Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
Video Dance Mix,

I give it a 1/5 personally, I just wanted to put something out but I I kept knocking out the fader link and curves on the midi controller by mistake :( so transitions are rough. I'm gonna try to have a more polished one up tomorrow.

http://www.vimeo.com/4681103

5/17

New Video Mix, 2x as long, and much better playlist: http://www.vimeo.com/4693215

Afro Thunder fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's some more real deep/tech housey chillax action ok. pretty happy with how it turned out, might submit it to deepmix

may 2009
62 min, 320 kbps

jonny white - gush
donnacha costello - fathoms deep
jay tripwire - deepen to the nebulae
rico puestel - soul calyx
john delagelis - asio
evren ulusoy - vessel
kenquo - stuck in a finished dream
mechanique - a perfect alibi (jussi pekka remix)
juno 6 - hotel seeblick
martin brodin - deep poo poo (budai+vic remix)
adam jace - zoom
yakine - murphy's law (andre buljat remix)
mihai popoviciu - bis co
satoshi tomiie - madrugada

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7yhr6x

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 17, 2009

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.
http://www.ottawaraves.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=43

It's time again for a new mix! This one's to prove that Jungle can be rave music, too!

Tracklisting:

1) Roni Size and Die Feat. Holly G - Impact Music
2) MC Spyda feat. Nicky Blackmarket - Back in the Day (aka Jungle Story)
3) The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (Chase and Status rmx)
4) Original Sin - D is for Danger
5) Luna-C - My Angel (Hattrix rmx)
6) S.M.O.K.E. - Raygun
7) Phesta - Virtual Reality feat Youngman MC
8) Al-K-Ed - Selecta (defnoyz mrx)
9) Muffler - Unreal
10) Ebony Dusters - Ra
11) Chase and Status - (Informer) Judgement
12) R.O.B. - No Murder
12) Terravita - Project Mayhem
13) Xample - Breath & Stop
14) Axiom - Phalanx
15) Future Signal - Existence
16) Pendulum - Showdown

59:07

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Mr. Spooky posted:

http://www.ottawaraves.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=43

It's time again for a new mix! This one's to prove that Jungle can be rave music, too!

HACK THE PLANET!

Been waiting for another mix from you. Checking this out for sure.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

QUALITY SEIZURE-INDUCED GLITCH-HOP FUN!

Mr. Spooky posted:

Tracklisting:

1) Roni Size and Die Feat. Holly G - Impact Music
2) MC Spyda feat. Nicky Blackmarket - Back in the Day (aka Jungle Story)
3) The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die (Chase and Status rmx)
4) Original Sin - D is for Danger
5) Luna-C - My Angel (Hattrix rmx)
6) S.M.O.K.E. - Raygun
7) Phesta - Virtual Reality feat Youngman MC
8) Al-K-Ed - Selecta (defnoyz mrx)
9) Muffler - Unreal
10) Ebony Dusters - Ra
11) Chase and Status - (Informer) Judgement
12) R.O.B. - No Murder
12) Terravita - Project Mayhem
13) Xample - Breath & Stop
14) Axiom - Phalanx
15) Future Signal - Existence
16) Pendulum - Showdown

59:07

Haven't even clicked yet and you get mad props for using Ra in the set.

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

SixOhSix posted:

Haven't even clicked yet and you get mad props for using Ra in the set.

EZ! Tell me what you think of it.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Mr. Spooky posted:

EZ! Tell me what you think of it.

Pretty tight mix overall, I am enjoying it. Track selection is pretty nice, good selection of new and classic tracks in there. I've got notepad fired up and am writing a detailed critique of it if you'd like me to post that as well. Most of it is pretty positive, and where I'm picking on anything it's just to get really detailed to point out any possible improvements as small as they may be, so don't take anything as bad. As far as sets go, it's well done.

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

SixOhSix posted:

Pretty tight mix overall, I am enjoying it. Track selection is pretty nice, good selection of new and classic tracks in there. I've got notepad fired up and am writing a detailed critique of it if you'd like me to post that as well. Most of it is pretty positive, and where I'm picking on anything it's just to get really detailed to point out any possible improvements as small as they may be, so don't take anything as bad. As far as sets go, it's well done.

