Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do we have a pen/writing instrument thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The only good way is to use a piece of hardware called a monitor calibrator. Anything else is basically guessing. Your laptop screen might not have the same color space as your proper monitor also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kshift posted:

What's a good way to network with people looking to create animations or skits as a writer/music producer?

The whole "Hey, I really like your stuff. Here's some of my stuff. Wanna work on some stuff together?" route hasn't been working very well. Meaning that I'm either poo poo, or I'm doing something wrong.

Not sure what you're making but you should look at offering your services to people making little games, people always need music/sfx/ambient stuff and it's hard to find.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kshift posted:

Funnily enough I do a lot of game styled music when I'm not doing hip hop or anything experimental! Do you know any good sites to find people making games that isn't Reddit?

https://itch.io/community is a good place to start. I'll ask a well connected friend also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I made an account and used one of their themes. I just added a background and avatar pic. Not sure how to get followers but I started liking and re-posting other people's stuff. I'll have to look more into how tumblr works.

No you've pretty much got it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

As a photographer I don't want clients having the RAWs because they'll make it look like trash with their own editing and then tell people it's my photo. This is a very standard approach in photography.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Thanks for all of the help guys. My tumblr is mainly about struggling with mental illness and addiction and what I'm doing to get out of it and trying to live a happy and healthy life (lol). I have maybe 5 or so followers right now. I have quite a bit to talk about I've been discovering which is surprising and good. Due to the nature of the blog there are so many ups and downs so the posts are sporadic but I'm still putting out regular content.

I'm also finding that I really want to get content out there to help people that are in my shoes or struggling with related issues. I'm glad you guys said to just say "gently caress it" and do it. What's the worst that can happen?

Also it's funny and sad how many people out there have 100% self-diagnosed issues. Ugh. At least my story can come from legit sources and I have quite the long history of it. Right now I'm just liking other posts and following others in hopes of getting more followers.

Anyway, thanks for the motivation boost guys. Whether anything comes from this or not it could possibly be good therapy for myself. Who knows?

Yeah I think that's 80% of active tumblrs and probably the reason 95% of people run the other 20%. As long as you keep your ears out of their bizarre echo chamber when it comes to social norms etc it's probably good therapy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Zipperelli. posted:

So a quick follow up:

I finally got a hold of someone on Twitter from the graphics site, and they told me "It looks like it was already sent out, let me talk to the artist"

2 hours later, I got the most rushed, poo poo work I've ever seen, with absolutely no attention to anything I asked for. I didn't even respond, and deleted the files I got sent.

Anyone here familiar with designing twitch overlays that wants to make some money? PM me.

Respond with "This seems like a rushed effort to get me something quickly and it is lacking the style points I had requested when I made the initial order. At this point I must ask for my money back". Why wouldn't you even try to get your money back?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah grab an odorless thinner. Look into getting a container for it that allows you to reuse the thinner also.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jake Snake posted:

That's a good point I haven't considered. I'm sure that's still true with pigments containing cadmium or cobalt. With acrylics I used to just scrape the dried paint off the palette and dump it in the trash. I'm guessing oils dry slow enough where you can save the unused paint?

Yeah carefully put tinfoil over your palette and it'll last a good few days depending on the paint and blend with linseed.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/DmeQ5

Quake man

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Watch a lot of the GDC talks on YouTube is you're looking for content to consume on the subject. Also look for the low budget pre-planned meal YouTube's at the same time because you will make no money.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Cascading Style Sheet

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

unaligned ant posted:

First off, thank you for the Mod Podge lead, it's been absolutely perfect for my uses. I'm not sure what I didn't understand about it the first time around, or why I was avoiding it.

So I have another idiot question for y'all, though.

I've made a test collage over hardboard. I thought it would be easier to collage first and drill the binding holes after, that way it would seem seamless and I wouldn't have to collage around the holes. I'm having some trouble drilling clean holes into the hardboard, however. The hardboard seems to like, vaporize, to some degree. It looks like poo poo. It's probably just my unsteady hand, though, I do not have a drill press and am using a Dremel with a drill attachment to do this which is pretty terrible but then again I haven't had so much trouble with drywall and wood, so I'm surprised.

Has anyone had any success drilling cleanly into hardboard? If so, any specific bits/speeds/settings/tricks? Do I just need to be steadier?

