Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

In a move sure to piss off purists of at least two brands:

gently caress the purists that looks really, really, good.

Donkey!

(unfogged headlights make it look so much nicer, goddamn)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure bolting superior german parts onto yer fahv hunnert hawspawr fancy Chivra-lay isn't going to piss off too many BMW people. It looks good, do a burnout at the start line again.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Tremek posted:

Thanks. It's a done deal now!

Kid tested, mother approved.

Verified, 6 pack fits in the cooled center console.

It's pretty sweet. Looking forward to many hundreds of thousands of miles of going places and seeing & doing things in the Cruiser.

There are guys who are clocking up half a million km's in their 100 series around here without any fault- Toyota literally build the things on the exact same line as the Lexus LX's (The LX450, 470 and 570 all are basically blinged out 80's, 100's and 200 cruisers) so they're built to the lexus standards- Mines coming up on 11 yrs old now and doesnt have a single interior squeak from the plastics- only stuff that makes noise is poo poo i've bolted in like the cargo barrier and drawer units.

The Cooler centre console is legit too- its run off the AC circuit so its a PROPER fridge, rather than a peltier based solution.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tremek posted:

That looks amazingly good. I can't believe they fit so well (dimensional fit and style).

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Tremek posted:

That looks *quite* good.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Yesterday I bought this:

And these:

And this:

I'll put a project thread together once I've done something more exciting than putting it into my garage and staring at it.

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 21, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ferremit posted:

Mines coming up on 11 yrs old now and doesnt have a single interior squeak from the plastics- only stuff that makes noise is poo poo i've bolted in like the cargo barrier and drawer units.

The build quality on Japanese manufactured Toyotas really is superior to their American counterparts.

My 16yo 4Runner w/ 185k mi has fewer interior rattles than my '11 Tacoma had a year in. My wife's 07 4Runner is dead silent and drives like new w/ 128k on it.

It's really pretty crazy how well they are made in Japan.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
They lose honor if they build a lovely car. I think.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

zundfolge posted:

Yesterday I bought this:

And these:

And this:

I'll put a project thread together once I've done something more exciting than putting it into my garage and staring at it.

I'm cool with staring at it being the first few posts in the thread.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I bought this.

No poo poo, 2JZ!

188,000 KMs, one owner, looks like it's been serviced at Lexus its entire life. It's 14000k into its 15k service interval and the oil looks like it does when it goes in, so I don't think it's ever missed a change. It's an auto with 5 speed "e-shift". I'm pretty sure we didn't even get the 5 speed mantran here, and even the autos come up for sale so rarely that they're almost approaching unicorn status in West Aus. It's a comfy cruiser so I don't mind, too much, and the e-shift isn't actually too bad - all it does is set the highest gear the transmission will upshift to. It'll still downshift as usual. Makes some pretty sweet (albeit subdued) noises when you leave it in second and plant it.

Unmolested, few issues to work out - dash has melted as is typical for all the 1st gen IS's (can be fixed with goo remover and vinyl paint), runs out of fuel at 1/4 tank (probably pickup), needs valve cover gaskets replacing (but came with the new ones in the boot).

Lexus premium sound system is pretty drat decent, just needed a sub firing through the ski port and it'll be better than some of my previous aftermarket installations. Have ordered some bits and pieces such as an aux in adapter and speaker level converters to let me run the stock head unit but still have an Aux in and run a sub. Good times!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bought this yesterday:

It's a 2005 Ford Ranger XL, the absolute base model possible: regular cab, manual transmission, incredibly basic AM/FM radio, 4 cylinder engine, manual windows. So far, it's been great. Only thing wrong is a very noisy fuel pump; I figure it'll eventually give out and I'll put in a new one but for the time being, you can only hear it when you're outside so I don't care much.

Future plans:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wow, that interior looks shockingly clean. Congrats on your new utility truck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Very nice!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Future plans:

Nice truck.

Are CB radios still A Thing in the US?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Future plans:

Cup holders, 5-speed and plastic floors...it's the perfect basic truck. Courier has a one piece plastic mat that I want to get rid of then rhino line the interior after I fix the rust spots.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

spog posted:

Nice truck.