There's one obviously bad mix (ask me about having to do another take because Wavelab 5 bugs THE gently caress OUT in Vista), and I'm experimenting with a new style that's significantly less blendey than what I normally do. So please tell me what's up.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Mr. Spooky posted:

There's one obviously bad mix (ask me about having to do another take because Wavelab 5 bugs THE gently caress OUT in Vista), and I'm experimenting with a new style that's significantly less blendey than what I normally do. So please tell me what's up.

Actually you cool with me posting it here, or you want me to mail it? It's kinda long as I like to elaborate on everything, positive or negative.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

SixOhSix posted:

Actually you cool with me posting it here, or you want me to mail it? It's kinda long as I like to elaborate on everything, positive or negative.

hopefully he's cool with you posting it here. this thread needs more detailed criticism

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah I'm cool.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Okidoke, gonna roll this out then, big block of text incoming!

Track selection: great pick of new and old, blend techniques sound varied meaning good usage of skill and not sounding repetitive as an overall mix. Only overall issue is it seemed like on occasion it'd have a sudden change of style. Some of it probably could be solved with a bit better of a starting point on a couple of the tracks.

1st transition: great blend, good use of 1st track's flow.
2nd transition: a little rough, tough track to begin with and tougher to blend nicely with Back in the Day. Hard to say what way to improve it, since really I'm just basing off of I can tell a very slight clash in just how the tracks are blending.
3rd transition: better selection for tracks to mix together, good flow, nice quick transition.
4th transition: another good one, mix has a feeling of a defined flow now. previous track dropped out there possibly a TAD too quick, but at that point I'm just getting really nitpicky to find areas to improve.
5th transition: a little rough, the section you used sounded like a bit of a hard area to mix into, I'm not as familiar with Raygun, but it felt just slightly out of place as far as the set selection goes up to this point.
6th transition: now these two tracks worked well together. Almost didn't catch that transition which is always a good sign.
7th transition: NICE. 'Nuff said about that part.
8th transition: Once again, VERY well done. if you didn't know the tracks real well or were not really listening for the transitions, it'd be drat near impossible to tell.
9th transition: a leeeeettle rough, I'm gonna be psychotically nitpicky and personal preference here since Ra is my favorite banger. I wouldn't have so much used the beginning of it to mix into, but maybe a bit after it drops into the track. The low points are not a good point to mix in well with this track, just because that lone beat can mess you up very easily. Hard to say what would work best though because this version of Ra is a tough one. Also, this was the Original Sin remix as well, just to make sure you got it tagged right. ;)
10th transition: oof, a bit rough. hard cut so I'm guessing you knew already. At least it was a quick cut before it got messy, so no trainwreck is all good.
11th transition: good quick transition, nothing to complain about there.
12th transition: good blend, Project Mayhem's entrance was a bit overpowering, adjusting the gain on the deck a touch lower would probably solve that real easy.
13th transition: came in a little overpowering there after the initial gradual lead-in to in the middle of the transition, otherwise fantastic.
14th transition: Good blend. Play off of some of the quick breaks in tracks like the one in Phalanx during the transition, IE: when that one beat break happens, drop the channel volume to Breathe & Stop and bring it back in so it fits right with what Phalanx is doing. Makes transitions more seamless, but can be tricky to get down without REALLY knowing the tracks or using a digital setup where you can see when those sudden breaks happen.
15th transition: Good blend, another good point to use what I mentioned in the previoud transition. There was that approximately 2 measure rhythm breakdown in Existence that would have really shined nice solo and then continue the blend when the track goes back to full force. That's getting hella music theory though so take it as you will, most people in a club would probably never notice the difference.
16th transition: Blend was smooth, worked pretty well considering the difference in sound between the two tracks. Goes to prove that if you can find good points with tracks that sound quite different you can blend them real nicely.

As I've said, overall this was a great set. In a club it would have sounded fantastic. A lot of this is just finding points of possible improvement from a more technical and music theory standpoint that would push the set to drat near perfection, so definitely don't think this is some sort of "this is okay but could be a lot better." I was pretty much dissecting the mix to see what I could find, and if I'm doing that it means you're doing great.

If anyone else wants me to take a stab at tearing apart their sets feel free to let me know. I've got a ton of free-time at work this summer so I'll be more than happy to check stuff out.

