Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wallaka posted:

I've made a huge mistake.

Got it for my stepson. It's a 96 RS, automatic, obligatory fartcannon (welded upside-down for god knows what reason), one projector headlight housing. Needs brakes, power steering pump, timing belt, engine mounts. I figure I'll replace the water pump while I'm in there.

It runs and shifts well, and the shocks are OK. Not bad for $700.

My friends 420a poo poo the bed while idling in his driveway with no other symptoms. Blew a head gasket. Awful car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Eh, they are kinda neither here nor there. The non turbo 2nd gens are dog slow just from how heavy they are. Parts are easy to find and cheap since it's a shared powerplant from a Neon BUT there was a streak of them that were sent out with a back facing head bolt that was too long and when assembled it bottomed out on the block which causes the head to lift over time. Pop goes the head gasket. This late in the game most of those affected ones have come and gone since 3rd party head bolts are better and fit correctly. Check for excessive gooiness on the back side of the block. If it's fine it'll run for a billion years with basic maintenance, that 420A is a tank of a motor.

Honestly, I kind of miss mine. It was decently sharp looking and it was so slow that you never really minded using it as a DD that got 30+ MPG. Aside from the headbolt maybe my only real complaint were that non turbo models got hilariously small front disks that warp like crazy due to the car's weight. It's a bolt on affair to switch to GST/GSX fronts though but you'll need to get something a bit bigger than the stock 14" alloys its got. Usually can pick up some OE DSM 16's on craigslist for a song.

As a putting around car it's fine.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 5, 2014

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Street Survival is an excellent program for kids: http://streetsurvival.org/

They basically autocross the poo poo out of your kid until they learn how to deal with skids, drive safely, proper visual skills, etc.

I wish this had existed when I was learning.

I don't know when the 2015 schedule will get announced, but you should absolutely do it.

What a great program. End of the day, most kids are going to at some point decide that launching their poo poo-box corolla around the suburbs is the surest way of impressing their passengers, teachers who doubted them, parents and all the other road users. It's just logical. At least with a decent defensive driving course under the belt they'll know what to do once their vehicle exceeds it's limits and maybe make smarter decisions on the road.

In Australia our solution to higher fatalities for inexperienced drivers has been doubling (or quadrupling) the hours required to get your full license and limiting the times of day and conditions you can drive your vehicle in. It's bloody mindless and at worst dangerous. Young drivers need all the experience they can get, going the Scandinavian route and actually teaching new drivers how to handle a vehicle should be a no brainer.

wallaka posted:

I've made a huge mistake.

Lucky kid mate, that's a great first car. The 16 year old in me is jealous.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Eh, they are kinda neither here nor there. The non turbo 2nd gens are dog slow just from how heavy they are. Parts are easy to find and cheap since it's a shared powerplant from a Neon BUT there was a streak of them that were sent out with a back facing head bolt that was too long and when assembled it bottomed out on the block which causes the head to lift over time. Pop goes the head gasket. This late in the game most of those affected ones have come and gone since 3rd party head bolts are better and fit correctly. Check for excessive gooiness on the back side of the block. If it's fine it'll run for a billion years with basic maintenance, that 420A is a tank of a motor.

As a putting around car it's fine.

Interesting, this happened to my friend in ~2006 so it would've been one of the weed out cars. Good to know.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

CarForumPoster posted:

My friends 420a poo poo the bed while idling in his driveway with no other symptoms. Blew a head gasket. Awful car.

It's lasted for 240,000 miles. I think this engine is past the instagib stage but...Mitsubishi. It might not start ever again.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Street Survival is an excellent program for kids: http://streetsurvival.org/

They basically autocross the poo poo out of your kid until they learn how to deal with skids, drive safely, proper visual skills, etc.

I wish this had existed when I was learning.

I don't know when the 2015 schedule will get announced, but you should absolutely do it.

I'll echo Street Survival being a great program. I took it several times (winter and summer) from 16-18 then started volunteering to chase cones and eventually instructing. It's a great safe way for kids to see what their cars are capable of in a controlled environment. I haven't heard of anyone NOT enjoying their time and learning a lot over the course of the day. If you drive/live in the North try to get the kids signed up for a winter school. They spend the whole day regaining control at various speeds.

Downside is this can be a gateway drug to track days and racing.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll echo Street Survival being a great program. I took it several times (winter and summer) from 16-18 then started volunteering to chase cones and eventually instructing. It's a great safe way for kids to see what their cars are capable of in a controlled environment. I haven't heard of anyone NOT enjoying their time and learning a lot over the course of the day. If you drive/live in the North try to get the kids signed up for a winter school. They spend the whole day regaining control at various speeds.

Downside is this can be a gateway drug to track days and racing.

Downside?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well really just a downside for your wallet and spare time. Because you end up racing something like this...

Then throwing 2-3x the value of the car into suspension, brakes and bushings and your garage looks like this...