Are CB radios still A Thing in the US?

Truckers and off-roaders use CB, but that's a 2m ham radio. New Mexico has a state-wide linked repeater network that means you can reach the whole state from most anywhere.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The lack of A/C would make that truck a total no-go here in AZ, but otherwise that's a solid buy. I'm sure it's a lot nicer with the MZR instead of the old Pinto.

Plus, you know, easier to do an Ecoboost swap into. :getin:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The lack of A/C would make that truck a total no-go here in AZ, but otherwise that's a solid buy. I'm sure it's a lot nicer with the MZR instead of the old Pinto.

Always wanted to throw a turbo 4 from a t bird into an old ranger. Only problem is all the turbo thunderbird around Chicago are either rust or destroyed. Nice truck. That is a color combo you don't see a lot.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, mid-summer in Albuquerque tends to average around 100, which isn't nice but I've dealt with that sort of heat without A/C before and I can do it again. We're also getting 80-85 degree days now and it should remain pretty pleasant for the rest of the summer.

Maybe I'll make a little swamp cooler for the passenger footwell next year :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Pham Nuwen posted:

Bought this yesterday:

It's loving perfect.

I have a bunch of leftover crap from my ranger, including an SCT tuner. You want it?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's loving perfect.

I have a bunch of leftover crap from my ranger, including an SCT tuner. You want it?

poo poo, sure! PM me?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
Here is my old man's midlife crisis car. I bought it about 6 months ago for $9500.

Itchy Itchiford
Apr 5, 2009

mmhmm
Man C5s are such a performance bargain right now. Nice choice!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Krycek posted:

Here is my old man's midlife crisis car. I bought it about 6 months ago for $9500.

Welcome to the C5 club! I thought my '98 was a performance bargain in 2003, and while I'm sad it may only be worth around 10k now, depreciating only 10k in 13 years isn't bad at all. How many miles on yours? 9.5k seems a little lower than average from when I see them on craigslist, but people could probably negotiate down to that I suppose.

Edit: do you have the window top and if so has the right side flaked off yet? Also, any excuse to post this:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

:hfive: old man C5 buds

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

davebo posted:

Welcome to the C5 club! I thought my '98 was a performance bargain in 2003, and while I'm sad it may only be worth around 10k now, depreciating only 10k in 13 years isn't bad at all. How many miles on yours? 9.5k seems a little lower than average from when I see them on craigslist, but people could probably negotiate down to that I suppose.

Edit: do you have the window top and if so has the right side flaked off yet? Also, any excuse to post this:

I got it with just under 120k miles. When I got it, the front bumper was hosed up with rock chips and damaged clearcoat. It was originally from Arizona and a previous owner had let the sun and heat ruin the clearcoat. I just now got the bumper repainted and decided to take some pics. The guy who sold it to me was upgrading to a 2008 c6. He wanted $12k but with the paint damage, I got it down to $9500. It does not have the glass roof, but I looked at several other C5s with glass roofs and all had some degree of flaking.

This is a total nostalgia trip for me. I graduated high school the year the c5 released. So it was something really special to see one on the road as a teenager/20something. It's now my daily driver and I'm going to maintain it for as long as I can and just drive all the fun out of it until it won't go any further.

opengl128 posted:

:hfive: old man C5 buds

The silver looks drat sweet!

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 29, 2016

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

give me them hvac contracts

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Krycek posted:

This is a total nostalgia trip for me. I graduated high school the year the c5 released. So it was something really special to see one on the road as a teenager/20something. It's now my daily driver and I'm going to maintain it for as long as I can and just drive all the fun out of it until it won't go any further.

I had a matchbox car of the dualtone '78 pace car Corvette as a kid, but mainly grew up wanting the C4. When I finally got to an age I could buy one, I found a green '96 on craigslist, sat in it and realized it was just too cramped for my liking. Sat in a C5 at a dealership and it was perfect, I just needed a bit more money. Got lucky with an ebay auction in early '03 on a '98 and although the new C7's are incredible, this is still plenty of car for my needs. Thankfully the flaking on the top is on the right side so it doesn't really bother me much, and I wouldn't trade that window top for anything.

