoot because it's a boxy car! ^_^
I was thinking I'd maybe go all black if I ever redid the interior but I've also kind of thought about replacing the headliner (white) with a big Union jack.

All four door cards have a union jack. Yes, the rear seat has little door cards as well.

The seats were redone and they're fine but they definitely aren't "correct." They look like late 80s or early 90s but I'm not sure when they were redone. I'm also not sure if Minis ever came with square headrests (think Volvo).

I'm drawing a blank on trying to find the pre-import history. I'm learning a lot about the car though. The rear window has an old UK registration number etched on it... but it's a 1981+ registration. And it has a defroster. Obviously that window is from a later car. The ignition is from a 1981+ model as well.

Hopefully I can find the registration history since I want to get the original number plate for the car. If not, I'll get the plate that's etched on the window. That makes sense too but I'd rather find the history.

salt the fries! fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 4, 2014

stump
Jan 19, 2006

salt the fries! posted:

Hopefully I can find the registration history since I want to get the original number plate for the car. If not, I'll get the plate that's etched on the window. That makes sense too but I'd rather find the history.
Have you tried a website like uk.vin-info.com?

Edit: That particular website may not give you the reg number, I haven't checked!

stump fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 4, 2014

salt the fries!
Dec 24, 2005
It's pre-1981 so it has a chassis code rather than a standardized VIN. That site can't find any info whatsoever.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I did a dumb thing and traded in my S2000 on an Audi.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

This looks great. What's the specs?

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Hello Spaceman posted:

How differently does it drive than your S2k?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Hopefully fewer bugs in his hair.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Bovril Delight posted:

This looks great. What's the specs?

It's a 2008 S5 - so with the discontinued 4.2-litre V8, instead of the emissions-friendly supercharged 3-litre V6 in the newer cars. And that suits me fine because the soundtrack is far better and now I can tick "V8" on my bucket list. Plus it's rare in that it has a manual gearbox - most ever sold were with Audi's Tiptronic automatric transmission.

The previous owner(s) took extremely good care of the car. It's only got 50 000km (31k miles) on the odo. Paint is all but immaculate. Inside, the only signs of its age are some slightly-worn leather on the seat bolsters (the centre sections are covered in alcantara) and a shiny steering wheel. Oh, and the centre stack's multimedia display is an oh-so-2008 low-res unit. Factory-fitted options are park distance sensors front and rear, as well as a fuckin' kickass 14-speaker Bang & Olufsen sound system. The rest of the stuff is standard: bi-xenon headlights, LED daytime running lights, cruise control, auto lights and rain sensors, and other Teutonic luxuries.

Having driven a number of German cars over the years I knew what to expect, but it's nice to finally own one. I'll definitely miss the Honda, though.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I've gone from something that sits at 4 500rpm while "cruising" at 80mph, to a far more comfortable couch, refined couch that I'm happier to drive at 70mph in the middle lane. The ride is taut, but far less crashy than the Honda, especially on the increasingly terrible roads in Johannesburg. It's not as frenetic, obviously, but can lazily idle along at 2 000rpm in everyday driving, then stretch its legs to 7 300rpm when the road opens. Lots of shove on offer from the motor's 324 pound-feet. Handling through corners is completely inert (I'd say understeery but that just needs an adjustment in driving style and is not a problem on public roads).

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Nice s5. While you won't see as much on an NA motor, my buddy had a b7 S4, and getting his ecu flashed really smoothed his out considerably. That plus an exhaust. It was glorious. :flashfap:

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

stump posted:

Picked this up for the Fiancée today, as the Ford Ka I bought previously turned out to be a bit rusty (oh boy that was a silly buy, but was fun as hell to throw about). This is much more solid, FSH, 83,000 miles, a few little suspension rattles but nothing urgent, and cheap enough.

It's a 1.4 Vauxhall (Opel/Holden/GM) Corsa 1.4 SXI. SXI is sadly just a trim level not a indication of any kind of warm performance, but it is more than enough car for a learner / new driver. FWD 5 speed manual obviously. Drove it 175 miles today up from Alnwick and it drives surprisingly well for a Poxhall, if a bit noisy at 9mph.

Edit: For some reason it has a BMW "Ultimate Driving Machine" tax disc holder :lol:

Economy hatchback buddies :hfive:

Took delivery of this yesterday after having been forced to shelve my luxo-barge dreams (temporarily, I hope). 2014 Focus SE. No complaints so far, fun little car to tool around in.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

salt the fries! posted:

It's pre-1981 so it has a chassis code rather than a standardized VIN. That site can't find any info whatsoever.

Sup Real Mini Buddy?

I also have no chassis number (found on the plate next to the radiator) because the DMV ditched it for a state number when it was imported by a PO.

You should find an engine number on the top/front of the block next to the rocker cover.

You can plug that engine number into this site http://www.guess-works.com/Tech/engine.htm for details.

Even if that is not the original engine, it's good to know the engine's age, type, etc. My Mini had an engine swap sometime in its past, so it's a 1962 chassis with an early 1980's Metro A+ motor. So I need different manuals, depending on what I am fixing.

Minimania (a pretty good parts source) has a flow-chart page that helps identify a Mini chassis and/or a Mini engine based on various details.

http://www.minimania.com/Mini_Identification_1837

Minimania.com has every loving part ever. You could literally build an entire car from their catalog. For example you need one of these - http://www.minimania.com/part/572734/Bezel-Ring-Chrome-Front--Rear-Turn-Signal

They got that poo poo.

Finally, another info source for the vintage is the wiper motor (back-left corner of the engine bay). There's a number stamped on it with the manufacture year for that part. Wiper motors tend to survive in these cars, so you can use them as a rough fallback for learning the vintage. That's how I could confirm the 1962 vintage on the post-import title.

I have torn through all sorts of things on my Mini, so PM with questions if you need.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Here is the '97 C2500 Silverado in its native "my back yard" position for work. :banjo: Already painted and replaced the wiper arms.

Urge to plastidip Cheby.. raising.

Here is the ugly door after a bit of minor wacks with a hammer and temporary touchups with spray paint. Needs a few more wacks with a hammer.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

salt the fries! posted:

They said it had 38hp out of the 998cc A-series when new, so it is not fast. It's fantastic fun, though. Just in time to put it into winter storage. :(

Tamir Lenk posted:

Sup Real Mini Buddy?

Wassup wassup wassup

I'm equally awful at project cars and project logs. Minispares, 7ent and Moss are other parts sources, it helps to shop around for prices. Minispares has been my main supplier with Moss orders though local shops for the big stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
Sup