Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Crosspost from the getting paid for your art sticky thread, but I figured here would be a good spot to ask as well.

I'm commissioning my niece to convert an ink drawing I did to a vector file (is this the right term?) so I can have some shirts or stickers printed. I'm not going to sell the stuff, got no plans to license the design, profit from it in any way, or any of that. I just like the drawing and some other people do too, enough to want a sticker or shirt maybe. Anyhow, I'm sending her a scan of the drawing, and she says she should be able to do it in Illustrator pretty easily. She's a junior in an art program at a big university, very good at what she does, extremely hard working, all that. So I want to pay her the appropriate rate, but I'm not entirely sure she'll give me the fair market price since we're family.

So if some rando from the internet emailed you a drawing, said "convert to an image file that could be used with screen printing or vinyl stickers, go hog wild cleaning up whatever you think needs it," what would you charge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

VelociBacon posted:

How complicated is the image? It'd probably cost you $40 but I'd send her $100, she's in art school so it'll be fun for her to hold that amount of money, she'll never again get the chance.

It's not especially complex. It's taken me probably 3-4 hours total from first draft to current draft, most of which was tracing from the first draft.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, I hear that a lot. I was really proud of my niece a couple years ago when, during her freshman year, she made a post on her art Instagram page telling people to stop asking her for free drawings and tattoo designs and stuff if they weren't willing to pay. I think she picked up early on that she's got to be a bulldog about getting what she deserves for her work.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

crossposting from the Wacom thread.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Help!

I'm a hobbyist and would like to budget about $100 for a tablet (used on local classifieds, most likely, but not against new) and software. I want the ability to digitize my pen and ink sketches into high-resolution image files for getting stuff like stickers, t-shirts, stencils, and prints made. Sometimes I like to trace stuff out of my photography, and I've been drawing bold tattoo flash style stuff lately.

My graphic artist niece let me use her Wacom Intuos paired with Illustrator, and she and I both think a similar medium-sized tablet paired with Photoshop would be ample for my needs. I will most likely do all this on a Dell laptop and an iMac desktop. I've read a bunch of this thread and think a used Wacom Intuos would be fine, but if I'm buying new I'm leaning toward a Huion.

Please correct me, verify my ideas, or nudge me in better directions. I learn software pretty quickly, but moving to digital art is an entirely new thing for me and I only have these kind of vague ideas about how to jump in.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Trabant posted:

Are you effectively looking to vectorize your scans? Because if so I'll second your question. I've made some lino prints and would like the option of scaling and printing them in other ways.

Yes, precisely. I've been doing lino cuts as well and would like those vectorized. See, I don't even know the most appropriate language to use for what I want.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Trabant posted:

Yeah, I'm more or less in the same boat -- the only reason I know the term is because I ended up researching how to get a logo engraved into aluminum, and that required scanning old magazines and paying a guy on Fiverr to do the actual vector tracing...

Anyway! I went down the same tablet/Adobe/etc. research path but realized I didn't want to spend hundreds of bucks, so I'm always on the lookout for alternatives. Inkscape is free and using its built-in functions might be the way to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiFiKXlMQ2g

but I haven't tried it yet. I figure it might be even more effective if you're like me and print in monochrome. I'll scan a print or two later and report on how well it worked.

Awesome, if I can save a few bucks because I don't need all the Adobe functions, that would be great. I can always get it later if I want to complicate my life further. I'm very curious about your experience with Inkscape once you acquire it.

quote:

Also, do you post your prints anywhere? We have a trad art thread here and I'm always curious about others' works.
No, I don't, except on Instagram for friends and family. I've always been too intimidated by goon artists. It's a pretty casual hobby for me, so I usually only show my stuff to people who would at worst politely lie to me. I've been getting more serious about it lately though, so maybe I will. I just took my first commission in a long time, though, a fish for a friend's boat. I do a lot of fish.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That looks really good. I bet GIMP + Inkscape will do a lot of what I need. Most of what I do is black ink on white paper without a lot of texture, just bold lines. Should be even less work than your print to get a high res vector file.

The Godzilla print is dope on its own, I like that a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is there an airbrush thread? I'm being gifted a siphon setup and want to learn a bit about technique.