All in all I'd say there's no downside.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I picked up some new cars to ruin:

Trouble 1: 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe

Trouble 2: 1989 Jaguar Xj6 Vanden Plas

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Sup Jaguar buddy. Its just begging for a small block.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Sup Jaguar buddy. Its just begging for a small block.

No way, this is my girlfriend's car, and the last thing she needs is POWAH!

It IS begging for removal of the hydraulic system though...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

11BulletCatcher posted:

No way, this is my girlfriend's car, and the last thing she needs is POWAH!

No, she needs reliability... hence the chevy motor. :) I think though this was the year they switched from the Turbo 400 to the 4HP22/24.

But drat, thats a nice ride dude. the interior looks drat good.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

The interior isn't spotless, but it's mostly put together. This Jag doesn't come without problems though.

Error display is intermittent, cruise control doesn't work, heater doesn't work, ac kind of works, just burst the pressure line for the mineral oil system that just so happens to power assist the brakes, and cylinder 5 started misfiring (non electric or air) ever since I picked the Plymouth up from Tennessee... but even with those problems I trust the car and it is a pleasure to drive, if a bit small for me to squeeze into.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

cursedshitbox posted:

Clean is indeed overrated.

from a few years ago, anyway
that wood block cost $1800 and change

Looking pretty good after going to cut down a Christmas tree.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

11BulletCatcher posted:

The interior isn't spotless, but it's mostly put together. This Jag doesn't come without problems though.

Error display is intermittent, cruise control doesn't work, heater doesn't work, ac kind of works, just burst the pressure line for the mineral oil system that just so happens to power assist the brakes, and cylinder 5 started misfiring (non electric or air) ever since I picked the Plymouth up from Tennessee... but even with those problems I trust the car and it is a pleasure to drive, if a bit small for me to squeeze into.

Rear springs/struts from a 94+ will cure that bounce. Get the PAS pump too and delete all of the sls garbage.
check the cruise ecu, those fail a lot.
display failure is normal on the digital dashes. reflow the contacts or swap in the later one.
it has a dummy dizzy, check the wire/plug. if the timings off, its at the crank pulley!
the 4.0 has more power than most lovely carb'd SBCs anyway. plus you can stuff a blower on it if she wants power.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

Rear springs/struts from a 94+ will cure that bounce. Get the PAS pump too and delete all of the sls garbage.
display failure is normal on the digital dashes. reflow the contacts or swap in the later one.
it has a dummy dizzy, check the wire/plug. if the timings off, its at the crank pulley!
the 4.0 has more power than most lovely carb'd SBCs anyway. plus you can stuff a blower on it if she wants power.

I forgot that this is the later 4.0. The early fuel injection 6 bangers and v12s were garbage.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

cursedshitbox posted:

I think the PO already did the suspension delete, the ... valve block, I think?... anyhow, that thing that the mineral oil passes through only has one line coming off of it, the other one is disconnected and judging by lack of fluid, probably plugged properly. That means that it's only powering the brakes, thankfully, but if she decides to keep the car (she's considering a Miata at an undetermined time in the future) then I will probably convert that system to a vacuum booster for ease of maintenance/less headaches.

As for SBC's I love the 283/327 blocks, but I got her this car (and my own) to try to wean myself off of V8s. Good decision too. Her car, even on 5 cylinders, still delivers power very smoothly, and mine, with the Chrysler Flat 6, is very torquey for a 97 HP engine. Has no problem accelerating to traffic speeds.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

My MK4 GTI.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Bought this hoopty yesterday.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

crutt posted:

Ditch the fender stripes and put a supercharger on it (if it doesn't have one already). Details, please.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

meatpimp posted:

Ditch the fender stripes and put a supercharger on it (if it doesn't have one already). Details, please.

2000, m6, 100k miles. It was the previous owners owners baby, he almost cried as I drove away.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-corvettes-for-sale/3574260-fs-2000-arctic-white-coupe-13k-obo-dallas-tx.html

crutt fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 14, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Wow, that's an awesome car! I can't believe the amount of car you can get for $13 grand.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Bitchin' car, crutt. Dude took some great care of it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hmm, I'm going to France next year and I'm faced with the choice of slapping a huge ugly rear end GB sticker on the back, or spending about 17 times as much on new number plates with the EU badge. I'm strongly considering getting the new plates.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wow, that's an awesome car! I can't believe the amount of car you can get for $13 grand.

Why did i get a maxima instead of a corvette last year for 13k?

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
32 years old and bought my first car ever about a month ago (city boy). Pic from the day I drove it off the lot. 2015 Mazda 6 GS (Canadian trim). I'm so god drat in love every time I drive it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Ludicro posted:

Hmm, I'm going to France next year and I'm faced with the choice of slapping a huge ugly rear end GB sticker on the back, or spending about 17 times as much on new number plates with the EU badge. I'm strongly considering getting the new plates.

