Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006
OPEN THE BLOOD GATES

Anyone have a copy of that photoshop I did of this Mike Lester cartoon, where I changed the punchline to his editor saying something like, "No, I mean you loving suck at drawing." I hosted it on Waffleimages because Imagesocket was misbehaving at the time, but when I went to dredge it out of the thread awhile ago it was gone, it seems to be missing from the big collection of photoshops.

Here's where I originally posted it.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Dr. West posted:

Drybones is A Bad Comic.

These are apparently published in The Jerusalem Post. Death to Israel, etc

Haha it's like if Ziggy got political.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

CrumFUNist! posted:

I'm also pretty sure there's a Simpsons t-shirt that has this joke with Homer, only the last panel is labeled "hungry" and his tongue is sticking out.

CrumFUNist! posted:

rall has only one expression as well: douche

Ted Rall posted:

To TIME Magazine:

Your list of the Top 10 Editorial Cartoons of 2008 is an insult to editorial cartoonists, many of whom are losing their jobs to the economic downturn in the newspaper industry. In 2008 hundreds of brilliant political cartoonists produced thousands of hard-hitting, thought-provoking and hilarious cartoons about everything from the flash in the pan that was Sarah Palin to the rise of Barack Obama, and all you could come up with was this phoned-in crap?

Never in American history have so many talented artists worked in so many diverse styles using as many approaches to produce as exciting editorial cartoonists. Yet never have the political cartoons appearing in print in mainstream print media have been so bland, inane, and just plain stupid. (The good stuff appears in alternative weeklies, family-owned dailies and, of course, online.) It's a paradox, and it's hurting our profession.

It's one thing for lousy cartoons to appear in print somewhere. It's downright appalling to anoint them the best work produced by a field in a given year. Heck, even among the artists you selected, they all did much better work than the pieces you picked. How would TIME like it if someone published a list of the Top 10 Newsmagazines of 2008—and it was just a list of blogs by 16-year-olds typing in their parents' basements?

Do us a favor: If you can't find a few clean and sober editors to take the time to sort through the year's editorial cartoons, don't bother.

Very truly yours,

Ted Rall
President
Association of American Editorial Cartoonists

He's right that the cartoons they showcased were not very good, but hello pot/kettle.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 31, 2008

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

Vote Popeye!

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

drscience posted:

sicne this is kind of an aggregate thread, I nominate Steve Sack for the Good Cartoonists section, if not the Best Cartoonist Section

Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that Sack's been sacked by his paper, or they're at least pressuring him to quit.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Grave $avings posted:

Why Gary?

"Best Gag Cartoonist" insert pun playing off double-meaning of the word "gag."

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Dr. West posted:

how many perpetrators of it think Reagan was the best president ever and crushed Communism upon his chiseled pectorals?

A: All of them.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

loving JACKALOPE! posted:

The Star Tribune is in a huge world of poo poo, I wouldn't doubt this.

So their solution to compete better with national newspapers and the internet is to make themselves more generic and offer less unique/interesting content.

BTW, at this point they've only offered him a friendly buyout, and it sounds like he declined, which means he'll probably hold on for a few more weeks/months before they ask him again, only more forcefully, and if he still turns it down they'll just fire him a few weeks/months after that.

Newspapers treat their staff like members of a mob family, except without any of the benefits.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 2, 2009

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

oh hey the first ramirez of the year

I really, really wish Ramirez had comments enabled on his cartoons' official webspace.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

ShloonTangMan posted:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

VarangianSam posted:

Pretty sure that's not garroting going on in the picture on the TV, since garroting generally involves strangulation, rather than cutting somebody's head off with what appears to be a sword.

Christ at least do some research on your crappy punchlines before you make them into crappy drawings.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

NO BLOOD FOR MOHEL posted:

I was going to go into a long-overdue talk about how if so many DH cartoons weren't piles of burning corpses or like whirling fasces decapitating Uncle Sam or whatever other "What if your Favorite Death Metal Album Was a Political Cartoon" material, he'd have more work, but then...

...you realized there are only about three or four that are.

shadysight posted:

Is there a word for the acute fear of racism? Because I have a feeling Mallard isn't going to get over it any time soon. I mean, jesus, yeah, if Obama has trouble implementing effective policy, it's because the senate and house are racist. That's absolutely what every liberal will think is the cause.

Also, Obama is apparently a Grey now.

That's the worst caricature of Obama Tinsley's done yet.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 4, 2009

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

But, in all seriousness, the leaders of the Bush Administration should be tried for war crimes.

Not even an exaggeration.

Also, people who deny gays any of the same rights they'd grant to hetero couples are human garbage on par with racists.

CrumFUNist! posted:

aahhh what the hell is that

MONICA LEWINSKY is the new CHAPPAQUIDDICK!

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Tzen posted:

This guy's cartoons are normally pretty good, what's the deal?

Toffile posted:

Arrgh these CARTOONS ARE DISGUSTING.

Magnus Vermagnusson posted:

Q: WHY?
A: Because Michael Ramirez sucks and his ideas are trash.

Petition to have Israel bomb Ramirez's house instead of Gaza.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006
Does this make it better...

?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Mr Hobo posted:

Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I would like to be.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

CrumFUNist! posted:

:tinsley: CHAPPAQUIDDUCK :tinsley:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Red_Mage posted:

I really really hope that the Times picks him up

FYI: for those who arent in the big seattle circlejerk Seattle is a 2 and a half newspaper town, The Seattle PI and the Times had some bizarre sharing agreement in place. Some people just get Tacoma's News Tribune. If the times doesn't pick up Horsey he's boned, be4cause the Trib doesnt hire cartoonists.

