Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Vulture posted:

Hello all. Would anyone here be willing to create a drawing for me? I am willing to pay.

I didn't see this post when I got posted but anyone who is willing to do a commission would probably prefer to respond in this thread!

I am not sure how many CC artists are doing commissions these days. It's also worth keeping an eye on SA mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is it normal for calls for artists to essentially be just paying for a chance to possibly display your work?

All of my city's calls for artists have submission fees (anywhere from $10-50 per piece), they're then juried and the selected pieces are displayed as part of an exhibition where they can be listed as for sale, usually with a price cap around $300-500 and a 30%+ commission for the gallery. It seems like a big gamble since you'd have to get over the hurdles of being selected by the jury and then actually selling at exhibition. There's one that would be ideal for my work, but the submission fee is $35/piece and the gallery takes a 35% cut, I would straight-up lose money unless at least 25% of what I submitted was chosen and then actually sold. Even the local artist grants have application fees - like a $45 application fee for a $2,000 grant that only has one recipient.

There's nothing I can submit anything to as a broke artist :mad: Am I just out of touch and this is the way arts opportunities work these days?

I am signed up to get calls from:

EntryThingy https://www.entrythingy.com/forartists_calls
CAFE https://artist.callforentry.org
and Zapp https://www.zapplication.org

there are some calls that cost nothing to enter. A lot of the calls they have are pretty specific, but you never know what will pop up. All are legit sources though Zapp is more art fair/festival focused they do sometimes have online events listed.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Can anyone recommend an upright box for 8.5x11 sketchbooks? Like the kind that RPG sets come in, a slip case? I'm sure someone sells one but damned if I can locate it myself. I'd like one to hold three pentalic sketchbooks but I'd just buy a full set if that's what it took.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I'm kind of lost as to where to even start.

Hoping since this is a "creative" matter, I can post my question here.

Does anyone have a good resource on how to animate for a youtube channel?

I have an idea I've been kicking around for a few years now in my head for a channel, but I don't even know where I should look for good instruction.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Are you looking to learn animation generally? Or are you looking for advice on running a channel? Because the two are very different. For a good primer on animation, I recommend The Animator's Survival Kit.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Both, honeslty.

Very simple animation that's suited for commentary on existing videos.

And

Maybe I need a class on that sort of youtube (running it, creating for it, etc).

Any info on that? Reputable sites that sell lessons or online courses?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have no clue on the "running a YT channel" side, but I strongly suspect that 99% of the resources out there are going to be shoddy cash grabs (i.e. "buy our course on how to get rich as a YT personality!"). Something to bear in mind with "content creation" is that there's no reliable way to build an audience. If there were, everyone would've figured that way out and would be doing it and nothing else. We know that the bare minimum is producing a steady supply of content, but beyond that it's mostly just throwing stuff at the screaming void and seeing what sticks.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah your asking about how to get started with two separate topics that are rather complex to just get into.

Maybe you don't want to share your idea, but can you be any more specific about what you are trying to do? Do you actually need to make animations and are we talking like animated objects and characters or just motion graphics with some keyframe manipulation?

Youtube is extremely saturated and successful channels have to consider stuff like:

- Video title
- Video thumbnail
- Video length
- Release schedule of content
- Merchandizing
- Sponsored content

And it changes whenever Google decides to start favoring something new in the algorithm deciding what to suggest.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

The Bananana posted:

Maybe I need a class on that sort of youtube (running it, creating for it, etc).

Any info on that? Reputable sites that sell lessons or online courses?

Our own dead forums have a YouTube thread that gets occassional traffic. You can see what people have found works... for them. It's really hard to say how much of it applies across the board, so you end up:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

mostly just throwing stuff at the screaming void and seeing what sticks.

My own example -- I have only a handful of videos out -- is that poo poo's unpredictable:

First video: Simpsons meme miniature that became much more involved than I thought it would -- 443 views
Second video: display case for some retro talking clocks -- 245 views
Third video: a wood sculpture -- 103 views
Fourth video: a short of a failed Die Hard Christmas ornament -- 2500 views

The amount of effort I put into making the sculpture video (both the build and the editing) vs. the short doesn't even begin to compare. And yet the short does 25x the traffic. poo poo's wild.