I recommend driving to Provence with a GB sticker to make friends with the locals.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

man thats gross posted:

32 years old and bought my first car ever about a month ago (city boy). Pic from the day I drove it off the lot. 2015 Mazda 6 GS (Canadian trim). I'm so god drat in love every time I drive it.

They really nailed the styling with the new 6's, love seeing them on the road. Was really impressed with the 2.5L in the new CX-5, bet that's a blast in a smaller car.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

crutt posted:

Welcome to C5 goonclub. I am super jealous that your 14 year old C5 with 100k seems to be in much better interior condition than my 5 year old with 39k was in 2003.

Edit: Holy crap I could get historic plates for mine in 3 years.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

masterpine posted:

They really nailed the styling with the new 6's, love seeing them on the road. Was really impressed with the 2.5L in the new CX-5, bet that's a blast in a smaller car.

Yeah the styling wooed me but the performance really won me over. Not that it's a race car or anything, but it's surprised me a few times. I'll bet it's a LOT of fun in the 3.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
My 2011 Ford Taurus ended up getting totaled...I bought this today. Picking it up next week - pretty excited. It handles a HECK of a lot better than the Taurus, that's for sure.

It's a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with pretty much every option box checked off (nav, adaptive cruise, parallel park assist which I'll try out once and never use again) with 3100 miles. Negotiated the price to $24.5k.

The 2.0 Ecoboost isn't ridiculously fast or anything but the thing can get out of it's own way when necessary at least. It has MyFord Touch which I'm sure will be a PITA, but for the money this car is pretty nice.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

My 2011 Ford Taurus ended up getting totaled...I bought this today. Picking it up next week - pretty excited. It handles a HECK of a lot better than the Taurus, that's for sure.

It's a 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with pretty much every option box checked off (nav, adaptive cruise, parallel park assist which I'll try out once and never use again) with 3100 miles. Negotiated the price to $24.5k.

The 2.0 Ecoboost isn't ridiculously fast or anything but the thing can get out of it's own way when necessary at least. It has MyFord Touch which I'm sure will be a PITA, but for the money this car is pretty nice.

I use standard cruise control borderline-obsessively, particularly in my Volt. What are your thoughts on adaptive cruise? It simultaneously hits my geek buttons, and would help deal with one of my biggest annoyances on the road: people whose definition of a cruising speed is somewhere between forty and ninety.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Adaptive cruise control is super cool and great for commuting. Pretty much set it and chill.

It feels creepy the first time you try it but once you get used to it you'll never want to go back.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I love the adaptive cruise in my car. It's really great for when there's people in front of you that have no idea how to regulate their speed. It has made highway driving a lot more relaxing.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Yeah I basically had to stop using standard cruise control because I'm either changing lanes constantly or constantly turning it off and on. Neither is really any easier or more relaxing than just doing it myself.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

Once upon a time, I lived on Cruise Control. Then, I moved to the SF bay area (90s dotcom). I literally haven't used once since, even with 10+ hours of driving a day at times. I just can't justify it, since every time I see an overpass I expect it to drop to 10mph or so... until the next overpass, then back to 65+, and back to 10 immediately after sighting it. :effort:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

There's a new Blackberry based MFT (or whatever they're calling it) on the way; hopefully it's something that can be updated to your car too.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

El Scotch posted:

There's a new Blackberry based MFT (or whatever they're calling it) on the way; hopefully it's something that can be updated to your car too.

Unfortunately no, the new Blackberry system uses different hardware (I checked).
Make sure Sync is up to date, you can download updates from the Ford owners site, makes a big difference.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I really like the new Mazda 6 and Ford Fusions, they're very similar cars, no? For so long I had been set on a Mazda 3 but kept reading worse and worse things compared to it's doubled brother.

Anyways, ended up getting my second Spec-V, my first being sold to my uncle almost 4 years ago who drives it about 120 miles/day. 108k miles, engine replaced at 14k (I guess that was a common occurrence for the early 2000's models? Only thing left to do is replace the front struts but they should be able to get me through the winter at least. Interior is mint, no rips anywhere unlike my last one (which also had Dynamat in just about ever panel possible).

I have definitely missed this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lblitzer posted:

I really like the new Mazda 6 and Ford Fusions, they're very similar cars, no? For so long I had been set on a Mazda 3 but kept reading worse and worse things compared to it's doubled brother.

Anyways, ended up getting my second Spec-V, my first being sold to my uncle almost 4 years ago who drives it about 120 miles/day. 108k miles, engine replaced at 14k (I guess that was a common occurrence for the early 2000's models? Only thing left to do is replace the front struts but they should be able to get me through the winter at least. Interior is mint, no rips anywhere unlike my last one (which also had Dynamat in just about ever panel possible).

I have definitely missed this car.

That's a really tiny garage.