Pics showing the hardboard I'm using and the gross as hell drill holes.

I'm going to try and find a drill press I can use and test on that as well, but just in case anyone had some insight I thought I'd ask here because finding a press will be difficult.

Just use a cordless drill and a drill bit. High speed is best.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Photography is relatively cheap to get into as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

I used to write all the time and got out of the habit recently, when I had a kid and had to work full time again. I want to start a blog and maybe eventually do freelance writing, but that's a topic for the other thread. It's blogging a waste of time? What platform should I blog on if it isn't a waste? Do I need to pick a theme and stick with it, or can I just write about whatever is on my mind? I guess the goal I have with blogging is to be able to point to my blog when asked for a portfolio since I don't have any experience as a freelancer. Is that a terrible idea?

What kind of freelance writing are you hoping to do in the future?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The Skeleton King posted:

What do you do if you want to learn how to draw? I don't think practicing is enough to learn when I don't know the basics or anything. Is there techniques that make it easier to draw well? All I know is that no matter how much I practice my stuff is still garbage. I can't do perspective, posing, anatomical accuracy, lighting, or anything unless I trace it and even then it still looks like poo poo. I try looking for guides online, but those don't help at all. I'm assuming that I have to go to an actual class in order to learn.

I've asked people this before, but I never get a good answer. Practice isn't enough if I don't know what to practice.

I was in this situation and I even took a traditional fine arts course in post-secondary hoping to come out of it better and I was still useless. Let me know if you find something that works but I ended up just finding other means to express my creativity.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Apparently that stuff is fine on YouTube as long as you include a loud 30 second poorly animated ‘________ PRODUCTIONS’ scene at the beginning.

Honestly I’m sure nobody cares if you post that here but that might also be the critical reception you receive.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

He probably sketched that in digital with a tablet but you could do that with a pencil for the outline.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spinster posted:

Total computer idiot here. Down the road I'm going to get a laptop (or tablet?) And I want to be able to use MS Paint. Is that something you can still buy and use on anything?

It comes with every version of windows. It's ok to be a computer idiot - be aware though that there are hundreds of programs like that and don't make your purchase decisions based on it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spinster posted:

Thank you. My mom has a Mac so I haven't tried to draw with it because I gather it doesnt the same way.

You can get paint-like programs for every computer, tablet, phone, etc. You could find something free for the Mac.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Vilgefartz posted:

I'm looking to buy some heavy metal guitar sound samples, like really short 2-3 second bursts of shredding and stuff. I've looked around a few website libraries and i can't find what i want. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

e: ALL GOOD i found out that the keyword for short samples are 'logo' and 'stinger'.

The music subforum could probably make that for you as well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you wanting this for only specific areas of the work? If not just hit the whole piece with a mix of sansodor, stand oil, and “liquin all” when you’re done and you’ll get a glossy coat. Try it on another test painting first maybe.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there still a forum/thread where freelance goons do 'art' for money?

Just start an SA-Mart thread if you need the art.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i'm looking into drawing some medieval maps in a style similar to the bayeux tapestry

my first thought was 'just draw it on a wacom tablet' but then I realized it would be cool to make some inks and draw it out physically

my only concern is digitizing my physical map, there's a good chance it's going to be larger than 8.5"x11" so I'm not sure how that would even work. Maybe a photograph? I wouldn't want to lose any resolution, though. I have no idea how this works :(

Yeah a photo with good lighting and then correct for distortion in ps.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To add to the above poster, 72dpi is basically the default for web images because that used to be the common screen resolution.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

This is helpful info. I'm an idiot though so I still don't really understand what it does because it doesn't seem to create any visual difference. If this is something that only applies when you print, what happens if you save a picture as a png and print that? Will it somehow save the resolution of the picture along with it?

it only applies when you print because DOTS only exist as dots of paint in real life.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

g spence posted:

I need a font type identified asap. It has the same lettering style as griddy blocks, but without the cross hairs over it. already tried idenifont and got nothing. currently combing 1001fonts.com but that might take awhile, any ideas?

Are you sure it's not proprietary?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Narzack posted:

Do we have a thread for resume feedback? Specifically, those of us in a freelance or non-office job? I'm a freelance sports cameraman, specifically, and I'm trying to build a resume, but getting pretty frustrated with the whole process.

