Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Sorry to interrupt the burnout talk with my NEAI rust bucket, but, topless Friday, gently caress yeah. Maybe I'll join in with a hefty brake stand if I can find someone to tape it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

superscumbag posted:

This is quite the transition

Out with the old

In with the new

Shame you got rid of the G, but the volt looks great. How do you like it? I'd definitely consider a used one as long as they remain viably trouble-free.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

angryhampster posted:

Shame you got rid of the G, but the volt looks great. How do you like it? I'd definitely consider a used one as long as they remain viably trouble-free.

The problem with used Volts is they keep increasing the range of them so if you get an old one you're forever jealous of newer models.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

davebo posted:

The problem with used Volts is they keep increasing the range of them so if you get an old one you're forever jealous of newer models.

poo poo, that happens when you buy one new.

Reliabilitywise, mines at 35k with only one non-routine service item, which may or may not have been related to my friend tripping over the charge cable while it was plugged in. None of the recall items are a problem on mine, so I haven't had them done yet.

:v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bought a 2001 Silverado to eventually be my tow vehicle. Just cleaned her up nicely, a bit of a cross post from the detailing thread.

I still want to clean up the corrosion on the wheels an replace the front turn signal lights since they leak and there's some black poo poo (mold) and dead bugs inside the lenses. I'll probably wait to do the wheels when I put on new tires and strip the wheel weights off to get the whole wheel (they're on the outside, ugh, who still does this???) cleaned up. Then paint or plastidip a dark grey, I think. Then there's all the fluids to change, trans cooler, hitch poo poo, etc, etc. It will never end. Hopefully I'll have time to work on that race car at some point. :v:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Some parts of England are quite nice.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Drove down to Carmel through the 17 Mile Drive with about 60-70 other cars. Awesome cruise, almost exclusively american (muscle) cars + a random GT-R.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Larrymer posted:

there's some black poo poo (mold) and dead bugs inside the lenses.
Maybe mold, maybe charcoal depending on where it is. The DRL sockets on mine were literally burnt where the bulb attached but they still worked. GM really cheaped out with those.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Friar Zucchini posted:

Maybe mold, maybe charcoal depending on where it is. The DRL sockets on mine were literally burnt where the bulb attached but they still worked. GM really cheaped out with those.

The good news is that the lamps are $8 per side, new. Passing the savings on to the customer! :v:

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

veedubfreak posted:

How dark is the tint? Mine is 30% but after the fact doesn't seem dark enough. But then again it's as dark as I can go and still be "legal".

I ended up going with 20% all around save for the windshield. 27% is legal around here, but law enforcement is pretty lax about tint in this neck of the woods.

Threash posted:

Where did you get those tail lights? They look really nice.

I found them on eBay. Thanks! I love how they came out as well.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I took a 1000 mile trip over the weekend and blew out some cobwebs.

Edit: ^^ poo poo, I just realized I have missed my opportunity for worn-out-tire-burn-out-glory.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 1, 2015

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Cross-post of awesomeness at the Virginia City Hillclimb this past weekend. A number of goons were there too, but, I'll let them post their own stuff. OTOH, the wagon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5sJ_o0z7Y

My footage of my 3:51 run

My album of photos from the event

Someone's video of one of my launches

I ended up 10 seconds faster this year than last, at 3:51, which put me in (very) good company. Fantastic weekend, lots of fun.

PS,

Ether Frenzy posted:

Finally. A burnout. Tremek's really going to have to up his game at the Hillclimb launch to compete now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Nicely done.

I'll have to come next year with a little more planning, I didn't have time to get my oil changed/get new tires/figure travel & lodging out sufficiently this year once I got the wild idea to come up at the last moment. In Scott's words from last year though, "I'm not doing thaaat."

In other news, we're getting a GT4 friend at work soon, she just got notified that it arrived on the boat today. Hopefully they tow that mostly-stationary yellow piece of poo poo and clean up the superfund site underneath it and she can park there.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Tremek posted:

Cross-post of awesomeness at the Virginia City Hillclimb this past weekend. A number of goons were there too, but, I'll let them post their own stuff. OTOH, the wagon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw5sJ_o0z7Y

My footage of my 3:51 run

My album of photos from the event

Someone's video of one of my launches

I ended up 10 seconds faster this year than last, at 3:51, which put me in (very) good company. Fantastic weekend, lots of fun.

PS,

Awesome stuff. Looks like a clean run, although i think I heard an "oh poo poo" at one point. That instagram link mentions that the Motor Trend crew in a v-wagon, do you work for motor trend or were you giving them rides?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Nicely done.

I'll have to come next year with a little more planning, I didn't have time to get my oil changed/get new tires/figure travel & lodging out sufficiently this year once I got the wild idea to come up at the last moment. In Scott's words from last year though, "I'm not doing thaaat."

In other news, we're getting a GT4 friend at work soon, she just got notified that it arrived on the boat today. Hopefully they tow that mostly-stationary yellow piece of poo poo and clean up the superfund site underneath it and she can park there.

What is the yellow thing in question? I don't recognize it from that angle.

si
Apr 26, 2004

blk posted:

What is the yellow thing in question? I don't recognize it from that angle.

Was wondering that myself, seems to be one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manta_Mirage

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

si posted:

Was wondering that myself, seems to be one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manta_Mirage

Mid-engine 350sbc powered car with curb weight <2,000 lbs. :stare:

:jackbud:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Modus Man posted:

Awesome stuff. Looks like a clean run, although i think I heard an "oh poo poo" at one point. That instagram link mentions that the Motor Trend crew in a v-wagon, do you work for motor trend or were you giving them rides?