SixOhSix fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 20, 2009

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks a bunch. I've already fixed the Ra reference in the tracklisting on my site, which can be explained as me jotting the listing down quickly before a gig. My bad.

Good call on noticing some of the off blends. This was my first mix using a significant number of digital tunes, and it just goes to show that I should be buying more records ;) That one bad mix and a bunch of the volume issues are, as I mentioned, the fault of my recording the drat thing for the second time in two hours while prepping a party the day after. I should probably stop doing that.

New question; mixes aside, how do you think jaded junglists would respond to something like this? Because that's a crowd that goes *way* over my head. I've been a proper raver for about 13 years now and promoting for three. I don't get the junglists any more.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Mr. Spooky posted:

New question; mixes aside, how do you think jaded junglists would respond to something like this? Because that's a crowd that goes *way* over my head. I've been a proper raver for about 13 years now and promoting for three. I don't get the junglists any more.

This is a tough question, because junglists, by nature, can be some of the most elitist as far as rave communities. This isn't to say any core group is any different, but junglists have been known to be a bit more vocal.

I will tell you right now, since Pendulum is in there AT ALL, they will hate it without a listen. A lot of your traditional junglists will hate some of the tracks deeming them "clownstep" and pretty much just hating on it for not being, well, jungle. Now I'm trying to say this right since I don't want it to come off as a complete blanket statement (especially since my best friend is a junglist, and a hell of a ragga/junge DJ too), but a lot of the people who have the feeling to carry the title on their sleeve really hate the more tech style that your set is. If you spin that set at most any rave though, people will dig it, because you have a ton of different people there, and everyone (should be) there with the intention of having fun and enjoying music.

If people love the set, that's what matters. Don't be influenced by those who get in cliques around specific genres (or even more specific styles within the genre). That's just a method of pigeonholing your interests and never expanding and learning what all is out there.

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

SixOhSix posted:

This is a tough question, because junglists, by nature, can be some of the most elitist as far as rave communities. This isn't to say any core group is any different, but junglists have been known to be a bit more vocal.

I will tell you right now, since Pendulum is in there AT ALL, they will hate it without a listen. A lot of your traditional junglists will hate some of the tracks deeming them "clownstep" and pretty much just hating on it for not being, well, jungle. Now I'm trying to say this right since I don't want it to come off as a complete blanket statement (especially since my best friend is a junglist, and a hell of a ragga/junge DJ too), but a lot of the people who have the feeling to carry the title on their sleeve really hate the more tech style that your set is. If you spin that set at most any rave though, people will dig it, because you have a ton of different people there, and everyone (should be) there with the intention of having fun and enjoying music.

If people love the set, that's what matters. Don't be influenced by those who get in cliques around specific genres (or even more specific styles within the genre). That's just a method of pigeonholing your interests and never expanding and learning what all is out there.

My main reason for asking is that where I'm at (Ottawa, Canada), I've been getting gigs all over the place in the rave scene, but I've gotten very few gigs in the quite robust jungle scene here in five years. This is despite the fact that I've played some big parties and festivals (I played WEMF in my first year playing records) and that I get the best crowd reactions every time I play a jungle night. It's bloody frustrating.

Steve Evets
Feb 6, 2006

Right, 3 for the Memorial Day/Bank Holiday Weekend. First mix is smooth, night on the town type house and progressive house. The second mix is trance. The third is deep, dark, filthy progressive house and techno. Yes they have cheesy names. Enjoy!

Tracklist:

1. Ben Watt feat Julie Biel – Guinea Pig (DJ Koze Vocal Variation Remix) [Buzzin Fly]
2. Joel Mull – Soursweet (Petar Dundov Remix) [Spectrum Recordings]
3. Chris Fortier – Losing Wait (John Selway Lightwave Remix Version Two) [Fade Records]
4. Code 718 – Equinox (Henrik Schwarz Remix) [Strictly Rhythm]
5. Junior Boys – Hazel (Ewan Pearsons House Dub) [Domino]
6. Sasha vs Adam Parker – Highlife (Sasha Invol2ver Remix) [Renaissance]
7. Rone – Belleville (Clara Moto and Tyler Pope Remix) [InFine]
8. Pezzner – Valldemossa [Strictly Rhythm]
9. Gui Boratto – Take My Breath Away (John Tejada Remix) [Freerange Records]
10. Darko Esser – Cold Feet (Tommy Four Seven Remix) [Wolfskuil Ltd]
11. Charlie May – Demons Amongst Us [La Tour]
12. Derrick May – Strings of Life (Tom Middleton Remodel) [Rennaisance]
13. Omid 16b – The Move (Live Vocal Mix) [Sex on Wax]
14. Glenn Morrison – Orange Glow (Robert Babicz Remix) [Audio Therapy]