Post your portfolio in the dorkroom if you want crit on it I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

This is likely the wrong place to ask this, but I thought in the past I had seen a place where you could talk to creatively minded goons to potentially hire them for small projects and things. I have an idea for a small gift for my wife (one of those picture frame collages but with quotes from the songs she sings to our son each night rather than pictures) that would look 100x better with a graphic designer's touch but I'm not sure how to go about getting this, and not even sure if the timing (~1 week) is even feasible.

SA-Mart thread is what you want to make.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

I don't really know where else to ask this question, which is sort of circular in its own way.

I'm working on a board game. It's not for any sale or anything, it's just a derpy DIY thing I'm trying to do. It's all based around these sort of constellation myths. I need about a hundred sort of capsule-sized myths. My girlfriend and I could just do this ourselves, but having others contribute would help give it a variance in theme and voice. But like, I'm not looking to pay anyone. It's just a thing. But then I thought, this could be a fun writing exercise, anyway. I thought maybe it would make a good thread, something like capsule sized myths, 256 characters or less, or something. I don't know. But I also don't want to hide the fact that I intend to use these for my own little project. Like, it feels sleazy, somehow, even thought I think it would make an interesting thread?

Help me out, guys, I have autism and don't understand nuance very well.

Start a thread and give some examples and I'm sure some people will pitch in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Whichever has some sort of deadline gets put off until that's looming, otherwise it's wherever I had an idea or saw something I wanted to try.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

lofi posted:

Agreed. Buy her a nice juicy set of paints, an easel, something that's fun. She'll have plenty of time to turn it into soul-crushing technical labour later.

e: Hell, give her a budget and take her to an art shop, let her explore what's available and choose for herself.

Or IMO watch a few youtube videos about this otherwise you'll end up missing some of the color essentials for oil painting, or you won't get the stuff to do alla prima, etc. It's worth having a little knowledge about it but it could still be fun to go in after that with a certain budget with her.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kaedric posted:

That does sound fun. I'll look around for some art shops and plan a day.

I remember when I started I googled around and there was an effortpost somewhere on reddit that covered the basics of oil painting including recommended basic equipment etc. It included some stuff I wouldn't really have thought I'd need but was glad to pick up. I think it also recommended a few Bob Ross videos to paint along to which really helped me. You and your daughter could set up in front of the TV and try to follow along if you think she'd find that fun and not be frustrated at how different hers looks from the Bob's.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Illustrator CC on a Mac — is there a way to change the default typeface? Every new document, I have to switch from Myriad Pro. Usually to Helvetica Regular.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/illustrator/using/fonts.html#Changethedefaultfont

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lori posted:

Some friends and I have all seen this exact portrait a billion times and we can not figure out who the hell it is. Can anyone identify this, and if so can you provide a link to the original?

Looks a bit like Philip V (of Spain) to me and the red would then make a lot of sense.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lots of medical anatomical guides will have full body illustrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Windows movie maker I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

I do a podcast where we adapt video games into weird audio dramas. I need a handful of people to (without pay) record a bunch of video game lines. Is it appropriate for me to create a thread for this purpose? I know about the recordthisforfree subreddit, but I'm hesitant in using it because from what I've seen, the most prolific people offering their voices there are kids, teenagers, or people who don't have a very good microphone. Not that I need anything professional, but it needs to sound... at least consistent with the bitrate of the rest of the show. Also, I have a better connection with goons than reddit? I'm still not entirely sure how reddit works.

This actually came up recently and I think someone made a thread here and it worked. Or you could do SA-Mart but for free maybe I don't know how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

credburn posted:

I do a podcast where we adapt video games into weird audio dramas. I need a handful of people to (without pay) record a bunch of video game lines. Is it appropriate for me to create a thread for this purpose? I know about the recordthisforfree subreddit, but I'm hesitant in using it because from what I've seen, the most prolific people offering their voices there are kids, teenagers, or people who don't have a very good microphone. Not that I need anything professional, but it needs to sound... at least consistent with the bitrate of the rest of the show. Also, I have a better connection with goons than reddit? I'm still not entirely sure how reddit works.

I didn't bring it up initially because I wasn't sure what you'd find but I can also record some lines, I have a decent recording setup here.