The Times just fired their own cartoonist.

But you're crazy if you don't think Horsey will be able to get work anywhere else. He might have to move out of state, if he doesn't get enough income from his syndicated material alone, but he'll get by on his name and connections alone. He's well-enough established that the quality of his work is pretty much irrelevant.

muscles like this? posted:

hmm yes, because reporters don't exist outside of newspapers.

There have been several lengthy conversations in D&D about this recently, and I think they all determined that "No, for all practical intents and purposes, they don't."

The only people who seemed to disagree were ones who thought bloggers, working without pay, would fill the void.

what the gently caress are you even talking about here?

He's asking you how you expect reporters to feed themselves when nobody's paying them to report the news.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 10, 2009

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

pokecapn posted:

Investigative journalism isn't limited to print. 60 Minutes, 20/20, and Dateline are still around, although they probably have no reason to expand.

Are they going to report on crime happening in small, local governments as opposed to international and national ones?

No. They probably won't even dig down into the state level, except when desperate.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

"Support your local public radio station."

Though I imagine both of these institutions would be much more universally useful if there were mandatory funding. As it is, it ends up being quite an echo chamber for culturally elite :smug:

Do we want tax dollars being used to fund journalism in the U.S., or do we want them being used to blast brown people into hamburger in the Middle East?

Oooh tough choice.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Whilst farting I posted:

You see the Republicans are the party of small government because WIRETAPPING ON AN UNPRECEDENTED LEVEL GRANTING PRESIDENT NEARLY DICTATORIAL POWERS SPENDING $300 MILLION A DAY ON A POINTLESS WAR ILLEGAL SEARCH AND SEIZURE INDEFINITELY HOLDING INNOCENT PEOPLE WITHOUT TRIAL LEAST TRANSPARENT ADMINISTRATION IN HISTORY TORTURE

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

comrade sampo posted:

Am I having a PBF moment here or does this make no loving sense to anyone else either?

Pretty sure the joke is "we have deficits FARTHER than the eye can see" but why he's attributing this to the President-elect I have no goddamn idea.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

A Goddamn Red posted:

If you changed some of the captions in any Ted Rall comic and put it on a refrigerator it would pass as a middle schooler's art class project.

Frogs Crawling on a Wheel by Ted Rall:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Whilst farting I posted:

Post comments here:

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/680/public/news943336.html

E: Hamas should consider attacking Mike Lester's office.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Zombiejack posted:

why do rightwingers see some sort of evil mastermind when they look Mahmūd Ahmadinejād as opposed to some sabre rattling crank?

Mike Keefe isn't really a right-winger. Neither is Beeler, usually.

Literally ever professional American cartoonist, liberal and conservative, has a retarded opinion on this issue.

tacodaemon posted:

he's the in-house cartoonist for the independence (missouri) examiner and syndicated thru their gatehouse media company

I need a version of :argh: that expresses more rage.

I would make one myself but I'm just too angry.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Naxuz posted:

For comparison, here's one from a centrist Finnish paper:

Haha I was going to do something like this, only mine was with a bomber instead of a tank and the stamp was going to be the women/children figures from those school xing signs.

I s'pose I still could...

CrumFUNist! posted:

I don't really see what she's arguing against... :confused:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Dr. West posted:

No I don't see the irony in calling our enemies subhuman and proceeding to genocide them why do you ask?

That's supposed to be a dog? It looks like a vicious, tiny, midget-version of Barney the Dinosaur.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Parahexavoctal posted:

Wasn't someone looking for this one?

Yeah that was me.

Also, I made that.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

wasnt ted rall the one who had kreider removed from a panel

Ted opposing you pretty much proves that you're doing everything right, as long as you're not a conservative.

E: And I suppose it would be proof that you're doing everything right then, too, though in a different sense of the word.

Deep Hurting fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 14, 2009

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

EndOfTheWorld posted:

How many times a day does Bruce Tinsley say "friend of the family?"

I bet it is more than ten.

Somebody modify the :tinsley: emoticon so it's angry and carrying a small burning cross and saying that instead of "quack."

I would but I'm too busy right now.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

VarangianSam posted:

awesome horsey snipe

This one's really old. I think it was one of the ones he got a Pulitzer for.

Red_Mage posted:

Danziger rules.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Linguica posted:

no comment

Is it bad that I didn't immediately recognize what's going on in this picture?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

Killin' kittens isn't easy
And if the thought makes you feel queasy
Grab a pitchfork from the shed

AND KILL A PUPPY DAWG INSTEAD

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

wtf is this.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

Rock, tigers, *glugglugglug*

It's not terrorism if it happens to Muslims.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

zakharov posted:

That Ted Rall cartoon is actually good.

How do you figure?

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

GOR drat OBAMA HOW DARE HE BE LIKED BY PEOPLE INSTEAD OF HATED JUST AS MUCH AS I AM!!!...:tinsley:

tacodaemon posted:

We can only hope Lester is one of the first up against the wall. :rolleyes:

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Whilst farting I posted:

Republicans are like Hannibal Lecter without the brains.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Magic floating bible because he seems to be forgetting that Michelle was the one holding it up. Unless she's holding it up WITH HER MIND.

He probably started drawing it before the actual ceremony. I got that part wrong in that cartoon of Hillary leaping at Obama as he's taking the oath, too.

...of course, I drew mine over 6 months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

Post comments here.

His Obama caricature is pretty bad, too (not Joe Liccar levels of bad, but worse than Tinsley's).