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CPPC37N1

1. Rennie Foster – Devil’s Water (James Zabiela’s More Umph Edit) [Rebirth]
2. Lank – Twinge (Logiztik Sounds & Mauricio Duarte Remix) [Boz Boz]
3. Akisy – Time Never Stop (2009 Original Mix) [Moove In Records]
4. Nosmo vs Kris B – One for the Road (Blake Jarrell Remix) [Armada]
5. Jairus Miller – Lurker [Source of Gravity Digital]
6. Manipura – Super Grapes [No Border Recordings]
7. Dio S – Second Run [Method]
8. Eepica – Under Rain [Green Martian Belgium]
9. Lifecycle – Gluttonous Dub [Ricochet Records]
10. Oliver Prime – Sights Beyond [J00F Recordings]
11. Thermo – Sunburn [Techhead Recordings]
12. Mansun – Wide Open Space (Greg Downey Bootleg) [CDR]

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GOS496XC

1. Aux 88 – Are We Alone? [Puzzlebox Records]
2. Brendon Moeller – Traffic (New Wipers Mix) [Third Ear]
3. Minilogue – Animals (Beat Pharmacy Into the Wild Dub Mix) [Cocoon Recordings]
4. Quivver – Is There Anybody Out There (Android Cartel Remix) [Boz Boz]
5. Moshic – Reflex (Part A) [Contrast Records]
6. Glenn Morrison – Orange Glow (Charlie May Remix) [Audio Therapy]
7. Astronivo – From Here (Mos Remix) [Flow Vinyl]
8. Astronivo – From Here (Original Mix) [Flow Vinyl]
9. King Roc – A Pocket Full of Prose (Darko Esser Remix) [Process]
10. Layo & Bushwacka! – Strictly L&B [Olmeto Records]
11. Nosak – Unexplored Fields (Audio Noir Bermuda Mix)[Next Dimension Music]
12. Gower Ramsey & George Tsioutsias – Delusion (Argy’s Big Room Dub) [District of Corruption]
13. Dirty Disorder – Life in a Fishbowl (Patch Park Remix) [Audio Therapy]
14. Acensor – Midnight [0815 Records]
15. Peter Van Hoesen – Attribute One (MLZ Remix) [Time to Express]

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W5TRRGAI

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
http://www.zshare.net/audio/6025973701edd2bc/

This is my first mix recorded on turntables instead of Ableton. Bouncy house music. Please critique it. I mess up a couple times but nobodys perfect. I'll post a tracklist if anyone wants it.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Altoidss posted:

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6025973701edd2bc/

This is my first mix recorded on turntables instead of Ableton. Bouncy house music. Please critique it. I mess up a couple times but nobodys perfect. I'll post a tracklist if anyone wants it.

I'll give it a listen today and critique it if you'd like. If you can post a tracklist it'll make it easier for me to pick out tracks.

Edit: hmm, apparently zShare is packet-shaped to all hell on my work's network for some reason (which is odd because I'm certain almost any other sharing service works). I'll grab it after work tonight and check it out then or first thing tomorrow.

SixOhSix fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 20, 2009

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

SixOhSix posted:

I'll give it a listen today and critique it if you'd like. If you can post a tracklist it'll make it easier for me to pick out tracks.

And you ought to make it as easy as possible for SixOhSix to give you the best advice he possibly can. It's rare for anybody to have the time to critique such things, especially remotely and everything this man says is gold.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Altoidss I punked out on listening to some of your mixes before so I'm doing it now.

e: But so far, I'm way impressed with the speed and cleanliness of your mixing. Especially for a first time dude, drat.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 20, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

ManoliIsFat posted:

e: But so far, I'm way impressed with the speed and cleanliness of your mixing. Especially for a first time dude, drat.