I think the "Oh poo poo" was following coming into a tight left-hander with speed and me getting on the brakes sufficiently hard to trigger ABS, but that car and its brakes are still heroic and I probably can do that every time I go into that corner. Doesn't make it any less scary! Next year is Hoosiers and sway bars and aggressive pads so I can feel a little better about not understeering into the hill or over the side of it.

Whoever posted the instagram thing is confused, I'm not with Motor Trend, but they probably thought all these Cadillacs were somehow related to MT as Jonny Lieberman was there with his crew all weekend campaigning a pre-production 2016 CTS-V, which was awesome. Jonny and his crew were cool dudes and he was fast in the car.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wagon > Sedan

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GramCracker posted:

Wagon > Sedan

In that body style, Wagon > Sedan > Coupe

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Noise Complaint posted:

Sorry to interrupt the burnout talk with my NEAI rust bucket, but, topless Friday, gently caress yeah. Maybe I'll join in with a hefty brake stand if I can find someone to tape it.

This brings back fond memories of my first Bronco (a '91?) which was driven for much of its life muddy and without a top!

The only crappy picture I have left of the thing:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

meatpimp posted:

In that body style, Wagon > Sedan > Coupe All

ftfy

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

You should bring that Golf R out next year and surprise people, it's an amazing event.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
First new car for me. 2016 GTI base with a third pedal.

Got tired of dealing with older cars. This way costs a lot more but gently caress it, I like it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
There was a bit of confusion from this year's event, between Hooniverse reporting the P1 won (it was shoeish in his GTR again) and the Smoking Tire / Motor Trend crew. I asked Jonny to bring his choice of car and a film crew to the hill this year, so there will be an MT video forthcoming as well as MT/Roadkill articles.

Tremek got a nice shot of me taking the big decreasing radius turn before the straight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xb19dkZiyI

Jonny suggested adding wheelcam on my run which turned out nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlI8CSD_T5s

Here are Tremek's tires:

This was definitely the best event we've had in my tenure. I think between MT/TST/hooniverse writing and shooting the event we'll have even more awesome poo poo next year.
http://hooniverse.com/2015/09/02/hooniverse-goes-to-the-virginia-city-hillclimb/

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Das Volk posted:

There was a bit of confusion from this year's event, between Hooniverse reporting the P1 won (it was shoeish in his GTR again) and the Smoking Tire / Motor Trend crew. I asked Jonny to bring his choice of car and a film crew to the hill this year, so there will be an MT video forthcoming as well as MT/Roadkill articles.

Tremek got a nice shot of me taking the big decreasing radius turn before the straight:

Jonny suggested adding wheelcam on my run which turned out nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlI8CSD_T5s

Here are Tremek's tires:

This was definitely the best event we've had in my tenure. I think between MT/TST/hooniverse writing and shooting the event we'll have even more awesome poo poo next year.
http://hooniverse.com/2015/09/02/hooniverse-goes-to-the-virginia-city-hillclimb/

Swaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

They loved the Viper.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BlackMK4 posted:

First new car for me. 2016 GTI base with a third pedal.

Got tired of dealing with older cars. This way costs a lot more but gently caress it, I like it.

Time for a name change to WhiteMK7?

Nice looking GTI

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hah, apparently so. :)

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Did you get the performance pack?

If so how much better is it at corner exit compared to the one wheel burnouts old GTIs were so good at?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Did you get the performance pack?

If so how much better is it at corner exit compared to the one wheel burnouts old GTIs were so good at?

Nope, completely base. Daily driver that is meant to be a little fun but not cause me to want to start tracking it... I stick to bikes for that. Much easier to toss them in the trash and walk away when something happens.

If you go WOT in first in a straight line it will want to light up a tire in the upper revs, shifting into second it will want to spin again. Disabling traction control doesn't fully disable it, also. Leaving corners it heavily neuters the power.

On the other hand, this is after my 35mi work commute.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Nope, completely base. Daily driver that is meant to be a little fun but not cause me to want to start tracking it... I stick to bikes for that. Much easier to toss them in the trash and walk away when something happens.

If you go WOT in first in a straight line it will want to light up a tire in the upper revs, shifting into second it will want to spin again. Disabling traction control doesn't fully disable it, also. Leaving corners it heavily neuters the power.

On the other hand, this is after my 35mi work commute.

Wow that's impressive for a turbo 4. My soon to be sold STI gets like 20mpg max on my commute.

It's too bad that it still likes to light up a tire, but like the mk5 and 6 it's pretty amazing at everything else.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Das Volk posted:

Nice. That car sounds great, and that blue bonnet stretching out in front of you looks perfect under the Nevada sky on the in-car footage. Clever plan getting the media to do the writeup for you.

I'll see you guys next year.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fw3mpetFu4

Had fun tracking the wife's car. Ended up passing every car there in a 3 series!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Edit: ^^^ that photo is the most accurate representation of the real-world color of the car I've seen. Whoever that photographer is, did it right.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 8, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
I feel like jumping in behind a blue viper is...ill advised.

but i picked up a new used car as a utility/second car today. my wife has somewhat adopted the tesla so...

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fjelltorsk posted:

I feel like jumping in behind a blue viper is...ill advised.

but i picked up a new used car as a utility/second car today. my wife has somewhat adopted the tesla so...

Norway?

That truck has to cost a fortune if so.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

I got a truck too. It's large.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Jealous Cow posted:

Norway?

That truck has to cost a fortune if so.

Yeah, in Norway. Its lightly used and i haggled abit. But if i did a straight up currency convertion and told you the price you guys would laugh at me. badly

i guess i could get several used pickuptrucks for 51k dollars huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You could get 51 used pickup trucks for that much here.