Granted, shorts are a different beast altogether, and my videos are just of things I found interesting to make vs. trying to carve out a specific niche. But I do agree with what TMA said: I doubt there's a conclusive approach anyone can point to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If you talk to any successful content creators you'll quickly learn that these are people who are so passionate about what they're doing that they can't imagine NOT doing it. Usually these are people who were already creating a ton of stuff for free. You should really just start making videos as best you can and when you run into something you'd like to do but don't know how, that's when you go do some research. You might start with "adding text to a video" or even "Davinci Resolve Basics" etc. Do not go into this trying to be the next MrBeast, go into this wanting to share your passion about something. Just my 2 cents!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

I, uh, need a tool I can feed pictures into that will spit out a super cheesy slideshow with the absolute least amount of work possible. Extras I'd like but am not married too include it looking lovely and low effort, and being able to use that green day song that people always use for slideshows. An online, in browser, tool would be juicy af.

Any ideas?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Literally A Person posted:

I, uh, need a tool I can feed pictures into that will spit out a super cheesy slideshow with the absolute least amount of work possible. Extras I'd like but am not married too include it looking lovely and low effort, and being able to use that green day song that people always use for slideshows. An online, in browser, tool would be juicy af.

Any ideas?

Make a Google Photos album? They have a built-in slideshow feature. No music support, but you could always just use a media player alongside.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Make a Google Photos album? They have a built-in slideshow feature. No music support, but you could always just use a media player alongside.

Boom.

Duh.

And thank you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is there even a thread for other social media sites like instagram?

I've been having this thing exclusively on desktop insta where if you use anything: browser, desktop app, or different browser (ive tried firefox and edge) it will have this thing where every other instagram account's stories will have every. single. @tag direct you to the wrong one. So if you're looking at @johnny5aces and he tags @sam in a story it will instead pop up @someotherfucker who he happened to tag in 1 out of 100 stories. And every. single. tag will be @someotherfucker

i have noticed on firefox you can press spacebar to pause and play stories but when it's doing the redirect you can't do that fwiw. Also when you are getting redirected you can open a new tab on the wrong link. Which would be a great QOL feature for CORRECT story linking but that would require good design from a multibillion dollar app

again this never ever happens on phone

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In general I've found the web experience to have lots of bugs and that will stick around for awhile and then new ones pop up.

For pausing, can you click he actual pause button on the story? Spacebar isn't the only input.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I can

I mainly brought it up as a tell

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

instagram's desktop experience is purposefully poo poo to convince you to migrate to the app

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ok, I'm losing my damned mind.

We used to have a fountain pen thread, and it's seemed to have disappeared.

So I'm gonna take this shot- I've got a TWSBI pen, the kind that vacuum loads. And the silicone used to grease the seals has gone entirely missing. It's a tiny bottle, really easy to misplace.

where can I get more of this stuff? all the pen resources I've found only sell a thick grease that won't work, and TWSBI doesn't have it on their storefront.

I really like this pen and want to keep it in good shape!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The fountain pen thread is here for ??? reasons.

(I don't participate in it, just remembered it was weirdly in the Ask/Tell subforum, as I used it to stalk my Secret Santa victim a couple years back)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is there an airbrush thread? I'm being gifted a siphon setup and want to learn a bit about technique.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Do we have a thread anywhere dedicated to painting with oils, acrylics, etc.?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

The Demilich posted:

Do we have a thread anywhere dedicated to painting with oils, acrylics, etc.?

Traditional Art Thread

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Decent basic image editing freeware that a dummy like me can use to open a bunch of tiffs & or pdfs to clip chunks out and resize/resample/re-save them as jpegs for official form-filling out purposes? In the back-before times I think I used a relatively popular free editor called uhhh rjpg? Something like that? But these days it’s all an unfathomable mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

idiotsavant posted:

Decent basic image editing freeware that a dummy like me can use to open a bunch of tiffs & or pdfs to clip chunks out and resize/resample/re-save them as jpegs for official form-filling out purposes? In the back-before times I think I used a relatively popular free editor called uhhh rjpg? Something like that? But these days it’s all an unfathomable mystery

I'd say Krita or Gimp