:)

Ok, here's a tracklist...

Lykke Li - Dance Dance Dance (Buraka Som Sistema remix)
Trevor Loveys - Byrdy
Young Punx - Juice and Gin (Riva Star remix)
Elite Force - No Turning Back (Mowgli & Solo remix)
Robyn S - Show Me Love (Afrojack remix)
Mr. Miyagi - We Are Back
Rex The Dog - Bubbilicious (Congorock remix)
Djedjotronic - Dirty & Hard (Congorock remix)
Supabeatz - No More Down (Mikix the cat remix)
Gigi Barocco - Puah
Diplo feat. Rye Rye - Wassup Wassup (Crookers remix)
Lord Skywave- Something (Andy George remix)
Little Boots - New In Town (A1 Bassline remix)
Esser - Work it out (A1 Bassline remix)

also, two comments -

The mix into Show Me Love is tragic... I almost had it

and the last blend is MY DISCOVERY so nobody steal it

edit - corrected spelling of mikix the cat

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 20, 2009

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Altoidss posted:

Trevor Loveys - Byrdy
Mr. Miyagi - We Are Back
Supabeatz - No More Down (Mixix the cat remix)
Gigi Barocco - Puah

also, two comments -

Ooooooh poo poo, I'm gonna love this once I get a chance. Seeing names outta my track library.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Pretty great dude. For a first time, your pacing and speed and track selection were just great. Not my style of music so I can't tell how hip all those tracks are, but you should be proud. There's really nothing I can say, not even any small things. A very solid mix. I felt like I was at a Trouble & Bass night.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

ManoliIsFat posted:

I felt like I was at a Trouble & Bass night.

manoli i think that was the best possible thing you could have said I'm so stoked right now :D

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Altoidss posted:

Trevor Loveys - Byrdy
Mr. Miyagi - We Are Back
Supabeatz - No More Down (Mikix the cat remix)
Gigi Barocco - Puah

also, two comments -

edit - corrected spelling of mikix the cat

cool tracklist, we definitely frequent the same blogs :)

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Just finally got the ability to listen to it. Already can tell I'm gonna have to really dig to find any criticism. I'll have a full critique up in a couple hours.

EDIT: Alright, critique ahoy Altoidss!

Track selection and flow: Exceptional. The tracks compliment each other well in each transition, the mix has a feeling of progression that works well. Only complaint is how little of each track is being played. Feels like a quick sampler set. I'm assuming this is primarily just since you're doing your first stab at mixing with vinyl.

1st transition: right off the bat, very smooth work, great EQ balance. I can already tell I'm gonna have to get vicious to find areas to improve.
2nd transition: Blending overall is good, beatmatch was JUST barely off at the start, I'm using very balanced headphones and EQ settings to really spot anything. EQ is still fantastically balanced. These tracks play off each other well. Byrdy's drop off was alright, maybe toy with see if you can make it go all the way to the breakdown just a bit later on in Juice and Gin just for the sake of experimenting and see how it flows.
3rd transition: Beatmatching is spot-on. EQ blend is right on. I have to really pay attention to tell where the transitions are. NICE drop point.
4th transition: Not sure where you're thinking the transition into Show me Love is tragic. Its was spot-on as far as lineup. I'd almost be just getting over-critical to even say there was an issue of keys between tracks.
5th transition: Ah, this must be the transition you meant. We Are Back was brought in a little too fast and loud, could have benefitted from a more gradual transition. Even maybe some EQ work to bring in elements of it, then switch the bass from Show Me Love to it when the upwards bass riff kicks in, and then drop Show Me Love when it breaks down.
6th transition: Wow, brought that one in real quick. That's some fast work for using vinyl. Blended REAL well and almost didn't even catch it.
7th transition: Good build-up in the transition. Maybe got a little cluttered rhythm-wise in the last measure or two of the blend but at this point I'm nitpicking to a level that would potentially be impossible to really fix, so you most likely don't need to worry about that criticism.
I also have decided I need to get Djedjotronic - Dirty & Hard (Congorock remix) now.
8th transition: Nicely crossfaded. Balanced pretty well, maybe would have dropped the bass of Dirty & hard a little easier, it sounds like you may have also dropped the track a liiiittle early as well. Make sure if there's a good breakdown like that one in No More Down to utilize it as a good point to cut the previous track.
9th transition: A little off-sounding, hard to truly tell. I think it's primarily because that wobble effect in Puah is really hard to tell on where the beat is at for the track.
10th transition: Maybe a little soon to be switching to tracks already? I was really enjoying the peak to Puah there. Nonetheless, very smooth quick transition, definitely no complaints there.
11th transition: woo, a little sudden, would have maybe started it at the beginning of that specific phrase in Wassup Wassup. The dropoffs seemed to line up great though, so maybe just use a bit more of where you started with Something.
12th transition: Nice and smooth, possibly a touch louder than Something, the tracks really compliment each other in that transition though, it seems like the cut of Something was a little sudden and late though. Mad props on spinning one of the tracks in my electro/fidget library. ;)
13th transition: Pretty good, when Work It Out does that backspin effect I would have dropped New In Town's channel to make its effect more noticable. I see why you really liked that blend though, the basslines line up great. Kicks are JUST a touch off in beatmatching later in the transition, would be pretty much unnoticable though on a speaker system.