Old photo but let's keep this C5 train rolling.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Nice C5s! My dad has one but I never really liked the shifter feel; is there a recommended way to improve that?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

blk posted:

Nice C5s! My dad has one but I never really liked the shifter feel; is there a recommended way to improve that?

I put a C6 shifter in mine. Drops right in and feels a million times better. Also has the benefit of not looking like a horse dong from the 80's since they carried over the C4 knob to the C5 because GM.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I did a thing a few months ago and I am looking for advice on winter wheels and tires. Probably don't want to go for steelies.

Unrelated but I realized a couple of months ago that I went to middle school with the guy who founded Imgur. Been thinkin' about dropping him and his sister a line just to see if they remembered me but I don't want them to think of me as one of those people who is all "NOW THAT YOURE SUCCESSFUL LETS HANG OUT" type folks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Unrelated but I realized a couple of months ago that I went to middle school with the guy who founded Imgur. Been thinkin' about dropping him and his sister a line just to see if they remembered me but I don't want them to think of me as one of those people who is all "NOW THAT YOURE SUCCESSFUL LETS HANG OUT" type folks.

Tell him to quit loving up the interface.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Rhyno posted:

Tell him to quit loving up the interface.

Oh god, the mobile app is such a piece of poo poo. There was one a version or two ago that was actually useful but since I upgraded to a new phone it just downloaded the latest one and I've just learned to deal with this poo poo one. Haven't bothered to find the old version apk so whatever, I tracked it down on my last phone since the update made it into such a piece of poo poo.

That's my old man rant for the day.

E: not the chat thread

Have a picture of my over crowded driveway

Skeeber
Jul 13, 2006
So I read here a lot but don't post very much, usually not enough to contribute. But I figure this is post worthy.

For a while I've been looking for a replacement for my trusty faithful Mazda 6 wagon. Was looking for something more fun, but also still useable day to day. I was looking at Charger SRTs, but apparently B5 blue is super rare, two total (between SRT and scat pack in the province). So I expanded my search a little, and turns out fast cats are more affordable than I thought. Probably not what you (nor I) were thinking

So much more car, so much more fun.

So far there are ZERO complaints. It's such a nice place to sit, every little detail is perfect.

Oh, I forgot to mention, it's fast. Stupid fast. Very VERY fast.

I took it on a trip up through the mountains today, little twisty roads, I think I'm in love.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Skeeber posted:

So I read here a lot but don't post very much, usually not enough to contribute. But I figure this is post worthy.

Have you tried seducing your coworker's spouse, now that you drive a jaaaaaaaag.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well they're affordable while they work...

Anyway it does look awesome and drives very well, from what I've heard, so congrats!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm calling BS, pictures of a jaguar in two different places in a single post? :v:

(kidding, nice car! And the signage and terrain on that road makes me wish I had more like it around here)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
How could you want a blue Charger but not get an XFR in blue?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

A friend has had his XFR for 4 years now with no major issues, and he daily drives it. I think he's close to 100k on it now. Jaguar (by way of Tata) has made significant strides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeeber
Jul 13, 2006

El Scotch posted:

Have you tried seducing your coworker's spouse, now that you drive a jaaaaaaaag.

Not yet, but it's next on my list!

mobby_6kl posted:

Well they're affordable while they work...

Anyway it does look awesome and drives very well, from what I've heard, so congrats!

Thanks! And yes, that was one of my biggest concerns, so I (over)paid for a 4 year extended warranty.

kastein posted:

I'm calling BS, pictures of a jaguar in two different places in a single post? :v:

(kidding, nice car! And the signage and terrain on that road makes me wish I had more like it around here)

Well there are two different license plates pictured... dealer plates

And thank you, that's just north of Vancouver, and was one hell of a way to get to know it.

davebo posted:

How could you want a blue Charger but not get an XFR in blue?
They don't exist as far as I can see; from here to Alberta I found black, white, or this silver grey colour.
Plus different type of car. To me a Charger is in your face and over the top, it deserves something loud.
This is much more refined and understated...ish.