Overall, this is a FANTASTIC first attempt at mixing with vinyl, especially going from Ableton which is a whole different style of mixing. You're definitely on the right track if I'm getting this picky to find any issues. Looking back it's primarily just with with where tracks are being brought in or taken out feels occasionally sudden. Usually try to keep phrasing lined up (the tracks are following real basic patterns so 1st measure of every 8 or 16 makes for great spots) to really make the blends absolutely flawless from a theory and aesthetic standpoint.

SixOhSix fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 20, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Wow, thanks for all this thought! I do think I mix a bit too quickly. I should probably work on taking more time to make sure everything is fully beatmatched and find a good mix point.

SixOhSix posted:

4th transition: Not sure where you're thinking the transition into Show me Love is tragic. Its was spot-on as far as lineup. I'd almost be just getting over-critical to even say there was an issue of keys between tracks.
It's tragic cause I brought in Show Me Love about 2 bars too late. I was trying to line up No Turning Back's drop and Show Me Love's break, but it didn't work out so I had to do my reverb/delay trick and get it out.

I love doing that. Both of my effects units in Traktor are cranked reverb and delay chains and I can just make a bunch of noise and hit the stop button on one of my decks and its a really cool effect.

quote:

10th transition: Maybe a little soon to be switching to tracks already? I was really enjoying the peak to Puah there. Nonetheless, very smooth quick transition, definitely no complaints there.
I agree with you here, especially cause the next break in Puah is this really cool half time thing. I probably should have let it play. I get impatient though!

quote:

12th transition: Nice and smooth, possibly a touch louder than Something, the tracks really compliment each other in that transition though, it seems like the cut of Something was a little sudden and late though. Mad props on spinning one of the tracks in my electro/fidget library. ;)

ahahahahah this is the big gently caress up of the mix (aside from a phrasing issue between We Are Back and Bubbilicious). What happened is that my control vinyl was about to run out so I switched Something to internal playback, and never switched it back. So I was trying to do the effect buildup I always do, I hit the stop button on my deck at the break and the track keeps playing! That's a mistake I'll never make again...

quote:

Overall, this is a FANTASTIC first attempt at mixing with vinyl, especially going from Ableton which is a whole different style of mixing. You're definitely on the right track if I'm getting this picky to find any issues. Looking back it's primarily just with with where tracks are being brought in or taken out feels occasionally sudden. Usually try to keep phrasing lined up (the tracks are following real basic patterns so 1st measure of every 8 or 16 makes for great spots) to really make the blends absolutely flawless from a theory and aesthetic standpoint.

Thanks for the time and effort! I'll keep that in mind when I do my next mix, especially about mixing slower.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Altoidss posted:

Thanks for the time and effort! I'll keep that in mind when I do my next mix, especially about mixing slower.

Glad I could help! I'm really avid with music theory and DJ technique, so yea as long as people want me to keep this up, I'll definitely continue critiquing.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
Dub-xygen - 40:27
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/STRANGERSONG/Dub-xygen.mp3

A bit of a mix I did, dubstep, jungle and breaks all together. United by feeling, more so than genre.

Kryptic Minds - Six Degrees
Photek - Knitevision
Boards of Canada - Rue The Whirl
Hudson Mohawke - Overnight
Joker - Snake Eater
Burial - Unite
The Bug - Freak Freak
Digital Mystikz - Anti War Dub
16 Bit - Twice
Commix - Be True
Origin Unknown - Valley Of The Shadows
Silkie - I Sed
Zomby - Test Me For A Reason
Synkro - Don't Know
A Guy Called Gerald - Findlay's Rainbow
The Others - Kinda Blue

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

IanTheM posted:

Joker - Snake Eater

siiiiick tracks right here

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

IanTheM posted:

A bit of a mix I did, dubstep, jungle and breaks all together. United by feeling, more so than genre.

Photek - Knitevision
Joker - Snake Eater
Burial - Unite
The Bug - Freak Freak
16 Bit - Twice
Commix - Be True
Silkie - I Sed
Synkro - Don't Know
The Others - Kinda Blue

~~you dont know.....im in loOove wit you~~

good tunes on this, ill listen

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

IanTheM posted:

Photek - Knitevision
Joker - Snake Eater
Burial - Unite
The Bug - Freak Freak
16 Bit - Twice
Commix - Be True
Silkie - I Sed
Synkro - Don't Know
The Others - Kinda Blue

I definitely understand the concept of mixing by the sound of the songs and breaking boundaries of genre. If done right, it can sound great. That said, there's some work that could really be done here.

First off, it's just like you're giving a small sample of each track. With something like this, let the tracks go longer. Especially when hopping genres like this the transitions need to be pretty long to give more of a mashup feel to them. The sensation I got with some of the blends was just "okay we did a bit of this now let's slide into something kinda sounding like it" with a few of them just sort of sound collaging and no real beatmatching done. Some of the tempo changes are way too abrupt too. You want to ease that sort of thing gradually.

The big thing with a set like this that defines itself by flow and sound alone and not genre is they have to have more planning to them to work real well. Many of these tracks would flow great with each other with the right amount of practice. A few of them though (Overnight for example) felt just like a sudden jump that was out of place. These types of mixes are just hell to do right because you can leave the crowd confused on what's going on so very easily. I've seen it firsthand experience with a fellow local DJ that just jumped around everywhere in styles of DnB with no regard to flow.

That said, there are some better transitions in there, especially in the last quarter of the mix. The one between Unite and Freak Freak felt pretty good. Many of them though just felt like quick crossfades, and especially with something like this you should stay away from that crossfader as much as possible and work more with channel volume and EQ. Gradual genre transition is key here to ease the crowd into the direction you're going.

Your head is definitely in the right direction, many of these tracks could flow real well. The execution just needs some significant work. Practice it by using all of each track, and blending at least one or two minutes of the beginning and ends of each track to get the beatmatching right. You're going to get down making sure they line up, and balance the EQ and gain so it feels like one smooth mashup. Eventually if you want to get trickier, if there's a significant tempo difference between the two tracks, you bring both up grdually to the natural speed of the track you're blending into.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

IanTheM posted:

Photek - Knitevision
Joker - Snake Eater
Burial - Unite
The Bug - Freak Freak
16 Bit - Twice
Commix - Be True
Silkie - I Sed
Synkro - Don't Know
The Others - Kinda Blue

nice man i like the speedy mixing

i like the "feel" of this mix, good song selection :D

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

A MIRACLE posted:

In a thread as rigourous as this, I think that's probably the best comment you could receive. On the d/l now, very excited. Any mix that swings from Boards to Burial has my vote.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

As a sort of interest check and to help in trying to get our little corner a little livelier, I'm looking into the possibility of doing some sort of live video webcast mix this weekend or next weekend. If I do it this weekend, it'll probably be on Sunday, if next weekend then I'll mention a specific day once I know what the schedule will be like. I'm gonna spend a good chunk of tomorrow figuring out how I want to rig equipment up to do it, so if anyone wants to show interest or give ideas, shout something and I'll look into incorporating it.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

SixOhSix posted:

As a sort of interest check and to help in trying to get our little corner a little livelier, I'm looking into the possibility of doing some sort of live video webcast mix this weekend or next weekend. If I do it this weekend, it'll probably be on Sunday, if next weekend then I'll mention a specific day once I know what the schedule will be like. I'm gonna spend a good chunk of tomorrow figuring out how I want to rig equipment up to do it, so if anyone wants to show interest or give ideas, shout something and I'll look into incorporating it.

That would be cool, but record it just in case cause I'll probably miss it lol

any LA peeps go see Deadmau5??? He was sick

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

A MIRACLE posted:

Thanks for listening, and the advice. I know I'm not really the best at this, but I'm trying to get better all the time. Most of the reason for the fast mixing was using tracks that weren't exactly obviously progressive, and I didn't know how long my friends would keep paying attention to stuff like Photek slowed to 140 bpm. So I'll make sure to post my next one up once I collect enough tracks that I'm really feeling.

SixOhSix
Apr 7, 2006

Alright, already got a rather makeshift setup figured out, broadcast will start tomorrow (5/24) at 3pm EST at http://www.justin.tv/sixohsix . It'll go for around an hour (maybe longer if people want it), and with a little luck we can maybe get this into something a handful of us can do regularly.

JustWalkedIn
Jul 18, 2006
Long time reader, first time poster.
This is my first mix ever, basically a lot of electro. The songs do hold out for a while and if anything that is because I was still newbish and my main goal was to get X number of songs mixed no matter what. This was all done with Ableton Live and my laptop.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/57910616924c8977/

1. Afrika Bambaataa - Looking For The Perfect Beat
2. Bag Raiders - Turbo Love
3. Crookers vs. Salt N Peppa - Love to Push It (Ursula 1000 Edit)
4. BURNS - Alternate
5. C.Y.O.A (Flosstradamus Remix) - Heartsrevolution
6. Surkin - Ghetto Obsession 2006
7. Playdoe - It's That Beat (Toxic Avenger Remix)
8. DATA - Aerius Light
9. Louis La Roche - Peach (Camron Suck It Or Not, Let's Go To War and Rynecologist Edit)
10. Louis La Roche - On The Floor
11. Way Out West vs. La Tour - People Are Still Out West
12. Tittsworth ft. Pase Rock & Kid Sister - WTF (Nadastrom on Drugs Remix)
13. Khia - My Neck, My Back (Lick It) (sqzmylmns - my kneck my knobb remix)
14. LMFAO - I'm in Miami Bitch!
15. The Bucketheards - The Bomb (BURNS Remix)
16. White Lies - Farewell To The Fairground (Yuksek Remix)
17. Tigersapien - God Knows (Kolt13 - Pornostream Remix)
18. Fake Blood - MARS

So rip up, tear this mix apart. The one thing that is off right away is the transition from 4 to 5. I would have fixed it but unfortunately I just lost everything I was working on in Ableton (Forgot to copy over My Ableton Live folder for back-up when I reformatted my HD, stupid I know :*( I appreciate any and all advice. So tally-ho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
i made a lil mixtape with some of my own tunes in there. its a bit long and my own tunes stick out like badly mixed thumbs but whatever. dubstep/techno.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/60501716c4689eba/

Dan Deacon – Wet Wings
Dogworld – Dust
TRG – Ghetto Romance
Synkro – Rooted
Boxcutter – Sidetrak
Burial – In McDonalds
Nelly Furtado ft. Timbaland – Promiscuous (Flying Lotus Remix)
Ras G – Astrohood
Yppah – Gumball Machine Weekend (Dogworld Remix)
Thriller – Hubble
2562 – Embrace
Truth – The Fatman
Shuttle – Tunnel (Dogworld Remix)
Kode9 vs Badawai – Den of Drumz
Jackies Army – Murther (Iris Soundsystem Remix)
Dogworld - Market
El-B – Express
Jackies Army – Murther (Tito Corp Offshore Remix)
Siopsis – Penny from the Lane
Stimming – Song for Isabelle
Appleblim & Geiom – Flame Tree
Martyn – krdl-t-grv
Dogworld - Clubrat
Actress - Crushed
EQD- Untitled
Andy Stott – Black
Quantec – Abyss (Version 3)
Ben Klock – Gloaming
Kiki – Immortal
Ocuban – Phylum
Burial – Dog Shelter (Dogworld’s Sheltered Remix)

• Locked thread